All six Star Wars coming out on BD - 09/27/11 (Amazon & BN.com pre-order links).

shrike4242

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1043 (100%)
Hell has officially frozen over:

http://starwars.com/themovies/saga/preorder_bluray/index.html

Link-lazy:
[quote name='From Starwars.com website']
Pre-order Star Wars: The Complete Saga on Blu-ray Now!

January 6, 2011

The most anticipated Blu-ray release ever -- the Star Wars Saga -- emerges from light speed this September 2011. For the first time, all six of George Lucas' epic films (Episodes I-VI) are united in one complete set. Fans worldwide are able to pre-order now with online retailers.

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment will release Star Wars in three distinct sets to meet the needs of every Star Wars fan:

* Star Wars: The Complete Saga on Blu-ray (9-disc Set includes all six films)
* Star Wars: Prequel Blu-ray Trilogy (3-disc set includes Episodes I-III)
* Star Wars: Original Blu-ray Trilogy (3-disc set includes Episodes IV-VI)

Star Wars: The Complete Saga on Blu-ray will feature all six live-action Star Wars feature films utilizing the highest possible picture and audio presentation, along with three additional discs and more than 30 hours of extensive special features including never-before-seen deleted and alternate scenes, an exploration of the exclusive Star Wars archives, and much more.

Star Wars: The Complete Saga on Blu-ray will be available for $139.99 US/$179.99 CAN and the Star Wars: Trilogy Sets for $69.99 US/89.99 CAN. Pricing for each set will vary by international territory.

Flanked by a legion of his finest Imperial stormtroopers, Darth Vader himself joined Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment President Mike Dunn at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) to announce the release, vowing "The forces of the Empire will be at your disposal to assure the success of this endeavor."

"The Star Wars Saga is the most anticipated Blu-ray collection since the launch of the high-def format," Dunn said. "The epic franchise pioneered sound and visual presentation in theaters and is perfectly suited to do it again in the home, with a viewing experience only possible with Blu-ray."

"With all six episodes available for the first time in one collection, this is a great way for families and home audiences to experience the complete Saga from start to finish," said Doug Yates, Vice President of Marketing, Online, Distribution, Lucasfilm Ltd. "And with the quality of high-definition, Blu-ray provides the most immersive home experience possible."

"The Star Wars franchise has been the most anticipated Blu-ray release by Amazon's customers," said Bill Carr, Vice President of Music and Video at Amazon.com. "We think that Star Wars will be incredibly popular with our customers, and we expect pre-orders to be very strong."
[/quote]
Amazon links:
Prequel Trilogy (@ $44.99, $69.99 MSRP): http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Prequel-Trilogy-Episodes/dp/B000PMG16U/
Original Trilogy (@ $44.99, $69.99 MSRP): http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Original-Trilogy-Episodes/dp/B000PMLFRA/
Complete Saga (@ $89.99, $139.99 MSRP): http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Complete-Episodes-Blu-ray/dp/B003ZSJ212/

BN.com has the set cheaper, as long as you pay with a VISA card:
[quote name='phantomfriar2002']BN.com has the set for $71 plus tax thanks to a 20% off one-item code for Visa cardholders (R7V9J9N).

If you get cashback from various sites, you can save another $3, so the total was $73 for me shipped after tax. That's a nice savings over the Amazon deal.

I highly doubt you'll be seeing this set lower even on Black Friday. :)
[/QUOTE]

Coupon listed above expires on 02/07/11. Problem is, it may not work:

[quote name='arcane93']Just looked at the "eligibility requirements" for the coupon:

This coupon is (i) not redeemable for cash or cash equivalents (including Gift Cards and online Gift Certificates); (ii) not valid on past purchases; (iii) not eligible for purchases of the following products and services: Barnes & Noble Memberships, Gift Cards, Gift Certificates, gift-wrapping, textbooks, video games, digital content (including but not limited to digital books, magazines, and periodicals), NOOK(TM) and related accessories, other hardware and electronics, software, products available for pre-order, products from the Rosetta Stone Series, products available for in-store ship-to-home orders, shipping or handling expenses, or products marked as not eligible for "coupons or promotional discounts;" (iv) not valid on purchases made from third parties accessible from the BN.COM website (e.g., used books, PC and video games, etc.); (v) may not be combined with any other coupon; and (vi) may not be combined with the Educator program discount. This coupon is not valid at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores. Void where prohibited by law.
So that would probably be why the pre-orders are being cancelled. Pretty lame of them to just do it without an explanation, though.[/QUOTE]

01/13/11 EDIT: BN.com has been canceling orders left and right without any explanation to why if ordered with the coupon code.

BN.com order links:
Complete Series @ $89.59: http://video.barnesandnoble.com/DVD/Star-Wars-The-Complete-Saga/Mark-Hamill/e/24543742180/
Original Saga @ $44.79: http://video.barnesandnoble.com/DVD/Star-Wars-Original-Trilogy/Mark-Hamill/e/24543742074/
Prequel Trilogy @ $44.79: http://video.barnesandnoble.com/DVD/Star-Wars-Prequel-Trilogy/Ewan-McGregor/e/24543742098/

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='skiizim']I just received an email from Amazon stating my order has been upgraded to RDD free of charge and to expect it on 9/27/11.[/QUOTE]

Same. Should happen for anyone with a Prime account.

You can end up getting this for $85 from Amazon if you cancel your pre-order, then just wait a day and it'll appear in your Gold Box. It happened to me and I know I've read a lot of others online say the same.

Well, the set was in my Gold Box, so I bit. Not sure if I'll keep the order or not. I'm a big Star Wars fan, but I'm kinda ticked off that Lucas is releasing the original trilogy in the special edition format. Empire is fine, but A New Hope and Return of the Jedi both suffer in their special editions. I can't stand that Han has the discussion with Greedo in the cantina, then essentially repeats the same dialogue with CGI Jabba. And the Max Rebo band is just terrible.

Oh well, I'll probably buy it like a sucker, then rebuy the non special editions when Lucas eventually releases them in a few years. That man knows how to take my money.

I`ll wait till 3D conversion comes out .Lucas is milking dollar away from fans pocket for last 40+ years without introducing anything new to us .Titanic 2D also coming out in fall

[quote name='phantomfriar2002']You can end up getting this for $85 from Amazon if you cancel your pre-order, then just wait a day and it'll appear in your Gold Box. It happened to me and I know I've read a lot of others online say the same.[/QUOTE]Worth a try, since we're not out anything at this moment. We'll see if it pays off in a few days.

[quote name='shrike4242']Worth a try, since we're not out anything at this moment. We'll see if it pays off in a few days.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it worked within 24 hours for me. And I'm not someone who's ever been able to "rig" their Gold Box quick picks so that certain items magically appear there, either (I've read all the FAQ's, spent time and gave up on it a long time ago).

All I did in this instance was cancel the pre-order and it showed up the next time the instant recommendations refreshed a day or so later. I've read a bunch of people on other forums say as much, but YMMV as always.

[quote name='phantomfriar2002']Yeah, it worked within 24 hours for me. And I'm not someone who's ever been able to "rig" their Gold Box quick picks so that certain items magically appear there, either (I've read all the FAQ's, spent time and gave up on it a long time ago).

All I did in this instance was cancel the pre-order and it showed up the next time the instant recommendations refreshed a day or so later. I've read a bunch of people on other forums say as much, but YMMV as always.[/QUOTE]No such luck for me, though I did clear out a bunch of items that were causing the same items to come back over and over again, so I hope I'll see it in the next few days.

[quote name='shrike4242']No such luck for me, though I did clear out a bunch of items that were causing the same items to come back over and over again, so I hope I'll see it in the next few days.[/QUOTE]

No go for me either, maybe I need to go look at the star wars page though. Most of my gold box stuff seems to be junk I am looking at a lot. Also, I cancelled almost immediately after placing it.

The Gold Box trick has just worked for me. This is the first time I ever looked at the Gold Box website (had to Google it to see what it was), so I have a quick question:

Are Gold Box pre-release orders still subject to the usual Amazon price guarantee? That is to say if the price now drops to $82 before the release will this price also be adjusted, or does that only apply to non-Gold Box orders?

It was in my gold box so I'll pick it up for now. I can always cancel later. This is the first time I've used the gold box savings. I should check it more often.

There are a few ways to get the gold box to give you want you want. If you log in to amazon you should see on the top we have recommendations for you. Click on that, then click see all recommendations and you can remove what you don't want. Amazon pulls from heavily from that list to give you your picks. I pre-ordered the full set the day it was up, but after seeing people saying it showed in their gold box I cancelled my order and fixed up my recommendations and two days later it was there. Saved me another $4.50.

Took 2 days after cancellation but Star Wars showed up in my Quick Picks for $85.49. Woot! Thanks everyone for the tips. (after I cancelled it did show SW in my recommendations but I tweaked things a bit to remove anything too out of line just to be safe)

[quote name='dmaul1114']I hate 3D, so moot for me.[/QUOTE]

I don't know man. I disagree. ;) I'd kind of enjoy waiting a few more years, spending a few extra thousand dollars, and continuously getting headache's. I think it sounds like fun. :D

[quote name='pythoncancer']Lucas is milking dollar away from fans pocket for last 40+ years without introducing anything new to us.[/QUOTE]

Uh, no, actually, this is exactly the opposite of the truth. The problem is that he incessantly keeps on giving us all this new crap that we don't want, and denying us the old stuff that we do want.

Also, I'd like to know what math you're using, in which "40+ years" have passed since 1977.

Last edited by a moderator:
I assume they are just going to reveal all the content in the collection, like packaging, behind the scenes, disc art, etc etc. At least that's what I hope.

The problem boils down to the consumers eating what Lucas is putting out there. He will continue to shovel material that does not matter down our throat. Do you really think he will release an "ultimate" edition of anything...even on his death bed? I am looking forward to knowing what this big reveal is but that doesn't mean I am going to buy it. I think I will be happy with my 2 disc dvd's that I purchased long ago. To each their own.

I loved the bonus features on the 2 disc of episode 3 so I'll be biting on the big set to get the 30 hours of stuff can't wait to see what all is on it.

link works for me takes you to the site and lets you choose a country. and yeah it makes you jump through social networking loops so you can see all of the content.

I have no problem going on a different site and reading the "spoilers" of what's included on the set, rather than putting all my facebook friends through spam ads just so I can see what's included. That's a rather ridiculous method of leaking your specs, IMO.

It seems that everyone (including CAG, since most recent CAG contests have included a Twitter component) wants you to spam your friends these days. I ended up making a separate Twitter account for such things because I don't feel right about subjecting my friends to that. I tweeted the Star Wars info through that account.

Weird that Lucas (or, well, his marketing firm) would think that Star Wars would even need that kind of publicity, though. Not sure what they think they're gaining from it.

Every Star Wars project funds the next one. It's actually a pretty smart system. And if you wait for the 3D re-releases, you'll be waiting 12 years...

I used to care enough about star wars that I would have read this entire thread and contributed, but I just can't give that much of a shit anymore. I read enough to know that I'm not going to be able to watch Jedi without sitting through that BS jedi rocks song, and I just can't care anymore.

It is sad when something you used to love means nothing to you anymore.

[quote name='hufferstl']I used to care enough about star wars that I would have read this entire thread and contributed, but I just can't give that much of a shit anymore. I read enough to know that I'm not going to be able to watch Jedi without sitting through that BS jedi rocks song, and I just can't care anymore.

It is sad when something you used to love means nothing to you anymore.[/QUOTE]

QFT :applause:

[quote name='seether254']um why wont this be good?[/QUOTE]

cause everytime Lucas has a big reveal... he screws with something...

[quote name='Blumpkin']Just cancelled my Amazon pre-order. I couldn't bear the thought of buying the "CG Enhanced" version again.[/QUOTE]

So is it confirmed that the original films will not be included? I can't understand why he does this crap.

Legend is getting released on Bluray and it will include both the theatrical version and the director's favorite version. Why the hell can't they do this for Star Wars?

[quote name='arcane93']Wow. The cover art for the complete saga box is seriously lame.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the box art for the original trilogy BD set puts that shit to shame. They need to rethink that nonsense. Or put the two individual sets in the big box plus a third, likely shittier one for the extra discs. Or something.

It's like Lucasfilm wants me to spend less money on Star Wars than I want to.

Here's the information they give u without having to spam facebook and everything else.
~~~~~~~~~~
Bring home the adventure and share Star Wars(tm) with your whole family - when STAR WARS: THE COMPLETE SAGA comes to Blu-ray Disc from Lucasfilm Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment! To be released beginning on September 12 internationally and on September 16 in North America, the nine-disc collection brings the wonder of the entire Saga direct to your living room, where you can revisit all of your favorite Star Wars moments - in gorgeous high definition and with pristine, 6.1 DTS Surround Sound. Dive deeper into the universe with an unprecedented 40+ hours of special features, highlighted by never-before-seen content sourced from the Lucasfilm archives.

Special Features:

STAR WARS: THE COMPLETE SAGA ON BLU-RAY is presented in widescreen with 6.1 DTS Surround Sound. Special features include:

DISC ONE - STAR WARS: EPISODE I THE PHANTOM MENACE
Audio Commentary with George Lucas, Rick McCallum, Ben Burtt, Rob Coleman, John Knoll, Dennis Muren and Scott Squires
Audio Commentary from Archival Interviews with Cast and Crew

DISC TWO - STAR WARS: EPISODE II ATTACK OF THE CLONES
Audio Commentary with George Lucas, Rick McCallum, Ben Burtt, Rob Coleman, Pablo Helman, John Knoll and Ben Snow

DISC THREE - STAR WARS: EPISODE III REVENGE OF THE SITH
Audio Commentary with George Lucas, Rick McCallum, Rob Coleman, John Knoll and Roger Guyett

DISC FOUR - STAR WARS: EPISODE IV A NEW HOPE
Audio Commentary with George Lucas, Carrie Fisher, Ben Burtt and Dennis Muren

DISC FIVE - STAR WARS: EPISODE V THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
Audio Commentary with George Lucas, Irvin Kershner, Carrie Fisher, Ben Burtt and Dennis Muren

DISC SIX - STAR WARS: EPISODE VI RETURN OF THE JEDI
Audio Commentary with George Lucas, Carrie Fisher, Ben Burtt and Dennis Muren

DISC SEVEN - NEW! STAR WARS ARCHIVES: EPISODES I-III
Including: deleted, extended and alternate scenes; prop, maquette and costume turnarounds; matte paintings and concept art; supplementary interviews with cast and crew; a flythrough of the Lucasfilm Archives and more

DISC EIGHT - NEW! STAR WARS ARCHIVES: EPISODES IV-VI
Including: deleted, extended and alternate scenes; prop, maquette and costume turnarounds; matte paintings and concept art; supplementary interviews with cast and crew; and more

DISC NINE - THE STAR WARS DOCUMENTARIES

NEW! Star Warriors (2007, Color, Apx. 84 Minutes) - Some Star Wars fans want to collect action figures...these fans want to be action figures! A tribute to the 501st Legion, a global organization of Star Wars costume enthusiasts, this insightful documentary shows how the super-fan club promotes interest in the films through charity and volunteer work at fundraisers and high-profile special events around the world.

NEW! A Conversation with the Masters: The Empire Strikes Back 30 Years Later (2010, Color, Apx. 25 Minutes) - George Lucas, Irvin Kershner, Lawrence Kasdan and John Williams look back on the making of The Empire Strikes Back in this in-depth retrospective from Lucasfilm created to help commemorate the 30th anniversary of the movie. The masters discuss and reminisce about one of the most beloved films of all time.

NEW! Star Wars Spoofs (2011, Color, Apx. 91 Minutes) - The farce is strong with this one! Enjoy a hilarious collection of Star Wars spoofs and parodies that have been created over the years, including outrageous clips from Family Guy, The Simpsons, How I Met Your Mother and more -- and don't miss "Weird Al" Yankovic's one-of-a-kind music video tribute to The Phantom Menace!

The Making of Star Wars (1977, Color, Apx. 49 Minutes) - Learn the incredible behind-the-scenes story of how the original Star Wars movie was brought to the big screen in this fascinating documentary hosted by C-3PO and R2-D2. Includes interviews with George Lucas and appearances by Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher.

The Empire Strikes Back: SPFX (1980, Color, Apx. 48 Minutes) - Learn the secrets of making movies in a galaxy far, far away. Hosted by Mark Hamill, this revealing documentary offers behind-the-scenes glimpses into the amazing special effects that transformed George Lucas' vision for Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back into reality!

Classic Creatures: Return of the Jedi (1983, Color, Apx. 48 Minutes) - Go behind the scenes -- and into the costumes -- as production footage from Return of the Jedi is interspersed with vintage monster movie clips in this in-depth exploration of the painstaking techniques utilized by George Lucas to create the classic creatures and characters seen in the film. Hosted and narrated by Carrie Fisher and Billie Dee Williams.

Anatomy of a Dewback (1997, Color, Apx. 26 Minutes) - See how some of the special effects in Star Wars became even more special two decades later! George Lucas explains and demonstrates how his team transformed the original dewback creatures from immovable rubber puppets (in the original 1977 release) to seemingly living, breathing creatures for the Star Wars 1997 Special Edition update.

Star Wars Tech (2007, Color, Apx. 46 Minutes) - Exploring the technical aspects of Star Wars vehicles, weapons and gadgetry, Star Wars Tech consults leading scientists in the fields of physics, prosthetics, lasers, engineering and astronomy to examine the plausibility of Star Wars technology based on science as we know it today.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If there is more that they aren't telling us unless we post on fb/twitterr then we'll have to wait until someone does all that and posts wha tit is.

You know at this point I would be happy with the unaltered OT with JUST anamorphic widescreen. Fine...dont remaster it in HD, dont give us 5.1 sound, whatever...but can we at least get some anamorphic widescreen? As a special feature maybe? Anything George!?

I just cancelled my preorder on Amazon. Under reasons I put "Other" and then wrote:

I have lost faith in George Lucas.

as my justification.

[quote name='kak23']I just cancelled my preorder on Amazon. Under reasons I put "Other" and then wrote:

I have lost faith in George Lucas.

as my justification.[/QUOTE]
lol.

I remember being young and hopeful that George Lucas knew what he was doing. Now I realize he's just a crazy old man that enjoys pissing off his fans.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']Yeah, the box art for the original trilogy BD set puts that shit to shame. They need to rethink that nonsense. Or put the two individual sets in the big box plus a third, likely shittier one for the extra discs. Or something.

It's like Lucasfilm wants me to spend less money on Star Wars than I want to.[/QUOTE]

I actually think the complete saga set looks kind of nice, though I agree the Original Trilogy one is better.

i'm not one to geek out or get in fights over SW stuff, but I do not like the complete saga cover at all! I'm assuming its young Anakin walking forward, and Luke walking away? that doesn't make any sense at all! If anything, it'd have to be like the Ep1 promo poster with young Anakin and a shadow of Darth Vader..so I think it should be vader walking away if anything..but as I typed this, I realized why maybe they had Anakin and Luke..and that 'pastel' looking color pallette? this isn't a piece of art, we aren't 5th graders..

[quote name='bvharris']I actually think the complete saga set looks kind of nice, though I agree the Original Trilogy one is better.[/QUOTE]
If it was a picture of the background without the two characters (or just Luke's back) it would be fine, but putting Jake Lloyd as the most prominent person on the cover is just wrong.

[quote name='bvharris']I actually think the complete saga set looks kind of nice, though I agree the Original Trilogy one is better.[/QUOTE]

To me it looks less like a good, classy cover for one of the most important sci-fi series in film history, and more like something I'd expect to see airbrushed on black velvet and being sold in a truck stop in rural Texas, hanging between similarly done portraits of Elvis and dogs playing poker. All it needs is "May the Force be with you... always" scrawled across the sky where the Star Wars logo is in pink cursive to complete the effect. But maybe that's just me.

bread's done
Back