All six Star Wars coming out on BD - 09/27/11 (Amazon & BN.com pre-order links).

shrike4242

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1043 (100%)
Hell has officially frozen over:

http://starwars.com/themovies/saga/preorder_bluray/index.html

Link-lazy:
[quote name='From Starwars.com website']
Pre-order Star Wars: The Complete Saga on Blu-ray Now!

January 6, 2011

The most anticipated Blu-ray release ever -- the Star Wars Saga -- emerges from light speed this September 2011. For the first time, all six of George Lucas' epic films (Episodes I-VI) are united in one complete set. Fans worldwide are able to pre-order now with online retailers.

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment will release Star Wars in three distinct sets to meet the needs of every Star Wars fan:

* Star Wars: The Complete Saga on Blu-ray (9-disc Set includes all six films)
* Star Wars: Prequel Blu-ray Trilogy (3-disc set includes Episodes I-III)
* Star Wars: Original Blu-ray Trilogy (3-disc set includes Episodes IV-VI)

Star Wars: The Complete Saga on Blu-ray will feature all six live-action Star Wars feature films utilizing the highest possible picture and audio presentation, along with three additional discs and more than 30 hours of extensive special features including never-before-seen deleted and alternate scenes, an exploration of the exclusive Star Wars archives, and much more.

Star Wars: The Complete Saga on Blu-ray will be available for $139.99 US/$179.99 CAN and the Star Wars: Trilogy Sets for $69.99 US/89.99 CAN. Pricing for each set will vary by international territory.

Flanked by a legion of his finest Imperial stormtroopers, Darth Vader himself joined Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment President Mike Dunn at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) to announce the release, vowing "The forces of the Empire will be at your disposal to assure the success of this endeavor."

"The Star Wars Saga is the most anticipated Blu-ray collection since the launch of the high-def format," Dunn said. "The epic franchise pioneered sound and visual presentation in theaters and is perfectly suited to do it again in the home, with a viewing experience only possible with Blu-ray."

"With all six episodes available for the first time in one collection, this is a great way for families and home audiences to experience the complete Saga from start to finish," said Doug Yates, Vice President of Marketing, Online, Distribution, Lucasfilm Ltd. "And with the quality of high-definition, Blu-ray provides the most immersive home experience possible."

"The Star Wars franchise has been the most anticipated Blu-ray release by Amazon's customers," said Bill Carr, Vice President of Music and Video at Amazon.com. "We think that Star Wars will be incredibly popular with our customers, and we expect pre-orders to be very strong."
[/quote]
Amazon links:
Prequel Trilogy (@ $44.99, $69.99 MSRP): http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Prequel-Trilogy-Episodes/dp/B000PMG16U/
Original Trilogy (@ $44.99, $69.99 MSRP): http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Original-Trilogy-Episodes/dp/B000PMLFRA/
Complete Saga (@ $89.99, $139.99 MSRP): http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Complete-Episodes-Blu-ray/dp/B003ZSJ212/

BN.com has the set cheaper, as long as you pay with a VISA card:
[quote name='phantomfriar2002']BN.com has the set for $71 plus tax thanks to a 20% off one-item code for Visa cardholders (R7V9J9N).

If you get cashback from various sites, you can save another $3, so the total was $73 for me shipped after tax. That's a nice savings over the Amazon deal.

I highly doubt you'll be seeing this set lower even on Black Friday. :)
[/QUOTE]

Coupon listed above expires on 02/07/11. Problem is, it may not work:

[quote name='arcane93']Just looked at the "eligibility requirements" for the coupon:

This coupon is (i) not redeemable for cash or cash equivalents (including Gift Cards and online Gift Certificates); (ii) not valid on past purchases; (iii) not eligible for purchases of the following products and services: Barnes & Noble Memberships, Gift Cards, Gift Certificates, gift-wrapping, textbooks, video games, digital content (including but not limited to digital books, magazines, and periodicals), NOOK(TM) and related accessories, other hardware and electronics, software, products available for pre-order, products from the Rosetta Stone Series, products available for in-store ship-to-home orders, shipping or handling expenses, or products marked as not eligible for "coupons or promotional discounts;" (iv) not valid on purchases made from third parties accessible from the BN.COM website (e.g., used books, PC and video games, etc.); (v) may not be combined with any other coupon; and (vi) may not be combined with the Educator program discount. This coupon is not valid at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores. Void where prohibited by law.
So that would probably be why the pre-orders are being cancelled. Pretty lame of them to just do it without an explanation, though.[/QUOTE]

01/13/11 EDIT: BN.com has been canceling orders left and right without any explanation to why if ordered with the coupon code.

BN.com order links:
Complete Series @ $89.59: http://video.barnesandnoble.com/DVD/Star-Wars-The-Complete-Saga/Mark-Hamill/e/24543742180/
Original Saga @ $44.79: http://video.barnesandnoble.com/DVD/Star-Wars-Original-Trilogy/Mark-Hamill/e/24543742074/
Prequel Trilogy @ $44.79: http://video.barnesandnoble.com/DVD/Star-Wars-Prequel-Trilogy/Ewan-McGregor/e/24543742098/

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='shrike4242']Hell has officially frozen over:

http://starwars.com/themovies/saga/preorder_bluray/index.html

Link-lazy:

Amazon links:
Prequel Trilogy (@ $44.99, $69.99 MSRP): http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Prequel-Trilogy-Episodes/dp/B000PMG16U/
Original Trilogy (@ $44.99, $69.99 MSRP): http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Original-Trilogy-Episodes/dp/B000PMLFRA/
Complete Saga (@ $89.99, $139.99 MSRP): http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Complete-Episodes-Blu-ray/dp/B003ZSJ212/[/QUOTE]
$90 at Amazon? Not bad. Thanks!
Preordered before they bump the price up!

Preordered as a placeholder for now.

Neat I guess, as much as I don't really care to own the prequels the 3 bonus discs sound nice.

Does anyone know if these are the special editions (original trilogy)? I'll preorder now if these include the original cuts.

Is there a benefit to buying them in the complete saga collection rather than individually, given the minor discrepancy in price?

[quote name='ProtoEXE88']Preordered as a placeholder for now.

Neat I guess, as much as I don't really care to own the prequels the 3 bonus discs sound nice.[/QUOTE]Right now, each trilogy is half the price of the complete series, so it's worth getting the whole thing if you might be interested in the other trilogy at some point.

Always good to placeholder this for a while, though as we've seen with some sets in the past, it's not always cheapest at release (hello, Alien series).

I wonder if the UK versions will be region-free, and if so, if it'll be the same situation as the Alien series with the UK sets being cheaper. Knowing Lucas, probably not.

[quote name='Tronny']Does anyone know if these are the special editions (original trilogy)? I'll preorder now if these include the original cuts.[/QUOTE]I'd guess they'll probably be the special editions, since those were the only ones put to DVD. If you want original cuts, break out the VHS or LaserDisc.

They could certainly do it with seamless branching if they wanted to, though I doubt it since Lucas redid the whole trilogy from top to bottom.

These are new cuts with more modifications by George Lucas (like a CGI Yoda in Episode I). It's hasn't been confirmed, but it's highly unlikely the original theatrical versions will be included.

[quote name='Tronny']Does anyone know if these are the special editions (original trilogy)? I'll preorder now if these include the original cuts.[/QUOTE]

They're the special editions, not the originals theatrical versions.

I know, I know. ;)

[quote name='shrike4242']I'd guess they'll probably be the special editions, since those were the only ones put to DVD. If you want original cuts, break out the VHS or LaserDisc.[/QUOTE]

The theatrical versions of the original trilogy were released on DVD, but non-anamorphically....

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Epi...ef=sr_1_4?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1294345383&sr=1-4
http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Epi...ef=sr_1_7?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1294345383&sr=1-7
http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Epi...=sr_1_11?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1294345383&sr=1-11

[quote name='DetroitSportsFan']These are new cuts with more modifications by George Lucas (like a CGI Yoda in Episode I). It's hasn't been confirmed, but it's highly unlikely the original theatrical versions will be included.[/QUOTE]

I think it has been definitely confirmed that it will be the remaster versions from the 90s and not the original theatrical releases. They said it would cost way too much and be too labor intensive to do the transfer properly on the originals or some bullshit reason. I will definitely be getting the 6 disc set. Funny how this will be the second set I buy AFTER I swore I'd never buy these movies again. Dammit.

[quote name='DetroitSportsFan']These are new cuts with more modifications by George Lucas (like a CGI Yoda in Episode I). It's hasn't been confirmed, but it's highly unlikely the original theatrical versions will be included.[/QUOTE]
My only hope is that either remove Jabba from A New Hope or at least update the SFX. Jabba looks awful.

[quote name='shrike4242']Damn, I didn't know they did the release of the non-SE versions, though non-anamorphic DVDs? Yuck.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, those releases were great and sucked at the same time. :cry:

[quote name='shrike4242']Damn, I didn't know they did the release of the non-SE versions, though non-anamorphic DVDs? Yuck.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. While they did put the theatrical versions on DVD, they were such shitty quality that it mght as well have stayed on VHS.

Oh yeah... that was the big gripe about them when they were released... non anamorphic... kept me from rebuying them on dvd again

Guess its time to unload my dvds

You guys really think the set will drop under $90? I think $10/blu is pretty good, now I am sure that Walmart and target and most likely BB will have some kind of special along with the release (t-shirt, action figure, whatever) so maybe I'll hold off and price match Amazon's price on 9/11.

I feel like I got pretty burned this year with Back to the Future and a few other long-awaited (and recently released) bluray sets dropping like rocks on Black Friday...

Of course, then there are things like the Twilight Zone sets that don't really move (or seem to actually get more expensive after they've been out).

I could totally see this around $50-$60 as a lightning deal.... ugh, what to do.

[quote name='perdition(troy']$90 isn't too bad...question on the pre-order though. Are they going to charge my card right off the bat, or when it ships?[/QUOTE]

When it ships.

[quote name='lobito72']You guys really think the set will drop under $90? I think $10/blu is pretty good, now I am sure that Walmart and target and most likely BB will have some kind of special along with the release (t-shirt, action figure, whatever) so maybe I'll hold off and price match Amazon's price on 9/11.[/QUOTE]Maybe during the Christmas holiday, though we wouldn't know that until mid-November at the earliest. $15 per movie is a good price for BD, since most of the prequel movies have been as cheap as $10 each on DVD.

[quote name='perdition(troy']$90 isn't too bad...question on the pre-order though. Are they going to charge my card right off the bat, or when it ships?[/QUOTE]Charged only when it goes into the shipping process, so 1-3 days before release.

[quote name='Justin42']I feel like I got pretty burned this year with Back to the Future and a few other long-awaited (and recently released) bluray sets dropping like rocks on Black Friday...

Of course, then there are things like the Twilight Zone sets that don't really move (or seem to actually get more expensive after they've been out).

I could totally see this around $50-$60 as a lightning deal.... ugh, what to do.[/QUOTE]It's a possibility about it dropping during the holiday season, though it's a guess at this point.

I waited on BTTF because $50 for that set was too expensive, so I picked it up from BN.com for around $30 with a $10 GC for my troubles because they mis-shipped my order. $25 is the right price for the BTTF set.

Is $90 a bad price for it? Not in my mind, though obviously, I'd prefer cheaper. Putting in a pre-order now covers against any price increase before release, which we've seen previously.

[quote name='formerroadie']It would be nice if the theatrical versions (pre-lame CGI) were on the Blu Rays as well.[/QUOTE]Agreed, though we won't see that happening, unfortunately.

[quote name='intent']Is there a benefit to buying them in the complete saga collection rather than individually, given the minor discrepancy in price?[/QUOTE]

Try to read the post next time.

* Star Wars: The Complete Saga on Blu-ray (9-disc Set includes all six films)
* Star Wars: Prequel Blu-ray Trilogy (3-disc set includes Episodes I-III)
* Star Wars: Original Blu-ray Trilogy (3-disc set includes Episodes IV-VI)

[quote name='intent']Is there a benefit to buying them in the complete saga collection rather than individually, given the minor discrepancy in price?[/QUOTE]

The complete saga set includes "three additional discs and more than 30 hours of extensive special features including never-before-seen deleted and alternate scenes, an exploration of the exclusive Star Wars archives, and much more." So it depends on how much you want all of those special features, I guess.

[quote name='javeryh']I think it has been definitely confirmed that it will be the remaster versions from the 90s and not the original theatrical releases. They said it would cost way too much and be too labor intensive to do the transfer properly on the originals or some bullshit reason.[/QUOTE]

I feel like I remember Lucas saying at one point that when they did the cleanup and editing to create the special editions, they actually had to destroy the original negatives in the process. If that's the case, then any release of the original theatrical versions would have to be based on second-generation sources. Assuming that there even still are any available that are of reasonably good quality (which may be questionable in itself -- the reason they had to use the original negatives to create the special edition was that they didn't have any other good sources), it would be a pretty significant task to restore them up to full quality to look good on blu-ray.

[quote name='Walt Jay']Exactly. While they did put the theatrical versions on DVD, they were such shitty quality that it mght as well have stayed on VHS.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I'm pretty sure that my VHS copies were better than those theatrical version DVDs. I was pretty pissed when I saw how bad they were, as they were the reason that I finally broke down and bought the DVD versions. Oh, yeah, and those DVDs were non-anamorphic too, so on a widescreen TV, they're letterboxed on all sides. :bomb:

[quote name='lobito72']You guys really think the set will drop under $90? I think $10/blu is pretty good, now I am sure that Walmart and target and most likely BB will have some kind of special along with the release (t-shirt, action figure, whatever) so maybe I'll hold off and price match Amazon's price on 9/11.[/QUOTE]

Where are you price matching Amazon? I've never found a store that's been willing to match an online price like that. Besides, you're assuming that Amazon's price will stay at $89.99 -- it may go up before the actual release. Personally, I've put in a pre-order to lock that price now. If it looks like there's going to be a better deal closer to the time, I'll cancel it then.

thanks Shrike!! went ahead and pre-ordered for now..

but you all know we're setting ourselves up for a double dip right? 3D theatrical release with more footage added in are coming to theatres, Blu Ray 6 months after that..:D

[quote name='shrike4242']Damn, I didn't know they did the release of the non-SE versions, though non-anamorphic DVDs? Yuck.[/QUOTE]This was the worst. It was George Lucas's equivalent of a pouting baby trying to break his favorite toy when asked to share. I think he just hates the idea that there is a demand for the original versions, since it means people have rejected his supposed "true vision" for the films. Pouting. Baby. :twoguns:

Anyways, oh dear, might have to lock in a pre-order for the original trilogy. Even if we're stuck with the molested versions. And I hope there's a huge disparity in sales between the original and prequel trilogies so that my nerd rage is satisfied. Although I'd buy a copy of the prequel set if it included these as bonus features.

Ugh, so I actually have to buy the complete set, to get the bonus discs. Utter bullshit. The prequels will be going directly in the trash, since I never, ever want to see them ever again.

Actually, I might not even buy this at all. It's going to be the Special Editions, but probably even more fucked-around with. I don't think my mind can withstand being subjected to Jedi Rocks even one more time. Maybe I'll wait for fanedits.

[quote name='javeryh']Damn - the trailer is pretty cool: http://starwars.com/video/view/001175.html[/quote]
No, no it wasn't. It was offensive. The terrific dialogue of the original, laid over clips of that prequel schlock? Ugh.

[quote name='shrike4242']Hell has officially frozen over:
http://starwars.com/themovies/saga/preorder_bluray/index.html[/quote]
Actually, it froze over back in August, when they first announced the Blu-rays at Celebration V.

[quote name='javeryh']They said it would cost way too much and be too labor intensive to do the transfer properly on the originals or some bullshit reason.[/quote]
Which is the most ridiculous bullshit ever. The Star Wars brand/franchise brings in enough revenue in a single week, to mount the most expensive and extensive film restoration in history.

[quote name='DetroitSportsFan']The theatrical versions of the original trilogy were released on DVD, but non-anamorphically....[/QUOTE]
A bit of trivia on the reason the theatrical DVDs were non-anamorphic: Lucas is so lazy, such a cheapass, and so utterly contemptuous of the original theatrical trilogy and the people who love it, that for the theatrical edition DVDs, they literally just made rips of the old Laserdisc releases (which of course, weren't anamorphic), did some really awful color "correction" (basically, they just thoughtlessly cranked up the saturation throughout the movies), and slapped that on a DVD.

[quote name='token2k6']but you all know we're setting ourselves up for a double dip right? 3D theatrical release with more footage added in are coming to theatres, Blu Ray 6 months after that..:D[/QUOTE]

Seeing that the first of the six 3D movies isn't coming out until sometime in 2012 at the earliest, I think we'll be waiting a bit for our next double dip.

Of course, I could always just wait and hold off until the Ultimate Ultimate edition that comes out on a holographic cybernetic optical implant chip. That's the only way to truly watch the saga ya know. :lol:

[quote name='Arkanos']Seeing that the first of the six 3D movies isn't coming out until sometime in 2012 at the earliest, I think we'll be waiting a bit for our next double dip.[/QUOTE]

Wait, he was serious about the 3D? I thought he was joking.

[Google search]

Oh shit, he was serious.

I think I can pretty safely say right now that I don't want this and will be perfectly happy with my 2D discs, and won't feel the need to double-dip.

[quote name='Tronny']Does anyone know if these are the special editions (original trilogy)? I'll preorder now if these include the original cuts.[/QUOTE]

As others have mentioned, it's not going to happen until Ole George kicks the bucket and even then probably not, so don't expect them for a great long while, if ever.

He's not Ridley Scott after all who gives his fans every version of his film imaginable (Blade Runner). In the best quality it can be had in.

[quote name='formerroadie']It would be nice if the theatrical versions (pre-lame CGI) were on the Blu Rays as well.[/QUOTE]

If you can master the force and "Persude" Lucas with a Jedi mind trick then they'll be yours. :lol:

Again what's the chances of that, yeah snowball's chance in hell.

[quote name='token2k6']
but you all know we're setting ourselves up for a double dip right? 3D theatrical release with more footage added in are coming to theatres, Blu Ray 6 months after that..:D[/QUOTE]

Aww...another buggered up version no one asked for or wanted....excellent.

I might get it for the 3 extra discs on the complete version, but only if the Biggs Darklighter scenes are included, I've been looking at the scenes in my Star Wars Storybook since I was a wee lad, and always wondered why they never were included.

Also I'd like to see the making of New Hope documentary, that I've seen only once in the 80's again, but that's wishful thinking, methinks.

If the extras are nothing but cash grab, I'll not spend a dime and just enjoy my original trilogy, non-SE editions as I've been doing for years now.

[quote name='uncle5555']I might get it for the 3 extra discs on the complete version, but only if the Biggs Darklighter scenes are included, I've been looking at the scenes in my Star Wars Storybook since I was a wee lad, and always wondered why they never were included.

Also I'd like to see the making of New Hope documentary, that I've seen only once in the 80's again, but that's wishful thinking, methinks.

If the extras are nothing but cash grab, I'll not spend a dime and just enjoy my original trilogy, non-SE editions as I've been doing for years now.[/QUOTE]

Personally, I'm hoping for the Star Wars Holiday Special. ;) But that would take George Lucas finding a sense of humor about himself, and he lost that a long time ago.

[quote name='arcane93']I feel like I remember Lucas saying at one point that when they did the cleanup and editing to create the special editions, they actually had to destroy the original negatives in the process. If that's the case, then any release of the original theatrical versions would have to be based on second-generation sources. Assuming that there even still are any available that are of reasonably good quality (which may be questionable in itself -- the reason they had to use the original negatives to create the special edition was that they didn't have any other good sources), it would be a pretty significant task to restore them up to full quality to look good on blu-ray.[/QUOTE]

Uh, no, that's a goddamn lie and a rumor that has been going on for far too long (though I'm sure Lucas would like people to believe it, so he could use it as an excuse). Yes, the original negatives were cut up and re-ordered and had the Special Edition footage spliced in, but they were not "destroyed." They could easily re-edit them back to the original theatrical order. They wouldn't even have to re-order it physically; they could just do the scan, and edit it all digitally from there. They also made flawless separation master duplicates of the original theatrical negatives that are identical in quality to the negatives. There are more than enough first-generation (and equivalent) sources of the original films, to draw from.

They absolutely have the required original film and masters intact, to make new, perfect, 100% faithful-to-the-original digital masters for Bluray releases (and whatever comes after that, all the way up to 8k probably). The only thing keeping it from happening is Lucas' ego and insanity and contempt for his creations.

Here's some more info on this subject, for those interested:
http://savestarwars.com/faq.html#5
http://savestarwars.com/filmpreservation.html
http://arstechnica.com/media/news/2010/05/star-wars.ars/
http://secrethistoryofstarwars.com/savingstarwars.html

God damn you, Lucas. Give me the originals, and leave the matte lines in, you fat fuck.

Pre-ordered the original trilogy, thanks Shrike! This will actually be the first time I've owned them in any format (I had just watched my family's copies in the past), so the inevitable newer editions later down the road won't sting so much.

I considered pre-ordering, but I am sick of supporting Lucas. I want the special features, but I refuse to pay for those crappy prequels.

For the special features I'll just see if a friend of mine gets a copy. If not, perhaps my "friend" with a YouTube account will get it.

So no O-OT cuts AND I have to buy the prequels to get the 3 discs of never before seen bonus features? fuck you Lucas I'll just rent the special feature discs from netflix.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only one thing that dwarfs the XBox vs. PS3 fanboyism, and that's Star Wars and Star Trek fanboys. I don't like the prequals as much either, and I think Lucas screwed up Jedi, but some folks here.... holy crap!

I'm a huge Star Wars fan myself, and I don't see why everyone has to bitch about not having the exact original copies. I actually like the special edition versions better.

As long as I can buy the original trilogy in whatever iteration separate from the dogshit prequel trilogy I'll be happy.

Ugh, I hope those extra 3 discs on the full movie set are just digital copies so I don't have to own the prequel movies in anyway.

I really don't feel the need to upgrade my DVDs. Maybe if I could get the complete thing for 30 bucks.... certainly not 90.

bread's done
Back