Anybody still playing PS2? What games are you playing?

ps2 is still the console im putting any quality time into and currently im playing a rare horror game called Kuon. Im a big fan of the fatal frame series and this game has a lot of similar points yet is different and very fun! Been playing a few weeks. Ive played and beaten Dark Cloud 2, ZOE 2, Shadow Hearts 2, Drakan, Onimusha 3, and a few others this year, been fun!

[quote name='zkitaN']should i wait till i get P3/P4 before i play P3 FES or should i just play FES?[/quote]

P3 and P3 FES are the same game , FES is just the "complete" version of it. I would recommend (as its been recommend to me) to play P3 FES before you play P4. Both are great games but since P4 has some gameplay improvements over the P3 , it might be hard to go back and play the third game if you play the fourth game first.

On that note , I just started P3 FES myself. I almost done with the first month (April) and enjoying the game so far , even if its been taking some getting used to.

I just started P3 FES today and played for almost the whole day. Rare that it happens. It also made me order P4. This is really a great game, glad I didn't miss it just because it is PS2. It also plays flawlessly on my 80GB PS3, no issues so far.

Gran Turismo 4 is a pretty good racing game, it got me familar with a lot of different cars from all around the world.

I play Call of Duty 2 online once in a while, I can't beleive there is still people playing it online. I played COD3 too and it is just as good but I never went out and bought it.

I've also got the first three Ratchet and Clank games, they were my favorite when I was younger but now I never play them anymore.

GTA games are awesome!!!

Anyone still playing on-line? What games are worth checking out? I assume Madden is still going well, what else?

^I dunno about online^
Is God of War supposed to be fun? I played it for about 10 minutes and wasn't having very much fun mashing buttons.

Jak 3 is okay I guess, need to play more to be sure. fuck Daxter. When designing him they looked at Shadow the Hedgehoh, Crash Bandicoot, and Navi, and were like "We can top that".

Katamari is great.

Just started playing Shadow of the Colossus. I know I'll be flamed to death for saying this, but I think this game is vastly overhyped. I just beat my first two Colossi, and I'm thinking, "Is this all there is?" My retarded horse won't go where I want it to go half the time, the camera is horrible, and I'm sick of riding from point A to point B just to fight another boss without any adventuring/puzzling in between. It feels almost like a poor man's Zelda.

Does the gameplay change whatsoever after I get further into it, or is it pretty much this repetitive all the way through? I'm looking for a reason not to trade this in tomorrow.

ICO, sniper elite and persona 4 for me. ICO is a bit overhyped I think. The bad guys take like 5 minutes of run and pound (too long for this sytle of game). Partly fun but I wish I could just leave ICO I would get further. I just started and I am stuck after the first save point I fall down this wall and she can't follow there is a box on the other ledge I can move and some stairs behind a doorway that can't open for her to join me.

[quote name='PawnTakesKing']Just started playing Shadow of the Colossus. I know I'll be flamed to death for saying this, but I think this game is vastly overhyped. I just beat my first two Colossi, and I'm thinking, "Is this all there is?" My retarded horse won't go where I want it to go half the time, the camera is horrible, and I'm sick of riding from point A to point B just to fight another boss without any adventuring/puzzling in between. It feels almost like a poor man's Zelda.

Does the gameplay change whatsoever after I get further into it, or is it pretty much this repetitive all the way through? I'm looking for a reason not to trade this in tomorrow.[/quote]

I agree with you there. I really have no idea why so many gamers cream themselves just mentioning the game. It was good, but not "best game I have ever played, I will never be the same after this" good. I say just keep playing. The last boss is pretty epic.

[quote name='Blackout']I agree with you there. I really have no idea why so many gamers cream themselves just mentioning the game. It was good, but not "best game I have ever played, I will never be the same after this" good. I say just keep playing. The last boss is pretty epic.[/quote]

To me it was a case of it being just a great experience that everyone should check out. The sense of scale was amazing , and the soundtrack was great too. Totally fit the mood. The game really felt like an interactive movie at points. Sure the controls could be iffy at times , but to a point it added to the tense moments while fighting some of the battles. Plus as a game that really is at its simplest , a series of 16 boss fights , all but like 2 or 3 were fun and challenging to fight (boss 8 , the turtle , was probably the only one I never enjoyed).

[quote name='Doomed']
Is God of War supposed to be fun? I played it for about 10 minutes and wasn't having very much fun mashing buttons.[/QUOTE]

The God of War games pump me up like no other. The gameplay may not be as refined as Devil May Cry or Ninja Gaiden but Kratos entertains me to a much higher degree than just about any other protagonist in videogaming. Mashing buttons won't get you through the whole game (well maybe on the lowest difficulty, I haven't tried that). Even if you can't push through the whole game, you have to at least play through the Hydra battle. You'll know it when you get there.

[quote name='StarKnightX']To me it was a case of it being just a great experience that everyone should check out. The sense of scale was amazing , and the soundtrack was great too. Totally fit the mood. The game really felt like an interactive movie at points. Sure the controls could be iffy at times , but to a point it added to the tense moments while fighting some of the battles. Plus as a game that really is at its simplest , a series of 16 boss fights , all but like 2 or 3 were fun and challenging to fight (boss 8 , the turtle , was probably the only one I never enjoyed).[/quote]

Oh yeah no doubt it was a really good game. I'm just saying, it's over hyped up the ass. Some people think it's literally the greatest thing ever. It was a lot of fun, but it's not in my top games of all time list, or even in my top PS2 games list. But that's just me. I'm probably in the minority.

Shadow of the Colossus was probably my... I dunno, 4th favorite game of 2005 behind Splinter Cell : Chaos Theory, Resident Evil 4, and God of War. I remember playing it and wishing they had held off on it until the PS3 came out. The frame rate drops bothered me more than any gameplay issues.

I can't get enough Twisted Metal I guess. Since Twisted Metal Black has been GH and $20 for years and hasn't dropped at all to my knowledge, (outside of clearance maybe) I included it in my $10 World of Goo order to get FSS. Otherwise, WoG would be $15, which is the price I turned it down on from Steam. Meanwhile, SotC was $10, and GTA is really really cheap used.

I just picked up Twisted Metal Black used, copy was in really good shape. Not a whole lot different than the early versions, which is good.

I haven't finished it, but I really like Shadow of the Collosus. In fact I was pretty blown away by it. I just haven't had a lot of time to play it. It did take a little bit for me to get into it, but then it just clicked. There's something pretty incredible about the game. Something very unique and original about it. I love the atmosphere and the gameplay and it does get more challenging and fun as it goes. You're making me want to make the time to get back to it.

I have God of War 2 but only played it for, literally, like 2 minutes. I only tested it to make sure it worked. Seemed OK, I guess. I'm thinking it may not really be my cup of tea, but I'll give it some time when I get to it eventually.

Otherwise the main thing I play on PS2 is still DDR. Lately I'm playing DDR X, which I think is the best US release to date, aside from the awful announcer. I always turn the announcers off anyway, so not a big deal. Great DDR game if you like DDR, so pick it up if you haven't already. Cheap too!

I started Persona 3: FES and Dragonquest VIII over Christmas. Got rid of Dragonquest, and haven't played Persona since. I do like it, though. Too many other 360 games to play right now.

I'm playing Yakuza right now. I'm not sure what I'm going to play next, but I'll be playing ps2 for awhile until I get my ps3 fixed.

Right now I'm playing Mercenaries: World in Flames, GTA San Andreas, and Destroy All Humans 2. They're all really good sandboxy action games with good replayability.

[quote name='Blackout']I agree with you there. I really have no idea why so many gamers cream themselves just mentioning the game. It was good, but not "best game I have ever played, I will never be the same after this" good. I say just keep playing. The last boss is pretty epic.[/quote]

If you go in expecting the usual trappings of an action platformer (weapons of escalating intensity, enviornmental puzzles, cool gadgets) you're bound to be dissappointed.

SOTC is more of an experience then a game.

Just picked up Kingdom Hearts 2, God of War, and Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater at gamestop's buy 2 get 1 free sale.

This is going to be my last run until I hit next gen, I hope to knock all of these out this semester, but we will see.

I was messing around w/ odin sphere (1 hell of an amazing game) & Wild arms 4. last month

for some reason I just can't get into it no more.. after playing w/ PS3 & 360 months on end... plus visual just looks plain nasty on a 42" wide screen LCD. I need to 20" flat tube TV w/ S-video input.

I've been playing Persona 4. Awesome game. Also just got Ar Tonelico II w/ bonus RQ soundtrack, although I haven't even gotten around to playing the first one yet. Ah...backlog.

on the ps2 i mainly play DDR, and other rhythm games like Taiko, beatmania.
but its still a great system after all these years for survival horror fans, RPGs, and action games like god of war

I neglected to mention that I played Twisted Metal: Black, and it is nowhere close to the fun to be had in Twisted Metal: Head On: Extra Twisted Edition. I should have just got SotC or We ♥ Katamari. :whistle2:( I can't beat the first level, on pussy difficulty, with a friend in co-op! fuck!

Opened Viewtiful Joe on Friday. Damn, great style. I know it's a button-masher at heart but playing one level at a time my hands didn't hurt that much and it involved some strategy. God of War may get a second chance, I haven't played it since Christmas.

I finally have the time to really play METAL GEAR SOLID 2: Substance. Wow. I didn't think I'd played that much but I'm already
at the plant. Am I seriously 1/4 through? Snake: I eat a bowl of cigarettes and razorblades for breakfast. Raiden: I'm gonna go hide in a locker while being filled with angst.
Maybe I need another one of my METAL GEAR SOLID weekends. I beat MGS over a normal weekend, with President's day off I might be able to pull off beating MGS2. Although playing it on normal instead of very easy (IIRC that's what I played MGS on) could alter my playtime.

My next purchase will probably be Okami, followed by SotC or We ♥ Katamari. But first I'm finishing MGS2, MGS3, and VJ.

I just got Sly Cooper 2 (never played any of them before), and I really like it. It still has some platform game staples that I hate (breaking stuff to collect coins is kinda annoying, and there is NO fuckING WAY I'm collecting all 30 bottles in the level to unlock an ability), but it's a really fun game. The retarded hippo is kinda lame, but the other two characters are a bit more fun.

[quote name='Concealed Identity']I just got Sly Cooper 2 (never played any of them before), and I really like it. It still has some platform game staples that I hate (breaking stuff to collect coins is kinda annoying, and there is NO fuckING WAY I'm collecting all 30 bottles in the level to unlock an ability), but it's a really fun game. The retarded hippo is kinda lame, but the other two characters are a bit more fun.[/quote]

You're fine. The abilities suck anyways. Mostly useless.

[quote name='ChernobylCow']You're fine. The abilities suck anyways. Mostly useless.[/quote]

Nice one. I was pretty miffed when I was told I couldn't open a safe until I collected all of the bottles. Maybe I'm just a lazy(ass) gamer (new idea for a website?), because really I can't even be bothered to find all of the bottles using a FAQ, but I see it as a lazy way for programmers to artificially extend the gameplay of a game while only having to take one or two days to do it.

I pretty much spent the last 12 hours playing METAL GEAR SOLID 2. Problem is I kept getting discovered+game overs. That combined with breaks means I'm only on hour 7, and whne I started I was on hour 4 I think. Damn I suck. A great game so far, might surpass METAL GEAR SOLID as my favorite game ever. I just
killed Fatman
, how far am I % wise?

[quote name='pete5883']You are very early. Maybe 1/3?[/quote]
Yeah, I thought so. I hate how much that first part seemed like busywork.

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned (search isn't working for me right now for some reason), but Mercenaries is a freaking great game. Still has the best explosions I've seen in a game, better than anything I've seen on the newer consoles even. I somehow accidentally deleted a bunch of my saved games, so I'm gonna play this one over. Same with Resident Evil 4 (my saved games didn't get deleted, but I'm at a part that's fairly early in the game with barely any ammo and figured I should maybe just start over).

I just ordered Black as well, since I've been craving some gunplay.

I just picked up Rogue Galaxy at CC. It's one of those supposedly good PS2 games I missed because it was unfortunate enough to come out when I was already in full next-gen mode. Looking forward to popping it in.

it is a great time to grab a ps2 and ps2 games enjoy,
right now i am finishin gup my collection of ps2 games and looking hard to get stuff.
i am also playing smt: nocturne cool game, gonna take a while though. :)

[quote name='bvharris']I just picked up Rogue Galaxy at CC. It's one of those supposedly good PS2 games I missed because it was unfortunate enough to come out when I was already in full next-gen mode. Looking forward to popping it in.[/quote]

It's alright. Great character/art design. Fun voiceacting with a semi-predictable story path. The combat is very hands on but gets repetitive after while. The dungeons can grow stale after a while. I stopped playing because I wasn't having fun anymore. I give it an 8.0 ish.

I retired my PS2 last week. Made my sad, but it's going to enjoy console heaven with the DC in my room. I'll miss Frequency and Amplitude the most, but MLB Power Pro's was great and of course the MGS games.

I highly reccomend Frequency though to anyone who likes music games and want to see what we accomplished at HMX when we first started.

I can't put my PS2 to bed yet...because I'm grabbing SamSho anthology on March 10. I still have to play GoW, FFXII, and Rogue galaxy in my backlog.

[quote name='ChernobylCow']It's alright. Great character/art design. Fun voiceacting with a semi-predictable story path. The combat is very hands on but gets repetitive after while. The dungeons can grow stale after a while. I stopped playing because I wasn't having fun anymore. I give it an 8.0 ish.[/quote]

Thanks for the info. Probably worth the five bucks I paid for it then, even if I never finish it and it just ends up a pretty game on the shelf.

Been chipping away at Dragonball Z Budokai 3, and even though the 'Dragon World' mode has a bare-bones presentation, it does bring back childhood memories of watching the TV show. Graphics top anything the first two games could do as well. Are the Tenkaichi games even worth playing after this?

Currently trying to finish RE4 before 5 comes out.

Also, I've got some RPGs that I could only imagine having the time to play right now.
Star Ocean: Til the end of time
Rogue Galaxy
Shadow Hearts: Covenant
Radiata Stories

bread's done
Back