Alan Wake Limited Edition (360) $39.99 at Amazon

aaron50

CAGiversary!
[IMG-R=5838]18049[/IMG-R]Hardbound in quality linen, the Limited Collector’s edition is designed to resemble a hardcover book. The pack will include:

• Game Disc in box with unique art
  • Exclusive In-Game Audio Commentary and Hints by Remedy
  • “The Alan Wake Files” – a 144pg book that includes a short story written by Alan Wake and compiles the FBI dossiers investigating the events in Bright Falls, WA
  • Exclusive Audio Disc with Soundtrack and Score
  • Game Add-on token redeemable on Xbox LIVE for the first Alan Wake add-on content pack
  • Exclusive Xbox disc with special content: Alan Wake Xbox Live Theme and Alan Wake Avatar for Xbox LIVE
:360: Alan Wake Limited Edition $39.99

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='spincut']Hm, well I take it no one knows how long this deal will last like with other odd super amazon deals of the past, so I may want to jump on this.

Question though, anyone fathom why this is such a deal?

What I mean is, are they planning some super edition to combine with the DLC stuff rendering this version absolete or something? Why is this deal so good? Usually it's because there's something on the horizon that would make people not want this version....[/QUOTE]

I think lack of sales would rule out a super edition.

This is simply a case of too much stock in the warehouse and they need to clear out these (relatively) big boxes. Nobody was buying them at $79.99.

[quote name='spincut']Hm, well I take it no one knows how long this deal will last like with other odd super amazon deals of the past, so I may want to jump on this.

Question though, anyone fathom why this is such a deal?

What I mean is, are they planning some super edition to combine with the DLC stuff rendering this version absolete or something? Why is this deal so good? Usually it's because there's something on the horizon that would make people not want this version....[/QUOTE]

Microsoft always overproduces the LE that are not retailer exclusive, see the difference between Halo 3 vs. ODST and Forza 3 (both Gamestop exclusive) for example. Amazon probably has a bunch of these siting around and they want to clear them out to make room for more stuff.

There's only going to be 2 DLC packs and 1 of them is free with the purchase of any new version, so it doesn't make much sense to repackage the game just to add-on 1 more dlc pack card. Now something like Borderlands, Dragon Age, Battlefield, Fallout, etc. with a LOT of DLC is a different story.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Microsoft always overproduces the LE that are not retailer exclusive, see the difference between Halo 3 vs. ODST and Forza 3 (both Gamestop exclusive) for example. Amazon probably has a bunch of these siting around and they want to clear them out to make room for more stuff.

There's only going to be 2 DLC packs and 1 of them is free with the purchase of any new version, so it doesn't make much sense to repackage the game just to add-on 1 more dlc pack card. Now something like Borderlands, Dragon Age, Battlefield, Fallout, etc. with a LOT of DLC is a different story.[/QUOTE]

True about Halo, however difference being is I don't think I've ever seen a Halo LE on sale for such a price (or maybe it was and I didn't notice, I dunno, so far I own both the regular and ODST bare normal versions).

[quote name='spincut'] Why is this deal so good? Usually it's because there's something on the horizon that would make people not want this version....[/QUOTE]

a price drop?

I was waiting to pick up the reg ed in the 15-20 range, but this is mighty tempting.

I doubt there will be any double dip version seeing as how poor the sales were.

Well I didnt wait for much from other users since I wasn't sure how long this would stay up for, low sales and high stock or not, since I haven't really seen much on CAG worth getting for me in a while anyway.

However, I will say when I bought I noticed it said estimated ship date was like, the 20th. So hmmm, never a good sign when it takes a place like Amazon 7 days to locate package and ship something by estimate. Maybe they already sold their stock....I mean, this deal has been up all day and this thread has already well bulged with many many early buyers and interest so maybe some of us later buyers will be eventually getting a shoulder shrug letter in the near future instead of a shipment notice?

[quote name='confoosious']Or simply that they had a lot of stock.

It's not like there were 100 copies and 4 sold. They had well over 1000 copies.[/QUOTE]

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I didn't see the info anywhere. How do you know how many copies they had/have? Is it somewhere clickable from the product page?

Dammit. I bit. I was waiting on this for $20 but if I can sell this edition for $20 after playing it and reading the book and everything it will be worth it. Mine ships September 20.

[quote name='romeogbs19']It's like reading a book only to find that the last few chapters have been ripped out.[/QUOTE]

I see what you did there :D

And you should buy this game. This is the first game I've ever purchased twice, but a developer like Remedy deserves the money.

[quote name='teknikalei']Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I didn't see the info anywhere. How do you know how many copies they had/have? Is it somewhere clickable from the product page?[/QUOTE]

Add a high quantity to your cart (ex. 999) and if there is less in stock than the amount you entered, it will only add the on-hand amount to your cart.

[quote name='Jodou']Uh, L4D1-2 were not exclusive to 360.[/QUOTE]

PC doesn't count. And neither is MW2, which you originally had in your post as an exclusive for some weird reason. ;)

Well I caved in. Was going to wait for this to hit around 20 bucks, but I do like whats in this Collector's edition and to me its worth the price.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wen't for this deal and i wasn't even planning on it.

I just got the normal copy for 20 bucks at ToysRS a few weeks ago and it's still brand new because i am waiting for my 360 to be delivered.

[quote name='jughead']Argh! I bit too! I goozex'ed my regular edition for 1000pts. I guess that will work. Thanks OP.[/QUOTE]

Same here

Curse you, OP and Amazon. I caved. Rationalized that I'll have some time to reflect and cancel when I come to my senses.

I don't care too much about more depth to the story: if you haven't sufficiently communicated the story through the game, fail. For me, it really comes down to the value of the "making of" commentary/book content. That's still not very clear to me from what I've read so far. In total, is it more substantive than the typical handful of 3-minute superficial interviews that come with most LEs?

[quote name='gantt']Curse you, OP and Amazon. I caved. Rationalized that I'll have some time to reflect and cancel when I come to my senses.

I don't care too much about more depth to the story: if you haven't sufficiently communicated the story through the game, fail. For me, it really comes down to the value of the "making of" commentary/book content. That's still not very clear to me from what I've read so far. In total, is it more substantive than the typical handful of 3-minute superficial interviews that come with most LEs?[/QUOTE]

There is no PR agency on the planet that would willing allow a "fly on the wall" documentary that covers the hissy fits and fights that are constant through long dev cycles. Likewise, there aren't many discussion of the engineer explaining their incredible tech because most people don't care.

What you do get is a general summary of the studio, the history of the company, what it's like to work in Finland. It's much better than the usual talking head EPK you get (usually repackaged web content) but it's not awesome honestly.

The book is just great though and the soundtrack is quite fun considering it has one of the better songs from the fictional band in the game.

Frak, wished I could have waited and used my Reach credit but I don't think it will be good by then. Also I'm going to have them ship it to my home address and I'm not going to be there any more lol. Been waiting on this one for a while and I love commentary/soundtrack deals.

Wonder if they're just trying to clear their entire stock of this? I'm a sucker for good LE's but usually hold off because I rarely feel the need to spend more than $50 or so on a single game. This seems like a bargain for $40, just wish I had that kind of cash to spend right now.

I bought it. I had $4.01 left over in credit from a Gamefly referral, and they sent me another $20 today for another referral. This came to $15.98 with Prime shipping for being a student! Needless to say, I'm satisfied, thanks OP!

[quote name='trabbahabba']In for 1. Price was $36.99 for me, so I guess it dropped again.[/QUOTE]

uhhhhh did you order the regular edition by mistake?

[quote name='Newl']a price drop?

I was waiting to pick up the reg ed in the 15-20 range, but this is mighty tempting.

I doubt there will be any double dip version seeing as how poor the sales were.[/QUOTE]

Didn't this game sell over 500k already? That's hardly considered poor and it's still selling pretty well if I'm not mistaken.

[quote name='gkrykewy']PC doesn't count. And neither is MW2, which you originally had in your post as an exclusive for some weird reason. ;)[/QUOTE]

Sorry but I've gotta say 360 doesn't count for L4D and L4D2. It's the far inferior version. If you were to say something like Halo 1 & 2 I'd have to agree but L4D/2 are PC games first and 360 games second.

Also couldn't resist on getting one of these. Looking forward to this LE.

[quote name='trabbahabba']In for 1. Price was $36.99 for me, so I guess it dropped again.[/QUOTE]

The price is still at $39.99 for the limited edition.
Maybe you placed an order on the standard edition which is currently priced at $36.99.

If you still want to get the limited edition, call Amazon to cancel your order as the website probably would not let you do it. If they say they can't you have an option to refuse the package when it gets home which would be the fastest and easiest way to return the item.

Thanks for the feedback. I don't expect a "fly on the wall" documentary with hissy fits - and I'm glad that I've missed out on those in my studio experience. I am looking for commentary about challenges and decisions in the development in the context of gameplay or assets, along the lines of what Valve put in the Orange Box episodes, and certainly no more sensitive then what appears every month in game dev publications.

I think the Halo 3 LE did a decent job with this.

[quote name='Fatbot3']There is no PR agency on the planet that would willing allow a "fly on the wall" documentary that covers the hissy fits and fights that are constant through long dev cycles. Likewise, there aren't many discussion of the engineer explaining their incredible tech because most people don't care.

What you do get is a general summary of the studio, the history of the company, what it's like to work in Finland. It's much better than the usual talking head EPK you get (usually repackaged web content) but it's not awesome honestly.

The book is just great though and the soundtrack is quite fun considering it has one of the better songs from the fictional band in the game.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='sherisdoppel']The price is still at $39.99 for the limited edition.
Maybe you placed an order on the standard edition which is currently priced at $36.99.

If you still want to get the limited edition, call Amazon to cancel your order as the website probably would not let you do it. If they say they can't you have an option to refuse the package when it gets home which would be the fastest and easiest way to return the item.[/QUOTE]

Wow, nice catch! Evidently I still had this in my cart from a long time ago and somehow the limited didn't add to my cart. Was able to cancel via website and order the limited edition. Thanks!

I just picked up my copy for $20 after my Metroid: Other M credit. Been waiting for the right deal to put that credit towards.

[quote name='sabanoo']Sorry but I've gotta say 360 doesn't count for L4D and L4D2. It's the far inferior version. If you were to say something like Halo 1 & 2 I'd have to agree but L4D/2 are PC games first and 360 games second.

Also couldn't resist on getting one of these. Looking forward to this LE.[/QUOTE]

This is a stupid conversation, but the original question was about the sales of 360 console exclusives. The PC version is irrelevant.

just an fyi, if you are like me and have the standard edition and plan on trading it in. Amazon increased the TIV from 15 to 21. I cancelled my trade in and resubmitted.

[quote name='gkrykewy']This is a stupid conversation, but the original question was about the sales of 360 console exclusives. The PC version is irrelevant.[/QUOTE]

:imwithst:

In relation to the actual topic I'm not sure what I want to do now that someone pointed out the $21 TIV on amazon...I was just going to keep my original copy and keep the LE sealed but it might be a good time to dump it and just open the LE.

[quote name='gkrykewy']This is a stupid conversation, but the original question was about the sales of 360 console exclusives. The PC version is irrelevant.[/QUOTE]
Lol? I think you forget that without the PC you wouldn't HAVE a L4D to port, or even a 360 console for that matter.

In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is king.

Might as well get it now. I wanted to try it but with my current backlog of games I was going to wait. Figure I will just push this to the top of the play list.

I bit yesterday, even though I bought a sealed regular edition from a friend that I haven't touched. I wanted the limited but got the regular on release day for $20 and I've wanted the game for a long time and figured I'd play it sooner rather than later (which didn't happen.)

Anyways, how long is the game? I have nearing 200 games in my backlog and kind of want to go through the shorter ones first to lighten that up, but really want to play this.

[quote name='Jodou']Lol? I think you forget that without the PC you wouldn't HAVE a L4D to port, or even a 360 console for that matter.

In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is king.[/QUOTE]

I have no idea what your point is in the context of your original post, which was a generic "lol halobox" troll. I was just pointing out that other 360 (console) exclusives have sold well, in response to that post. I clearly should not have bothered - my mistake.

[quote name='ferant316']I bit yesterday, even though I bought a sealed regular edition from a friend that I haven't touched. I wanted the limited but got the regular on release day for $20 and I've wanted the game for a long time and figured I'd play it sooner rather than later (which didn't happen.)

Anyways, how long is the game? I have nearing 200 games in my backlog and kind of want to go through the shorter ones first to lighten that up, but really want to play this.[/QUOTE]

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but if your backlog is close to 200 games you might have to just cut some of those games. Jeeze, I'm 22 years old and don't think I have even played 200 games, lol.

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']I hate to be the one to break it to you, but if your backlog is close to 200 games you might have to just cut some of those games. Jeeze, I'm 22 years old and don't think I have even played 200 games, lol.[/QUOTE]

A lot of us enjoy just collecting games. I imagine my backlog is around that big, but I do not feel bad about it because I have bought MOST of my games in the $5 area and rarely spend more then $20 on a non CE. At the end of the day who cares if I never play half of what I own, I love having the crazy collection and at the same time I probably spend half what most gamers do(since I am smart about what I buy and when I buy).

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Got my Reach credit today. $20 Alan Wake LE, here I come.[/QUOTE]

damn time to check if i got mine-goint to buy this game again anyway-to play all the dlc episodes.

[quote name='MSI Magus']A lot of us enjoy just collecting games. I imagine my backlog is around that big, but I do not feel bad about it because I have bought MOST of my games in the $5 area and rarely spend more then $20 on a non CE. At the end of the day who cares if I never play half of what I own, I love having the crazy collection and at the same time I probably spend half what most gamers do(since I am smart about what I buy and when I buy).[/QUOTE]
At $5 a game you still spent $1000+ on stuff you haven't used. I don't think that could be considered smart.

Oh man I just reordered this so that it could apply the $20 credit that I got from Halo: Reach and now its status changed to "shipping soon", im getting it tomorrow! Alan Wake LE for $25 w/one day shipping :D Thanks again op!

Edit: I still can't believe this is still in stock lol

[quote name='Envel']At $5 a game you still spent $1000+ on stuff you haven't used. I don't think that could be considered smart.[/QUOTE]

This statement should end with "to me". If the person buying such games enjoys it, and loves having the collection, that is their prerogative. I think it is smart because he at least buys them for cheap. So settle down and keep your posts about the topic.

This is the first LE I've ever bought, and can't wait. I enjoy getting into the story, so I'm watching the prequel webisodes as we speak to get ready for delivery later today. Thanks CAG for another awesome find!

[quote name='Envel']At $5 a game you still spent $1000+ on stuff you haven't used. I don't think that could be considered smart.[/QUOTE]

I've spent a ton of money on games, books and comic books. Some of which were great deals. It's true that it may not be the "smartest" thing to do... but, damn, if it's not fun. Plus, I like my stuff.

bread's done
Back