Any Rhode Islanders here?

ok. hopefully i'll see some stuff when i go check out those two tomorrow, along with the one close to me. the one close to me had endwar for $20 last week, so i'm hoping it dropped at least $10. the jury is out as to whether i'll flip it or keep it.

Honestly, it really blew me away in terms of how much I *loved* it. I never buy stuff at asking price just because it's in my nature so I prefer CL buying, but I approve. He knows his stuff but he's not one of those scummy flea market sellers who wants ludicrous Amazon/eBay prices but offline. I don't think he does new but he has a good amount of used from all systems. I've picked up some very nicely priced accessories there.

i'm a ways from warren but it seems like it would be cool to check out if i'm ever down there.

if anyone wants some wii games at a decent price, check out the target at the warwick mall, they just put hundreds on clearance and there should still be a ton left...if el hoardo hasn't gotten to them.

They just sold out of the Saturn I was slightly interested in. I try and go there weekly because my mom stocks up on movies since they're 4 for $20

The GameStop in the Providence Place Mall currently has the Marvel vs. Capcom 2 arcade stick, Modern Warfare 2 Prestige Edition, Assassin's Creed 2 Collector's Edition, and Batman Arkam Asylum Collector's Edition in-stock. Everything I listed is for the PS3 -- I did not look at Xbox stuff.

hey fellow rhode islanders! we should keep tabs on target clearance games. i live within 5 mins of the smithfield store and 10-15 mins of lincoln. if others could keep tabs on warwick and north attleboro, we could keep the area covered rather easily.

they both suck right now, the rt 2 one is terrible there are a few things at the mall one but nothing that great right now

I found a copy of the the StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty Limited Edition Strategy Guide at the North Attleboro, MA Wal-Mart. I did see any other copies than what I bought, but it may be worth checking the other stores in the area if you're looking for the guide. I would imagine you'd have better luck at Supercenters like Coventry or Westerly.

[quote name='Aldogg']North Providence here![/QUOTE]

Me too, lol... actually I'm right on the border of Providence and North Providence off Branch Ave.

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in new bedford, ma but I love goin to providence. I pretty much lived at my friends house in ep. The gamestop at providence place is full of douches. There's a nice little store in warren that sells used games and movies.

[quote name='CupsSliceofLife']I live in new bedford, ma but I love goin to providence. I pretty much lived at my friends house in ep. The gamestop at providence place is full of douches. There's a nice little store in warren that sells used games and movies.[/QUOTE]
Providence Place Mall is full of douches in general.

Just moved to Warwick right off the highway. I was surprised by the amount of stuff in the Warwick area. A few comic / collectible stores, Newbury Comics, Best Buy, and Chipotle.

I thought the Rhode Island Mall was hilarious. I walked in and there was literally only 1 store open - some random sports apparel store.

[quote name='Dokstarr']Just moved to Warwick right off the highway. I was surprised by the amount of stuff in the Warwick area. A few comic / collectible stores, Newbury Comics, Best Buy, and Chipotle.[/QUOTE]

Is there something beside Newbury Comics in that area? Do tell!

[quote name='WebScud']Is there something beside Newbury Comics in that area? Do tell![/QUOTE]
Do you mean comic stores? There's the Comic Doctor on Oaklawn ave, and if you go into Cranston there's the Time Capsule. They also sell old video games, action figures, and records.

They have one comics store in Warwick mall, I think is Time Capsule. And I'm not sure Rei no Otaku but that one in Cranston is gone, as they moved to their new store in Warwick mall.

[quote name='Edwin29']They have one comics store in Warwick mall, I think is Time Capsule. And I'm not sure Rei no Otaku but that one in Cranston is gone, as they moved to their new store in Warwick mall.[/QUOTE]
You're thinking of Toy Vault. That's the one in Warwick Mall.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']You're thinking of Toy Vault. That's the one in Warwick Mall.[/QUOTE]

Might as well add one more place I saw. There is a little place in West Warwick called Blast from the Past - it had video games, comics, and dragon / wizard stuff. No new comics just older stuff. I just went though pretty quickly.

Also I stopped by the Comic Doctor. He had two real cool dogs but he seemed pretty intense when talking to him especially when talking about the competition in the area.

I just don't get how those places all stay open though - I would think the overhead costs would kill them.

I've gone into the Toy Vault at Warwick Mall quite a bit but I've never bought anything and I don't think I've seen anyone buy anything. The stuff is super cool to look at but I just know anything there I can get for much less online - probably close to half off. Like the Kotobuyoki (or however it is spelled) Deadpool statue I got a while back and and a Harley Quinn one I got.

Maybe all us cags could get together and have some game nights or something.

[quote name='Dokstarr']Might as well add one more place I saw. There is a little place in West Warwick called Blast from the Past - it had video games, comics, and dragon / wizard stuff. No new comics just older stuff. I just went though pretty quickly.

Also I stopped by the Comic Doctor. He had two real cool dogs but he seemed pretty intense when talking to him especially when talking about the competition in the area.

I just don't get how those places all stay open though - I would think the overhead costs would kill them.

I've gone into the Toy Vault at Warwick Mall quite a bit but I've never bought anything and I don't think I've seen anyone buy anything. The stuff is super cool to look at but I just know anything there I can get for much less online - probably close to half off. Like the Kotobuyoki (or however it is spelled) Deadpool statue I got a while back and and a Harley Quinn one I got.

Maybe all us cags could get together and have some game nights or something.[/QUOTE]
I don't know about Toy Vault because like you said they don't seem to get all that much business. Also they're kind of assholes. Still annoyed about how they handled Free Comic Book Day.

Time Capsule in Cranston gets a lot of business though. It's where myself and all my friends get our comics, and the place is always busy on Wednesdays (new comic book day).

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I don't know about Toy Vault because like you said they don't seem to get all that much business. Also they're kind of assholes. Still annoyed about how they handled Free Comic Book Day.

Time Capsule in Cranston gets a lot of business though. It's where myself and all my friends get our comics, and the place is always busy on Wednesdays (new comic book day).[/QUOTE]

Time Capsule seemed pretty cool, but there isn't much parking and the store really bothered my allergies. I've been there twice and each time I have a sneezing attack - it must be musty, dusty or have some mold somewhere.

The parking may be better now though. I haven't been there since February though when the snow was probably thigh high.

I usually just get the comics I'm into delivered from online or pick them up at Newbury Comics. I'm not reading too many current things - Hack/Slash, Irredeemable, Incorruptible, Walking Dead, Invincible, and Darkwing Duck.

How did Toy Vault handle free comic day?

If people would be interested I'd be willing to host a halo reach night or something else at my apt. I have a 360 so we could do it online or something. I don't have blops, but if people wanted that they could bring it.

We'd have to split screen unless someone wanted to bring another 360 and a small tv.

So if anyone is interested reply and maybe we could get a few cag game nights.

If people would be interested I'd be willing to host a halo reach night or something else at my apt. I have a 360 so we could do it online or something. I don't have blops, but if people wanted that they could bring it.

We'd have to split screen unless someone wanted to bring another 360 and a small tv.

So if anyone is interested reply and maybe we could get a few cag game nights.

I'm not too much for fighters aside from some Smash Bros. I really haven't played too many "real" fighters since some girl in Akihabara thrashed me every so badly a few years back in Guilty Gear.

I'd be up for it though. I'll be the worst guy there with one of those 100 dollar or whatever they were special edition Street Fighter sticks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just bumping the thread since a new video game store opened on Rt. 2 in Warwick. Its across the street from the Best Buy area. Its called Button Mashers http://buttonmashersvideogames.com/

I have not been but a guy I know went in the other day and said the girl who runs it seems pretty cool. I'll hopefully stop in sometime this week to check it out. I hope the store survives since it seems pretty cool looking from the pics, but with all the stores around and it must be expensive being on a main drag like that.

I'm still amazed by the number of stores dealing in games in this small state of Rhode Island, and it seems like a bunch are new within the last year. I wonder how many will survive.

Also, the spot she is in always looked like it would be a cool spot for somesort of arcade. Maybe someday I'll be able to quit my job and do that.

Just posting again to say I checked out that Button Mashers place. Very cool looking place and professional set up - which is nice after how so many game stores look like a basement or a junk shop. But it was also probably very expensive. Big 50+ inch TV on the wall, plus putting up like 5 smaller (30 inchish?) LCDs on the wall for testing games (so she said).

Also, they are supposedly going to focus mostly on new games. Their retro section (at least when I was there a few weeks back) was very small and just looked like it was an afterthought with nothing exciting.

I hope they do well, but in all honesty I don't know how they will survive. Two GameStops, two Targets, Best Buy, Walmart all on the same road within 1/2 mile (plus all the other close by small game stores, Newbury Comics, etc.). I don't know wholesale prices or anything, but I would think that a few bad big game launches could leave them in trouble.

Of course best of luck. I would never wish poorly on someone trying to make it. It was funny being asked about preordering some of big titles.

I checked it out as well. Nice place, but I saw no reason to shop there over anywhere else. She's really going to have to come up with something special to draw people in.

[quote name='davo1224']Is the store still open? I don't even see a sign for it.[/QUOTE]
They're in the process of moving to a new location. You can read about it on their Facebook page.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']They're in the process of moving to a new location. You can read about it on their Facebook page.[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing they are pretty much closed up and done. Between the super high rent on Rt 2 and the competition of 2 GameStops, 2 Targets, Walmart, Best Buy, Newbury Comics, and that comic place in the Warwick Mall they had pretty much no chance.

The place had a cool look but I don't think they went the right direction. It just felt like a Gamestop with some other random odds and ends. Whenever I went in there all the TVs were all off and everything put away. I wish there was a store that also doubled as an arcade. Charge an hourly fee or something to play all the consoles and have a few arcade games or something in there. I know there won't be a new Tokyo Game Action or Funspot suddenly around, but something else has to make me want to go to a place. A game store is just a store to me, and if they don't have something to make me want to specifically go there then I will hit up all the other places that are around that charge the exact same price or get it for cheaper online.

Their trade-in values were slightly higher than everyone else, but there was really no other reason to ever go there. Also they did a terrible job having games in stock. There were a number of times I went there to buy something that had just come out only to find out they only got like 1 copy and it was gone. Their used selection was just plain awful. I had a B1G1 used coupon for months but could find absolutely nothing to get with it.

I kinda miss Gamecrazy a little bit. They started to suck at the end with getting rid of all their last gen stuff, but I always got a few things there.

bread's done
Back