Anime & Manga Thread Vol. 2: Za Warudo!!!

Watched most of Non Non Biyori. It was cute, easy to get into but nothing great. 4 girls living in the middle of nowwhere Japan. It's a good show if you have nothing to watch (which was my case).  Dont expect much of a story but the characters are fun.

Also finished One Week Friends. It was okay. Similar to Golden Time were it deals with an amnesic girl who loses memories of her friends every Monday. 

Gundam Build Fighter Try is just as fun as the previous season. It helps that Burning Gundam is my favorite Gundam. Can't wait to see some of the characters from the first series show up and see how they aged. Ral is still the fucking boss.

Dropped Flowers of Evil after 4 episodes. Boring as shit. What a shame since I did enjoy the rotoscope animation and creepy vibe. I can't watch something where I feel the urge to punch the main character in the face every 5 minutes.

Your Lie in April is solid. This and Parasyte are my favorites this season. Plus the animation and music is top notch.

tumblr_static_tumblr_static_bywfj0f9ecggokswwkg8cg8ss_1280.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Is kill la kill any good? A few people I know recommend It.
I'll be honest and say, not really. My opinion is probably an unpopular one but I think it was one of most over rated shows since it had all of that Gainax (now Trigger) hype behind it and people just soaked it up. I like the animation but it doesn't have the same "click" that other Gainax shows had.

I'll be honest and say, not really. My opinion is probably an unpopular one but I think it was one of most over rated shows since it had all of that Gainax (now Trigger) hype behind it and people just soaked it up. I like the animation but it doesn't have the same "click" that other Gainax shows had.
I mostly agree with that.

I watched a little more than half of the series and just didn't find it to be interesting at all.

Is kill la kill any good? A few people I know recommend It.
It's up there with Attack on Titan & Sword Art Online when it comes to current mainstream anime. Because of that anime snobs tend to shit on it just because it's so popular with the casuals. Take what you read online with a grain of salt.

With that said I have to agree with the above saying it was a little over hyped. It's a good anime so defiantly watch an episode or two to see if it's your thing. If you like crazy over-the-top anime that doesn't take it's self seriously then you should like it. It's got some great characters but a very silly, childish plot (which is kinda the point).

Attack on Titan wasn't incredible but visually it was fantastic. I tend to click more with action shows and I really liked it and not too many shows have dealt with giants as of late so it's why I enjoyed it so much. 

Kill la Kill was basically a fanservice fest from beginning to end, not to say previous Gainax shows weren't like this but Kill la Kill was pretty much all about it. I will admit that the schoolgirl friend was probably the best character in the show. But like I said, some people love that and soak it up and some don't.

Sword Art Online's first episode had me interested but it gradually went downhill as it progressed. I and many others couldn't stomach it's second arc. 

Oh, and anime is general is never that well-written. Especially shonen-ny action shows like the ones above. I always felt the more mature and grittier animes tend to have the best writing and those are usually my favorites (Gungrave, Bebop, Darker than Black S1, etc). 

I liked SAO til the end of the first arc. I want to watch the second arc just to watch SAO II, but I'm not in a rush. I still like AoT. Also liked Bleach til the end of the Soul Society arc, which is further than most people. And never liked Naruto =P

I liked SAO til the end of the first arc. I want to watch the second arc just to watch SAO II, but I'm not in a rush. I still like AoT. Also liked Bleach til the end of the Soul Society arc, which is further than most people. And never liked Naruto =P
I grew up with a lot of shonens so I've stomached some terrible stuff. I also ran a Naruto site from 2007-2011 and I can agree that my love for Naruto quickly grew into hate once I was harassed by members about it's constant filler arcs like I had something to do with it. As for most mainstream animes, the fanbase(s) are terrible.

Speaking of fillers, I think some of us could write some pretty amusing filler arcs. Since Japan rarely has them now (they discovered what a season was) It would probably make a good thread. :lol:

^I think people tend to shit on Sword Art Online more due to the schlock writing.
Most anime has schlock/cheap writing. But people tend to single out anime like AoT and SAO because they're so popular. I'm not saying they're amazing, but I wont deny the fact that I enjoyed them for what they were.

It's up there with Attack on Titan & Sword Art Online when it comes to current mainstream anime. Because of that anime snobs tend to shit on it just because it's so popular with the casuals. Take what you read online with a grain of salt.
I disliked both of those and still really enjoyed KLK. That's not to say KLK doesn't have its problems (namely some...questionable choices in regards to its portrayal of female characters) but its general execution is more often than not a lot more successful than what AoT and SAO attempted (the former constantly falling back on cliches and underdeveloped characters, and the latter just being generally terribly written and kind of gross with its female characters).

I totally lost my interest in giving AoT a watch after correctly guessing the big plot twist everyone was talking about back then. It killed any interest I had in.
I think the series would have been a lot better if
when they killed the main character he actually was killed. Instead he got superpowers which is so cliche. Also he went from more or less being I do what I want kind of character to becoming a pet and doing whatever he was told. Complete 180 of the character.

I started watching Kaiji. About 7 episodes in and what a nail-biter. I've never seen janken (rock-paper-scissors) taken to this level of pressure. Anyone seen the entire series? Just want to know of it holds the same crazy tension.

Also anyone watching MUSHI-SHI? The second season is on Crunchyroll but no sign of season 1. Can I get into the second season without watching the first?

Also anyone watching MUSHI-SHI? The second season is on Crunchyroll but no sign of season 1. Can I get into the second season without watching the first?
Funimation owns the rights to S1 and I guess they didn't want to negotiate with them (yet) to license/share the streaming rights with them. S1 goes over Ginko and his backstory for a few episodes so I recommend watching it. S2 doesn't really require S1 but it makes understanding the series (mainly the mushi) a little easier.

What plot twist? Other than
Eren "dying"
, there wasn't one?
That, and other people (Annie) could be a titan.

Funimation owns the rights to S1 and I guess they didn't want to negotiate with them (yet) to license/share the streaming rights with them. S1 goes over Ginko and his backstory for a few episodes so I recommend watching it. S2 doesn't really require S1 but it makes understanding the series (mainly the mushi) a little easier.

That, and other people (Annie) could be a titan.
I didn't see that one as a plot twist, but there are some in the manga that I didn't see coming, i.e.

how The Wall got there, Armored Titan / Colossus Titan's identities

Actually I just saw season 1 is Hulu. I was about to drop my subscription but I guess I'll hang onto it.

And I'll check out this Inou Battle I hear people talking about.

Throws Master Grade out of window.

I wonder when Gunpla kits will have their parts not in those sheets. That is the part of building process that I hate because when I'm done, there's so many pointy parts that I have to file down.

Throws Master Grade out of window.

I wonder when Gunpla kits will have their parts not in those sheets. That is the part of building process that I hate because when I'm done, there's so many pointy parts that I have to file down.
Most builders recommend filing those parts off. Sei even does that in Build Fighters.

any1 watched durarara, any good?
Durarara is pretty good but it takes a while to get going, and after it gets going you really have to pay attention.

it's from the creators of Bacano another solid series, but a series that if you can't handle the story jumping around then you will hate it.

Durarara is pretty good but it takes a while to get going, and after it gets going you really have to pay attention.

it's from the creators of Bacano another solid series, but a series that if you can't handle the story jumping around then you will hate it.
It has a good dub too but it was sadly done by Aniplex of America so it's very expensive. As for the sub, it's all over the internet and it's just as good. S2 is just around the corner so it's a great time to start watching it. S1 as some said, takes a while to build up but if you stick with it, it's pretty great. It has some great opening themes and music too.

Local thrift store had an interesting surprise. Full-on Japanese volumes of both Naruto and Rurouni Kenshin along with two data books from each series (that were translated here in the US as "Profile" books). There were well used and yellowed, but still cool to see.

I'm finally 80 episodes in on Gintama. It's taken like 3 months to get to this point. A shame the series introduces some really cool characters every couple of episodes and then they all sort of disappear until several episodes later. It seems to be a trend but I guess it's to prevent an overload of characters constantly. It's a very good in-between anime if you're watching a lot of stuff on CR. 

I also finished the first season of Shakugan no Shana. It was pretty rough I must say in terms of well, everything. I kind of stuck with it since it's arcs were pretty short and it's still somewhat entertaining. S2 seems like it will be a lot more interesting since everything's established and the characters (especially the high school part of the cast) have all matured. I'm also looking forward to the Funimation cast who is probably way better but Shana's S1 VA did kind of stick to me in the end. Everyone else, bleh. 

Kind of debating on what anime to watch next that's in my Blu collection. I have a lot to go over... Ninja Scroll, Elfen Lied, Sankrea (don't care that it's edited), the Fullmetal Panic sequel with the random letters at the end, etc. lol

i asked, because there is a sequel releasing soon for it. is it like hamatora?
I've never seen Hamatora, so I can't say. I say watch it tho

Kind of debating on what anime to watch next that's in my Blu collection. I have a lot to go over... Ninja Scroll, Elfen Lied, Sankrea (don't care that it's edited), the Fullmetal Panic sequel with the random letters at the end, etc. lol
Ninja Scroll is a fun watch, the only other one I've seen from those is Elfen Lied and I thought that was terrible.

I've never seen Hamatora, so I can't say. I say watch it tho

Ninja Scroll is a fun watch, the only other one I've seen from those is Elfen Lied and I thought that was terrible.
I agree on Elfen Lied. I enjoyed it back then,but thinking it is terrible. It's hilarious how emotional manipulating the show was at points.

Started to watch Zeta Gundam. I don't really know what to think of it yet. Kamille so far is a terrible character.I could see their trying to go for another Amuro,but he is really all the place.

I only bought Elfen Lied because my brother and his friend praised it many years ago then I saw Manaknight post on FB one night on how he loved it. Later a friend of mine explained Elfen Lied to me and I was like "what the hell did I buy".

Ninja Scroll will be next.

Fumoffu is hilarious. It helps that a lot of the jokes don't rely on stuff only Japanese people would get.
That's actually a big problem with GIntama which is probably why it tanked so hard for Sentai. Thankfully, CR jacked a previous fansub of Gintama. It has a lot of translator notes for Japanese references which are usually of Japanese television shows and weird jokes that don't translate well in English.

Ninja Scroll is a timeless classic. It absolutely blew me away when it was released and the score...oh so great. Took me about 10 years to track it down and get my hands on a copy.

Finally caught Captain Harlock on Netflix. Pretty fun and pretty!

bread's done
Back