Animal Crossing: City Folk - Gen. Discussion and info

[quote name='Strell']I don't get what I'm so wrong about. Unless you are implying I didn't know there was an N64 version, which I did. Hence why the GC version is sort of like an AC+ version, and then the DS version is basically just a slight extension of that.

You think I'm using the plus signs to denote pure number, when I'm using it to talk about features present in each successful build. Further, from an American standpoint, there are three titles in the series, which is more what I'm getting at. And finally, since this version looks identical to all previous versions, which is just ridiculous.[/quote]
Fine. Me saying you were wrong was in jest, and doesn't imply anything. I hate Nintendo's strategy just as much as you. Yet somehow, I manage to get every AC within a few weeks of release. :lol:

While I haven't played an Animal Crossing game yet, I'm a little disappointed in the bundle because that was actually a big draw and would have been a good move for Nintendo. I was all over, "Buy Animal Crossing and get Wii Speak for $10!", but $20 kind of feels like a bit of a rip off when I already own a good high quality headset/mic.

But considering I already have placeholders for games at TRU, they already have me hook, line, and sinker. Damn you Nintendo! *shakes fist*

[quote name='BlueLobstah']While I haven't played an Animal Crossing game yet, I'm a little disappointed in the bundle because that was actually a big draw and would have been a good move for Nintendo. I was all over, "Buy Animal Crossing and get Wii Speak for $10!", but $20 kind of feels like a bit of a rip off when I already own a good high quality headset/mic.

But considering I already have placeholders for games at TRU, they already have me hook, line, and sinker. Damn you Nintendo! *shakes fist*[/quote]

I was ready to buy the bundle with Wii Speak being $10 but not for $20. I probably wouldn't use the feature enough to justify it anyway, and I certainly don't need more crap on top of my TV.

[quote name='Strell']I can't tell if you are saying the fish thing is new or not, since that's not how the DS version handled it.

But yes - overall it sounds like AC:WW+, which in and of itself was AC+.

So really we're at AC++.

After this, the series needs a total overhaul. Really it needed it now but there's no point belaboring that since that's clearly not the case.[/quote]

The disparity between AC's potential and reality gets more disconcerting each time they release a "new" game... I hope there is at least MORE now... more fish? more bugs? more stuff to buy? more neighbors? I can has? please?? PLEASE????

but probably not... I haven't had much time to read up on the game, beyond what IGN has posted... if they're any indication, Nintendo is being fairly tight-lipped about the whole thing? Certainly wasn't much there when I looked...

Regardless, I look forward to joining the ranks of bitches for Nook ;) It's going to be good (CALMING) therapy for me when this semester is over. I guess with this being the general attitude, Nintendo has no real reason to change much of anything... Maybe next time :lol:

[quote name='lilboo']So wait. I HAVE A VERY UPSETTING question.

:whistle2:(

How big will the save block be?

:whistle2:([/QUOTE]

Yeah, this is my concern as well. I wonder how many things I'll have to toss from the fridge to fit this beast in? :roll:

I have this preordered at Blockbuster and if they don't have it day 1, I'll get the bundle from Gamestop if they have any in. Blockbuster won't have the bundle version of course. I'm tempted to preorder at Gamestop to secure one, but then I'm not even that sure I want voice chat in AC... Seems wrong, you know? I guess the $10 makes a big difference - at $60 I'd preorder at Gamestop for sure, but at $70, meh, I'll leave it up to chance (BB doesn't get my preorder day 1 and GS has the bundle for purchase means I get it).

I went ahead and reserved the game only version at Gamestop today, I'll wait to see exactly how far Nintendo and 3rd parties take Wii speak.

And with this, I'm officially on Christmas cutoff :lol:

[quote name='dmunkee']I went ahead and reserved the game only version at Gamestop today, I'll wait to see exactly how far Nintendo and 3rd parties take Wii speak.

And with this, I'm officially on Christmas cutoff :lol:[/quote]

When has anyone (nintendo included) used an accessory for more than 3 games?

I'm getting it.. but i should know better by now.

[quote name='nbballard']When has anyone (nintendo included) used an accessory for more than 3 games?

I'm getting it.. but i should know better by now.[/quote]

Yeah, I have a freakin' drawer full of white Wii crap that pretty much goes unused.

*looks at Wii wheel*

*looks at balance board*

*looks at zapper*

:cry:

[quote name='nbballard']When has anyone (nintendo included) used an accessory for more than 3 games?

I'm getting it.. but i should know better by now.[/quote]
Haha, yeah. So true, yet we still buy the shit.

I think this Wii Speak is the straw that broke Mario's back. So far it seems none of us are getting it, we'll just have to keyboard it up.

That is what I've read. But I also read that AC + Wii Speak will be a $60.00 bundle. :wall:

You're supposed to be able to use a USB keyboard, and also be able to send messages via Wii Message Board, E-mail, and I think texting!?

USB keyboard support would be glorious, and honestly, I think this game, (much like LittleBigPlanet) is more fun with just text.
I love seeing little bubble speech thingies.

Just saw the commercial for this, and it was terrible.

I somehow knew what it was without knowing what it was beforehand, and that scares the shit out of me given the nature of the advertisement.

I wonder if Nintendo is dumb enough to make it such that if two people were playing online, and one has WiiSpeak and the other doesn't, that you can't actually send voice messages in-game unless both people have it.

In other words, does the WiiSpeak itself generate the voice messages, or are they filtered through the game's audio? I guess I can't imagine the former being true, but Nintendo does amazingly dumb things sometimes, and I could see this being the case.

^^ Oy, that never occured to me, but, damn, you may be on to something there. Nintendo does do some dumb stuff so it wouldn't surprise me at this point. Actually, I see it as a "security" thing they may want to enforce - if you don't have Wii Speak then that means you don't want to hear all the foul language generated by the other people (despite them being on your friend code list ;)).

Aye, you'll have to put your kids to sleep if we ever play, Io. I'm going to make it a point to drop the f bomb every ten seconds or so.

[quote name='Strell']Aye, you'll have to put your kids to sleep if we ever play, Io. I'm going to make it a point to drop the f bomb every ten seconds or so.[/quote]

You should have your own theme sound on wii speak so we know when lock away the kiddies before you approach them.

Edit #1: fixed...

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Strell']Aye, you'll have to put your kids to sleep if we ever play, Io. I'm going to make it a point to drop the f bomb every ten seconds or so.[/QUOTE]

Well, yeah, actually, this did occur to me. Maybe if Nintendo does this it actually isn't such a bad idea. 'Cause I can guarantee my kids will be with me for at least some of the time I play this online. Though the really naughty stuff can happen after they go to bed ;).

(Of course what they should do to make everyone happy is simply to have the ability to turn off Wii Speak functionality via an Options menu. But that would be too simple and elegant).

By the way, do you guy's think the game will be easy to find, or we will find another wii fit/kart scenario where these will be impossible to find for a good period of time? To even ask this pretty much mean's Im going to need to buy this on Sunday

[quote name='Filler2001']By the way, do you guy's think the game will be easy to find, or we will find another wii fit/kart scenario where these will be impossible to find for a good period of time? To even ask this pretty much mean's Im going to need to buy this on Sunday[/quote]

I doubt you'll have a problem at all finding the game itself on Sunday.

The Wii Speak bundle, on the other hand, is in much shorter supply at retailers.

Well, what I mean is, what if I would have to go the following Saturday due to some sort of circumstance? Could I still find a copy then?

[quote name='Strell']Just saw the commercial for this, and it was terrible.

I somehow knew what it was without knowing what it was beforehand, and that scares the shit out of me given the nature of the advertisement.

I wonder if Nintendo is dumb enough to make it such that if two people were playing online, and one has WiiSpeak and the other doesn't, that you can't actually send voice messages in-game unless both people have it.

In other words, does the WiiSpeak itself generate the voice messages, or are they filtered through the game's audio? I guess I can't imagine the former being true, but Nintendo does amazingly dumb things sometimes, and I could see this being the case.[/QUOTE]

It's tough to tell from this video, but it seems like the sound is coming through the TV audio channels:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UORYcA7zhGo

I just read this on GiantBomb: "It seems that the device comes with a software code that can be used to download the "Wii Speak Channel," which can be used to set up chats with other similarly equipped users. The catch is that it's a one-time code, so if you end up picking up a used one, chances are you'll get one without the code or with a code that's already been used."

:roll:

[quote name='yukine']I just read this on GiantBomb: "It seems that the device comes with a software code that can be used to download the "Wii Speak Channel," which can be used to set up chats with other similarly equipped users. The catch is that it's a one-time code, so if you end up picking up a used one, chances are you'll get one without the code or with a code that's already been used."

:roll:[/QUOTE]

The funny part? The Wii Speak Channel was pushed back to December, apparently since there's no place to enter the code in the US Wii Shop Channel (The Japanese Wii Shop has had the code area for some time, due to Daigasso! Band Brothers DX and its Speaker Channel using the same process).

Did the GC version have loading screens like this one?
And I'm assuming you can't play locally 2 players at a time right? I forget how it worked on GC but I want to say no.

I'm hoping to get this early. I called my local mom and pop shop and they said they're expecting it to get there tomorrow. We'll see how that goes.

Im really annoyed that this game comes out this SUNDAY. :roll: Like seriously. I hate when Nintendo does this shit. Why can't it come out on a Tues/Wed like MOST games..this way I could have all weekend to play. :wall:

[quote name='dallow']Did the GC version have loading screens like this one?
And I'm assuming you can't play locally 2 players at a time right? I forget how it worked on GC but I want to say no.[/QUOTE]

From what I've heard: Due to it originally being an N64 game, the GC version was still small enough to fit the entire game in the GC's RAM, thus resulting in little to no load times.

The GC version didn't support simultaneous local multiplayer, and I haven't heard anything specific about City Folk supporting it, but it does have DS Download Play for "visiting other players' towns," so it might have some sort of simultaneous local mode.

[quote name='yukine']I just read this on GiantBomb: "It seems that the device comes with a software code that can be used to download the "Wii Speak Channel," which can be used to set up chats with other similarly equipped users. The catch is that it's a one-time code, so if you end up picking up a used one, chances are you'll get one without the code or with a code that's already been used."

:roll:[/QUOTE]

So now I have a problem. I've always liked typing Micro$oft and $ony because they're soooooo evil and greedy. How can I possibly type Nintendo in a similar, edgy fashion?

Really can't wait for this game to come out this Sunday. When it does it will be epic just like the Gamecube version. I will not say the the DS version was as awesome, but it was still kind of decent. Hopefully they won't convert this game to a game where you're required to play online to have the most fun, but I don't think that will be the case.

[quote name='Halo05']So now I have a problem. I've always liked typing Micro$oft and $ony because they're soooooo evil and greedy. How can I possibly type Nintendo in a similar, edgy fashion?[/QUOTE]

₦in₮€n₫¤
See anything you like?

[quote name='Halo05'] How can I possibly type Nintendo in a similar, edgy fashion?[/QUOTE]

We could take the Penny Arcade panel from this year's E3 with Reggie saying "we are rich as f*ck" and scale it down into a smiley of sorts.

picked up my copy at walmart this afternoon. they did not have any bundles or separate wii speaks. i asked about it and they had no idea what i was talking about.

oddly enough, even though it's street dated for sunday, the sale was NOT blocked in walmart's computer. so... if you're hurtin' for some AC action, or really wanna get KK's song on Saturday night, start checking walmarts.

[quote name='lilboo']Im really annoyed that this game comes out this SUNDAY. :roll: Like seriously. I hate when Nintendo does this shit. Why can't it come out on a Tues/Wed like MOST games..this way I could have all weekend to play. :wall:[/QUOTE]

You could also look at it like it's releasing 2-3 days early . . . Sunday rather than the following Tuesday/Wednesday.

I agree with you though that it's annoying to get a new game and then have a whole work week coming up.

NinYENdo it is. Thanks for helping me continue to stick it to the man.

All rebellion aside, I'd love to get this but there's no way I can afford it at the moment. I wish I could buy retail games with VC points.

If you want to get it early, you can check walmart like someone else here said. I looked at the online stock locator and one place around Columbus, OH has it.

I called one store that was closer and got an indian man on the phone. I asked if he had Animal Crossing in and he said "It does not sell wil Sunday." I felt like being an ass and said "But do you have it in?". And he just kept saying "Sir, we can not sell it until Sunday"

That's my story.

i happened to be at 2 other walmarts today and passed by video games to see if i got lucky or it was widespread... but nobody else had animal crossing out. or wii speak.

i found mine at the eastchase walmart in arlington, TX for those interested in jumping in early.

i played a little bit last night. i knew it LOOKED exactly like all the others, but i was still expecting something new and cool when i started playing. like, maybe the videos didn't do it justice. nope, the videos are dead on. except for a some subtle visual changes and a screwy menu system, there's little to distinguish the wii version from the gamecube version.

[quote name='DocRamon']i happened to be at 2 other walmarts today and passed by video games to see if i got lucky or it was widespread... but nobody else had animal crossing out. or wii speak.

i found mine at the eastchase walmart in arlington, TX for those interested in jumping in early.

i played a little bit last night. i knew it LOOKED exactly like all the others, but i was still expecting something new and cool when i started playing. like, maybe the videos didn't do it justice. nope, the videos are dead on. except for a some subtle visual changes and a screwy menu system, there's little to distinguish the wii version from the gamecube version.[/quote]
:(

Oh well, this time around, I'll be playing it on a 55" HDTV instead of a 25" Sanyo with the GC back then, or a 2" touchscreen.

I think it'll be great to just sit back and relax too.
I can already picture it........ damnit, AC you got me again!

bread's done
Back