Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh boy, going to send a massive list via email/live chat tomorrow with lots of pre-order updates applying my 10% Got Anime discount. :D/
Just did that with a few things myself lol. Any idea which series have S.A.V.E status without the giant green label on them? I picked up the S.A.V.E edition of Rumbling Hearts and noticed it still came in a hard case without the green border.

I'd like to add that Amazon rarely beats RS when it comes to preorder pricing; whether it's during a studio sale or not. Only after sets have been out for a little while does Amazon get the better pricing on dvds and blu rays.

Manga's kind of a crapshoot between the two. Depending on how early you catch it, Amz might have the book for $3 cheaper or it might never drop below cover price.

I'm going to end up getting Fairy Tail 9, Robotics;Notes 1-2, and the Save edition of Shangri-La. I'm debating about Psycho-Pass, but I'm not sure whether or not I want to spend the extra $15 on the LE.

What's up with Ikki Tousen Dragon Destiny complete set being sold out pretty much everywhere?

I was thinking about possibly picking up seasons 3 & 4 during the funi sale but I'd be missing season 2 and that would drive me crazy ><

Speaking of Gundam, Unicorn is the only English dubbed series that I don't have (I fucking love Gundam... lol). Does anyone have any ideas on how to get them for a more reasonable price? Due to the way they licensed and released these, the prices are basically prohibitive to buying them, so they basically sent them out to die. Also, I only want them on Blu-ray, so the cheaper DVDs are not in my options. ;)
They're worth the $50 per disc IMO. I love every episode so far.

IDK, the way people seemed to rave about RS made me start checking them out but I've been continually disappointed. In particular I've been curious about Wolf Children and it's $3 cheaper on Amazon right now (plus it showed up in my quick picks today for another $1 off). I'm DLing a rip right now to check out the first 30 and if I like what I see, gonna buy it. Normally I'd just blind buy, but I've been getting burned too often lately even when it has glowing reviews.
Let me know what you think of it. My girlfriend really wanted to see it but I was pretty wary. Turned out to be okay, but not worth anything beyond one watch. And even then, I struggled to keep attention. Pretty much a slice-of-life anime with an obvious twist. I thought there were a lot of wasted opportunities throughout the film, though!

Gundam as a whole is my favorite anime ever.
Still not worth $350.
I have the first blu of Unicorn and I can't get myself to order the rest, which is really odd for me. Part of it is that it's still not finished, and that the DVD version is so much cheaper, while getting the rest of the series is pretty much importing the Japanese versions for a premium.

Let me know what you think of it. My girlfriend really wanted to see it but I was pretty wary. Turned out to be okay, but not worth anything beyond one watch. And even then, I struggled to keep attention. Pretty much a slice-of-life anime with an obvious twist. I thought there were a lot of wasted opportunities throughout the film, though!
I decided to pass since I saw where it was going. I got as far as them moving to the country and could tell it wasn't quite for me. What had got me interested was comparisons to Miyazaki films, but I found this one too grounded in reality and less fairytale. It does seem like a quality film and I 'might' be tempted to buy it later if there's a good deal on it but as it stands $18 is too rich for my blood.

You should expect them to milk it for all it is,considering this is Gundam,and they know otaku's will buy them at that price.
Hey! I didn't buy those earlier blu-ray death traps, and I was in a maid cafe a few days ago...hmmm...too much info...

Well played, sir...well played...

Evangelion 3.33 BR for $20.99 at RightStuf. Includes 52-page color booklet. Is this the best price so far?

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/PN0fUPq6IDbhwniPUG/browse/item/100570/4/0/0
Soon as I saw this I pre-ordered, this thread sure is dangerous. Also picked up that s.a.v.e. dvd/bd combo for Cat Planet Cuties someone mentioned, figured for the price it'd be worth it. To top it off I added the first season litebox of Aria finally because why not.

Now if they announce blurays for Aria later in the year I will probably be sad.

Current state of RS shopping cart:

1) Birdy the Mighty (S.A.V.E.) - $17.99

2) Cat Planet Cuties BR+DVD (S.A.V.E.) - $14.99

3) Evangelion 3.33 DVD (I own the other two on DVD, so I'm being consistent) - $17.99

Everyone other than Squarehard (I already know how you'd answer), should I bite?

3) Evangelion 3.33 DVD (I own the other two on DVD, so I'm being consistent) - $17.99

Everyone other than Squarehard (I already know how you'd answer), should I bite?
Get that shit changed to Blu-ray! Consistency is a horrible reason to buy the inferior version of it. These 'movies' are really new--obviously--so there's a large benefit to blu-ray. The audio and video difference is worth it. Hell, upgrade the first two during amazon's next Funi sale.

Since RightStuf/Nozomi doesn't make Blu-rays yet, any Aria release will have to come through Aniplex or any other Japanese company.
I really hope it wouldn't be Aniplex, my wallet has suffered enough. I'd be better off with the dvds if they announced something.

Get that shit changed to Blu-ray! Consistency is a horrible reason to buy the inferior version of it. These 'movies' are really new--obviously--so there's a large benefit to blu-ray. The audio and video difference is worth it. Hell, upgrade the first two during amazon's next Funi sale.
Birdy isn't on Blu-ray and Cat Planet Cuties is combo-pack only.

I may keep my Eva movies consistent as well. DVD packaging with the Blu-rays inside.

Any thoughts on NISA releases in general? My buddy said I should stay away from them as they were expensive/poorly translated/hard coded subs but they have a few of my favorite series lol. 

Also gave in and picked up all 3 Eva BD's ._. and Rumbling Hearts SAVE for the shiggles. 

Any thoughts on NISA releases in general? My buddy said I should stay away from them as they were expensive/poorly translated/hard coded subs but they have a few of my favorite series lol.

Also gave in and picked up all 3 Eva BD's ._. and Rumbling Hearts SAVE for the shiggles.
I can't speak for 3.33's release--obviously--but the BD releases of the first two Eva Rebuilds are just incredibly gorgeous--with fantastic HD surround sound to boot.

Gundam as a whole is my favorite anime ever.

Still not worth $350.
Gotta say, I love Gundam whether it's Universal Century, Wing, 00, etc...but I'm not digging Unicorn. Maybe I need to give it another watch, but at the current high prices I'm not too eager to do so. And I'm one who used to buy VHS anime at extraordinary prices -- though, if I had to, I'd still pay $29.95 per tape for Bubblegum Crisis.

On an unrelated note, anyone looking for a great anime with a vaguely similar feel to Death Note should try Future Diary. I'm nearly half-way through the series and wow. It's one well worth watching/buying. Yuno Gasai has quickly become one of my favorite anime characters.

Gotta say, I love Gundam whether it's Universal Century, Wing, 00, etc...but I'm not digging Unicorn. Maybe I need to give it another watch, but at the current high prices I'm not too eager to do so. And I'm one who used to buy VHS anime at extraordinary prices -- though, if I had to, I'd still pay $29.95 per tape for Bubblegum Crisis.

On an unrelated note, anyone looking for a great anime with a vaguely similar feel to Death Note should try Future Diary. I'm nearly half-way through the series and wow. It's one well worth watching/buying. Yuno Gasai has quickly become one of my favorite anime characters.
I've heard the comparisons to Death Note from others, as well. I'm quite interested to see Future Diary.

Black Lagoon on toonami.... wonder if they are going to censor it.
They are going to at least censor Revy... as I can't imagine them airing repeated F bombs.

In general I am happy Black Lagoon is getting a bit more attention, but I really don't know how it will turn out after you cut it apart to make it safe for TV. I'd love it if they didn't censor the nazi arc and fox news picked up on it though :p

They are going to at least censor Revy... as I can't imagine them airing repeated F bombs.

In general I am happy Black Lagoon is getting a bit more attention, but I really don't know how it will turn out after you cut it apart to make it safe for TV. I'd love it if they didn't censor the nazi arc and fox news picked up on it though :p
Yeah, quite the interesting choice for them due to all of the language. Maybe they will be creative and use some funny sound as the beep. I remember Samurai Champloo's record scratch with most of Mugen's lines on the AS version.

I know Blue Exorcist airs in March and that isn't as language heavy but they have "shits" here and there in the dub.

Does the Eva 2.22 blu-ray come with a slipcover? Just curious if it was going to be consistent with my 1.11 blu-ray since I do leave my slipcovers on.

Does the Eva 2.22 blu-ray come with a slipcover? Just curious if it was going to be consistent with my 1.11 blu-ray since I do leave my slipcovers on.
Mine did, but I bought it a long time ago (April 2011, omg, it's been that long?). I don't know if they still come with slipcovers.

Whelp, my OCD self can just live with it then huh? haha

I have 2.22 and 3.33 as part of my Rightstuf cart currently. As it stands:

Eureka Seven P1 LE/P2
Evangelion 2.22/3.33
Pet Girl of Sakurasou Collection 2

Can't decide if I want anything else or not. I watched Kids on the Slope on CrunchyRoll and it was pretty great, still trying to make my decision on whether or not I want to add that to my collection from Amazon's sale.

I just re-watched Birdy and it made me wonder why more wasn't made. The story is good and it's not like the show doesn't have enough action. Only downside is the animation is inconsistent and in season 2 devolves into road runner leg spinning shit animation. Clearly they ran out of money or had an intern mess with it. For Cat Planet Cuties............it's pretty bad, at least that's how I felt. Never watched Evangelion so I can't talk to that.

just got 1.11 and 2.22 from amazon and 1.11 did and 2.22 did not

i just watched infinite stratos and thought it was pretty good. the interactions of the characters was pretty good.

Mine did, but I don't think they do anymore. Honestly, I could not care less about a slipcover. I had my 2.22 preordered though, so I got it early. Not sure if they provide slipcovers anymore.

Mine did, but I don't think they do anymore. Honestly, I could not care less about a slipcover. I had my 2.22 preordered though, so I got it early. Not sure if they provide slipcovers anymore.
Yeah, it really isn't that big of a deal. I just like them for some odd reason.

Is Robotics;Notes any good? Still browsing Rightstuf for Funimation releases.

bread's done
Back