Anime & Manga Thread Vol. 2: Za Warudo!!!

Also caught up with Konosuba. I don't remember this being so goofy. I binged the first season in a few days and only remember scraps. Animation is a bit more wacky.
It started getting goofy half way through S1. I guess with S2, they're rolling with it. (The LN/WN were comedy to begin with.)

Don't expect it to be too serious anymore.

Love their idgaf faces in the OP. 

konosuba-2-op-dance.gif

So I got impatient waiting for the next episode of Fuuka and read the manga up to ch. 90. I'm realizing that for "music" shows, the impact is the actual music, so while the manga is interesting, not hearing the music irritates me. That said, the character and plot development is pretty good, so I hope we get a lot of episodes or a continuation in a later season. If this is just a manga promo....boo.

My major problem with Fuuka is it's insanely contrived. 

- MC's childhood friend is a pop idol that Fuuka loves.

- Dandy boy just happens to be a child prodigy pianist

- Guitar girl and MC just happen to be best twitter friends.

- MC & Fuuka's favorite band is Sonic the Hedgehog.

- They get a parttime job that Sonic the Hedgehog happens to run. But they're like 5 years older so nobody recognized them... riiiiiight..

- Fuuka does a good karaoke so Sonic the Hedgehog lets them use their studio, keep in mind 2 of the 4 have no business playing music.They can't read music or have any clue how to play their assigned instrument. "But it's easy, just press down on this string and that string and that's it." Bullshit

- I asume lost Sonic the Hedgehog singer just happens to hear Fuuka's karaoke. Keep in mind nobody has seen her for a long time and are searching for her, yet she's right there across the freaking pond.

I liked the first 3 episodes, but it really lost me with the last 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
My major problem with Fuuka is it's insanely contrived.

- MC's childhood friend is a pop idol that Fuuka loves.

- Dandy boy just happens to be a child prodigy pianist

- Guitar girl and MC just happen to be best twitter friends.

- MC & Fuuka's favorite band is Sonic the Hedgehog.

- They get a parttime job that Sonic the Hedgehog happens to run. But they're like 5 years older so nobody recognized them... riiiiiight..

- Fuuka does a good karaoke so Sonic the Hedgehog lets them use their studio, keep in mind 2 of the 4 have no business playing music.They can't read music or have any clue how to play their assigned instrument. "But it's easy, just press down on this string and that string and that's it." Bullshit

- I asume lost Sonic the Hedgehog singer just happens to hear Fuuka's karaoke. Keep in mind nobody has seen her for a long time and are searching for her, yet she's right there across the freaking pond.

I liked the first 3 episodes, but it really lost me with the last 2.
Aren't most anime contrived as hell? There's always the innately powerful bad ass in shounen/action shows, dramas have their own contrivances. I just accept the simple absurdities because if I can't do that I can't really enjoy anime. Honestly, it isn't until much later in the manga where it kind of starts to feel more normal and a bit less contrived. Although that's because so much had been setup earlier hah. I enjoy the music aspect of "music anime", which is why I tend to like them I think. It's rare for an anime to go against expectations, Ga-Rei Zero was one of those, even though it was a manga promo. Chihayafuru is a little unconventional too, as was that one tennis show, Baby Steps (asides from the one special ability the protagonist had).

I'm surprised you still like Fuuka after reading up Ch 90. :lol:
I laughed at the "twist". I was like...are you serious? lol.....I stopped at 90, didn't read it. It didn't seem like anything impressive and I felt like it was a good stopping off point.

The biggest issue with Fuuka and the other author's work,is them being really safe for it's genre.That and he's terrible at writing believable characters and dramatic situations.The later twist is some of the hackiest writing,with
the main character meeting another girl named Fuuka,who happens to look exactly like the other one,along with her also being in a band

Aren't most anime contrived as hell? There's always the innately powerful bad ass in shounen/action shows, dramas have their own contrivances. I just accept the simple absurdities because if I can't do that I can't really enjoy anime. Honestly, it isn't until much later in the manga where it kind of starts to feel more normal and a bit less contrived. Although that's because so much had been setup earlier hah. I enjoy the music aspect of "music anime", which is why I tend to like them I think. It's rare for an anime to go against expectations, Ga-Rei Zero was one of those, even though it was a manga promo. Chihayafuru is a little unconventional too, as was that one tennis show, Baby Steps (asides from the one special ability the protagonist had).

I laughed at the "twist". I was like...are you serious? lol.....I stopped at 90, didn't read it. It didn't seem like anything impressive and I felt like it was a good stopping off point.
My friends and I dropped it after that point.
After everything that happened in Suzuka, Seo does this. Like. wtf

Konosuba was serious at some point?
Yes. The first few minutes.

@starkillr - Fuuka just takes the cake on being contrived. I expect it in anime but the last two episodes I saw was like a rabbit being pulled out of a hat every 5 minutes. It's lazy writing.

With that said I'll stick with it because of this "surprise" I hear about. I don't hate the show, but I roll my eyes every time something like "By the way my brother was in a band and has a drum set and studio in our garage. We can practice there." Well isn't that convenient for the story.

New episode of Iron Blooded Orphans

66171852.jpg

Shit is going to go down next week or two

Im prettyou sad about this. Damn you Okada

Do I need to catch up on Gundamu? I put it on hold and just never got back to it. Last season was good. Is it still going strong?

Anyone else watching Interview with Monster Girls? I'm all caught up and this is one of my favorite shows this season. It's charming and lighthearted. I love all the characters and I get a warm fuzzy feeling after every episode. Plus there's a lot of hugging.

Anyone else watching Interview with Monster Girls? I'm all caught up and this is one of my favorite shows this season. It's charming and lighthearted. I love all the characters and I get a warm fuzzy feeling after every episode. Plus there's a lot of hugging.
I am. It's my "light show" of the season.

I am. It's my "light show" of the season.
Same here. And if you haven't checked out Kobayashi's Dragon Maid I would recommend it. It's a funny show.

I'm 2 episodes into Tanya the Evil. This show is weird. Not sure how I feel about this one yet.

Yowapeda New Generation ep 3-4: Onoda is still the man.

Gundam Orgins 4: This was probably the least interesting of all the movies. It barely had anything to do with Char.

Same here. And if you haven't checked out Kobayashi's Dragon Maid I would recommend it. It's a funny show.

I'm 2 episodes into Tanya the Evil. This show is weird. Not sure how I feel about this one yet.

Yowapeda New Generation ep 3-4: Onoda is still the man.

Gundam Orgins 4: This was probably the least interesting of all the movies. It barely had anything to do with Char.
New origins? *goes hunting for it*

I had a feeling, so I'm going to wait til the whole show has shown on CN, and then marathon it all.
The whole show (dub) is already available online.

They basically too the 7 OVAs and split it into 22 episodes. So the first piece of action doesn't happen till around Ep 3 or 4

DB Super is good. I don't care what you haters think. Just let me binge the next 20 episodes already. Pour it strait into my veins.

Anyone going to see the SAO: Ordinal Scale movie when it comes out in March? I just got tickets for March 9. Kind of excited to see it so soon after JP release. Hopefully it doesn't suck, but if it does, at least it'll be on a nice movie screen? :p

I probably will, since it's actually playing at a theater only 10 miles away from me.  We almost never get anime movies in my area, so this is a bit of a treat. I'm not a huge fan of SAO, but I did like SAO II a good bit, and I have all the Aniplex LE sets for both seasons, so I guess I'll have to see what this movie will be like. 

SAO II was mostly about Sinon's butt shots.
I don't recall that many butt shots, that might be the only one. They do have that annoying pandering to the lowest common denominator here and there, but it's not the focus of the show. I just roll my eyes when I notice it. It's so pervasive in anime it's annoying as hell. I think in SAO in particular it's jarring because the show tries to be relatively serious, but then has these blatant fan service moments just thrown in randomly by the director. I didn't check out the light novels, but I would hope there isn't a pane in the manga of an ass with some text.

I don't recall that many butt shots, that might be the only one. They do have that annoying pandering to the lowest common denominator here and there, but it's not the focus of the show. I just roll my eyes when I notice it. It's so pervasive in anime it's annoying as hell. I think in SAO in particular it's jarring because the show tries to be relatively serious, but then has these blatant fan service moments just thrown in randomly by the director. I didn't check out the light novels, but I would hope there isn't a pane in the manga of an ass with some text.
Nah. there was more than you think.

I remember there were several episodes that focused heavily on Sinon's butt. It was a bit over the top. Then after they went back to fairy elf land it stopped.

yay it's official that funimation is rescuing gosick and it will be releasing with a dub (in two parts) with the first part coming out in may.

bread's done
Back