Anybody still playing PS2? What games are you playing?

I played some Tokyo Xtreme Racer - Drift a couple days ago. It's an interesting blend of regular TXR games (racing with a lifebar that shrinks if your opponent gets in front of you) and Initial D (racing on narrow, twisty mountain roads with lots of drifting). Like all the TXR games, there's an ocean of content that I'll probably never get to. I can't imagine how hard it must get. I'm occasionally struggling in a Corolla with ~130 hp, I can't imagine climbing into a Supra.

Bought, and beat, 'Quantum of Solace' the other day. Amazon had it for $10, which was cheap enough for me to finally bite, since I've wanted it ever since I heard it was worlds better than the next-gen counterparts.

Truth be told, it was much better than the PS3/360 versions... but I also had a total playtime of 3 hours and 45 minutes. Yikes.

Still, felt nice to dust off the old PS2 for a session, which then led to some FirePro and Smackdown sessions, because even years later addictions are strong. ;)

Finally beat Tales of the Abyss last week. Good game but not my favorite entry to the series. It's one of those games I'd been playing off n' on for over a year. It feels satisfying to finally beat it.

I recently bought Clock Tower 3 for ~$4 but havent gotten around to play it yet. I'll probably try it again around Halloween

I just bought a ps2 again after having one from when they were current gen I can say that I'm glad I bought a ps2 again. I'm back playing GTA:VC, and I'm also been playing Hot Shots Golf 3. The PS2 is a great system, I don't really care if I'm playing the brand new game or anything so I might as well save some money. I can always buy the new games coming out now when they get to be bargains.

[quote name='Halo05']I played some Tokyo Xtreme Racer - Drift a couple days ago. It's an interesting blend of regular TXR games (racing with a lifebar that shrinks if your opponent gets in front of you) and Initial D (racing on narrow, twisty mountain roads with lots of drifting). Like all the TXR games, there's an ocean of content that I'll probably never get to. I can't imagine how hard it must get. I'm occasionally struggling in a Corolla with ~130 hp, I can't imagine climbing into a Supra.[/QUOTE]

Just a little aside, I remember playing Tokyo Xtreme Racer Zero back almost a decade ago and still really want to relive that game. It sort of slipped my mind until you just mentioned the series, so I thank you!!!

I've been playing through (for the first time...) the Metal Gear Solid saga. Beat the first, which was wonderful, even twelve years later, and now am on MGS2: Substance. Also trying to finish Shadow of the Colossus. I had it a few years ago and sold it, after only getting to the ninth colossus, so I really want to enjoy the whole game.

Picked up an old Rogue Galaxy saved game about a month ago... always meant to get my money's worth out of that one. My saved game was only about three planets in, about 15 hours. Loving this game... went from about 15 hours to 30.

I was soured a little on Level-5 (the developer) after Dark Cloud 2, which threw everything but the kitchen sink at you from almost the very beginning, and had frustrating "missable" photo opportunities (hell for completionists like me, having to check FAQs and revert to old saves just to get decent inventor ideas). It was like an item management menu game with a little "real game" on the side.

RG is much more forgiving with respect to letting you go back and experiment with new things (rather than yank away opportunities randomly), but also has a nice, robust item system with multiple uses for various items. The wealth of things you can do in this game is amazing, and the battle system is more refined than Dark Cloud, with more interesting maps and environments.

RG also lets you into its wealth of game styles more gently. (Insector tournaments, Factory Assembly Building, weapon fusion, Quarries) ... It's also nice to play a game with such a large budget. The art style is still nice to look at after all these years.

Battle reminds me a little of FFXII, but a little more actiony. Like FFXII, I find myself actually looking forward to the battles because there's so much to experiment with as your weapons level up and gain elemental properties. If any of you haven't played this game and enjoy a good JRPG, I'd recommend picking it up used. The story is not exactly groundbreaking, but there are a few really good voice actors (the actor for Deego in particular is kind of understated).

Glad to see RG come up, I loved that game. The plot was enough to keep me interested in the story, but my favorite part was the Quarries. I think I 100%ed the quarries and monster hunting because it was so enjoyable. The only problem was doing all the quarries makes your characters too overleveled for the final part of the game.

I finished playing through God of War for the first time a few days ago, and now I'm on Devil May Cry. Once I'm done I plan on starting an RPG, most likely Xenosaga since I just got it used the other day for three bucks.

I'm about to finish off Rogue Galaxy, story so far has been great and kept me in the going. There hasn't been a lull story wise through out the game which is a good thing. Most RPG's these days end up boring me and I lose interest in them(FFXIII being an example). I'll probably finish off Rogue Galaxy tonight.

I did pick up a few more games though:
Twisted Metal: Black
Mortal Combat Deception
Yakuza
Kingdom Hearts

I have no idea why people covet this version? It's controls are insane and the game plays WAAAAAYYYYY to fast. I loved the original PSX ones but this one is a nightmare to control and target opponents. Wife wanted the game because she was a hardcore Twisted Metal player and even she couldn't tag an opponent. This is going to require more practice from both of us.

She's been playing Kingdom Hearts while I'm finishing up RG. Next up will be Yakuza for a little RPG break before tackling DQVIII. Couldn't find God Hand, and I don't wanna pay more than $10 bucks for a PS2 game(its $22+ used, even on Amazon).

Well just beat Rogue Galaxy, and after that final battle, the ending was well deserved. A very good and enjoying game, just sad to see it end as I invested quite a bit of time into it.

Now onto Yakuza, take a side break from RPG's before I tackle DQVIII.

Decided to play through The Bouncer again, this time completing it with everyone, and maxing out everything. I beat it using Sion and Volt with no problems, but the final boss with Kou is impossible, despite his rank (B) being higher than Sion (D) and Volt's (C). :(

After gun corrupted one of my saved games I started (I'm emberassed to say this) X2 Wolverine's Revenge. Got it at that game crazy sale for $2.

I started a game of Wild Arms 4 a few months ago but put it on hold. I was enjoying it and think I'll get back into it since I'm done with current gen stuff at the moment.

Playing FFX again. It's such a great game, although filled with cheese and terrible VA from Tidus (is it Tee-dus or Ty-dus??). How is it that this game, which was released 10 years ago, looks so much better than the shit produced for the current generation? :lol:

Venting and ranting ahead.

I was enjoying the Jak and Daxter series but something happened just now that makes me hate this series.

The first game was pretty good but I hated the driving level with the rings and that you had to get all the Power Cells to get the real ending ... which wasn't even a full ending.

Jak 2 has some really fun levels (loved shooting the turrent gun at those eggs) and the story was good. That was until I was forced to drive in that city over and over and over and over again (like Grand Theft Auto without the fun). It took FOREVER to get to a destination and to make things worse, there's a moment where are forced to drive within a time limit. It was so frustrating I stopped playing.

Speaking of frustration, here comes Jak 3. It had the same tone and humor I liked from the previous games. It also had the same ANNOYING driving missions. A few minutes ago I was driving the first racing level and I was at the "Game Over" screen. You know you're playing something bad when the AI that takes over the driving drives so horribly that Jak drives off a cliff into the water below. I think it took 30 minutes for me to beat that level.

It took me another 5 minutes later to shut the game off when I had yet another racing level. Fortunately, it wasn't in a car. Unfortunately, it was on this animal that controls bad in a different way. And lo and behold, it involves those rings I couldn't stand in Jak 1. Now I get to crash into the enviroment and jump to where I'm constantly going OVER the rings.

I can't even begin to imagine how bad Jak X Racing could be. I seriously hope the Ratchet and Clank games don't turn out like this.

Whew, that felt good to get off my chest. Thanks for reading.

I loved Jak and Daxter 1 to death. Amazing platformer. I couldn't stand Grand Theft Jak aka Jak 2, I played a few "missions" and hated the setup of the game to death as well as the overall tone of the game. I hear Jak 3 is even worse. True 3D platform/adventure games are dead now apparently.

[quote name='Luriden']I loved Jak and Daxter 1 to death. Amazing platformer. I couldn't stand Grand Theft Jak aka Jak 2, I played a few "missions" and hated the setup of the game to death as well as the overall tone of the game. I hear Jak 3 is even worse. True 3D platform/adventure games are dead now apparently.[/QUOTE]

It's a real shame because there were some fun ideas in there with the guns and camera angles affecting gameplay. If you took away the driving levels, you would have some great sequels. It's too bad they wouldn't let you play as Daxter (and if you do, I didn't have the patience to get to the level).

What are your thoughts on Ratchet and Clank? I personally liked the first game a lot with the exception of the [increasingly difficult] puzzles.

In the meantime, I'm switching between Devil May Cry 3 (too hard but still kind of fun) and Resident Evil: Dead Aim (lame story but nice graphics and gameplay elements).

[quote name='Cage017']

What are your thoughts on Ratchet and Clank? I personally liked the first game a lot with the exception of the [increasingly difficult] puzzles.

[/QUOTE]

I've played :ps2: R&C2: Going Commando, :ps2: R&C3: Up Your Arsenal, and :psp: R&C: Size Matters. All of them are great games imo that I really enjoyed.

Currently, I just started Disgaea, and I am enjoying that game so much I didn't know how much time went by causing me to miss a whole football game on TV.

[quote name='Cage017']Venting and ranting ahead.

I was enjoying the Jak and Daxter series but something happened just now that makes me hate this series.

The first game was pretty good but I hated the driving level with the rings and that you had to get all the Power Cells to get the real ending ... which wasn't even a full ending.

Jak 2 has some really fun levels (loved shooting the turrent gun at those eggs) and the story was good. That was until I was forced to drive in that city over and over and over and over again (like Grand Theft Auto without the fun). It took FOREVER to get to a destination and to make things worse, there's a moment where are forced to drive within a time limit. It was so frustrating I stopped playing.

Speaking of frustration, here comes Jak 3. It had the same tone and humor I liked from the previous games. It also had the same ANNOYING driving missions. A few minutes ago I was driving the first racing level and I was at the "Game Over" screen. You know you're playing something bad when the AI that takes over the driving drives so horribly that Jak drives off a cliff into the water below. I think it took 30 minutes for me to beat that level.

It took me another 5 minutes later to shut the game off when I had yet another racing level. Fortunately, it wasn't in a car. Unfortunately, it was on this animal that controls bad in a different way. And lo and behold, it involves those rings I couldn't stand in Jak 1. Now I get to crash into the enviroment and jump to where I'm constantly going OVER the rings.

I can't even begin to imagine how bad Jak X Racing could be. I seriously hope the Ratchet and Clank games don't turn out like this.

Whew, that felt good to get off my chest. Thanks for reading.[/QUOTE]

I liked them progressively more and more. The driving was always a little off but the run and gun stuff just got better and better.

[quote name='Cage017']It's a real shame because there were some fun ideas in there with the guns and camera angles affecting gameplay. If you took away the driving levels, you would have some great sequels. It's too bad they wouldn't let you play as Daxter (and if you do, I didn't have the patience to get to the level).

In the meantime, I'm switching between Devil May Cry 3 (too hard but still kind of fun) and Resident Evil: Dead Aim (lame story but nice graphics and gameplay elements).[/QUOTE]

I loved the first R&C. But after that it's the same game again and again. I liked the first PS3 game but I'm now set until the PS4. It's the kind of game that only innovates once every technology cycle.

I'm currently playing Resident Evil: Code Veronica X on my PS2.

I recently played through God of War 1 and 2 on it and have played Silent Hill 2-4 and Origins on it so many times.

The original "Siren".

If Dead Space made you need a new pair pants, Siren will make you mop the floor...

And probably make you throw a controller at the wall (very hard, trial and error gameplay).

I'm actually replaying the Legacy of Kain series, starting with Soul Reaver on the Dreamcast, but then Soul Reaver 2, Blood Omen 2, and Defiance on the PS2.

I'm slowly working my way through the backlog of RPG's. Who knows if I'll ever make it through them all.

Currently I'm working on Shadow Hearts: From the New World. I didn't like it the first time I tried it, but this time I'm enjoying it for what is instead of hating because it wasn't what I thought it should be. I'm not taking it too seriously and just enjoying the goofy story and characters. I like the way there are lots of little side things you can do.

After this one, I'll think I'll finally get to Suikoden V.

I still have most of my PS2 library (well, over all consoles/systems) to complete - currently I am playing Lego Star Wars 1, 2 and Lego Indiana Jones 1 with my son on the PS2 and having a lot of fun.

I'm just trying to complete games that have sequels out/coming out on PS3 so I can be rid of the console.

Just played through Shadow of the Colossus, Zone of the Enders, and am working on the Jak series.

(Okay no sequel to Jak or Zone of the Enders officially announced yet...but come on.)

Just picked up Kingdom Hearts on the Amazon sale. And a disc only copy of Gran Turisimo 3 from GS for $1.99! Hooked up the PS2 for the first time in two years!

[quote name='dkfugate']I'm just trying to complete games that have sequels out/coming out on PS3 so I can be rid of the console.

Just played through Shadow of the Colossus, Zone of the Enders, and am working on the Jak series.

(Okay no sequel to Jak or Zone of the Enders officially announced yet...but come on.)[/QUOTE]

Sadly, I don't think we're ever going to see a ZOE sequel -- the fact is the game didn't sell well, and the first not being particularly good didn't help sales of the second one (which was much better).

It's Kojima's IP so the possibility exists but I see Konami probably pushing him towards reviving its own franchises such as the recently released Castlevania.

still playing ps2. 90 hours into p3 FES, and still have a while to go. tons of ps2 rpgs to play through still. thinking about just getting rid of some of them, just don't have the time

Finally started playing Final Fantasy X-2. Not quite used to the lightning-fast battle system yet, but I'm enjoying it so far.

Still have about 20 games yet to be played.

Playing Resident Evil: Outbreak. I stayed away from it because of the criticism it got, but even offline it's so much fun. Looking forward to unlocking Lone Wolf Mode though, those NPCs are pretty useless.

I still play my PS2 and enjoy it very much. I'd never dream of getting rid of it. It still has the absolute best library of games, in my opinion. I just finished playing God Hand and now I'm debating on whether I'm going to give Final Fantasy XII another chance or play Okami.

I've actually been stocking up on PS2 games that I missed or neglected to buy when they came out. It's nice that the games are all pretty cheap. I got 6 games for around 80 bucks a few weeks ago. Kind of sad, really, since my backlog of games was already shameful. Now it's just growing and growing.

What kind of setup are you using to play the PS2 games. They look like crap on my HDTV and I don't have a SDTV to use. I was thinking of using an emulator but I found I had to mess with the settings a lot and I could never get my playstation controller to work. On the other hand the games I tried did work and looked great. And these were store bought disk games not pirated crap.

Anyway I just want to know if there is someway I can make the games look good on a HDTV. I'm using a ps2 slim with a hdmi cable on a 42 inch samsung hdtv. The last game I tried was Dragon Quest 8. I couldn't make out faces, it was like someone hit them with bat. It just looked all around bad. I played the first few hours on a SDTV and it looked fine on that. Unfortunately I don't have the SDTV any more.

[quote name='Baron O Hell']What kind of setup are you using to play the PS2 games. They look like crap on my HDTV and I don't have a SDTV to use. I was thinking of using an emulator but I found I had to mess with the settings a lot and I could never get my playstation controller to work. On the other hand the games I tried did work and looked great. And these were store bought disk games not pirated crap.

Anyway I just want to know if there is someway I can make the games look good on a HDTV. I'm using a ps2 slim with a hdmi cable on a 42 inch samsung hdtv. The last game I tried was Dragon Quest 8. I couldn't make out faces, it was like someone hit them with bat. It just looked all around bad. I played the first few hours on a SDTV and it looked fine on that. Unfortunately I don't have the SDTV any more.[/QUOTE]I use a GameStop-branded Mad Catz universal component(red, green, blue) cable and the games look great on my 32-inch Dynex HDTV. Every pixel on the wrestlers in Fire Pro Wrestling Returns is clear and defined. Give a set of component cables a try and see if the picture quality improves.:cool::cool::cool:

[quote name='BlueSwim']I use a GameStop-branded Mad Catz universal component(red, green, blue) cable and the games look great on my 32-inch Dynex HDTV. Every pixel on the wrestlers in Fire Pro Wrestling Returns is clear and defined. Give a set of component cables a try and see if the picture quality improves.:cool::cool::cool:[/QUOTE]

I'll give it a try. I guess if it doesn't work I'll just be out a few dollars.

bread's done
Back