Anime and Manga Thread Vol. 1: Visions of a God

I just finished watching Beck. It was great. The music in the show is awesome, which helps since that is the whole point of the show. I'm not that into Chiba's singing voice; I prefer Yukio's singing voice. However, I think Chiba's singing voice is starting to grow on me.

Some things disappointed me though. There were some still frame scenes that went on too long; I would think that showing the action taking place instead of a still frame would be more meaningful and impactful—I would of enjoyed it more if they did that. My other complaint is that there wasn't enough Maho. I wanted to see more Maho and her relationship with Yukio.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Gurren Lagann was superb. Those of you who hated it, have you seen GaoGaiGar, and if so did you like it?[/QUOTE]

i didn't hate it. i thought it had potential but squandered it and went nowhere. then i stopped watching.

GGG was good for a laugh, but not something I could watch for any length of time.

This pains me a little to say it, but... Razzuel was right, Kurau is pretty damn good. The show's excellent, well-developed characters made it a joy to watch.

[quote name='rickshankshaw']Hajime No Ippo is amazing. Read the entire manga. Highly recommended.

What should I read next?[/QUOTE]

Boxing? Ashita no Joe

[quote name='rickshankshaw']Hajime No Ippo is amazing. Read the entire manga. Highly recommended.

What should I read next?[/QUOTE]

Nausicaa! Monster! 20th Century Boys! Evangelion! Yotsuba&!!

I forgot all about Andrew W.K. doing that cover Gundam album until I saw someone posted a video of the op/ed on animevice... I kind of want to import it now.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']This pains me a little to say it, but... Razzuel was right, Kurau is pretty damn good. The show's excellent, well-developed characters made it a joy to watch.[/QUOTE]

Hee hee! Yay!

Hearing you say that is extremely elating. I am really glad you enjoyed it, and I hope other people have a similar experience when they watch it. Thank you.

I'm almost done with the 1st Ippo series (in the 60's out of 75 I think). The fun of watching it spilled over into me grabbing Fight Night Round 4 and working my left hook.

Having actually trained in MMA/BJJ/Muy Thai/Boxing I can say Ippo is really far fetched in a lot of ways, but can be pretty fun to watch. I really would like to play that PSP game that has him and Takamura in it.

So I just had a disappointing moment just now. And I'm sure a bunch of you are going to say "Yeah, I knew that..."

I had to order a college textbook and there were some rediculously cheap on the Amazon Marketplace. So I got it then I started thinking.... I could probably buy some manga from the same seller, get it pretty cheap, and I'd probably save on shipping on it all. So at first I was just going to get the rest of Evangelion: Angelic Days, since I really liked the first one but am having trouble finding the rest. Eventually it grew from that, to deciding to get the whole Cromartie High School series minus the last one, to getting the rest of Chrono Crusade, and topping it off with Shin Megami Tensei Kahn v2 (I DON'T CARE IF I SUCKS! I NEED IT!!!). Oh yeah, and I wanted Peacemaker Kurogane 4 and 5 but apparantly they still haven't been printed yet. Anyway.... subtotal... roughly $20. Add shipping and handling... $100. :whistle2:? It wasn't really a bad deal since everything averaged about $4-5 or so, but I was definitely expecting some sort of onebigassshipment discount on S/H. Instead, all the products have individual shipping.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='GuilewasNK']I decided to watch volume one of Le Chevalier D'Eon last night (got the complete set from Rightstuf). So far I am REALLY liking it.[/QUOTE]

Yay! :D

Alright, Kirin, you should probably stop reading here because I am going to talk about that that shall not be named. :p

I finished watching Shuffle last night. I thought it was fantastic; it is definitely my type of show. It's a fairly perverted harem anime, which is one of the reasons why I enjoyed it; however, that enjoyment is not superficial because the perverted harem-ness is really well done. Also, the show just gets better as time goes on.

Shuffle ending spoilers:
One of the greatest things about Shuffle is that it shattered my expectations of how I thought the end was going to play out. For over half of the show I was expecting Rin and Kaede to get together; Rin and Kaede getting together would be the typical outcome since it would stay true to the childhood friend cliche. However, the ending was entirely atypical: Rin ended up getting together with Asa, which is actually how I wanted things to end up.

Oh, Asa was awesome; she was definitely my favorite character. Also, Monica Rial voices Asa, and Monica Rial is amazing!

[quote name='Razzuel']Alright, Kirin, you should probably stop reading here because I am going to talk about that that shall not be named. :p

I finished watching Shuffle last night. I thought it was fantastic; it is definitely my type of show. It's a fairly perverted harem anime, which is one of the reasons why I enjoyed it; however, that enjoyment is not superficial because the perverted harem-ness is really well done. Also, the show just gets better as time goes on.

Shuffle ending spoilers:
One of the greatest things about Shuffle is that it shattered my expectations of how I thought the end was going to play out. For over half of the show I was expecting Rin and Kaede to get together; Rin and Kaede getting together would be the typical outcome since it would stay true to the childhood friend cliche. However, the ending was entirely atypical: Rin ended up getting together with Asa, which is actually how I wanted things to end up.

Oh, Asa was awesome; she was definitely my favorite character. Also, Monica Rial voices Asa, and Monica Rial is amazing![/QUOTE]

Pretty much how I felt about it. I thought a lot of it was pretty cheesy/silly/stupid, but it did get much better as it went along. Also, (in response to your spoiler):
The ending was pretty much perfect. Asa was my favorite too, and I never expected that Rin would actually end up with her. I would have thought the show was pretty lame and just mindless perverted-ness if it weren't for the last few episodes.

well I finished up Hajime No Ippo and was kinda surprised to see it just...not really end?

champion road does a better job of making you feel fulfilled at the end.

i still haven't watched OVA 2 yet, but i'll hit that before moving on to the new challenger series.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']well I finished up Hajime No Ippo and was kinda surprised to see it just...not really end?

champion road does a better job of making you feel fulfilled at the end.

i still haven't watched OVA 2 yet, but i'll hit that before moving on to the new challenger series.[/QUOTE]

Just jump onto the manga.

Anyone checked out The Drifting Classroom?

I just tried out disk one of Kaleido Star, and it hooked me. Likable, cute characters (if a bit generic so far), fun scenery and art, and a good setting. Is there any reason I shouldn't get both seasons while they're on sale for $54?

I also watched Comic Party. It was pretty bad. There was no depth at all. Everything seemed like it was cut and pasted from anime stereotypes, and boring ones at that. It didn't seem to have much actual comedy, just the "wacky" characters interacting, at which point they cued up the slapstick music. Oh well, that's what I get for placing a random order. (I just thought it sounded kind of like Genshiken, and it was on sale for cheap)

[quote name='crumrin114']I just tried out disk one of Kaleido Star, and it hooked me. Likable, cute characters (if a bit generic so far), fun scenery and art, and a good setting. Is there any reason I shouldn't get both seasons while they're on sale for $54?[/QUOTE]

Kaleido Star is quite enjoyable, and I would definitely encourage you to pick it up. Season two takes a slight dip in quality, but it's still good. The singles for season two are all $4 each at RightStuf, by the way.

[quote name='crumrin114']I also watched Comic Party. It was pretty bad. There was no depth at all. Everything seemed like it was cut and pasted from anime stereotypes, and boring ones at that. It didn't seem to have much actual comedy, just the "wacky" characters interacting, at which point they cued up the slapstick music. Oh well, that's what I get for placing a random order. (I just thought it sounded kind of like Genshiken, and it was on sale for cheap)[/QUOTE]

I completely agree with your assessment of Comic Party. It's stupid fluff, and nowhere near the quality of Genshiken.

Gankutsuou complete set is on sale for $26.99 at Rightstuf (via their weekly sale). I'm probably going to wait until Monday to see what the next sale will be before I order though.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Gankutsuou complete set is on sale for $26.99 at Rightstuf (via their weekly sale). I'm probably going to wait until Monday to see what the next sale will be before I order though.[/QUOTE]

Nobody should pass up Gankutsuou at that price.

Also, I just finished disc one of Fafner. Holy god, was it ever generic and boring.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Kaleido Star is quite enjoyable, and I would definitely encourage you to pick it up. Season two takes a slight dip in quality, but it's still good. The singles for season two are all $4 each at RightStuf, by the way.
[/QUOTE]
Thanks. I don't think I'll find the rest of season one (legit & new) for less than $30 real soon, so I'd rather have less plastic, as long as I get the same episodes.

After putting it off for at least 8 months, I finally started 20th Century Boys and got all the way up to chapter 80 in one sitting.

I have a ton of questions and of course, seeing that I still have 170 chapters to go is somewhat torture, but I think I want to spoil myself about one thing. All I need is a yes or no response.

Is Kenji still alive after Bloody New Years Eve?

I would look it up on Wiki, but I usually get too tempted and would probably end up just reading the synopsis for the rest of the series. If its anything like Monster (Roberto surprise return!!!) i'd imagine there will be plenty of jawdrop surprise moments to come.

[quote name='crumrin114']Thanks. I don't think I'll find the rest of season one (legit & new) for less than $30 real soon, so I'd rather have less plastic, as long as I get the same episodes.[/QUOTE]

The singles have extras that aren't included with the thinpak, if that matters to you. I'd probably get the thinpak for season one, and then the singles for season two.

I finished watching Mushi-shi today. It is phenomenal. Each episode is its own self contained story, which was really well done. Some of the stories were depressing and others were uplifting. Each of the episodes is connected through the main character, Ginko, who is a traveling Mushi master. Ginko's a really awesome character; I want to see more of his adventures, so I think I am probably going to eventually read the manga.

Mushi-shi is really unique; I haven't seen another show that has a mellow aura about it like Mushi-shi does. Also, the idea of Mushi and all of the different types there are is a really compelling idea; some of the species are insane! It is definitely required watching.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']I've read the first couple volumes, and really enjoyed it.[/QUOTE]

I read the first few of volumes. It really, really plays out like The Mist X Lost X The Forbidden Planet. In a good way.

[quote name='Razzuel']I finished watching Mushi-shi today. It is phenomenal. Each episode is its own self contained story, which was really well done. Some of the stories were depressing and others were uplifting. Each of the episodes is connected through the main character, Ginko, who is a traveling Mushi master. Ginko's a really awesome character; I want to see more of his adventures, so I think I am probably going to eventually read the manga.

Mushi-shi is really unique; I haven't seen another show that has a mellow aura about it like Mushi-shi does. Also, the idea of Mushi and all of the different types there are is a really compelling idea; some of the species are insane! It is definitely required watching.[/QUOTE]

I agree with all of this. Mushi-shi should be required viewing.

The Time of Eve finale premiered, and it was a very good conclusion to an overrated series. It's not that it was bad, but it wasn't all that great either. More of a time-killing OVA. I'm getting a little bored with Pumpkin Scissors, it doesn't seem to go in any meaningful direction. I'm thinking of abandoning it for Flag, but we'll see.

[quote name='the_punisher']I'm getting a little bored with Pumpkin Scissors, it doesn't seem to go in any meaningful direction. I'm thinking of abandoning it for Flag, but we'll see.[/QUOTE]

I tried to warn you! But at least FLAG is great.

Just finished watching the Read or Die OVA considering it was the only thing on Netflix that I felt like watching. It was better than I expected it to be. I'm considering going past it and checking out the series.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']I tried to warn you! But at least FLAG is great.[/QUOTE]

I've been wanting to see this due to it's documentary like style. May have to make it the next thing on my list.

[quote name='Indignate']Just finished watching the Read or Die OVA considering it was the only thing on Netflix that I felt like watching. It was better than I expected it to be. I'm considering going past it and checking out the series.[/QUOTE]

I really like the OVA, but I absolutely *love* the TV series. It has some of the most enjoyable characters of any anime I've ever seen.

Also, buy Princess Tutu. Seriously. Do it.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']I really like the OVA, but I absolutely *love* the TV series. It has some of the most enjoyable characters of any anime I've ever seen.

Also, buy Princess Tutu. Seriously. Do it.[/QUOTE]

I really liked the music for both series. I can still recall the main theme in my head if I want to.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']Ninja Scroll is on tonight at 9PM on the Chiller channel.[/QUOTE]

It's so bad it'll make your eyes bleed!

[quote name='rickshankshaw']I really liked the music for both series. I can still recall the main theme in my head if I want to.[/QUOTE]

Totally agreed. Anime soundtracks don't come much better.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']I really like the OVA, but I absolutely *love* the TV series. It has some of the most enjoyable characters of any anime I've ever seen.

Also, buy Princess Tutu. Seriously. Do it.[/QUOTE]

Thinking about it. It seems to come highly recommened from four people here...and I'll be damn if I don't take that as the general consensus ;).

[quote name='Indignate']Thinking about it. It seems to come highly recommened from four people here...and I'll be damn if I don't take that as the general consensus ;).[/QUOTE]

If we're not good enough for you, check out the absolutely *glowing* reviews at ANN, AnimeOnDVD, and AniDB.

Tutu is my third-favorite anime of all time, and for good reason.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']If we're not good enough for you, check out the absolutely *glowing* reviews at ANN, AnimeOnDVD, and AniDB.

Tutu is my third-favorite anime of all time, and for good reason.[/QUOTE]

If anything the people here are more-so then those who write reviews. So ya, I'm biting the bullet based on the recommendations here.

I'm also picking up Gankutsuou, since I hear good things about it as well.

[quote name='Indignate']If anything the people here are more-so then those who write reviews. So ya, I'm biting the bullet based on the recommendations here.

I'm also picking up Gankutsuou, since I hear good things about it as well.[/QUOTE]

Both of those are fantastic choices. You've done a great thing this day! :applause:

[quote name='62t']sucks that the creator of Shin Chan is dead :([/QUOTE]

Just heard about it today. Although I wasn't a fan of his work, my friends' kids were and when they also heard the news, it broke my heart to see them cry. =(

bread's done
Back