All six Star Wars coming out on BD - 09/27/11 (Amazon & BN.com pre-order links).

shrike4242

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1043 (100%)
Hell has officially frozen over:

http://starwars.com/themovies/saga/preorder_bluray/index.html

Link-lazy:
[quote name='From Starwars.com website']
Pre-order Star Wars: The Complete Saga on Blu-ray Now!

January 6, 2011

The most anticipated Blu-ray release ever -- the Star Wars Saga -- emerges from light speed this September 2011. For the first time, all six of George Lucas' epic films (Episodes I-VI) are united in one complete set. Fans worldwide are able to pre-order now with online retailers.

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment will release Star Wars in three distinct sets to meet the needs of every Star Wars fan:

* Star Wars: The Complete Saga on Blu-ray (9-disc Set includes all six films)
* Star Wars: Prequel Blu-ray Trilogy (3-disc set includes Episodes I-III)
* Star Wars: Original Blu-ray Trilogy (3-disc set includes Episodes IV-VI)

Star Wars: The Complete Saga on Blu-ray will feature all six live-action Star Wars feature films utilizing the highest possible picture and audio presentation, along with three additional discs and more than 30 hours of extensive special features including never-before-seen deleted and alternate scenes, an exploration of the exclusive Star Wars archives, and much more.

Star Wars: The Complete Saga on Blu-ray will be available for $139.99 US/$179.99 CAN and the Star Wars: Trilogy Sets for $69.99 US/89.99 CAN. Pricing for each set will vary by international territory.

Flanked by a legion of his finest Imperial stormtroopers, Darth Vader himself joined Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment President Mike Dunn at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) to announce the release, vowing "The forces of the Empire will be at your disposal to assure the success of this endeavor."

"The Star Wars Saga is the most anticipated Blu-ray collection since the launch of the high-def format," Dunn said. "The epic franchise pioneered sound and visual presentation in theaters and is perfectly suited to do it again in the home, with a viewing experience only possible with Blu-ray."

"With all six episodes available for the first time in one collection, this is a great way for families and home audiences to experience the complete Saga from start to finish," said Doug Yates, Vice President of Marketing, Online, Distribution, Lucasfilm Ltd. "And with the quality of high-definition, Blu-ray provides the most immersive home experience possible."

"The Star Wars franchise has been the most anticipated Blu-ray release by Amazon's customers," said Bill Carr, Vice President of Music and Video at Amazon.com. "We think that Star Wars will be incredibly popular with our customers, and we expect pre-orders to be very strong."
[/quote]
Amazon links:
Prequel Trilogy (@ $44.99, $69.99 MSRP): http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Prequel-Trilogy-Episodes/dp/B000PMG16U/
Original Trilogy (@ $44.99, $69.99 MSRP): http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Original-Trilogy-Episodes/dp/B000PMLFRA/
Complete Saga (@ $89.99, $139.99 MSRP): http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Complete-Episodes-Blu-ray/dp/B003ZSJ212/

BN.com has the set cheaper, as long as you pay with a VISA card:
[quote name='phantomfriar2002']BN.com has the set for $71 plus tax thanks to a 20% off one-item code for Visa cardholders (R7V9J9N).

If you get cashback from various sites, you can save another $3, so the total was $73 for me shipped after tax. That's a nice savings over the Amazon deal.

I highly doubt you'll be seeing this set lower even on Black Friday. :)
[/QUOTE]

Coupon listed above expires on 02/07/11. Problem is, it may not work:

[quote name='arcane93']Just looked at the "eligibility requirements" for the coupon:

This coupon is (i) not redeemable for cash or cash equivalents (including Gift Cards and online Gift Certificates); (ii) not valid on past purchases; (iii) not eligible for purchases of the following products and services: Barnes & Noble Memberships, Gift Cards, Gift Certificates, gift-wrapping, textbooks, video games, digital content (including but not limited to digital books, magazines, and periodicals), NOOK(TM) and related accessories, other hardware and electronics, software, products available for pre-order, products from the Rosetta Stone Series, products available for in-store ship-to-home orders, shipping or handling expenses, or products marked as not eligible for "coupons or promotional discounts;" (iv) not valid on purchases made from third parties accessible from the BN.COM website (e.g., used books, PC and video games, etc.); (v) may not be combined with any other coupon; and (vi) may not be combined with the Educator program discount. This coupon is not valid at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores. Void where prohibited by law.
So that would probably be why the pre-orders are being cancelled. Pretty lame of them to just do it without an explanation, though.[/QUOTE]

01/13/11 EDIT: BN.com has been canceling orders left and right without any explanation to why if ordered with the coupon code.

BN.com order links:
Complete Series @ $89.59: http://video.barnesandnoble.com/DVD/Star-Wars-The-Complete-Saga/Mark-Hamill/e/24543742180/
Original Saga @ $44.79: http://video.barnesandnoble.com/DVD/Star-Wars-Original-Trilogy/Mark-Hamill/e/24543742074/
Prequel Trilogy @ $44.79: http://video.barnesandnoble.com/DVD/Star-Wars-Prequel-Trilogy/Ewan-McGregor/e/24543742098/

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh wow, didn't realize that the BN price on the smaller trilogy sets was so good too (since most of the talk here revolved around using the coupon for the 6-movie set). 20% off the Original Trilogy ends up being like $10 cheaper than Amazon, so I placed an order. May as well ride this order out on both sites to see if Amazon goes any lower. Theoretically we could still cancel our BN orders in like August if we wanted to, right?

[quote name='BustaUppa']Oh wow, didn't realize that the BN price on the smaller trilogy sets was so good too (since most of the talk here revolved around using the coupon for the 6-movie set). 20% off the Original Trilogy ends up being like $10 cheaper than Amazon, so I placed an order. May as well ride this order out on both sites to see if Amazon goes any lower. Theoretically we could still cancel our BN orders in like August if we wanted to, right?[/QUOTE]I think as long as you cancel it a week or so before it should ship out, yes, you shouldn't have any issue with canceling the B&N order if Amazon works out to be a better deal.

does BN charge before it ships? Nevermind

I think as long as you cancel it a week or so before it should ship out, yes, you shouldn't have any issue with canceling the B&N order if Amazon works out to be a better deal.

[quote name='shrike4242']If you're not able to see the difference between DVDs and Blu-rays, then I think you need:

* A new TV
* Better glasses
* Hooking your BluRay player to your TV with something other than composite cables

There's very few BluRays I own that don't look much better than their upscaled DVD counterparts.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, geez, even my parents can notice a big difference, and they're about as far from videophiles as it is possible to get. I got them a blu-ray player for Christmas and expected them to claim it wasn't any different than their DVD player, but was pleasantly surprised when they called me up last week to tell me how much they were enjoying it. If someone's really not able to see the difference, even on a low-end HDTV, they should probably get their eyes checked.

Haha, though I was amused that the blu-ray player came with composite cables, rather than an HDMI cable (I mean, really, Samsung?). I didn't think that blu-ray players were even capable of outputting composite signals, what with HDCP and everything. It would certainly defeat the point regardless.

Yeah, I'm no videophile AT ALL. But the difference between Blu Ray and DVD is very noticeable.

I don't care enough to upgrade very many of the 300+ DVDs I own--mainly just a few favorites that are heavy on special effects etc.--but the difference is very noticeable.

At the end of the day, I just love movies and I'm a movie guy and not an A/V enthusiast. But that doesn't mean the difference isn't there.

[quote name='bigsick']Did bn charge anyone? They at least put a hold for 76.xx on my account[/QUOTE]They'll put an authorization against your card to verify funds are there for the purchase. It may be a rolling authorization where they keep re-authorizing the $76.xx against your card until the item ships out, or it may drop off within 3-5 days.

Wait until next week and if the authorization is still there, it'll keep re-authorizing until the item ships in September.

[quote name='shrike4242']f you're not able to see the difference between DVDs and Blu-rays, then I think you need:

* A new TV
* Better glasses
* Hooking your BluRay player to your TV with something other than composite cables[/QUOTE]

Yeah - I think my wife just likes giving me shit. :lol: There's clearly a difference but I think her point was that we already own them on VHS and DVD and she doesn't want to "waste" the money to buy them again.

[quote name='arcane93']I didn't think that blu-ray players were even capable of outputting composite signals, what with HDCP and everything. It would certainly defeat the point regardless.[/QUOTE]

I bought my sister and brother-in-law a blu-ray player for Christmas last year. I went over their place recently and they were having trouble with their Wii and asked me to take a look - when I got behind the TV I noticed they had the blu-ray player hooked up via composite cables. I almost passed out. I was like - didn't you notice a difference between HDTV and your blu-ray player? They just thought the blu-ray player wasn't that much better than DVD. I guess lots of people just don't care. It makes me mental though. :bomb:

Like others, I ended up making a second order w/B&N. $74.90 total. Thanks for the code! Will wait to see what Amazon does, but there's a lot of time...hope I remember. >_

[quote name='javeryh']They just thought the blu-ray player wasn't that much better than DVD. I guess lots of people just don't care.[/QUOTE]

That's why it surprises me so much that blu-ray players would include composite cables, or even offer the option of a composite connection -- they're trying to sell the players as next-generation high-definition, and then totally defeating that purpose with the cables they include. I don't think it's so much a matter of people not caring (if they didn't care, why would they even bother to buy a blu-ray player in the first place?) as it is just pure ignorance -- the composite cable is the one that's in the box, so it should be the one they need, right? I mean, really, expecting the average non-technical person who just wants to watch some movies to know any better is unrealistic. Given how cheap generic HDMI cables are, there's really no excuse for not including one of them instead.

[quote name='javeryh']Awesome deal on BN.com with the Visa coupon by the way - works out to $12.78 per movie shipped for the 6 movie set...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm irritated now . . . I used to have a Visa card, but the bank that it was with converted it to a Mastercard a few years ago for no apparent reason. So unless I want to open yet another credit card (I don't), I can't use the coupon. :cry:

[quote name='javeryh']Yeah - I think my wife just likes giving me shit. :lol: There's clearly a difference but I think her point was that we already own them on VHS and DVD and she doesn't want to "waste" the money to buy them again.[/QUOTE]That's why I'm very wary about rebuying movies I have on DVD and HD-DVD on BD, since it is double-dipping.

[quote name='arcane93']Yeah, I'm irritated now . . . I used to have a Visa card, but the bank that it was with converted it to a Mastercard a few years ago for no apparent reason. So unless I want to open yet another credit card (I don't), I can't use the coupon. :cry:[/QUOTE]BN does switch it up from time to time with Visa or MC for those discount coupons, so if you wait it out, I don't think you should have an issue ordering a set with the MC-version of the coupon.

Plenty of time between now and September.

[quote name='shrike4242']That's why I'm very wary about rebuying movies I have on DVD and HD-DVD on BD, since it is double-dipping. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've done a pretty bad amount of double-dipping from DVD to blu-ray. The only excuses that I have are that 1) didn't buy a ton of DVDs -- I've probably bought as many blu-rays in the past two years as I bought DVDs in the ten previous, partly due to having been a grad student for most of that earlier time, and partly due to just not having felt like the quality was quite good enough to bother owning prior to blu-ray -- so many of the titles that I do own on DVD are big favorites, and 2) that I've done most of my double-dipping when I've found really good deals on the blu-rays. I console myself that blu-ray is good enough that I probably won't feel the need to triple-dip much when HVD or whatever takes over, though we'll see what actually happens when the time comes. ;)

[quote name='shrike4242']BN does switch it up from time to time with Visa or MC for those discount coupons, so if you wait it out, I don't think you should have an issue ordering a set with the MC-version of the coupon.

Plenty of time between now and September.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, assuming that the pre-order price doesn't get bumped up to the $139.99 list price sometime between now and then . . . :whistle2:|

[quote name='zenintrude']You'd think people would learn about ordering from B&N, but they're like lemmings every single time.[/QUOTE]

My only purchase from them was the Austin Powers set for 8 bucks,and it went well.

[quote name='koebner']My only purchase from them was the Austin Powers set for 8 bucks,and it went well.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've ordered many, many things from B&N, and I've never had a problem. Not sure what he's talking about.

Just got an email from Barnes and Noble saying my order has been canceled with no explanation as to why. They just apologize and say that my order has been canceled. wtf?

[quote name='fullcourt']Just got an email from Barnes and Noble saying my order has been canceled with no explanation as to why. They just apologize and say that my order has been canceled. wtf?[/QUOTE]Mine's still showing as a live order. I'd love to hear the explanation to why the order would be canceled if they cancel it.

[quote name='darthmalice777']They cancelled mine as well, hmm....wonder if we'll get an explanation.[/QUOTE]

Their explanation is going to be something like the coupon is only valid for purchases made through February 7, 2011 and since SW doesn't come out until September...

EDIT: I haven't been canceled yet.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']How can you NOT be pist off when Lucas changed this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5XG1nSlxuI

If you don't like that ending and enjoy Hayden Christensen being in force spirit, your a damn terrorist![/QUOTE]

Well I guess I am a Terrorist Star Wars Fan. Watch out America, I am going to use the Millennium Falcon to destroy buildings.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']How can you NOT be pist off when Lucas changed this?

If you don't like that ending and enjoy Hayden Christensen being in force spirit, your a damn terrorist![/QUOTE]

I for one could do without the washed out colors and hazy picture. I'd take Hayden Christensen and new Ewok songs any day to get a picture better than that.

Mine's still live but I only placed my order yesterday. If I ordered late maybe I'll get canceled late. btw are most of these cancellations for the full set or the smaller sets?

Just looked at the "eligibility requirements" for the coupon:

This coupon is (i) not redeemable for cash or cash equivalents (including Gift Cards and online Gift Certificates); (ii) not valid on past purchases; (iii) not eligible for purchases of the following products and services: Barnes & Noble Memberships, Gift Cards, Gift Certificates, gift-wrapping, textbooks, video games, digital content (including but not limited to digital books, magazines, and periodicals), NOOK(TM) and related accessories, other hardware and electronics, software, products available for pre-order, products from the Rosetta Stone Series, products available for in-store ship-to-home orders, shipping or handling expenses, or products marked as not eligible for "coupons or promotional discounts;" (iv) not valid on purchases made from third parties accessible from the BN.COM website (e.g., used books, PC and video games, etc.); (v) may not be combined with any other coupon; and (vi) may not be combined with the Educator program discount. This coupon is not valid at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores. Void where prohibited by law.

So that would probably be why the pre-orders are being cancelled. Pretty lame of them to just do it without an explanation, though.

Yep, can't argue it if it's in the fine print. You'd think their ordering system would be sophisticated enough to not allow the coupon to be applied to pre-orders though.

Oh, well. Nice try. I had ordered a book too, then decided to just cancel right after. It said "please wait for up to 60 minutes for the item to be removed from your order." 3 days and 3 attempts later the book is still there, ready to be shipped now, and my Blu-Rays are cancelled. Nice B&N...I wanted the book gone, especially since I was now paying shipping, so I sat on hold for 30 minutes to finally get someone on the phone. I asked why the Blu-Ray was cancelled and couldn't get an answer. Guess that fine print is the answer. Atleast they supposedly cancelled the book now

If anyone has an order that stays let us know. Its possible some could get through? If they are going to have their website allowing it

Though I do have to say this has me thinking. While I do want this set pretty soon after release, I don't necessarily need it on day one. If this appears to be staying at $89.99 right up until release time, I may cancel my pre-order and wait for a coupon to come out after it's released to order. B&N's coupons are frequent enough that I don't think it would be too long a wait, and 15% or 20% is pretty significant when it comes to an item this expensive.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yep, can't argue it if it's in the fine print. You'd think their ordering system would be sophisticated enough to not allow the coupon to be applied to pre-orders though.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, totally.

[quote name='arcane93']Though I do have to say this has me thinking. While I do want this set pretty soon after release, I don't necessarily need it on day one. If this appears to be staying at $89.99 right up until release time, I may cancel my pre-order and wait for a coupon to come out after it's released to order. B&N's coupons are frequent enough that I don't think it would be too long a wait, and 15% or 20% is pretty significant when it comes to an item this expensive.[/QUOTE]

Keep in mind that B&N and Borders tend to have shitty prices barely below MSRP most of the time, and just occasionally have preorder prices that match places like Amazon.

But yeah, you'll be able to find this below $90 easily if you don't mind waiting for deals a few months after launch like any other BR release.

The trend is some cheaper launch/pre-order deals, then prices up for a couple of months, and then numerous deals much cheaper than the pre-order prices after 3-6 months of release.

Most things generally only get cheaper if you wait a while to buy.

[quote name='shrike4242']
I'd guess they'll probably be the special editions, since those were the only ones put to DVD. If you want original cuts, break out the VHS or LaserDisc.[/QUOTE]

Pre-Order CANCELED!!!

[quote name='dmaul1114']Keep in mind that B&N and Borders tend to have shitty prices barely below MSRP most of the time, and just occasionally have preorder prices that match places like Amazon.[/QUOTE]

You're thinking of in-store prices. On the website, B&N is frequently competitive with Amazon, sometimes even better. When they have a coupon like this, they're definitely better.

Ah. I wasn't aware it was that different. I tend to buy most everything online through amazon unless there's a major price difference to get the triple points on my Amazon rewards card and to take advantage of my Amazon Prime account.

I haven't watched the original trilogy since the special edition was released in the theater. At the time, it seemed like all the CGI edits were just what they were.. CGI edits into a 30 year old movie.. They looked completely out of place and took me out of the movie. Stepping away from these movies for ten years, will it still seem that way? Is that a nitpick from someone perfectly happy with the way the movies were? Or will someone who has never seen these movies (my wife) find them the same way - a bizarre hack-job on something better left untouched?

bread's done
Back