Anime and Manga Thread Vol. 1: Visions of a God

I got a new PMP that does mkv so i started watching Princess Tutu. I'm 4 eps in and not sure if this show is supposed to be a comedy or what. Unless its supposed to be this way, the series is painfully obvious in the context of the fairy tale being real (1st episode i guessed that the black guy is probably the crow in the story).

I've also had three people give me really weird looks at work when they ask what I am watching and I reply "Princess Tutu". There's really no way to try and spin the name into something that doesn't sound terrible. I should stop taking recommendations from anyone who actually liked Utena, but I assume since I cant watch Kekko Kamen or Angel's Egg due to it being hard to work and read subs, i'll keep watching it tomorrow.

I just finished watching Initial D. It was fantastic. I got is for like $18 shipped from here. This is one of the first anime shows I have watched since like Pokemon (I was young and liked it...) and now I am hooked again. I have heard good thing about Capeta, so I might check that out soon.

[quote name='Bezerker']I should stop taking recommendations from anyone who actually liked Utena, but I assume since I cant watch Kekko Kamen or Angel's Egg due to it being hard to work and read subs, i'll keep watching it tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

That's probably true. If you don't like Utena, you're already pretty fucking retarded, and there's probably no hope for you as a human being. Not enjoying Princess Tutu just confirms this.

Has anyone read the newest chapter of FMA?

Definitely the most "holy shit" chapter of the manga, but I'm holding out a hope that the Xing'ese transmutation circle is going to reverse the effects. I cant imagine they'd kill off Winry & etc without any kind of Darth Vader "Noooooo" moment from Edward.

Finally got around to watching Paprika today based on the recommendation here, and it was just ok. Maybe it was because I watched the English dub, but the voice acting seemed meh up until the final 30 minutes or so. Everyone just had the same tone, didn't really let the characters have their own personality.

[quote name='Bezerker']Has anyone read the newest chapter of FMA?

Definitely the most "holy shit" chapter of the manga, but I'm holding out a hope that the Xing'ese transmutation circle is going to reverse the effects. I cant imagine they'd kill off Winry & etc without any kind of Darth Vader "Noooooo" moment from Edward.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah it hit the fan with that chapter

[quote name='Bezerker']I got a new PMP that does mkv so i started watching Princess Tutu. I'm 4 eps in and not sure if this show is supposed to be a comedy or what. Unless its supposed to be this way, the series is painfully obvious in the context of the fairy tale being real (1st episode i guessed that the black guy is probably the crow in the story).

I've also had three people give me really weird looks at work when they ask what I am watching and I reply "Princess Tutu". There's really no way to try and spin the name into something that doesn't sound terrible. I should stop taking recommendations from anyone who actually liked Utena, but I assume since I cant watch Kekko Kamen or Angel's Egg due to it being hard to work and read subs, i'll keep watching it tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Utena, TuTu, and a lot of other shows get pretty unconventional with how they deliver the plot and character feelings. This can be really hit or miss, and it's not something everyone can enjoy.

Tutu is merely an okay show. It actually has some surprising plot twists but needs to be about half the length as it can drag "monster of the week" style in the middle.

Utena's anime is not nearly as good as SOME ONE would have you believe. It's certainly quite feminine, abstract, and homoerotic which can quickly eliminate enjoyment for most men. I really have to be in a certain frame of mind to watch this kind of thing. You can pull enjoyment and plot from shows like this, but it doesn't give it up willingly.

Watching anything dubbed colors your perception of the show. Almost all shows are worse dubbed, so any recommendations you ever hear from me are specifically about the original language track.

inb4 KL raves about shows that question WHAT IS MAN despite their entertainment value. ;)

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']inb4 KL raves about shows that question WHAT IS MAN despite their entertainment value. ;)[/QUOTE]

Naw, if anything I'd just make a joke about how this criticism is coming from a person who gets off on shallow, insipid, drag-on shonen action shows. ;)

[quote name='Bretts31344']I just finished watching Initial D. It was fantastic. I got is for like $18 shipped from here. This is one of the first anime shows I have watched since like Pokemon (I was young and liked it...) and now I am hooked again. I have heard good thing about Capeta, so I might check that out soon.[/QUOTE]The you'll be happy to hear that Funimation is going to be bringing eve more Initial D stateside, and will do a much better job than the version you watched.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Naw, if anything I'd just make a joke about how this criticism is coming from a person who gets off on shallow, insipid, drag-on shonen action shows. ;)[/QUOTE]

I would counter with how obviously shirtless dudes grappling and fighting isn't homoerotic ENOUGH for KL! :lol:

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']I would counter with how obviously shirtless dudes grappling and fighting isn't homoerotic ENOUGH for KL! :lol:[/QUOTE]

That's... probably not far from the truth.

[quote name='Bretts31344']I just finished watching Initial D. It was fantastic. I got is for like $18 shipped from here. This is one of the first anime shows I have watched since like Pokemon (I was young and liked it...) and now I am hooked again. I have heard good thing about Capeta, so I might check that out soon.[/QUOTE]

Hmm... tempted to buy. Wait, does he deliver tofu or pizza in this one?

[quote name='ValkyrieVF-1S']Hmm... tempted to buy. Wait, does he deliver tofu or pizza in this one?[/QUOTE]

Tofu. There are two versions at the title screen: one for the "Classic" and "Tricked Out" version. I just check and both versions have his dad selling tofu. It has both Japanese and English tracks. English subtitles and subtitles for just translating some road signs, etc. XxFury2Xx said Funimation will be release new Initial D stuff, but I don't know what that entails. I thought it was easily worth the $18.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']Watching anything dubbed colors your perception of the show. Almost all shows are worse dubbed, so any recommendations you ever hear from me are specifically about the original language track.[/QUOTE]

The Japanese are not immaculate; Japanese dubs have just as much variability in quality as English dubs. There is no overarching, general rule that dictates that all Japanese dubs are superior to English dubs.

[quote name='Chronis']You are correct, sir.[/QUOTE]

Dammit.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']Watching anything dubbed colors your perception of the show. Almost all shows are worse dubbed, so any recommendations you ever hear from me are specifically about the original language track.[/QUOTE]

do you know japanese? i thought you did, but my memory's not so hot.

personally, i used to hate dubs. i thought the japanese audio was way better, as the english voices felt comical, cartoonish, exaggerated caricatures of how real people talk, with few exceptions (in cowboy bebop, for example, the characters talk like real people in the dub, and the result is a perfectly tolerable english release)...

but then, ~5 years ago i started studying japanese, and as i got more accustomed to the typical use of the language i realized most japanese audio tracks, like their english counterparts, were caricatures of normal japanese speaking.

basically, when i didn't know japanese, i usually hated english-dubbed anime. now, i usually hate english-dubbed and the original voicing.

one extreme (and popular) example is DBZ -- i used to like it subbed, i felt the dub was too cartoon-ish, everyones voices felt ridiculous and exaggerated, the actors weren't just talking normal they were doing voices and it sucked... after becoming more familiar with japanese, the original audio was actually worse than the dub, as it was even further from normal speech than the english voicing.

so... my point, really, is just that i'm surprised to hear someone familiar with japanese say they're one of the sub-only purists (unless my memory's been corrupted and i'm wrong about your knowledge of the language).

[quote name='Koggit']one extreme (and popular) example is DBZ -- i used to like it subbed, i felt the dub was too cartoon-ish, everyones voices felt ridiculous and exaggerated, the actors weren't just talking normal they were doing voices and it sucked... after becoming more familiar with japanese, the original audio was actually worse than the dub, as it was even further from normal speech than the english voicing.[/QUOTE]

This is what I was going to post. For as exaggerated as the English voice acting is for the Dragon Ball series, the Japanese voice acting is just as bad.

I don't know how anybody can think Japanese tracks aren't cartoonish and forced when every show has one girl with the highest pitched voice possible. This is why I don't watch subbed shows. For what it's worth, the Japanese is just as bad in Japan as the English is in America. Most weeaboos just can't see it because they have enough knowledge of the Japanese language.

I'll watch anime in whatever language sounds best to Me.

[quote name='ValkyrieVF-1S']Hmm... tempted to buy. Wait, does he deliver tofu or pizza in this one?[/QUOTE]
You might as well wait and see what Funi does with the show. They are going to re-release the first 2 stages. Then the will release stage 3 sometime as well.

Edit: May is going to be a crazy month for anime. Initial D Stage 3 and Part 1 of Stage 4 will be released along with FMA: Brotherhood, The 2nd season of season of Shinchan and Vandread Ultimate collection. I'll probably hold off on most of that stuff until there is a nice sale.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']I'll watch anime in whatever language sounds best to Me.

You might as well wait and see what Funi does with the show. They are going to re-release the first 2 stages. Then the will release stage 3 sometime as well.

Edit: May is going to be a crazy month for anime. Initial D Stage 3 and Part 1 of Stage 4 will be released along with FMA: Brotherhood, The 2nd season of season of Shinchan and Vandread Ultimate collection. I'll probably hold off on most of that stuff until there is a nice sale.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I guess I can wait since I've seen all of it so far. But I still plan on picking up Initial D one day.

Initial D is a sick anime. Watched the entire series again last summer. I heard that there was supposed to be another stage. Cant wait til that comes out.

Ive been on a sports anime kick recently, watched Bamboo Blade and the Hajime No Ippo. Anyone know any other sports anime series

[quote name='yohsh'] Ive been on a sports anime kick recently, watched Bamboo Blade and the Hajime No Ippo. Anyone know any other sports anime series[/QUOTE]

Big Windup/Ookiku Furikabutte and Yawara!, for starters.

[quote name='Koggit']do you know japanese? i thought you did, but my memory's not so hot.

so... my point, really, is just that i'm surprised to hear someone familiar with japanese say they're one of the sub-only purists (unless my memory's been corrupted and i'm wrong about your knowledge of the language).[/QUOTE]

indeed i've got some j-knowledge. i lived in japan around a decade ago and i've lost a lot of skills through disuse, but i could get around clumsily if i had to.

i pretty much fell in love with the exaggerated j acting. the lazy tough guy of zoro, the sinister arrogance of vegeta, the heavily accented weirdness of franky, the innocent yet stern goku, and others have always been a favorite part of anime for me. its like i listen to j actors and i can feel that they are trying at full force, there's nothing disingenuous about their potrayal that i feel dubs lack. i even have that dub anime channel, uh...funmation channel or something, but i can hardly stand to watch it.

i seriously can't stand american actors attempting dramatic dialog. ugh.

for no reason at all, my internet speed test results:

mwahahah

It looks like the Vandread Ultimate Collection is the only way to obtain the OVAs. I know they are only recaps, but I hear that they also have some original footage as well. I'd like to own these OVAs, but I'm not particularly interested in buying both seasons of Vandread again.

I finished Last Exile this morning. It's a pretty damn good show. It immediately captivated me with its great characters and all of the awesome action and adventure. Last Exile is set in a world that takes some inspirations from European culture, which I really enjoy, and the world of Last Exile is built around flying being an important part of their culture. Battles are fought between giant flying airships, and they even use musketeers on these airships. I really enjoyed Last Exile's story despite some of the finer details being left unexplained at the end of the show; actually, the ending sequence is the only time where elements of the story are left obfuscated.

Besides the adventure itself, I loved the characters. I was immediately drawn into each of the characters, and I grew attached to a handful of them. The show also did some unexpected things with some of the characters, and even though I didn't want them to happen, they made the story better and more interesting.

Also, Last Exile actually shares a lot of similarities with another Gonzo show, Glass Fleet. However, Last Exile is the superior show, and it was made three years earlier than Glass Fleet. If you ever have a choice between the two, then Last Exile is definitely the better choice.

I saw Armitage 3 Dual Matrix yesterday. Ugh, now I know why I was able to get it for so cheap. It's about as average as a show or movie gets, and the voice acting is pretty terrible. The only thing I can say is that Appleseed did it better.

[quote name='Razzuel']I finished Last Exile this morning. It's a pretty damn good show. It immediately captivated me with its great characters and all of the awesome action and adventure. Last Exile is set in a world that takes some inspirations from European culture, which I really enjoy, and the world of Last Exile is built around flying being an important part of their culture. Battles are fought between giant flying airships, and they even use musketeers on these airships. I really enjoyed Last Exile's story despite some of the finer details being left unexplained at the end of the show; actually, the ending sequence is the only time where elements of the story are left obfuscated.

Besides the adventure itself, I loved the characters. I was immediately drawn into each of the characters, and I grew attached to a handful of them. The show also did some unexpected things with some of the characters, and even though I didn't want them to happen, they made the story better and more interesting.

Also, Last Exile actually shares a lot of similarities with another Gonzo show, Glass Fleet. However, Last Exile is the superior show, and it was made three years earlier than Glass Fleet. If you ever have a choice between the two, then Last Exile is definitely the better choice.[/QUOTE]
Loved that show. Would you recommend watching Glass Fleet?

[quote name='volt1up']Loved that show. Would you recommend watching Glass Fleet?[/QUOTE]

If you loved Last Exile and if you like space operas, then you should enjoy Glass Fleet. It doesn't start very strong, but the show gets better as it progresses. Each episode has an opening monologue, which I enjoyed quite a bit, and there are a good number of awesome characters like Michel, Cleo and Vetti that keep things interesting. The show does have some flaws, but I was able to overlook most of them because of the positive aspects of the show, so I ended up enjoying it overall.

One thing that I absolutely love about Glass Fleet is its artwork. It's too bad the show doesn't look like its still art.

Example:
wall4_800.jpg

If you aren't sure if you would like it enough to commit to buying it, then you can watch the whole show on Funimation's video channel. If you check it out, then let us know what you think.

Glass Fleet Episodes on Funimation's Video Channel

[quote name='yohsh']Ive been on a sports anime kick recently, watched Bamboo Blade and the Hajime No Ippo. Anyone know any other sports anime series[/QUOTE]
Princess Nine is fantastic.

i'm recording a dub of beck off of funmation channel now.
i'll try watching it and get back to you on this allegedly top-class dub.

i have never seen the show before.

I finally got past the Bleach filler and it's getting somewhat better. I may even be calling it good at some point. Although I hate the fact that they kept the filler characters, what kind of shit is that?

Finished Romeo X Juliet. At least for the first 12 episodes or so, I really only digged the parts when they were together. Although after Romeo does his whole exiling thing, the whole gets moderately better. I really appreciated the change in characters as well. That's what made me like Gankutsuou so much. It wasn't just a rehash, it changed it up and made it it's own and I really couldn't guess how it was going to end or at least the path to the ending as the ending is obviously obvious.

[quote name='Indignate']I finally got past the Bleach filler and it's getting somewhat better. I may even be calling it good at some point. Although I hate the fact that they kept the filler characters, what kind of shit is that?[/QUOTE]
You mean those other mod souls? Those things ruined what should have been a pretty awesome part of the anime.

I think I'll throw throw Getbackers and Samurai Deeper Kyo up on ebay. I like both of them but they take up too much room.

[quote name='volt1up']Loved that show. Would you recommend watching Glass Fleet?[/QUOTE]

Absolutely not. Glass Fleet is fucking terrible.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Princess Nine is fantastic.[/QUOTE]

Ooh, I forgot this one. Yes it is!

[quote name='PrarieD0G']Haha one of my friends was at Katsucon. I'll have to ask him about it.[/QUOTE]

Same... except TWO friends went. ;)

Oh, cool. Actually one of my friends and a bunch of acquaintances went (basically a bunch of "interesting" people from the school's anime club, hehe). They all cosplayed as characters from The World Ends With You (the DS game). At one point I had agreed to go with them as one of the characters, haha, but that was back when I was better friends with the one dude.

On a similar note, the same two that went to Katsu, they are in charge of the anime club at my college. And somehow they managed to get the college to pay for a bunch of tickets to iCon. I'm not really the con going type, but everyone was like "FREE TICKETS, YOU'RE GOING!!!!". I come to find out yesterday that i'm scheduled for a trip to Colorado the same week. Funny how that turned out...

so I'm nearly done with Paranoia Agent. it has been pretty decent and one of the eps last night generated some mega lulz. shonen bat is someone i wish would just show up in every anime and ruin scenes that are getting entirely too lame.

Well, I just finished Baccano. After the first six episodes, I thought it was good, but it never captivated me like I was expecting from all of the love it gets. Now that I have got past the first six episodes and finished the show, I have fallen in love with it. This is definitely something that I am going to want to watch again sometime later.

Baccano does a lot of things right. Its narrative structure is one of the best things about the show. During the first handful of episodes, the show is quite disorienting and confusing, but as the show progresses, more discrete pieces of the story are connected to each other, and it becomes quite interesting and fun. This type of storytelling is unique and very refreshing. The 1930s New York setting is also really refreshing. There needs to be more anime that step outside of the usual anime settings and try something new like Baccano — although, Baccano is based on a novel.

Another great thing about Baccano is its violence and action. This show is extremely violent, and surprisingly, some of the violence is shocking and disturbing. It should also be said that the animation is fantastic, which helps facilitate the brilliance of the violence.

Isaac and Miria are the two characters that hold this show together; they are Baccano. Without Isaac and Miria this show would be severely crippled. They're always involved with every part of the story, and they bring radiance to all of the scenes they are in. You can't help but love them even if they are crooks — they're honest, romantic, dramatic, and fun-loving crooks. Sure they just stole from you, but it's for the greater good, or something like that. Another stand-out character is Claire Stanfield. He is a force of nature, and nothing can stand in his way; he is unbelievably cool — his unwavering confidence, semi-twisted sense of justice, and his aforementioned ability to bend the world to his will is stunning — I couldn't take my eyes off of him whenever he was on-screen.

The English dub is also fantastic. Not only are Isaac and Miria the best characters in the show, but their voice actors, J. Michael Tatum and Caitlin Glass, respectively, have the best performances in the show. Their voices and their characters complement each other perfectly, which results in the wackiest, most idiotic, most fun, and most enjoyable characters in Baccano. Claire Standfield's voice actor Jerry Jewell also does a fantastic job portraying his role. Most of the other voices are amazing too, but these three stood out as the best of the bunch.

Baccano is mandatory if you watch anime.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']*reads first couple lines of raz's post*
*reads first couple lines of wiki*

ok i'm in.[/QUOTE]

Have you never heard of Baccano!?

Surprisingly, Razzuel is right (just kidding). It's a very good anime with a great OP, and Issac and Miria who really do steal the show and had me literally LOL in almost every scene they were in.

i've heard the name baccano but i never looked up the wiki before.
basically if a wiki can sell me on the show, i'll give it a go.

bread's done
Back