Anime and Manga Thread Vol. 1: Visions of a God

[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']It was terrible. Everyone was either retarded or a douchebag. The Persona panel was full of holier-than-thou assholes. The live-action Mario Party was full of retards. There was supposed to be free video gaming all day in the video game room, but I guess you had to get there early, because they wouldn't let anyone play.

It took up the first two floors of the hotel. It was way too big for it's own good.[/QUOTE]

Yup, sounds like pretty much every anime con I've ever been to.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Yup, sounds like pretty much every anime con I've ever been to.[/QUOTE]

It might have been more fun if more of my friends would have gone. It was just me and my brother, and we're both fairly quiet people. We didn't really know what we were getting ourselves into.

If we go at all next year, we'll be better prepared.

I think I'm going to go to a convention with some of the anime club members, either this November or sometime early next year.. I'll be honest, most real-life anime nerds that I've run into (ie. everyone at my college's anime club, except for maybe 1 or 2 people) aren't really my type of crowd. Crazy peeps. I can definitely relate to Chairman_LMAO's description of them. Not sure how much fun it will be for me, but I guess I'll find out...

Oh my fucking God! Holy shit! Lain is going to be released on Blu-ray in Japan on December 23. It is going to have both the English language and Japanese language tracks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh my God! That is insane! I must have it! I will have it! I cannot be stopped! Hahahahahahahaha!

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=GNXA-1001

Even though this is through the lens of a video camera, it looks better than some of the stuff I own on DVD and Blu-ray. I cannot believe how good it looks. My mind has just been blown a second time. This is truly phenomenal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2BqBpJcHQ0&feature=related&fmt=18

I am buying this as a Christmas present to myself. Haha, oh what a magnificent Christmas present it will be!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Bezerker']Welcome to August Razzuel, lol.

I'd probably buy it myself, but I am waaayyyy too jewish to pay R2 prices.[/QUOTE]

Damn, I didn't know I was so late. Someone should of said something sooner. :p

Well, I finished the Fullmetal Alchemist anime. It was pretty damn awesome. However, I don't like the ending; I thought it was quite stupid. There were some other things that bothered me as well, but those should probably be tagged.

Miscellaneous Fullmetal Alchemist spoilers:
I don't know what it is about this particular time, but for some reason some of the everything-going-the-wrong-way stuff irked me. Also, their desire to constantly bring back characters after they "died," vanished or whatever, frustrated me because it usually felt sloppy and silly.

I guess I should talk about some good things as well. There were a lot of characters that I really liked—Winry, probably being my favorite. That scene in the third closing of the show where she is helping her dog type is so cute! It always put a smile on my face when I saw it.

The show had a good number of moments of brilliance. I think some of the most powerful episodes were Nina's transmutation and Ed's confrontation with Barry the Chopper.

The Conqueror of Shambala gets released on Blu-ray soon. I plan on picking it up then and watching it. I doubt it will be able to satisfyingly fix the stupid mess of an ending though.

[quote name='Liquid 2']Shambala sucked.

Just read the FMA manga; it shits all over the show.[/QUOTE]

Don't listen to him. Shamballa ties the story up nicely and i consider that the true FMA end because i honestly didn't like the ending of the TV series either. The movie is the true conclusion.

And you're guna pay almost $300 just for Lain on Blu-Ray?

You're an idiot....

[quote name='Liquid 2']Shambala sucked.

Just read the FMA manga; it shits all over the show.[/QUOTE]

That's my plan.

[quote name='the_punisher']Don't listen to him. Shamballa ties the story up nicely and i consider that the true FMA end because i honestly didn't like the ending of the TV series either. The movie is the true conclusion.

And you're guna pay almost $300 just for Lain on Blu-Ray?

You're an idiot....[/QUOTE]

It may tie up the story nicely, but that doesn't mean their direction was any less awful—
the "real" world beyond the gate was so stupid.

Yeah, 300 dollars is a lot of money, but I would rather have it than not have it, so in my perspective it is completely justified—I won't be disappointed.

Shamballa was decent at best. The only good thing that came out of it was the Chibi wrap up party(Which isn't even on the disc).

[quote name='Razzuel']It may tie up the story nicely, but that doesn't mean their direction was any less awful—
the "real" world beyond the gate was so stupid.
[/QUOTE]
If you hated that so much then you'll probably want to skip this.

I remember my first anime con, in 1996. It was good time sand I wound up going to another 5-10. Then I didn't got for years until my wife wanted to go to one last year. It sucked pretty hard in comparison to the fansub fests that things used to be.

I'm still pushing myself through Princess Tutu. I can only really watch 2-3 eps at a time before I need a break so it's gonna take me awhile to finish, especially with Dragon Age Origins being so amazing. I keep waiting for the amazing to happen, and hopefully it's not too much longer.

I'm a little sad. The final volume of the Flame of Recca manga arrived today, and I read it right up. It feels like the end of an era. I watched the Recca anime way back in 2000-2001 and it became my favorite action anime. Then they started releasing the manga in 2003, and I got every volume near the time it was released for 6 years. Good times.

wow...i remember watching that in the late 90's with a big group of friends. we'd get together every week and watch 4 eps off of a fansub tape i had. i can't believe the manga just finished.

i'm surprised they never made a second series like they did with ippo or something.

I finished Hyakko last night. Overall, it was a really great show. There are a ton of characters and they are all awesome; also, each character eventually gets explored, which is great! Other great things about the show are the numerous moments of hilariousness and the music.

Hyakko spoilers:
I forget which episode it occurs on, but one of the episodes contains a fake preview for the next episode. The preview is in a serious and dark tone, but it is completely over the top; it's one of the funniest moments of the series.

Speaking of Recca, I bought the first 2 DVDs since this bookstore around here has the series rediculously cheap. So I figured try it out... I haven't even openned them yet.

I know I've asked this question before, so I hope I'm not annoying you all with it. But anyone know if there are any plans for Code Geass to be released on blu ray? If it's coming out on blu ray then I'll hold out for it.

I just finished watching Natsu no Arashi. It was pretty damn awesome. The show excelled at its time travel scenarios, jokes, and music. There is some drama interspersed throughout the show; the drama near the end of the show worked, but there was a time or two in the early episodes where I felt indifferent. I definitely recommend it to anyone who likes time travel or if you are looking for some great laughs.

I'm giving this thread a bump because Razzuel wants to talk about Doujin Work and Perfect Blue, but he doesn't want to double-post, even though it's been over four days.

Anyone watched the new Halo anime? I heard it wasn't completely terrible.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']I'm giving this thread a bump because Razzuel wants to talk about Doujin Work and Perfect Blue, but he doesn't want to double-post, even though it's been over four days.[/QUOTE]
:lol:. Razzuel, you don't need to worry about stuff like that here. No one is going to get on you for posting twice in a row, haha.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']I'm giving this thread a bump because Razzuel wants to talk about Doujin Work and Perfect Blue, but he doesn't want to double-post, even though it's been over four days.[/QUOTE]

Heh, thanks for that.

So, yeah. Right Stuf finally received their shipment of Doujin Work volume four a couple weeks ago, and I received it not too long after that. It was a long, long wait after reading volume three, but it was so worth it. Volume four is the best one yet. The perverted humor is at its best and funniest in this volume; plus there's some great story and character development—some of which was kind of shocking:
Najimi dropped out of school to work on doujinshi
! My only problem is that Mediablasters has yet to announce the release dates for the final two volumes of Doujin Work. They better release them eventually or I am going to be quite displeased.

Also, I watched Perfect Blue last night. It's now my favorite Satoshi Kon movie; I thought it was a masterpiece. The movie was disturbing, surreal, and thrilling. Some of the scenes were even hard to watch.

Perfect Blue spoiler-ific thoughts:
Even though the movie is animated and even though the rape scene was for a scene in a TV show, it was still disturbing. I was very uncomfortable during that scene.

All of the parts where the movie blends reality and dreams evoked surrealism in me; I even think that Perfect Blue is better at evoking surrealism than Paprika. Also, I loved how Mima's gradual mental breakdown was portrayed.

Some of the thrilling stuff was when Rumi murdered the photographer; that was hard to watch as well—it was quite disturbing. Another thrilling scene was Rumi and Mima's confrontation and chase at the end of the movie.

After watching Perfect Blue, I started thinking about how I want more animated adult themed movies. It seems that the amount of animated films is severely lacking when it comes to having adult themes, such as those in Perfect Blue.

Watched the first episode of the Halo anime on saturday while it was up at Halo Waypoint. It was much better than I thought it would be. If every episode is at least as good as that one, I'll be getting the DVD.

Question: anyone know anything about Gundam Wing on DVD? Was going to buy the complete collection from Amazon, but the many, many reviews talking about warped discs scared me off. Has anyone bought it, or know of another way to get it on DVD?

[quote name='Razzuel']After watching Perfect Blue, I started thinking about how I want more animated adult themed movies. It seems that the amount of animated films is severely lacking when it comes to having adult themes, such as those in Perfect Blue.[/QUOTE]

I don't think there's any lack of anime films produced primarily for an adult audience, but very few approach the level of sophistication and maturity of Perfect Blue. Most of Satoshi Kon's stuff is pretty great, though, with Perfect Blue being my absolute favorite.

[quote name='poison_SHADOW']Question: anyone know anything about Gundam Wing on DVD? Was going to buy the complete collection from Amazon, but the many, many reviews talking about warped discs scared me off. Has anyone bought it, or know of another way to get it on DVD?[/QUOTE]

I never encountered any problems with my two Anime Legends collections.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']I don't think there's any lack of anime films produced primarily for an adult audience, but very few approach the level of sophistication and maturity of Perfect Blue. Most of Satoshi Kon's stuff is pretty great, though, with Perfect Blue being my absolute favorite.[/QUOTE]

That's what I meant; I probably should of said it more explicitly. I know there are other animated films and TV shows with adult themes, but—as you said—only a few approach Perfect Blue's level of sophistication and maturity.

still i grind away through princess tutu.

it's like...the story isn't bad or anything....i wish they would just get to the point quicker.

[quote name='Wolfkin']dude Lain wasn't that bad.[/QUOTE]

I don't have any disdain for the series. But I was thankful it was over after 13 episodes.

The imagery was cool but that was about it. It was like Iblard Jikan. You can appreciate the pretty visuals but you had to make up your own story as you went along.

[quote name='pete5883']I haven't liked anything I've seen of Satoshi Kon's since Perfect Blue. I've seen Paprika and Paranoia Agent, is there any more?[/QUOTE]
Perfect Blue is the only work of his I enjoyed...

[quote name='pete5883']I haven't liked anything I've seen of Satoshi Kon's since Perfect Blue. I've seen Paprika and Paranoia Agent, is there any more?[/QUOTE]

Tokyo Godfathers is *fantastic*.

hmm maybe I'm thinking of something else. oh well not like it matter if I ever get time to acquire and watch some anime I'll add it to my list. I've heard a bunch of people talking about it lately for some odd reason.

can sauske use that sword orochimaru was always pulling out of his mouth? and if so how come he never uses it wasnt it special or smething?

There's a free episode of Full Metal Alchemist on PSN, which is the episode with
a flashback about their teacher as she finds them in the present and then there's the bit about the dead cat and her kittens.
It's odd that they pick an episode that is midway through the series.

I got back into One Piece and finished up to episode 200 (
they landed in the middle of a Marine-controlled island after leaving Sky Island and they're slowly getting together so they can get to their ship and escape
). I'm looking forward to seeing more, though I tend to watch it in spurts and then ignore it for months, so I don't know when I'll continue from where I left off.

Another movie directed by Satoshi Kon is Millenium Actress. Also, Satoshi Kon wrote the script for Magnetic Rose, which is more of me mentioning its name rather than me trying to find stuff connected to Satoshi Kon.

Millienium Actress is good, but Magnetic Rose is phenomenal.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']There's a free episode of Full Metal Alchemist on PSN, which is the episode with
a flashback about their teacher as she finds them in the present and then there's the bit about the dead cat and her kittens.
It's odd that they pick an episode that is midway through the series.

I got back into One Piece and finished up to episode 200 (
they landed in the middle of a Marine-controlled island after leaving Sky Island and they're slowly getting together so they can get to their ship and escape
). I'm looking forward to seeing more, though I tend to watch it in spurts and then ignore it for months, so I don't know when I'll continue from where I left off.[/QUOTE]
dude i totally get that. I've been taking a leave of Naruto (manga) since... hm.. I don't even remember it's been that long. Ever few weeks I debate with myself two things 1) should I pick up Naruto again and 2) I wonder if the Anime has caught up to where I left off in the Manga. I actually gave up on the anime after i think 150 eps or so. Ever since I heard it's ending I've been thinking about picking up One Piece but again I'm just really lazy to do it.

Perfect Blue was really awesome. It's always my go-to example of anime not being just for kids.

At ep 200 you're still a ways of from my absolute favorite part of One Piece so you've got some good stuff to look forward to. Unlike Naruto or Bleach, One Piece has never really disappointed me.

I'm audiobooking Lamb by Christopher Moore. There's an angel named Razzuel in it that loves soap operas. I always think of this thread when they mention him.

Is Blood+ any good?

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']Is Blood+ any good?[/QUOTE]

Mostly average, but I enjoyed watching it once. In any case, it's far better than the horrible Blood: The Last Vampire movie.

Perfect Blue is great. Paprika was ok, enjoyed the music and visuals.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Mostly average, but I enjoyed watching it once. In any case, it's far better than the horrible Blood: The Last Vampire movie.[/QUOTE]

Gotta disagree. Blood: The Last Vampire is awesome by its sheer virtue of action brilliance. Story was bad, but you won't care when the slashing commences. Blood+ is watchable, but just barely. It's charming at first but starts dragging big time.

Millennium Actress is Satoshi Kon's best work. Perfect Blue is a close second.
Paprika is awesome, but I wish it hadn't turned into Paranoia Agent (which is also fantastic) at the end.
Tokyo Godfathers was good, but not nearly the caliber of his other works.

----

On a totally different note, is anyone here a fan of Yoshihiro Tatsumi? He's one of the pioneers of Japanese comics, and his work is incredible. Much, much different than manga today.

just about 1 more session or so of Princess TuTu to watch. i can't wait for this to be over. it has taken far too long to accomplish too little story-wise.

i am enjoying how fakir is pronounced fuckYEAH with the japanese accent.

i think the only character not worth beating up is perhaps neko-sensei.

i also gave up on the naruto anime for a bit but now it got into some of my fav parts in the manga. Naruto manga is getting really good..

Never gave up on one piece so looking foward to the anime more now since its a great part.. thou one piece is my fav anime/manga series ..

Bleach i gave up on the anime right after his fight with grimmjow if i recall.. but continued to read the manga..might have to go back into the anime for a specific fight..

oh an finally hunter x hunter manga is coming back..

One Piece sounded like the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. However trusted recommendations plus the sheer size of it has me tempted.. verily tempted, to pick it up

getting into one piece is a big commitment. hundreds of episodes lie in wait.
however it is probably one of the most rewarding shonen series ever made, hence its popularity and longevity.

finish tutu last night. shiz finally gets real in the last couple eps, but not enough so that'd recommend it to anyone. i could have written this show's plot into 12 eps and made it really great.

blood+ is probably next up after which time i think i'll be due for another naruto/bleach/one piece/reborn catchup festival.

bread's done
Back