Anime and Manga Thread Vol. 1: Visions of a God

[quote name='Chronis']Is Baccano the show with The Flying Pussyfoot? Cuz that name still makes me laugh.[/QUOTE]

Yes. The first time i heard the name, i laughed. It was even funnier when I realized they were serious.

Just got the Skull Man from TSRI, watched the first episode, the show definitely has potential.

The first season of Dragon Ball is on sale on Amazon for $26. It'll be the first time in nearly 10 years that I can watch the first 13 episodes with the rest of the series. fuck the assholes that kept the rights to that saga and their shitty dub for so long.

[quote name='yohsh']Initial D is a sick anime. Watched the entire series again last summer. I heard that there was supposed to be another stage. Cant wait til that comes out.

Ive been on a sports anime kick recently, watched Bamboo Blade and the Hajime No Ippo. Anyone know any other sports anime series[/QUOTE]
Whistle is pretty good.

I need to get DB. I liked what I saw on Toonami back when they aired it.

"Sleeping with Hinako" has to be one of the creepiest things I have ever seen... 40 minutes of watching an anime girl sleeping.

NIS America recently announced that it is getting into the anime business. It's first licenses are Toradora, Persona -trinity soul-, Pandora Hearts, and Our Home's Fox Deity. I have been interested in Toradora, so it's awesome to see that getting released over here, and Pandora Hearts looks pretty awesome. I'm slightly interested in Persona and Our Home's Fox Deity — I'll wait and see how those turn out.

Also, Media Blasters announced that they are licensing Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei. This is another series that I have been interested in for a while now. I hear that Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei has a lot of Japanese text and references in the show, so hopefully Media Blasters doesn't mess that up.

Here are the ANN news articles if anyone wants more information:

I just saw a trailer for the Gundam 00 movie... All I can say at the moment is that I'm sad they cut Felt's hair.

Razzuel: I haven't really heard anything good about Trinity Soul. But that was mostly from fans of the games.

Ok, so I sat down and watched the ep of Beck that I recorded off of funmation channel.

It was episode 12, Secret Live.

While the dub wasn't as bad as say parts of Halo Legends or anything, it still has the same soulless flat delivery common in all dubbed anime. Subs get hassled for "not sounding like actual Japanese people speaking" but in what country do people speak English like they do in dubs? It's very easy to imitate what a dubbed anime sounds like simply by abandoning your normal speech patterns and speaking in a very even metered way with lots of pauses mid sentence. I guess it's the "uncanny valley" of speaking for me.

Alternately when dubs aren't speaking in the most dull way possible they have guys like "chiba" speaking in the most annoying voices ever.

Don't take my word for it, judge for yourself:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbRM13FAOXw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCLWadbGBN0

Well after writing the above I clicked through a bunch of subbed eps on youtube and see why people don't like it. They speak Janglish every few minutes which sounds pretty ridiculous. So maybe in this case I can see why people would prefer the dub since the sub is just Japanese dudes speaking bad English.

[quote name='lokizz']are any of you following this whole story about gene simmons son being accused of stealing from manga and using it in his own comic ? lin below is to a facebook page about it and on the page in the pics section are samples of the manga he borrowed from as well as his "interpretations" of the original work.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Calli...arism-of-other-works/10150099569020063?v=wall[/QUOTE]

Ya, I saw a bunch linked here:
http://community.livejournal.com/bleachness/446299.html
Not sure if there are any more examples on this site.

Just finished part 1 of Soul Eater (again), can't wait for part 2 to arrive at the end of March. I had read a couple chapters of the manga and the anime seemed to follow it exactly. So awesome, I need to find the soundtrack.

I think I'll start Bamboo Blade next while waiting for more delicious Soul Eater. I also started watching Dragon Ball season 1 which I haven't seen since Toonami... when was that again? Oh yeah, and watching second season of School Rumble and second season of JLU.

Man do I love my a-110 popcorn hour + 6tb tr4u-b. I never have to get up to switch dvd's :)

Not sure if this is new news or not, but the newest Funimation newsletter announced that they've acquired Trigun to release the series on DVD and Blu-ray this fall.

I'm not sure how I feel about it getting a new dub, but I'm at least glad that it'll probably not be sold in an overpriced boxset/tin.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']Razzuel: I haven't really heard anything good about Trinity Soul. But that was mostly from fans of the games.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Kirin has also said that the Persona anime isn't good. I'm going to wait and see how it fares in ANN's eventual review.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Just wait until he watches it. [/QUOTE]

Haha! That's pretty damn slick!

I finished watching Halo Legends last week. Halo Legends wasn't spectacular, but it had enough entertaining moments to justify the 20 dollar cost. Out of all of the shorts, Prototype and The Babysitter were my favorites. Prototype was produced by Bones, and it shows; it had the best action, animation, and story out of all of the shorts. I liked The Babysitter a lot, too, since the animation was quite good, and the interactions between the characters were interesting. Some of the other shorts have some stand-out qualities, like Odd One Out for its humor and absurdity, The Duel for its amazing, painterly visual style, and The Package for being so similar to the Halo video games.

Another show that I recently finished was Midori Days. I loved it. The premise is kind of strange; the main character, Seiji, has never had a girlfriend, and he expects his right hand to be his only girlfriend for the rest of his life, but one day when he wakes up, his right hand has actually become a girl. Despite how weird that sounds, this premise completely works, and it's treated quite tastefully and sincerely. Midori Days is absolutely hilarious. Not only is it funny, but it does a great job with all of its action and romance. The hilarity started to get turned down near the end of the show, but that's because the show had to resolve the conflict and bring the show to an end. Also, the end of the show was exactly what I wanted.

I also finished watching The Skull Man. I thought it was pretty good. The show excels at its pacing, and its horror and mystery elements were refreshing. The character designs were quite interesting; some of them had an old-school look, but none of them looked cliche. Out of all of the characters, Kiriko looked the most striking. My biggest complaint about the show is that its ending is quite open; The Skull Man feels like a small part of some larger narrative, so it was disappointing to not have any closure. I can only hope that Bones makes a sequel one day, since the ending alludes to the story becoming even more interesting

[quote name='Razzuel']
Another show that I recently finished was Midori Days. I loved it. The premise is kind of strange; the main character, Seiji, has never had a girlfriend, and he expects his right hand to be his only girlfriend for the rest of his life, but one day when he wakes up, his right hand has actually become a girl. Despite how weird that sounds, this premise completely works, and it's treated quite tastefully and sincerely. Midori Days is absolutely hilarious. Not only is it funny, but it does a great job with all of its action and romance. The hilarity started to get turned down near the end of the show, but that's because the show had to resolve the conflict and bring the show to an end. Also, the end of the show was exactly what I wanted.[/QUOTE]
I liked Midori Days too. It was exactly what I was looking for: interesting idea, lots of fun, not too much drama.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Not sure if this is new news or not, but the newest Funimation newsletter announced that they've acquired Trigun to release the series on DVD and Blu-ray this fall.[/QUOTE]I'm guessing that it will be an upconvert for the blu-ray, correct?

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']I'm guessing that it will be an upconvert for the blu-ray, correct?[/QUOTE]
The announcement didn't include any specifics:

We scooped up the 26 episode series “Trigun”.

Personally, I’m really excited about this one.

You can collect the 60 billion double-dollar bounty by catching Vash the Stampede a.k.a. The Humanoid Typhoon on DVD and Blu-ray in Fall 2010.

Ok, you can’t really collect the bounty, but you’ll be able to take home your own copy of Trigun.
http://blog.funimation.com/2010/02/funimation-announcements-from-katsucon/

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-02-14/funimation-gets-trigun-tv-anime-series

Looking on the Funimation forums, one of their mods says it was cel animated, so it has a film master that can allow for it to be remastered for Blu-ray, which should make it look better than just upconverting.

I really hope Trigun gets a DVD and Blu-Ray release. I just recently watched the series online and it is one that I want to add to my collection.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']I'm guessing that it will be an upconvert for the blu-ray, correct?[/QUOTE]

Correct. There's not a chance in hell that Funimation would sponsor a full HD remastering.

[quote name='RchrdJ']I really hope Trigun gets a DVD and Blu-Ray release. I just recently watched the series online and it is one that I want to add to my collection.[/QUOTE]

Its been on DVD for a while.

Bah, looks like a bunch of my figures will be bunched together and sent out. My Parents will really be happy about that...

Nice to hear Trigun is going to be released again. Maybe I'll actually get it this time.

I can't wait for next week when Spring Break starts. I'm going to absolutely gorge myself on anime, hopefully making a nice dent in the backlog I have going on right now.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']I can't wait for next week when Spring Break starts. I'm going to absolutely gorge myself on anime, hopefully making a nice dent in the backlog I have going on right now.[/QUOTE]

It sounds good now, but i'll probably end up playing Final Fantasy XIII all week long ;).

The Skull Man isn't too bad so far (8/13), but it just reinforces the fact that i like dubs a lot more than subs. It's just a pain in the ass to have to read all the time, and during times when there are two people speaking at once (or someone speaking in front of a TV/movie), i have to pause the show just to see what's going on since i can't read both lines of dialog at once. Otherwise, the show is good so far, and i hope it doesn't end too badly.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Correct. There's not a chance in hell that Funimation would sponsor a full HD remastering.[/QUOTE]
Which is too bad cause the dub and audio are fine, it's the animation that needs cleaning up. I would be happy if they just got rid of that jittery camera feeling that the show has and keep everything else the same (and I guess include the 5.1 audio from the remix for the audiophiles).

[quote name='lilman']Which is too bad cause the dub and audio are fine, it's the animation that needs cleaning up. I would be happy if they just got rid of that jittery camera feeling that the show has and keep everything else the same (and I guess include the 5.1 audio from the remix for the audiophiles).[/QUOTE]

I was hoping there would be some chance in a remaster with the movie coming out and possible renewed interest.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Why? It was never produced in HD.[/QUOTE]
Why not? I do know that Japan saw a Bluray release of the first season. Of course I couldn't tell you if it was a remaster or upscaling.

Sometimes I hate translators. Viz screwed up Reborn! enough by replacing "dying will" with "deathperation", but I just finished reading volume 14 and they screwed up two of my favorite parts. For example, changing "Tonight, there's no way I'm going to lose" to "Tonight, I'm going to need all the prayers I can get".

[quote name='Razzuel']
I finished watching Halo Legends last week. Halo Legends wasn't spectacular, but it had enough entertaining moments to justify the 20 dollar cost. Out of all of the shorts, Prototype and The Babysitter were my favorites. Prototype was produced by Bones, and it shows; it had the best action, animation, and story out of all of the shorts. I liked The Babysitter a lot, too, since the animation was quite good, and the interactions between the characters were interesting. Some of the other shorts have some stand-out qualities, like Odd One Out for its humor and absurdity, The Duel for its amazing, painterly visual style, and The Package for being so similar to the Halo video games.[/quote]

DO NOT BUY HALO LEGENDS. IT SUCKS. From the terrible voice acting, poor stories, and bad pacing you'll have a wild ride through a wasted 20 bucks watching Halo Legends! My friends hated it a lot and blamed me for wasting their time but putting it on. Halo Legends ruined my life!

Ok I'm being dramatic, but seriously don't bother. I'm really let down because I'm such a big fan of Halo 3/ODST too.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Sometimes I hate translators. Viz screwed up Reborn! enough by replacing "dying will" with "deathperation", but I just finished reading volume 14 and they screwed up two of my favorite parts. For example, changing "Tonight, there's no way I'm going to lose" to "Tonight, I'm going to need all the prayers I can get".[/QUOTE]
I had some issues like that with the first couple of volumes in Dragonball, which had Goku using slang and other words an isolated mountain boy would never use.

The new Dragon Ball S1 boxset is awesome. Not only is there a play all option, but they also offer a Marathon feature that takes the intro/outros out of all of the episodes and lets you watch all of the episodes without interruption. Adding to that, there's also a great insert/booklet that profiles all of the heroes and enemies in that season along with descriptions for every episode. This is easily one of the best boxsets I've ever seen.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']DO NOT BUY HALO LEGENDS. IT SUCKS. From the terrible voice acting, poor stories, and bad pacing you'll have a wild ride through a wasted 20 bucks watching Halo Legends! My friends hated it a lot and blamed me for wasting their time but putting it on. Halo Legends ruined my life!

Ok I'm being dramatic, but seriously don't bother. I'm really let down because I'm such a big fan of Halo 3/ODST too.[/QUOTE]

I honestly didn't think it was that bad. I'd say 4/9 shorts were good, which isn't the BEST ratio, but when you're a Halo fan like me, that's good enough.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']The new Dragon Ball S1 boxset is awesome. Not only is there a play all option, but they also offer a Marathon feature that takes the intro/outros out of all of the episodes and lets you watch all of the episodes without interruption. Adding to that, there's also a great insert/booklet that profiles all of the heroes and enemies in that season along with descriptions for every episode. This is easily one of the best boxsets I've ever seen.[/QUOTE]
I'm watching Dragon Ball S1 too, but I didn't get the boxset, just netflixed it. I had forgotten how much pervy humor Dragon Ball has... this is great. Goku keeps cup-checking people to see if they are a boy or a girl, lol. I may buy the boxset when I return these discs back to netflix.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='the_punisher']I honestly didn't think it was that bad. I'd say 4/9 shorts were good, which isn't the BEST ratio, but when you're a Halo fan like me, that's good enough.[/QUOTE]

i think you're being far too kind. i would say 0/9 were good. 3/9 were ok.
i say this as a pretty hardcore halo fan. i still play h3 every week.

in other news baccano has been dope so far. i'm excited to watch each new episode and really love where things are going. it's really unconventional and i'd hold it up for anyone that thinks anime is just robots, lasers, and big tittays.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']i think you're being far too kind. i would say 0/9 were good. 3/9 were ok.
i say this as a pretty hardcore halo fan. i still play h3 every week.

in other news baccano has been dope so far. i'm excited to watch each new episode and really love where things are going. it's really unconventional and i'd hold it up for anyone that thinks anime is just robots, lasers, and big tittays.[/QUOTE]

Alright, maybe that's a little better, but it was still worth watching once.

Baccano!, on the other hand, is legitimately good, so enjoy that. The same person that wrote that also wrote Durarara!!, so i think i might watch that soon.

Also, just finished Skull Man. WHAT. THE. fuck. So many open ended questions, things left unanswered...i'm confused, but it was still pretty good, certainly not one of Bones' best though.

I finished watching Evangelion 1.11 this past weekend. It's fantastic, and it's fantastic for the same reasons that the TV series is fantastic. Evangelion 1.11 covers the first six episodes of the TV series, and it has a few differences from the TV series. The Angels' designations have increased by one, so Sachiel is now the Fourth Angel instead of the Third Angel, and so forth — at least so far. The end of the fight with Shamshel, the Fifth Angel, was changed, and I would assume that it was to move the story along quicker. Another change is that the fight with Ramiel, the Sixth Angel, was changed, and I think it was changed for the better; it functions as the climax of the movie, and it works beautifully. The biggest change was that
Kaworu
showed up at the end of the movie, and I am excited to see how
Kaworu
will fit into the story this early. The movie ends with a preview for Evangelion 2.0, and it looks even better than Evangelion 1.11; there are going to be major changes to the story, and I can't wait to see how they play out, but I am most looking forward to seeing Asuka in action again. Asuka rules! Oh, and I watched the Blu-ray version, and it looked spectacular. I definitely recommend everyone pick it up on Blu-ray.

I also finished watching Tears to Tiara. I enjoyed it quite a lot. At first I thought that it shared a lot of similarities to Utawarerumono — it should be expected since they are based on visual novels by the same developer, and they are both produced by the same animation company — however, Tears to Tiara is quite different and stands on its own. I think Tears to Tiara's story is its strongest aspect. It's not really anything new per se, but that's not why it's so good. Tears to Tiara's story is an amalgamation of European history and culture that includes the Greek civilization, the Roman Empire, various aspects of medieval Europe, a variety of myths and legends, and religion such as Christianity. None of these things are relatively new and/or interesting on their own, but Tears to Tiara weaves all of these aspects together into one coherent, original, and enjoyable story. Another thing that I enjoyed is that most of the main characters developed and changed over the course of the show; it's great to see how the characters react to certain events, and how those same events shape these characters in different ways — even some of the secondary characters evolve during the short time they have on-screen. Arthur and Arawn, the two central characters, had the most development, and they are great characters, but I loved the whole cast, so it's hard to pick favorites when each character is special in their own way. Also, Tears to Tiara has some comic relief moments, and they worked every time; the characters can be quite fun — my favorite fun character being Morgan. I understand that on the surface this show seems like some generic fantasy-action anime, but you really need to watch more than the first few episodes to start seeing how the story fits together and how the characters start to develop. Merely judging Tears to Tiara on its first few episodes is a disservice to the show.

[quote name='Razzuel']I finished watching Evangelion 1.11 this past weekend. It's fantastic, and it's fantastic
for the same reasons that the TV series is fantastic. Evangelion 1.11 covers the first six episodes of the TV series, and it has a few differences from the TV series. The Angels' designations have increased by one, so Sachiel is now the Fourth Angel instead of the Third Angel, and so forth — at least so far. The end of the fight with Shamshel, the Fifth Angel, was changed, and I would assume that it was to move the story along quicker. Another change is that the fight with Ramiel, the Sixth Angel, was changed, and I think it was changed for the better; it functions as the climax of the movie, and it works beautifully. The biggest change was that
Kaworu
showed up at the end of the movie, and I am excited to see how
Kaworu
will fit into the story this early. The movie ends with a preview for Evangelion 2.0, and it looks even better than Evangelion 1.11; there are going to be major changes to the story, and I can't wait to see how they play out, but I am most looking forward to seeing Asuka in action again. Asuka rules! Oh, and I watched the Blu-ray version, and it looked spectacular. I definitely recommend everyone pick it up on Blu-ray.

I also finished watching Tears to Tiara.
I enjoyed it quite a lot.
At first I thought that it shared a lot of similarities to Utawarerumono — it should be expected since they are based on visual novels by the same developer, and they are both produced by the same animation company — however, Tears to Tiara is quite different and stands on its own. I think Tears to Tiara's story is its strongest aspect. It's not really anything new per se, but that's not why it's so good. Tears to Tiara's story is an amalgamation of European history and culture that includes the Greek civilization, the Roman Empire, various aspects of medieval Europe, a variety of myths and legends, and religion such as Christianity. None of these things are relatively new and/or interesting on their own, but Tears to Tiara weaves all of these aspects together into one coherent, original, and enjoyable story. Another thing that I enjoyed is that most of the main characters developed and changed over the course of the show; it's great to see how the characters react to certain events, and how those same events shape these characters in different ways — even some of the secondary characters evolve during the short time they have on-screen. Arthur and Arawn, the two central characters, had the most development, and they are great characters, but I loved the whole cast, so it's hard to pick favorites when each character is special in their own way. Also, Tears to Tiara has some comic relief moments, and they worked every time; the characters can be quite fun — my favorite fun character being Morgan. I understand that on the surface this show seems like some generic fantasy-action anime, but you really need to watch more than the first few episodes to start seeing how the story fits together and how the characters start to develop. Merely judging Tears to Tiara on its first few episodes is a disservice to the show.
[/QUOTE]

But really, Evangelion looks amazing and i really want to watch it, but i feel like i want all four movies to be out before i buy them so i can watch all four at once.

[quote name='the_punisher']But really, Evangelion looks amazing and i really want to watch it, but i feel like i want all four movies to be out before i buy them so i can watch all four at once.[/QUOTE]

I strongly advise against that. You are going to be waiting a very, very long time before all of the movies are out at the same time. Just watch each movie as they come out, or re-watch the previous movies again when a new movie is released.

I've been waiting for 1.11 instead of watching 1.01, but waiting for all of them would take way too long.

Just a few more days to go :)

[quote name='pete5883']I feel like waiting for them all is better, because otherwise you're left hanging and wanting for like 6 years.[/QUOTE]
You could just end up burning yourself out on it then.

[quote name='the_punisher']But really, Evangelion looks amazing and i really want to watch it, but i feel like i want all four movies to be out before i buy them so i can watch all four at once.[/QUOTE]

Have you at least watched the TV series and End of Evangelion? There's no reason to hold off on those.

I think I'm in the "wait for all four" boat as well. I attempted to watch 1.01 way back when it first came out in Japan, but I got kinda bored with it and stopped half way through.

[quote name='lilman']I'm watching Dragon Ball S1 too, but I didn't get the boxset, just netflixed it. I had forgotten how much pervy humor Dragon Ball has... this is great. Goku keeps cup-checking people to see if they are a boy or a girl, lol. I may buy the boxset when I return these discs back to netflix.[/QUOTE]
Sure, but those were his three best years in his entire career with about ~5,000 yards all together, about half of his career total. AP could easily be the best back in the league if he fixed that, which he really needs to do now that he doesn't have Chester Taylor to take over in big drives.

bread's done
Back