Amazon Prime Members get 20% off Games from Pre-orders and New Releases

Jeff Jr.

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Didn't see this posted.

Prime Members get 20% off New Releases and Pre-Orders till 2 weeks after releases Date. 

http://www.amazon.com/b/?&node=13584215011

Prime Exclusive Savings 20% off new physical video games during pre-order through two weeks after release Discount will be applied automatically at checkout Offer valid when shipped and sold by Amazon Offer will be automatically extended to all existing Prime member pre-orders.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazon is trying to convince me to renew my Prime. They'll have to do better then half-ass matching Best Buy's GCU if they want another $90+ from me.
UoO0IuE.png

I agree. GCU has broader applicability and costs less. It's clearly the better value proposition.

Oh poor amazon, not a bad attempt but that two week limit on new releases is lame. Gcu owns this, especially since its easy to rack up reward zone coupons with gcu when the double points kick in
$30 GCU - 2 Year Membership > $100 Amazon Prime - 1 Year Membership

Amazon at one point was super kind and offered $10 to even $20 reward certificates for pre-ordering games from them... The good ol' days. What happened?
Complaining about an awesome new Amazon discount I see.

RIP Best Buy
Not sure how. It's already been mentioned. GCU is cheaper, membership is longer, and the discount isn't limited to two weeks and stacks with other sales.

Not saying this new thing from Amazon isn't good. It's just not as good as what Best Buy already offers.

Why does this have to be the console (retailer) wars?  What are you all, 10?  This is awesome news for everybody. 20% off all new release games from Amazon is a game changer and it will keep Best Buy and other retailers competitive in the future.

GCU still gives you double points on trade-ins, doesn't have a window for the 20% discount, and its much cheaper. Amazon is still 2nd place, and they always will be.

20% off new physical video games during pre-order through two weeks after release

The 2 weeks thing really ruins it for me. The thing i like about BB's GCU is that you get 20% off after a B2G1F deal, making it even better
bestbuy does B2G1 free 1 week a year.

Bestbuy also keeps retail price for almost every game, except the handful of games that are on sale for that week, then it's back to full price.

At least amazon lowers their prices over time.

GCU still gives you double points on trade-ins, doesn't have a window for the 20% discount, and its much cheaper. Amazon is still 2nd place, and they always will be.

Good luck finding a 1-2 year old game at bestbuy that isn't retail price. While it's already half price or lower at amazon.

Gamestop wont compete. The greatest thing ever though was back in the day, Like 2006 maybe, the gamestop I use to frequent had another gaming store open up in the same strip mall, maybe 80 feet away. That store sold all of their games for like 5 bucks less. So gamestop to compete, had this deal where current gen games (360, PS3) got 10 dollar trade in value MINIMUM. Like you could walk in there with trash games that would normally be 4 bucks credit but you would get 14. I had a filed day with that, everything was tradable, some newer games could net you 45 bucks credit. It was ridiculous. Unfortunately that other store folded up shop and that policy went away. It was golden while it lasted though.

I said I was going to stop buying games on release.  I said I was going to start heavy waiting for B2G1F at Best Buy.  Then Amazon comes in, matches GCU, and adds no-tax on top of it making it a ~25% discount or so.  Nooooooo!!!!!!  Yes!!

Competition is good, fellas!  

I like it when these large retailers roll up their sleeves and bop each other in the nutties in the hopes of undercutting one another.

Competition is good, fellas!

I like it when these large retailers roll up their sleeves and bop each other in the nutties in the hopes of undercutting one another.
It's like what McDonald's, Wendy's, and BK are doing right now. They each have a new cheap value menu looking to get people to buy from their restaurant.

20% off new physical video games during pre-order through two weeks after release

Bestbuy also keeps retail price for almost every game, except the handful of games that are on sale for that week, then it's back to full price.

Good luck finding a 1-2 year old game at bestbuy that isn't retail price. While it's already half price or lower at amazon.
That's why I just price match Amazon at Best Buy

Best Buy doing B2G1 once a year is an exaggeration. They do it a few times a year.

Best Buy also price matches Amazon, so if they don't have it in retail, I can still pricematch online, and still get reward points.

It's nice to see some competition, not going to complain there. But Amazon is definitely still lacking against GCU.
How so? If you don't have a local brick and mortar Best Buy, a WHOLE lot of the value proposition of GCU goes right out the window. If you don't trade in games, a fair amount of GCU's value is diminished.

Plus, unlike GCU, people aren't going to be getting Prime just for the 20% off new releases. Yes, it costs ten times more a year, but it also comes with pile of extra services.

The value proposition is a whole lot harder to parse than just "discounts on video games".

Myself? I don't really care. I'll have both services, because they both provide value in their own way. However, in another year when it's time to re-up my GCU membership, I'll be thinking twice. That won't be the case with my Prime membership.

How so? If you don't have a local brick and mortar Best Buy, a WHOLE lot of the value proposition of GCU goes right out the window. If you don't trade in games, a fair amount of GCU's value is diminished.

Plus, unlike GCU, people aren't going to be getting Prime just for the 20% off new releases. Yes, it costs ten times more a year, but it also comes with pile of extra services.

The value proposition is a whole lot harder to parse than just "discounts on video games".

Myself? I don't really care. I'll have both services, because they both provide value in their own way. However, in another year when it's time to re-up my GCU membership, I'll be thinking twice. That won't be the case with my Prime membership.
Personally, the big thing about GCU is that its 20% off ALL new games...not just preorders. So I can wait to buy a game till it falls in price, and still get a 20% off discount (on top of reward points). Amazon, so far, is only 20% off preorders up to 2 weeks after release.

But that's all besides the point. As you say, more options is better for us consumers anyway!

GCU works when you order online too. It's just the activation that requires in-store.

With GCU, I'm getting reward points which is double for games. Throughout the year, popular titles get $10 back for preordering.

I don't normally trade in games but once in a while, on rare occasion, I get a game I just don't like, and BB with GCU beats out Amazon in terms of trade in value for newer games. I've recently trade in Helldivers, Amazon offer $7, while BB offered $11 with GCU.

Also, the Amazon discount only applies to their preorders, not all new purchases.

Following your logic, Amazon's extra services and value proposition is wasteful if someone doesn't use Amazon Music/Video/Audible/etc, and was using it for the shipping/game.

Personally, I have Amazon Prime mainly for the shipping. I almost never use any of the other services. However, I'm not going to complain if there is more competition benefiting consumers. But Amazon still got some way to go to win people back from Best Buy for gaming purchases.

I don't think anyone would sign up for a prime membership just to get the 20% pre-order discount on games.

You sign-up for prime because you want 2-day shipping (and order a lot throughout the year), or want to take advantage of their streaming services (Movies, Music, Photos, Kindle Library).

This pre-order discount is just a bonus to those other features of prime.

It's already been mentioned. GCU is cheaper, membership is longer, and the discount isn't limited to two weeks and stacks with other sales.
Well yes. :) Mileage is going to vary. But for me, most of what I'm buying with GCU is preorders, which between tax and my Rewards credit card Amazon now beats. I just moved over every outstanding preorder I had with BB over to Amazon.

Best Buy now only has an edge on games that are already released, and that's hardly a sure thing since at Best Buy game prices tend to languish at MSRP, plus the tax.

Really starting to envy those who still live in a Amazon-tax-free state. It's like a 5% boost to one's salary.

This is only for new releases and doesnt stack with sales. Its a start but they can add more to this
Amazon has a golden opportunity here. Just add the 20% off to all games/prices and they'll steal a lot of business from Best Buy. I would much rather have free two day/same day shipping, than a $10 reward certificate.

Amazon doesn't stack the 20% with sale price though, only if the game is full price lol. Bb often has games at a good sale price and gcu stacks with it, 15.99, 7.99, 23.99 on many good games. And you're confusing bb with psn, xbl.. old games are not full price, might be higher than amazon, who knows, but gcu probably would even make bb lower. Its really no comparison. I like Amazon and am glad they did this, but its an added insensitive to 2 day shipping and prime movies / music, therefore its okay the gaming portiong isn't as good.

What happens if when the game releases you are no longer with Prime?? Mine expires in June and I'm not renewing, yet TR comes to PS4 after that.

The only reason I got these at Amazon and not BB with GamersClub is because TR PS4 and Gravity Rush PS4 aren't even on BB yet.  Typical!

Amazon doesn't charge until the day a pre order ships, right? I may do the 30 day prime trial just to get free two day shipping on Gravity Rush Remastered, which releases February 2nd. Tha tway I get free release day shipping and get the 20% discount, a la GCU.

So I just cancel the Prime before it ends to make sure I don't get charged the $99? 

Amazon is finally starting to wake up, after spending the last couple of years in the dark ages in which all they did was price match people. I doubt we will ever see the $10 and $20 promotional coupons again that they used to do with preorders, but this beats nothing. I guess they finally started to notice a significant drop in game sales. 

It's a nice plus for Prime.... but like GCU, I don't see myself taking advantage of it.  GCU doesn't work for me because the closest stores are too far away and have terrible game sections.  I mostly buy older games that have gone cheap anyway in which case bestbuy.com sort of sucks bad.  For Amazon, it's not too hard for me to just up my order to $35 or more of qualifying stuff for free shipping.  Prime video was pretty pathetic when I had Prime a year ago and I barely used it or any of the other functionality of Prime.  So it was a waste.

Still, if Prime went cheaper then I'd be happy to take an extra 20% off of pre-orders.  But given what I want this year (DQ games on 3DS, maybe a couple other games) it wouldn't even come close to making it worth it.

According to this:

"Offer will be automatically extended to all existing Prime member pre-orders."
I'm looking at my order for the FE Fates special edition and it's sitting at $79.99. Any precedent to know if it'll be applied at time of shipment, or are special ed. preorders exclusded, or what?

Might just email them and get it over with, obviously I can't cancel this one.

What happens if when the game releases you are no longer with Prime?? Mine expires in June and I'm not renewing, yet TR comes to PS4 after that.

The only reason I got these at Amazon and not BB with GamersClub is because TR PS4 and Gravity Rush PS4 aren't even on BB yet. Typical!
You'll get the discount and will ship at whatever speed you selected.

Gravity Rush Remastered is an Amazon exclusive in NA.

So my future looks like:

Xbox One pre-orders / existing game sales at Best Buy

Nintendo pre-orders / Amiibo / Disney Infinity at Amazon

I can live with that.

This could get interesting. I only preorder CEs though. Wish I had ordered The Division CE for PS4 before it went out of stock instead of waiting for Best Buy to maybe put it back up.

Best Buy is gonna have to come hard with $10 certificates because this 20% off my games and not leaving my house deal is working for me.

This wouldn't make me sign up for Prime if I didn't have it and use it for all kinds of other stuff but since I do have Prime and buy a lot from Amazon, it may make me buy a few more games from them at launch instead of Best Buy, especially since Best Buy's Xbox distributors don't want to ship games to my APO address.

Works for me since I can't really join GCU with Best Buy far away and joining can be a pain I hear.  Wish they'd add a way to do that online. 

bread's done
Back