Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like the other June 2015 releases are also up on their shop although there is nothing on the blog yet. (Summary from Fandompost)

Dub for Ping Pong is pretty cool! Although there is no LE for it. 

It also looks like Amazon has PM'd most of Best Buy's current Sentai sale. Mostly $29.99 sub releases and $34.99 Dub releases.

Bought the Soul Eater DVDs as they were released at like $30 a piece x4, then the BR complete for $21, so I'm done giving them money for this. Coincidentally I finished rewatching this series a few days ago. I love it minus the last 10 minutes :p

Hey guys... random question...

Do you think we will ever see a Blu-ray release of Wolf's Rain in my lifetime. It is one of my favorite animes of all time - and have not seen a single peep about it anywhere online. I assume there are copyright issues with Bandai, no?

The story, the music, the characters - all were so memorable to me. I was dumb enough to sell my DVD box set of them several years back. :(

Should I give up hope?

Credit to Asuras

FUNimation June 2015 Solicitations via FUNimation Website

Fairy Tail Collection Four (Blu-ray / DVD Combo) - 600 minutes - $54.98 - 6/2/15
Nobunagun Complete Series - Limited Edition (Blu-ray / DVD Combo) - 325 minutes - $69.98 - 6/2/15
Nobunagun Complete Series - Standard Edition (Blu-ray / DVD Combo) - 325 minutes - $64.98 - 6/2/15
Wanna be the Strongest in the World! Complete Series - Limited Edition - Limited Edition (Blu-ray / DVD Combo) - 300 minutes - $69.98 - 6/2/15
Wanna be the Strongest in the World! Complete Series - Standard Edition (Blu-ray / DVD Combo) - 300 minutes - $64.98 - 6/2/15

OniAi Complete Series (Blu-ray) (S.A.V.E. Edition) [Repackage] - 300 minutes - $24.98 - 6/9/15
Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE CLAMP Double Feature: Tsubasa and xxxHOLiC Movies (DVD) (S.A.V.E. Edition) [Repackage] - 95 minutes - $9.98 - 6/9/15
The Sacred Blacksmith Complete Series (DVD) (S.A.V.E. Edition) [Repackage] - 300 minutes - $29.98 - 6/9/15

Tokyo Ravens Season One, Part Two (Blu-ray / DVD Combo) - 300 minutes - $64.98 - 6/16/15
Is this a Zombie? of the Dead (Blu-ray) (Anime Classic) - 300 minutes - 6/16/15

Ping Pong the Animation Complete Series  (Blu-ray / DVD Combo) - 275 minutes - $59.98 - 6/23/15
Origin: Spirits of the Past The Movie (Blu-ray) (S.A.V.E. Edition) [Repackage] - 90 minutes - $19.98 - 6/23/15
Origin: Spirits of the Past The Movie (DVD) (S.A.V.E. Edition) [Repackage] - 90 minutes - $14.98 - 6/23/15

Soul Eater Complete Series - Premium Edition (Blu-ray) - 1176 minutes - 6/30/15
Soul Eater Not! Complete Series - Limited Edition (Blu-ray / DVD Combo) - 300 minutes - $69.98 - 6/30/15
Soul Eater Not! Complete Series - Standard Edition (Blu-ray / DVD Combo) - 300 minutes - $64.98 - 6/30/15
BlazBlue: Alter Memory Complete Series (Blu-ray / DVD Combo) - 300 minutes - $64.98 - 6/30/15
.hack//G.U. Trilogy The Movie (DVD) - 94 minutes - $29.98 - 6/30/15

There are actually a few things there that I want. I'm curious what rightstuf's early pre-order price + got anime will end up at.

Oh joy Soul Eater is getting a "Premium Edition".

Something Special is Coming for Soul Eater Superfans

In 2010, we began releasing Soul Eater. It turns out that more than a few of you enjoyed the Cool-with-a-capital-C class of the Death Weapon Meister Academy.

Recently, our team realized that in spite of how popular Soul Eater is and has always been, the show has never received any kind of specialty packaging. As you are probably guessing at this very moment…we’ve decided to change that.

On June 30, 2015—the same day that prequel series Soul Eater Not! goes on sale –we will release Soul Eater in a Blu-ray Premium Edition, exclusively for the series’ superfans. This special release consists of:

- Soul Eater The Complete Series on Blu-ray (51 episode + 80 minutes of on-disc extras)
- A hard-bound Soul Eater “yearbook” featuring 64 pages of glossy, full-color art
- And yes, there are pages where you can have friends—or perhaps your favorite Soul Eater voice actors –sign messages!

This release is not a retailer exclusive, but we are printing a very limited quantity, so we strongly recommend that you preorder it now! Click here.

And don’t forget to buy Soul Eater Not!—the prequel to Soul Eater featuring back stories for some of your favorite characters, and some new classmates we know you’ll love! Click here.

http://www.funimation.com/blog/2015...tm_content=Soul_Eater_PE&utm_nooverride=1

I want a Soul Eater reboot so badly. The "original" last part of the anime cut off the canon material right when it was starting to get really good. 

Also, I got a feeling that Aniplex were probably behind the random premium editions for Darker than Black and now Soul Eater. Both series are fairly old and the only premium editions we've see from Funimation before this were new releases. DTB"s makes sense, SE not as much.

I mean, why release new stuff like eva 3.33/steins;gate movie or those license rescues when you can rerelease shit at 3x the price with an artbook? People buying it will only encourage them.

And yes, i know them doing this probably doesnt inhibit those other projects in a meaningful way, but its still annoying.

I mean, why release new stuff like eva 3.33/steins;gate movie or those license rescues when you can rerelease shit at 3x the price with an artbook? People buying it will only encourage them.

And yes, i know them doing this probably doesnt inhibit those other projects in a meaningful way, but its still annoying.
I 100% agree with this. Tried of this Premium stuff. Just give us LE's in slipboxes and I'll be happy. I would like to see the stuff like you are saying that they have the license for out and not shelved for 5 more years.

Guess Funi didn't think .hack//GU Trilogy was worth dubbing. Too bad, I really wanted to get it. I didn't even care if they had to get yet another voice cast.

I want a Soul Eater reboot so badly. The "original" last part of the anime cut off the canon material right when it was starting to get really good.

Also, I got a feeling that Aniplex were probably behind the random premium editions for Darker than Black and now Soul Eater. Both series are fairly old and the only premium editions we've see from Funimation before this were new releases. DTB"s makes sense, SE not as much.
i bought se complete colection for $25. re-releasing with extra 80 minutes bonus and artbook over $100. i think i pass.

Is Soul Eater Not! any good? I just saw what looks like the cover art on the pre-order page and it looks nothing like Soul Eater...
I've been reading the printed manga since it first came out, and those cover images are very misleading. The second series is more of the same as the first; same kind of humor and such. There's a bit less action involved, since it primarily takes place in and around the campus area. They're also not the primary class, so you wouldn't see the kind of grand scale fights that you'd see in Soul Eater, though that may change in future volumes for all I know.

I just realized I never said whether or not I liked Soul Eater Not. I do like it, and I feel that anyone that liked Soul Eater will also like Not. I enjoy things that expand upon familiar characters while also conveying a different story. Getting to see different things with Kim and Jackie going on around a different set of main characters, that sort of thing.

Heads up:

Grave of the Fireflies is $14.99 on Amazon and The Tale of the Princess Kaguya is $19.99 at Best Buy. (Blu-Rays)

It's here

Ht04YcJ.jpg

I've been reading the printed manga since it first came out, and those cover images are very misleading. The second series is more of the same as the first; same kind of humor and such. There's a bit less action involved, since it primarily takes place in and around the campus area. They're also not the primary class, so you wouldn't see the kind of grand scale fights that you'd see in Soul Eater, though that may change in future volumes for all I know.

I just realized I never said whether or not I liked Soul Eater Not. I do like it, and I feel that anyone that liked Soul Eater will also like Not. I enjoy things that expand upon familiar characters while also conveying a different story. Getting to see different things with Kim and Jackie going on around a different set of main characters, that sort of thing.
Thanks for the info. I really enjoyed Soul Eater, so I'm glad we'll be getting more of it. I'll definitely be picking up Not then.

So did Aniplex pull the plug, or did the SAO Blu rays finally sell out legitimately on RS?  I  just noticed it today.  I never did get around to collecting the second  half of season one.

For anyone who bought the Cowboy Bebop blu ray set but doesn't have the movie its currently 7.59 w/ prime on amazon right now. Its always fairly low but this is as low as it gets according to camelcamelcamel.com

For anyone who bought the Cowboy Bebop blu ray set but doesn't have the movie its currently 7.59 w/ prime on amazon right now. Its always fairly low but this is as low as it gets according to camelcamelcamel.com
Several of the Amazon reviews point out issues with the Blu-ray version that aren't in the DVD version, yet the latter isn't at a good price. Are the problems that bad?

Several of the Amazon reviews point out issues with the Blu-ray version that aren't in the DVD version, yet the latter isn't at a good price. Are the problems that bad?
I made the mistake of buying the Blu-ray to "upgrade" my DVD copy, something I don't typically do--but I'm a big Bebop fan, so...

Anyway, the blu-ray sucks. The extras on the DVD are pretty cool if you're a fan, and not having a 5.1 soundtrack on the blu is inexcusable (the DVD sounds great in 5.1). I'm glad I kept my DVD and gave away the blu. Plus, the picture quality on the DVD looks fine.

This is a standout example why Blu is not always better, and I no longer buy into that crap that blu is automatically superior in every instance (watch John Woo's Hard Boiled or From Dusk to Dawn on blu--I have VHS copies of those films that look better, and that's no exaggeration). As for the special features thing, they pulled this crap with some of the James Bond films too, omitting extras on the blu-rays that were on the original DVDs. I don't get this nonsense, but it's done more often than it should be. Rant over.

I made the mistake of buying the Blu-ray to "upgrade" my DVD copy, something I don't typically do--but I'm a big Bebop fan, so...

Anyway, the blu-ray sucks. The extras on the DVD are pretty cool if you're a fan, and not having a 5.1 soundtrack on the blu is inexcusable (the DVD sounds great in 5.1). I'm glad I kept my DVD and gave away the blu. Plus, the picture quality on the DVD looks fine.

This is a standout example why Blu is not always better, and I no longer buy into that crap that blu is automatically superior in every instance (watch John Woo's Hard Boiled or From Dusk to Dawn on blu--I have VHS copies of those films that look better, and that's no exaggeration). As for the special features thing, they pulled this crap with some of the James Bond films too, omitting extras on the blu-rays that were on the original DVDs. I don't get this nonsense, but it's done more often than it should be. Rant over.
The examples of blu being worse are likely less than 5% of what's available. Pointing out the outliers doesn't just magically alter the overall trend.

I can't help but feel like some people--and this is not pointed at you, it just made me think about it--downplay Blu-rays because they have a large collection of films, TV shows, anime on DVD, and they don't want to feel like their items are inferior to what else is out there. So they hang on these random and few examples of Blu-ray being worse as vindication for their DVDs. It's okay if you aren't up for upgrading your collection, but you don't need to make a fool of yourself to justify that decision--again, really not aimed at you.

The examples of blu being worse are likely less than 5% of what's available. Pointing out the outliers doesn't just magically alter the overall trend.
Understand this isn't aimed at me, so no offense taken. And believe me, I certainly hold no particular love for DVDs. Especially when it comes to audio. Many laserdiscs had better audio. But, I've also been collecting every format from Beta, VHS, VCDs, selectavision, laserdisc, DVD, and blu-ray, so--not to toot my own horn--but I'm not blinded by 'current trend hype' like many are. Examples of blu being worse than over 5% of prior releases...well, that's true, like it or not. In fact, that percentage is significantly higher.

I feel many people overplay blu-rays to the point of foolishness because it's the "hot current format" and blindly buy into it being the be-all end-all of media formats.

Of course, brand new releases of current films, anime, TV shows typically look and sound best on blu, I'm not denying that. A number of older films, anime, etc are remastered well on blu also. But I can give many examples of the terrible transfers that films from over a decade ago and earlier receive, and believe me, the number is greater than merely designating them as outliers. I know many don't want to accept that, because, hey 'hype wagon' and all. But when you've collected nearly every format over the years, and can look at various media without some preset notion that new-always-equals-best, then it's clear that even the precious blu-rays are only as good as the company putting them together, the transfer the material gets, and several other production-related variables.

I highly doubt most downplay blu-ray because of fear that their older DVD collection is becoming irrelevant. It didn't happen when VHS was replaced and it's not really happening now. The only people I see adamantly not praising blu-ray at every opportunity, are the ones who have some media format knowledge and are either familiar with prior superior versions of these releases, or are bringing issue to blu-ray releases that are not up to snuff.

Incase any of you still had Fry's orders hanging around in limbo, I received this email today:

Thanks for shopping at Frys.com. We are pleased to inform
you that we have shipped the items listed below. We recommend
that you save this e-mail for future reference in the event
you need any assistance.

etc etc etc...

Qty Item Description Amount

1 8107055 Fate/Stay Night Comp Col Section23 6.00
1 8123575 Fate/Kaleid Complete Section23 Films 6.00
1 8026364 Samurai Bride Complete Section23 Films 6.00
1 7849529 Girls Und Panzer Tv Coll Section23 Films 6.00
I never thought they would actually ever ship. I still have a previous order that still has yet to ship, but this was definitely nice to see in my email! Hope some of you have luck as well.

Incase any of you still had Fry's orders hanging around in limbo, I received this email today:

I never thought they would actually ever ship. I still have a previous order that still has yet to ship, but this was definitely nice to see in my email! Hope some of you have luck as well.
Most people who did, already had their orders canceled, so you lucked out it would appear. :D

Interesting topic i inadvertently started lol. I will say from what i remember that the bebop blu ray has solid video/audio quality except that it lacks the 5.1 audio the japanese edition had. Regardless the price is back up.

The clear answer to the Cowboy Bebop movie is that everyone should buy a two-disc blu ray case and make it a BD/DVD combo pack.  :D

As for the conversation about the two formats, I think it's important to distinguish between comparing the format and the material.  I don't think anyone thinks that DVD the format is universally better (there are things like region differences between the two formats and other factors where one can argue it is), it's that the material on a specific release is better.  I won't buy any blu ray without checking reviews for glaring issues, and I won't get rid of a DVD until I know everything I want from it was transferred over (audio, extras, etc).

A prime example can be seen in the various blu ray releases of Predator.  Sadly, I don't think we'll ever see a version of that movie that is better than the DVD release.

The clear answer to the Cowboy Bebop movie is that everyone should buy a two-disc blu ray case and make it a BD/DVD combo pack. :D

As for the conversation about the two formats, I think it's important to distinguish between comparing the format and the material. I don't think anyone thinks that DVD the format is universally better (there are things like region differences between the two formats and other factors where one can argue it is), it's that the material on a specific release is better. I won't buy any blu ray without checking reviews for glaring issues, and I won't get rid of a DVD until I know everything I want from it was transferred over (audio, extras, etc).

A prime example can be seen in the various blu ray releases of Predator. Sadly, I don't think we'll ever see a version of that movie that is better than the DVD release.
Preach it brother. Totally agree

Edit: did a little research and apparently the dvd does has 5.1 (why the bluray doesnt is a mystery). However, the audio still sounds good on the blu and the picture is better. So it looks like get both, rip them, and combine! Lol

Didn't know that. Oh well, still better at Amazon. No tax and free shipping w/ prime. Plus, the local BB barely has an anime section left.
Maybe no tax for you, but I happen to be in one of the 23 states they do charge tax. ~_~
+1. And I get free shipping from BBY anyways.

And I get 5%+2% back from BBY, versus 3% from Amazon.

Maybe no tax for you, but I happen to be in one of the 23 states they do charge tax. ~_~
A real CAG would move to another state. :D/

Well, I stand corrected. For over half the remaining states that don't have to pay tax for an Amazon purchase, or for those that don't have free BB shipping, it's not a bad deal. Paying 8% tax at BB and shipping, for me--and anyone else that was hoping to avoid BB because of this--might wanna go with Amazon.

Considering getting the Space Dandy Premium Edition from Funi and subbing to their service for a month to get the 20%. Not sure if I should wait for a potentially better deal or not.

Considering getting the Space Dandy Premium Edition from Funi and subbing to their service for a month to get the 20%. Not sure if I should wait for a potentially better deal or not.
I am a big fan of their streaming service though it is still has issues. I passed on the Funi edition since all of the extras were packaged separately from the series though it is silly and I can see why people would want it. Currently the ps3 service is pretty poor as well as their mobile apps. The 360 and Roku apps run pretty well and the PC streaming is fine....and dandy :)

bread's done
Back