Anime & Manga Thread Vol. 2: Za Warudo!!!

I will admit that the world isn't as well-constructed, the powers not quite as creative, and the story is more clichéd, but...well...

I like Zatch Bell more than One Piece.

Blasphemy, I know.

Quit watching Watamote at episode #9. It was cute at first but it started getting annoying. I wanted to see Tomoko develop and grow up, but she kept acting like a dumb 5 year old. Just wasn't for me. Started watching Kuroko's Basketball and Durara instead.
I felt the same way. That, and it plain just made me uncomfortable at times. I do see how people compare it sometimes to Welcome to The NHK, but the difference being one character is a young adult male, and the other one being a small girl. Didn't finish it myself, stopped at 5 or 6 I think, but I can see why people like it, I guess.

I'm quite surprised myself that I am now up to watching 6 carry over series from the Fall 2013 season. (Log Horizon, Ace of Diamond, Yowapeda, Golden Time, Kill La Kill, and Kuroko's Basketball.)

This weeks new episode of The Simpsons pays tribute to Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli films:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R94Q6NhuS3A

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally finished Eureka Seven after dropping it the first time around a few years ago. The main reason I stopped the first time was because of three specific characters that annoyed the crap out of me. They were still extremely annoying but, I was able to power through the sections they showed up.

I really enjoyed the show, and can see why so many people like it. Now I want to watch the movie along with AO.

Saw Eva 3.0 today. I liked it, but the story felt a little more confusing than the other ones.
Evangelion? Confusing?

3ptrxa.jpg

Watched the Cowboy Bebop movie today. Enjoyed it about as much as the series.

Also started a new manga today whose name I can never seem to remember. I'm sure I'll remember soon.

And started JJBA 2012 to see if I like it enough to continue the manga. And, started School Rumble. I'm enjoying it, but most of the jokes seem like they're only funny in Japanese.

Planned on watching Wake Up, Girls and ended up watching the first 17 minutes. Didn't interest me enough to watch an hour long episode.

And, started School Rumble. I'm enjoying it, but most of the jokes seem like they're only funny in Japanese.
:shock:

School Rumble is one of my all time favorite animes (haven't gotten too far through the manga, but it's almost identical). I was in tears through most of it, so I'd disagree the jokes are only funny in Japanese.

Still kills me every time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSViEMb1oLk

My favorite episodes are the two early in Season 2 when they're deciding what to do at the school festival. Perfect parody.

School Rumble is spectacular, but ended really abruptly. And I totally agree with the above. The school festival episodes are the best.

The two have some similarities in the sense that they are stuck in an mmo, but after that the differences are quite substantial.

SAO was more focused on action and the overpowered main (harem loving) character Kirito, while Log Horizon takes itself less seriously and focuses less on the action (There still is some), but more on the solving the problems within the society of the game as there are no laws.

I didn't necessarily dislike Sword Art Online, but the way the story flattened out halfway through, and the felt forced romance turned me away (Loved the action scenes however.)

With Log Horizon, I like it because it actually feels like an MMO. Where as instead of there being the goal to get out as fast as they can, they know they can't do anything themselves (At the moment at least) so they adjust their livelihoods in the game to make an actual in game society.

Should check it out yourself, as I highly recommend it!
Super cool thanks! That was the issue I had with SAO.

School Rumble is one of my all time favorite animes (haven't gotten too far through the manga, but it's almost identical). I was in tears through most of it, so I'd disagree the jokes are only funny in Japanese.
School Rumble is one of my favorites too (maybe my top fav) and hilarious in any language/culture.

I felt the same way. That, and it plain just made me uncomfortable at times. I do see how people compare it sometimes to Welcome to The NHK, but the difference being one character is a young adult male, and the other one being a small girl. Didn't finish it myself, stopped at 5 or 6 I think, but I can see why people like it, I guess.

I'm quite surprised myself that I am now up to watching 6 carry over series from the Fall 2013 season. (Log Horizon, Ace of Diamond, Yowapeda, Golden Time, Kill La Kill, and Kuroko's Basketball.)
We must have similar tastes because I'm watching every single one of them except Ace of Diamond (which I'll check out later)

I'm only three episodes in so far. It's funny, but a lot of the moments that seem to be jokes need an explanation in a TL note. Should I watch the dub instead? I didn't even know there was one until after I watched those three episodes.

So far I have 40 animes on my watching list and I think there are still a few animes from the winter season that haven't aired yet. There's about 5 of them that aren't airing right now. 

The key ones from the winter season so far seem to be Chuunibyou 2, Gin no Saji 2, Hamatora, Noragami, Space Dandy, and Witch Craft Works. Those are the ones I enjoyed the most, at least. Horribly let down with Pupa. It's just bad so far. Each episode is 5min long and the animation isn't up to par either imo. I'd never heard of Studio DEEN before this but apparently they're known for being awful. 

Edit: Looked up the name of the manga. Nanatsu no Taizai. Forty chapters in and really enjoying it so far.

I'm only three episodes in so far. It's funny, but a lot of the moments that seem to be jokes need an explanation in a TL note. Should I watch the dub instead? I didn't even know there was one until after I watched those three episodes.
No, I'd stick with the sub. While I'm a bit biased toward subs anyway, I don't think the dub is that great and the voices don't fit that well for the characters. The show as a whole changes quite a bit after the first 4 or so episodes, and the humor as well becomes less about witty wordplay and just crazy situations characters get themselves into. I don't know a ton about Japanese culture or the language, but still laughed a ton through the whole series which came to an unsatisfying end unfortunately. You'll have to start reading the manga to know the full ending, since a third season never got off the ground and 2 doesn't tie much of anything up.

Super cool thanks! That was the issue I had with SAO.

Glad I could help! I sure do hope SAO corrects itself in the next upcoming season.

We must have similar tastes because I'm watching every single one of them except Ace of Diamond (which I'll check out later)
Seems like it haha. And Ace of Diamond isn't great, but not terrible either. If you liked Big Windup you would like this one.

Yeah! I've been watching it since the first season started. I tried reading it since, well, Hiromu Arakawa, but it was kinda boring to me. Might try again.

watched more fmab today. Honestly it doesn't interest me much since I've seen fma2003 twice, read the manga twice, and know every scene ever, but I'm still going through it since it's fma and I have yet to watch it.

also watched the second ep of Space Dandy and Noragami today, probably my favorite animes of the season so far. But there's a couple others who are also up there.

Z/X Ignition is kinda lame so far so I might drop it so we'll see.

Finished up Silver Spoon by steamrolling through 6 episodes last night. It seemed like a lame idea at first (slice of life farming school anime) But I ended up enjoying it more than I thought I would.

Hows Gatchaman Crowds? Thinking about starting that up soon.

If anyone is a fan of One-Punch Man, I'd highly suggest checking out the mangakas newest work, Mob Psycho 100.

Thanks PimpLimp! I'll check that out.

Gatchaman Crowds was probably my favorite anime of that season. Gin no Saji was a close competitor. It has really neat characters (and character design), a cool plot, and (in my opinion) very good art. I'd recommend picking it up.

The story line cuts off a little bit, but there's a second season coming later, so that shouldn't be a problem.

What is everyone's opinions of Robotics;Notes?  It's on sale on Funi's site, and I think I want to see it, but I'm not interested enough for a blind-buy.

Pretty disappointed with School Days. Heard a few people recommend it saying the twist ending was worth it. I have to disagree. I mildly enjoyed it but I was mainly watching it for this disturbing twist ending that was overly hyped. Maybe it would've been more of a shock if I went into it not knowing there was a twist.  Spoilers ahead:

I was fully expecting Makoto to die. Dude was an asshole and shit main character. But when I watch these anime school dramas I always think where the fuck are the parents? They're always non-existant or have very little involvement in their teens lives.

Pretty disappointed with School Days. Heard a few people recommend it saying the twist ending was worth it. I have to disagree. I mildly enjoyed it but I was mainly watching it for this disturbing twist ending that was overly hyped. Maybe it would've been more of a shock if I went into it not knowing there was a twist. Spoilers ahead:

I was fully expecting Makoto to die. Dude was an asshole and shit main character. But when I watch these anime school dramas I always think where the fuck are the parents? They're always non-existant or have very little involvement in their teens lives.
The show has multiple endings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKsJunlsgFk

That's a link to one where she dies.

Can anyone recommend any of the Netflix animes? The only thing I've ever watched are a few cartoon series trigun,gundam and of course DBZ so anything that'll ease me slowly to a new comer?

saw zetman and enjoyed it alot, hated the intro though, also the only thing i didnt like was they try to make him like batman being a loner. I really wish he would have reunite with certain characters.

Can anyone recommend any of the Netflix animes? The only thing I've ever watched are a few cartoon series trigun,gundam and of course DBZ so anything that'll ease me slowly to a new comer?
I've been enjoying My Bride is a Mermaid, but you sorta have to already be a fan of that sort of thing to enjoy it (in my opinion, it probably wouldn't be great for newcomers to anime). Netflix used to have a lot more shows, but they lost their licenses to most of it and never bothered to renew them. I'd check out crunchyroll.com if you are looking to stream it, it's legal and free (although there is a subscription model if you like it and want more features, no ads, the ability to watch on other devices, etc.)

Pretty disappointed with School Days. Heard a few people recommend it saying the twist ending was worth it. I have to disagree. I mildly enjoyed it but I was mainly watching it for this disturbing twist ending that was overly hyped. Maybe it would've been more of a shock if I went into it not knowing there was a twist.
Nice... boat? You can always play the visual novel though.

Attack on Titan. And if you watch Fullmetal Alchemist, I recommend watching the first half of the first series, then start on Brotherhood. You can skip the first series, but the first few episodes of Brotherhood is basically a very sped up version of what the first half of FMA covered.

Could anyone watch Toonami's recent episode of Sword Art Online and, with a straight face, say it's a good show?

If the attempted tentacle rape and incest confession doesn't prove how disturbing this show is, I don't know what will (and I hear it gets worse).

Could anyone watch Toonami's recent episode of Sword Art Online and, with a straight face, say it's a good show?

If the attempted tentacle rape and incest confession doesn't prove how disturbing this show is, I don't know what will (and I hear it gets worse).
I've been of a mind it's a lousy show for a while now.

It's a terrible show. The story was over halfway through the series.

The SOA anime must be pretty popular in Japan then, because a 2nd series is already being made with a release date for sometime this year.

I thought it was good, actually really good!

Up until it started to turn into an overpowered Kirito harem with a romance written by a child......Had great action scenes though!

bread's done
Back