Anybody still playing PS2? What games are you playing?

I thought about buying some of the recent PSP games on my PS2 since I do not play my PSP that much anymore and might sell it. Right now I have to hunt for GTA Liberty City and Vice City Stories, Jak and Daxter Lost Frontier, Motorstorm Arctic Edge, Ratchet and Clank, Secret Agent Clank, and I heard the Syphon Filter game on PSP might come to PS2 also.

As for recent games, I found a copy of Killzone at my closing down Movie Gallery. Its a pretty cool game, but I can see why some people disliked it.

I foolishly sold a huge chunk of my PS2 games during a bad time in my life for quick cash. Now that I'm on my feet, I'll more than likely buy the Xenosaga Trilogy and play through them. I still have all of my PS1 games thankfully.

[quote name='Cloyd']I foolishly sold a huge chunk of my PS2 games during a bad time in my life for quick cash. Now that I'm on my feet, I'll more than likely buy the Xenosaga Trilogy and play through them. I still have all of my PS1 games thankfully.[/QUOTE]

I had to do the same. I'm slowly rebuilding. :)

[quote name='uncle5555']You and me both, and I have about 10+ PS1(!!!) RPG's (not counting other genres either) to play as well.

You can't imagine the backlog I have of games I have (literally) considering I bought some of them almost 10 years ago and they still haven't been played any more than 10-15 minutes at max to make sure they worked. It's insane.[/QUOTE]

Someone else knows my pain. Same unholy backlog here. That post sounded like it came out of my own mouth lol.

[quote name='Nogib']Someone else knows my pain. Same unholy backlog here. That post sounded like it came out of my own mouth lol.[/QUOTE]

Yup - in the same position - and I admit odds are I'll never get around to them (no time, really). Still, I like having the collection :)

I played about an hour of Splinter Cell - Pandora Tomorrow on PS2 last night. It's better on Xbox but not simply due to graphics. The Xbox version runs more smoothly. On Xbox I never had a problem drawing a bead on a walking guard's head and popping him without setting off any alarms. Last night I was forever shooting someone in the shoulder instead and either pumping him full of lead to avoid the alarm or reloading my save.

I plan to keep playing it but it's annoying to not be the ninja that I know I can be.

[quote name='Halo05']I played about an hour of Splinter Cell - Pandora Tomorrow on PS2 last night. It's better on Xbox but not simply due to graphics. The Xbox version runs more smoothly. On Xbox I never had a problem drawing a bead on a walking guard's head and popping him without setting off any alarms. Last night I was forever shooting someone in the shoulder instead and either pumping him full of lead to avoid the alarm or reloading my save.

I plan to keep playing it but it's annoying to not be the ninja that I know I can be.[/QUOTE]

Yeah -- as much as I love my PS2 -- I love it mostly for its exclusives; 3rd party multi-platform games such as Splinter Cell, SSX, Bond, etc. were all purchased for my XBOX. Fact is those games were almost always better (in terms of framerate and visuals) on MS' console.

I've got 135 games on my XBOX and I love that console, too ;-) Good times!

Oh god, my backlog. I have 17 rpgs for the PS2 and so far I've only beaten 3 of them. And I have other games like Yakuza 1 and 2, Sly Cooper 1 and 2, Jak and Daxter, Fahrenheit, God Hand, God of War, Maximo, Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3, Project Zero II and Psychonauts to play (and that's just me listing a few games).

The next PS2 game I want to play is Drakengard 2, because I feel like playing some hack n slash.

[quote name='ConsoleHandheldGamer']Oh god, my backlog. I have 17 rpgs for the PS2 and so far I've only beaten 3 of them. And I have other games like Yakuza 1 and 2, Sly Cooper 1 and 2, Jak and Daxter, Fahrenheit, God Hand, God of War, Maximo, Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3, Project Zero II and Psychonauts to play (and that's just me listing a few games).

The next PS2 game I want to play is Drakengard 2, because I feel like playing some hack n slash.[/QUOTE]

Ah, Drakangard 2 -- that one is on my backlog, too, along with Drakangard 1 :)

I've heard the games are terrible Dynasty Warriors clones, but I'm a graphics-whore and well, both are awfully pretty looking games (for the PS2 gen, anyways).

I've been doing a second playthrough of Dragon Quest VIII. Still my favorite RPG ever.

Hopefully DQ IX will be just as good when it comes stateside soon.

I started Castlevania Lament of Innocence a couple days ago and within an hour, I remembered why I never finished it in the first place. The game could not be more lifeless. Atmosphere has always been a hallmark of the CV games and this one has absolutely none. Technically it is a passable 3d action game, in execution, it is a cure for insomnia.

I'm going back through the Kingdom Hearts games. I have to rebuy Kingdom Hearts 2 and get Chain of Memories, but I really wish they wouldn't do the handheld spin-off games and just bless us with Kingdom Hearts III within the next two years... Well, as long as Nomura finishes up Final Fantasy Versus XIII soon...

[quote name='romeogbs19']Ah, Drakangard 2 -- that one is on my backlog, too, along with Drakangard 1 :)

I've heard the games are terrible Dynasty Warriors clones, but I'm a graphics-whore and well, both are awfully pretty looking games (for the PS2 gen, anyways).[/QUOTE]

Actually the graphics aren't that nice either - from the enemy character models, special effects, to the level designs. Other than the strange, medieval/japanese style story it's pretty average. Dynasty Warriors is definitely better.

I keep picking up PS2 games but never playing them. I can't even remember the last time I beat one of my games.

[quote name='slfc']I've been playing Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love. So far it's fun.[/QUOTE]

I loved that game!
I got the Gemini Sunrise ending. Who is your number 1 right now?

Just finished Yakuza 2 a few weeks ago and have to say it was worth it! Been working on Killzone right now.

I still have quite a few PS2 games to work on. I'm about half-way done with Shadow of the Colossus and Katmari Damacy.

Need to get the backlog down to a more manageable level. I still have at least Okami, We Love Katamari, Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence, and Ico to start.

I'm gonna pull my PS2 back out of storage. I have a few games I need to beat. Bully, Kingdom Hearts, and Shadow of the Colossus. Although I'll probably not finish most of them.

Also planning on getting San Andreas tonight.

[quote name='NipPicker']finally got a copy of sniper elite[/QUOTE]

Saw this for $10 at Best Buy. Maybe I should go grab it.

I've been playing Digital Devil Saga, but it's just so boring. X_X

I also grabbed a stack of games from my backlog, so I'm gonna go through them and figure out which ones I want to play and which ones I wanna drop.

Anyone know any short RPGs I can power through? :3

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Anyone know any short RPGs I can power through? :3[/QUOTE]
I'd like to know this too. I have a ton of PS2 RPGs in my backlog, but I keep picking ultra long games like Dragon Quest VIII and Persona 3/4. Something a little more concise would hit the spot.

Is there such a thing as a short PS2 RPG? I remember Okage: Shadow King was kind of short, but can't think of any others. Having played Suikoden III semi-recently, it was crazy how bloated in every way it was compared to the PSOne Suikodens. Really a pervasive disease that seemed to hit all RPGs last generation.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I'd like to know this too. I have a ton of PS2 RPGs in my backlog, but I keep picking ultra long games like Dragon Quest VIII and Persona 3/4. Something a little more concise would hit the spot.[/QUOTE]

King's Field: The Ancient City by From Software. First time through 20-30 hours, and lots of cool armor and weapons. The view is first person, and your character is faceless, but I love this game. When I play through now, it takes 12-14 hours.

[quote name='surak']Is there such a thing as a short PS2 RPG? I remember Okage: Shadow King was kind of short, but can't think of any others. Having played Suikoden III semi-recently, it was crazy how bloated in every way it was compared to the PSOne Suikodens. Really a pervasive disease that seemed to hit all RPGs last generation.[/QUOTE]
Dang. :) I'm never going to finish all of these games.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']I've been playing Digital Devil Saga, but it's just so boring. X_X

I also grabbed a stack of games from my backlog, so I'm gonna go through them and figure out which ones I want to play and which ones I wanna drop.

Anyone know any short RPGs I can power through? :3[/QUOTE]

Wow...just wow.... You didn't like playing DDS1??? That was my first SMT PS2 game and I thoroughly enjoyed it, can't say the same for the sequel though, and I love Nocturne too. And I'm still burnt out on the Persona games after putting in 120 in on P3, that damn grinding and mindless random dungeons made me sick of them for quite awhile now (I played it in 2008 last and I'm still not eager to play P4 or P3:FES yet)

Yeah short and RPG aren't too words I associate together, I have to go through and finish the last two Xenosaga games one of these days, but I'm going to cheat my way through 2 because I hate that games fighting system (they borked it from the first combat system in the first game) I just want to play and see the story is all.

Y's Ark of Napishtim maybe? The Shadowhearts games can be gotten through in around 40-ish hours without too much grinding and getting the side quests done.

[quote name='surak']Is there such a thing as a short PS2 RPG? I remember Okage: Shadow King was kind of short, but can't think of any others. Having played Suikoden III semi-recently, it was crazy how bloated in every way it was compared to the PSOne Suikodens. Really a pervasive disease that seemed to hit all RPGs last generation.[/QUOTE]

Okage is a game I forced myself to finish, and even then I had to Action Replay it to get done, because it ramps the difficulty up so high in the later stages that it's impossible to finish without massive attack spells to kill the enemies, that's only 1 of 4 games I've ever sold out of my PS2 collection and I don't miss it one bit.

If an RPG = Grindfest, that means I have little to no interest in playing it, I almost can't tolerate grinding unless it has some cool hook to it or doesn't do something completely new or unseen before.

About 40 hours in most games and I'm ready to play something else, sadly enough, unless it's something really, really good.

I just got a PS2 and a handful of games off of some lady walking out of my local used games store after they wouldn't take it. It works fine, which I was kind of scared about, but I've been playing the crap out of it. Pretty much the only decent game that came with it was Bully, which I'd never played before, it's awesome. I've been thinking about selling it and buying the 360 one though. I also picked up Mercenaries 2 which isn't that great compared to the first one but still good.

I bought Scarface a couple of weeks ago and I decided to give it a play through. So far it's not very good but I kind of want to see where this add-on to the Scarface story goes.

Okay, I finished Siren New Translation for the PS3 and needed more so I started playing the original Siren. It's pretty frustrating, and I have a feeling the worst is yet to come since I'm obsessive and NEED to get every weapon and archive item.

Finished up the first 3 Onimusha's wife found me a complete copy of Dawn of Dreams so will probably power up my slightly used (only have played 2hrs of Persona 3 on it before just playing the games on my PS3) and get some time in on that.

[quote name='uncle5555']Wow...just wow.... You didn't like playing DDS1??? That was my first SMT PS2 game and I thoroughly enjoyed it, can't say the same for the sequel though, and I love Nocturne too. And I'm still burnt out on the Persona games after putting in 120 in on P3, that damn grinding and mindless random dungeons made me sick of them for quite awhile now (I played it in 2008 last and I'm still not eager to play P4 or P3:FES yet)

Yeah short and RPG aren't too words I associate together, I have to go through and finish the last two Xenosaga games one of these days, but I'm going to cheat my way through 2 because I hate that games fighting system (they borked it from the first combat system in the first game) I just want to play and see the story is all.

Y's Ark of Napishtim maybe? The Shadowhearts games can be gotten through in around 40-ish hours without too much grinding and getting the side quests done.
[/QUOTE]

I'm ~16 hours into DDS1. Checked a FAQ and it seems I'm close to the ending, but I just don't care about it anymore, so I dropped it. I hated Ys and Shadow Hearts (yeah, both the first one AND Covenant), so whatever. Looks like I'm just gonna have to start going through every game in my backlog. It was gonna have to happen sooner or later. @_@

Gave up on Crash of the Titans. Started GTA Vice City stories again after not having touched it since February. Might play that a little to see if I enjoy it and then move on to either Odin Shere or R&C: Deadlocked (the only ratchet/clank game I havent played). I need to get the two R&C psp to ps2 ports though.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']I'm ~16 hours into DDS1. Checked a FAQ and it seems I'm close to the ending, but I just don't care about it anymore, so I dropped it. I hated Ys and Shadow Hearts (yeah, both the first one AND Covenant), so whatever. Looks like I'm just gonna have to start going through every game in my backlog. It was gonna have to happen sooner or later. @_@[/QUOTE]

All I can say is you must have very finicky tastes...I'd be surprised if you're almost done with DDS1 at only 16 hours in, there's some grinding in the game to get the better spells but you'd know better than me where you're at. But as I said if you're hating on some pretty good (in my personal opinion) RPG's I think it's time to move onto a genre you like then and sell those games to someone who's gonna appreciate them (or like them period). Since it seems like you don't in either case.

I'm currently in the waterways, just before fighting cerberus or w/e. Close to entering the Brutes' stronghold, and then off to Nirvana.

No need to worry. I sold/traded Ys and both Shadow Hearts and will be returning Digital Devil Saga 1+2 next time I head into Gamestop (30-day return due to buying them from their site).

And just because I don't like DDS/Ys/Shadow Hearts, I don't like RPGs in general? Damn, you had me fooled. Off the top of my head, some good RPGs on the PS2 I've played are: Disgaea, Rogue Galaxy, Xenosaga, Valkyrie Profile 2, Jade Cocoon 2, Persona 3/4, Mana Khemia, Final Fantasy X/XII. RPGs are my favorite genre. No need to get butthurt since I don't like your faves.

After the Brute's Boss your at least 3 boss battles away from the final boss. Did you do the extra boss fight ? 16 hours is pretty short my playthrough is at least 50 hours long (been downloadinging all the skills)

Been replaying Raw Danger as the first character, hate that I lost the hand-crank thing so early in the game :cry: Then I can begin the rest of the game :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Nah, I didn't do any extra boss fights. Anyway, I just read through the plot summaries of both on Wikipedia. Cool stuff. Too bad I couldn't stand the characters/gameplay to experience it on my own.

I think I'm gonna put Grandia II next on my list of games to play, right after Shining Force EXA. Apparently the battle system is godly? /excitement

[quote name='DarkSageRK']I'm currently in the waterways, just before fighting cerberus or w/e. Close to entering the Brutes' stronghold, and then off to Nirvana.

No need to worry. I sold/traded Ys and both Shadow Hearts and will be returning Digital Devil Saga 1+2 next time I head into Gamestop (30-day return due to buying them from their site).

And just because I don't like DDS/Ys/Shadow Hearts, I don't like RPGs in general? Damn, you had me fooled. Off the top of my head, some good RPGs on the PS2 I've played are: Disgaea, Rogue Galaxy, Xenosaga, Valkyrie Profile 2, Jade Cocoon 2, Persona 3/4, Mana Khemia, Final Fantasy X/XII. RPGs are my favorite genre. No need to get butthurt since I don't like your faves.[/QUOTE]

I'm not getting butthurt as you so politely put it, but since you wanna be an ass, I'll call it as I see it, that you have (mostly) $#!% taste in good RPG's. ;) Jade Cocoon 2, Mana Khemia, Disgaea...good games, really, that's news to me. Yeah, but I guess one guys shite is another guys shinola. :roll:

Anyway I'm not going to argue semantics, :whistle2:# over your opinions of what you think is good and what me and a majority of others deem are quality games, I'd rather being playing a game or doing something more constructive than being an @$$ to someone who I don't know, who was just trying to be polite and find out why you thought some highly regarded RPG's were less than impressive.

But since you decided to be rude, I could care less now, and also since I see how your taste falls in line that tells me more than enough to answer my original question. Good day sir. :wave:

Edit: And before the NIS, Gust bandwagon comes rolling in with the torches and pitchforks to burn me to death, if you like those games more power to ya, I get sick of seeing the same sprite ripped T-RPG, flavor from these small studios. I personally love FFT, and Front Mission, but those were unique titles in that genre of games and if it doesn't bring anything new to the table then I pass on it, anyway, no offense to those that do like them, but I said my piece and I'm sticking with my comments meant solely for the wonderful and extremely polite Dark Sage. ;)

Playing (sorta) Odin Shere and GTA Vice City Stories. Tempted to send both to goozex or ebay. I don't understand why Ar Tonelico 1 seems to be worth 500 points on goozex though.

Is 500 points high? I still have a new/sealed Ar Tonelico 1 here that I'll probably never get around to playing. fucking cartoons, or whatever the game is about sounded cool but I don't have time and likely won't for years if ever.

I have Suikoden V and Sakura wars. Which would you guys recommend playing first? I also have Shadow Hearts 3, it's terrible compared to its predecessors. I almost beat it until I got pokemon, haven touched SH since. And I *may" get to Star Ocean 3, havent touched that since its release. I think I got to the final dungeon and died...a lot, and then never got back to playing. >_>

I bought a PS2 about one year ago today, and I use it for FFX, FFX-2, FFXII, Mana Khemia 1 &2, Time Splitters 2 and Time Splitters Future Perfect, and a few other miscellaneous games, but I don't play most of them on a regular basis.

Currently replaying Persona 4, started Dragon Quest Journey of the Cursed King (not far in but I know I'm going to love this game), and still playing Drakenard 2 inbetween the other two games.

bread's done
Back