Anybody still playing PS2? What games are you playing?

I just started RED DEAD REVOLVER for the first time last night. Good fun, and looks pretty decent on the HDTV w/ components.

Still working on GOD OF WAR, too. Oh, and DJ HERO (among other music games).

I Love the PS2 System and I would never give it up and throw it away when I have played all the games that have sequels out on the PS3 the PS2 is the best console out there right now I mean yes its outdated these days thanks to wonderful engines in the 360 and PS3 but you also can not deny what came before it and some games still look new on the PS2 I myself have an HDTV as well and some of the games still look amazing but so on I will always play games on the PS2 even if I have the newer gens because that would be like forgetting the past and that is a dangerous thing to do!

[quote name='saberz']
I have no idea why people covet this version? It's controls are insane and the game plays WAAAAAYYYYY to fast. I loved the original PSX ones but this one is a nightmare to control and target opponents. Wife wanted the game because she was a hardcore Twisted Metal player and even she couldn't tag an opponent. This is going to require more practice from both of us.
[/QUOTE]

I feel the same way. I loved twisted metal 1 and 2 but I tried Black and gave up after 15 minutes. I tried picking it up again but my mind still hasn't changed. It's too fast, requiring you to drive around too much.

Found a copy of the Guy Game at GS. It's kind of fun but unfortunately the girls aren't pretty. Anyone holding onto a copy just to have it in your collection? Since this game was yanked off the shelves I wonder if it'll ever be a game that's rare and coveted.

Currently playing Blood Will Tell. It's just average - it's kind of neat to defeat the demon bosses and get rewarded with a human body part but the fights are kind of boring and the camera is crap.

so im dusting off this thread just as i dusted off my PS2. i weeded through my games and im making realistic decisions about what games i really want to play and constructed a list. this isnt a bad idea either because between PS2, PS3, PSP, PC and 360 the backlog is becoming gross. so im trimming the fat selling the games im done with and finishing the games i havent completed yet. the only new games i plan on buying this year so far is Max Payne 3 and Witcher 2 so i really hope to end this PS2 madness by year end. here is said list of games i have/need to finish. in no particular order.

GTA Vice City Stories (played for a few hours)
Hitman Blood Money (few hours deep)
Ratchet and Clank (2 hours in)
God of War 2 (must be around half way)
FF12 (never played)
Persona 3 FES (few hours in probably one of my favorite rpgs)
Kingdom Hearts 2 (never played)
The Suffering: Ties that Bind (never played but loved the first game)
Gun (few hours in)
Yakuza (never played)
Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams
Sly Cooper 2
Splinter Cell:Chaos Theory

and there it is. my goal is to complete that list by the end of this year. then i'll tackle my much much shorter PSP list.

My backlog is way worse so don't feel too bad.

With the recent news on Silent Hill: Downpour, I was getting ready to reconnect the PS2 and start Silent Hill 3. I've been in more of a sell mode than a play mode as of late ( in fact I was thinking of switching out my copies of Max Payne 1 and 2 for the 360 editions).

I'm sure a lot of us still have a PS2 backlog. Its a great system.

Right now I am playing Rogue Galaxy, and I am planning on starting Yakuza.

so today i started Yakuza and im on chapter 3. so far im freakin loving this game cant believe i havent played it until now. i plan on powering through this game and hopefully be done by the weekend.

I started Yakuza this weekend and got into Ch. 4. It reminds me of GTA and True Crime: LA. Very story heavy which is what I like.

speaking of yakuza..........im near the end of chapter 10 and i wanna rip my face off. i love the story and even the brutal fighting but this one part is INSANE. the odds are completely against me. tons of guys (with guns) hardly any health and a shitty checkpoint. this is going to take some serious effort on my part to see this game through.

[quote name='sublime90']speaking of yakuza..........im near the end of chapter 10 and i wanna rip my face off. i love the story and even the brutal fighting but this one part is INSANE. the odds are completely against me. tons of guys (with guns) hardly any health and a shitty checkpoint. this is going to take some serious effort on my part to see this game through.[/QUOTE]

Can you exit the mission, go buy health and come back?

[quote name='sublime90']speaking of yakuza..........im near the end of chapter 10 and i wanna rip my face off. i love the story and even the brutal fighting but this one part is INSANE. the odds are completely against me. tons of guys (with guns) hardly any health and a shitty checkpoint. this is going to take some serious effort on my part to see this game through.[/QUOTE]

Oh man, I remember that part. Easily the single hardest part in the game. I somehow managed to beat it on first try with only 1 hit worth of life left after using literally every single health potion in my inventory and on the roof, but I could've just as easily died and probably get so frustrated that I quit the game forever.

The trick is that you should've bought a Kevlar Vest (which I assume you don't have), which makes it so you can't get knocked down by bullets anymore. That's it. It's still kind of a pain to hit Nagase because he's so agile, but you can just power through and chug the occasional potion like you do with any other battle. Of course, you don't know that if you didn't read a guide, and there's no way to backtrack at this point. If you can't make it past this part and didn't use multiple save slots, you're boned.

The developers realized this was the single most bullshit boss in the game, so they removed the knockdown effect that bullets have from all subsequent games. The lock-on feature also works now, and the loading times are instantaneous. Yakuza 1 is easily the worst game in the series, so if this part has really soured you on the game, don't dismiss the sequels just yet.

Anyway, I recently got back into Shadow Hearts II which I quit like... I dunno... 7 years ago because I got stuck at this boss with a guaranteed insta-death attack at the end of every combo. Apparently I sucked at RPGs at the time because when I loaded up my save, my characters didn't even have the best equipment yet even though I was standing right next to a shop. They were also selling accessories that prevented insta-death, but I guess I must've missed those or simply didn't wanna spend the money.

So anyway, I bought all the stuff that I needed, did some grinding to get a feel for the battle system again, and managed to beat the boss without any real effort. It's been alright so far, though it's not quite my type of RPG. It's very much in the same vein as FFX and I prefer my turn-based RPGs less story and more exploration-driven like Dragon Quest. We'll see if I actually make it to the end or not.

One thing I will say is that it has one of the most awesome battle themes of all time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p_SFBS-UCc

I'm playing Persona 3 (FES) on my PS2 for the first time and absolutely loving it. I'm around 30 hours in and I think this just might be my favorite JRPG of all time..

Honestly though I was aware of em, I never played a single Shin Megami Tensei game before.

Anyways, playing the PS2 is also reminding me the joy of playing games simply for fun, not for achievements and all the other mumbo jumbo that goes on today but purely for enjoyment. It's refreshing.

This weekend, I just played through this part. It is very difficult with the knockdown from a gunshot. I retried several times and it wasn't until I thought what does this Staminan Spark (full health + heat) do, that I was finally able to get through it.

I didn't find a bullet proof vest as someone else suggested. So either I didn't find the right store or it is hidden in some optional quest or locker key.

[quote name='JeanLuc Awesome']I'm playing Persona 3 (FES) on my PS2 for the first time and absolutely loving it. I'm around 30 hours in and I think this just might be my favorite JRPG of all time..

Honestly though I was aware of em, I never played a single Shin Megami Tensei game before.

Anyways, playing the PS2 is also reminding me the joy of playing games simply for fun, not for achievements and all the other mumbo jumbo that goes on today but purely for enjoyment. It's refreshing.[/QUOTE]

This was also my first MegaTen game and now one of my all time favorite games. It is like a gateway drug to the others. Because of it I bought all the other Persona games for :ps2: and :psp: along with Nocturne and the Digital Devil Saga.

I have 3 PS2 games lined up in my backlog that I still need to play...

Dragonball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3
Transformers (based on the Armada cartoon)
Naruto: Ultimate Ninja

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='JeanLuc Awesome']I'm playing Persona 3 (FES) on my PS2 for the first time and absolutely loving it. I'm around 30 hours in and I think this just might be my favorite JRPG of all time..

Anyways, playing the PS2 is also reminding me the joy of playing games simply for fun, not for achievements and all the other mumbo jumbo that goes on today but purely for enjoyment. It's refreshing.[/QUOTE]

Amazing game...I would say its probably my favorite RPG of all time...just everything about it is perfect imo.

Im currently playing Persona 4 and a little bit of Nocturne. Once I knock one of those out I want to play Devil Summoner 2...bought the special edition version when it came out and didn't play it all that much.

[quote name='JeanLuc Awesome']I'm playing Persona 3 (FES) on my PS2 for the first time and absolutely loving it.[/QUOTE]
This is pretty much my situation right now :D

Also, back in April, I played and beat Soul Nomad & the World Eaters. Not Nippon Ichi's best, but still a good game.

There's still a handful of games left in my PS2 backlog, so I'll be playing that system for awhile yet.

I'm always playing Ps2; currently I'm playing Kingdom Hearts, and plan to play Kingdom Hearts 2 after I finish. One of the best systems out there with a plethora of great games.

Just picked up Marvel Ultimate Alliance for the PS2. Not sure if the online server's still active or not? And I got Gundam: Encounters in Space last week.

Currently going through Kingdom Hearts as well (will follow up with KH2).

Also playing SMT: Nocturne and will try to get through both DDS games and eventually Persona 4. Rogue Galaxy also on the list. Yeah it's going to take awhile...

Might also dip into Okami again too.

PS2 has so many good games, I find myself going back to it rather than playing my current gen systems.

Playing Silent Hill 4: The Room. Hate the first person view and the enemies that refuse to die. I'm also not sure why they couldn't keep the controls the same as the previous games in the series. Otherwise, it's an ok game.

I've been playing Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 lately. It's just as it used to be when I was younger and wasted countless hours beating these games with every character.

[quote name='JeanLuc Awesome']

Right there with ya. I was having an RPG craving and decided to check out the games I missed last gen. I picked up Persona 3 & 4, Digital Devil 1 & 2, Valkerie Profile 2, Stellla Deus & Shadow Hearts 2 in the last month and absolutely loving it. Beat P4 and starting on DDS.

[quote name='raiden_86']Right there with ya. I was having an RPG craving and decided to check out the games I missed last gen. I picked up Persona 3 & 4, Digital Devil 1 & 2, Valkerie Profile 2, Stellla Deus & Shadow Hearts 2 in the last month and absolutely loving it. Beat P4 and starting on DDS.[/QUOTE]

I need to get back to finishing my PS2 RPGs, of which I have a large collection. I've kinda gotten spoiled by the wireless controls of the current generation, and having to go back to a wired controller is somewhat of a deterrant. Also having my PS2 be occasionally wonky is another.

[quote name='TheLongshot']I need to get back to finishing my PS2 RPGs, of which I have a large collection. I've kinda gotten spoiled by the wireless controls of the current generation, and having to go back to a wired controller is somewhat of a deterrant. Also having my PS2 be occasionally wonky is another.[/QUOTE]

Yea the wireless controllers sure are nice. At first I was thinking of hunting down a wireless PS2 controller, but I heard they only have an 8 hour battery life. Then I borrowed a 6 foot controller extension cable, but that was too much. Now I'm used it and don't really mind. Whats with the wonky PS2?

[quote name='raiden_86']Yea the wireless controllers sure are nice. At first I was thinking of hunting down a wireless PS2 controller, but I heard they only have an 8 hour battery life. Then I borrowed a 6 foot controller extension cable, but that was too much. Now I'm used it and don't really mind. Whats with the wonky PS2?[/QUOTE]

I was spoiled a bit when I first got my PS2 I was able to get a wireless 3rd party controller for $10. It has since bit the dust and I haven't found a replacement.

As for my PS2, it is having issues reading discs. Many times it won't recognize that there is a disc in the console, or it takes a while for it to figure it out. Also, occasionally when I play it thinks I've taken out the disc, which includes more fiddling around sometimes.

Just picked up DOA2: Hardcore. Had DOA 3 and DOA Ultimate for the Xbox, but since I have my original Xbox and games in storage, I figured "what the heck" and got Hardcore for $3.99 at Gamestop.

I'm building up quite the backlog. Still have a ton of PS3 games to get through, but I've been in a retro fix with PS2 and Gamecube. I'm even itching to play Spider-Man 2: Enter Electro for the PSOne (never played it, only played the first Spidey game). WHERE DOES IT ENNNNND....??

I purchased a backwards-compatible PS3, got my PS2 collection in order (I have over 400 games- all in 2 binders, manuals in another box, I'll buy the cheapest copy of a game that I can afford). I've been playing GTA3. While I adored GTA4, I always had problems finishing the PS2 GTA games. So I'm going to finish those, maybe play some Bully or some JRPGs, and just have fun.

I've started playing Persona 3: FES on my PS3 about a week ago. I've been wanting to play it for years and finally got around to it.

I still occasionally put Vice City into my PS3, too. Backwards-compatible PS3's are a must have, man.

Tony Hawk 3 and Hitman 2 lately. Been looking for a small TV to replace my second monitor so I can get more time on the last gen systems without my eyes burning from playing them on the 42" TV.

i was playing alot of yakuza until i hit a fucking hard ass part where you need to battle waves of gunned goons up to a rooftop to fight more gunned goons and i keep getting smashed so moving on!

I finished up Persona 3: Portable this week (best RPG I've ever played in my 20+ years of gaming), so I eagerly jumped right in to The Answer part of P3:FES. I'm about four hours in and not feeling that compelled yet. I'm finding myself retreating out of dungeons at the earliest possible time since I'm afraid I'll get KO'ed and lose my progress. Can't say I really want to be doing so, but at with the hard difficulty setting being the only option for The Answer, I need to play it safe.

[quote name='sublime90']i was playing alot of yakuza until i hit a fucking hard ass part where you need to battle waves of gunned goons up to a rooftop to fight more gunned goons and i keep getting smashed so moving on![/QUOTE]

This was the hardest part of the game for me. It helps if you have the bullet proof vest (which I didn't have) and your inventory full of health items.

[quote name='BlueSwim']I finished up Persona 3: Portable this week (best RPG I've ever played in my 20+ years of gaming), so I eagerly jumped right in to The Answer part of P3:FES. I'm about four hours in and not feeling that compelled yet. I'm finding myself retreating out of dungeons at the earliest possible time since I'm afraid I'll get KO'ed and lose my progress. Can't say I really want to be doing so, but at with the hard difficulty setting being the only option for The Answer, I need to play it safe.[/QUOTE]

Persona 3 FES is one of my favorite games, and probably the best RPG I've played. The Answer is just a dungeon crawl with ramped up difficulty. If you really only liked the combat of P3 then you should enjoy The Answer.

Decided to give Yakuza a go, especially since it was rather cheap, unlike the sequel. I'm having some fun with it, even if the things I pick up break after a few hits. I don't mind the English voices, since the subtitles are a bit too small.

The last PS2 game I played was two summers ago (august 2011), and was Shadow Hearts From the new world. Really liked that game. Played like a "classic" JRPG.

I still own more PS2 games I want to play, for example, Yakuza 1&2, La pucelle:tactics, Final Fantasy 10 & 12... but since I own a xbox360 I don't play in another system :roll: .

I have Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories, Kingdom Hearts II, and Final Fantasy X in my PS2 backlog.

I've been debating if I should put the time in on the PS2 versions or just wait on the HD versions. 

I have Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories, Kingdom Hearts II, and Final Fantasy X in my PS2 backlog.

I've been debating if I should put the time in on the PS2 versions or just wait on the HD versions.
I've got all these plus persona 3 and 4. Debating whether I should just plunk down the $10 to play persona 3fes in HD on my ps3 or use my physical copy.

Ah, forgot about this thread ^_^;

Earlier this year, I played and beat Tales of the Abyss and Viewtiful Joe. Abyss I played for the first time, and Joe for the second on "Sweet" difficulty, since I could never beat it the first time around on "Kids".

As it stands now, I only have three more games left before I can consider myself to be "done" with the PS2: Valkyrie Profile 2, Sakura Wars: So Long My Love, and Persona 4. I know that last one is going to be an especially huge time sink, so I might not play it until next year, but the other two will probably be played sooner rather than later.

Mainly for the Shin Megami Tensei games. Also going to get Scarface, Godfather, FFX, Splinter Cell, DBX BT3, I could keep going.

bread's done
Back