Anyone else NOT enjoying their Wii?

THPS

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Let's face it...the Wii is a huge console right now with people desperate to find one. I got mine at launch, but haven't really been ablel to see what the big deal is. Everywhere I look people are talking about the Wii and how good it is. Personally, I can't seem to get into it. The only game I got with it was Zelda, and so far that's been a chore to play with along with Wii Sports. Basically, Wii Sports didn't interest me too much, it feels like a compilation of mini games. Sure you have the Wii controller to use, but all that's different is that you move your arm slightly instead of pressing a button as you would on another console. Now onto Zelda...I'm not a big fan of Zelda, but I gave this one a shot. The beginning of it was definitely a chore to play. Performing useless simple tasks was all I really was able to do. Then yesterday I got to the point where I got the sword. That was fun, using the controller like a sword to slash enemies. I will say that I actually had a little bit of fun for the first time with this console. Then possible spoiler ahead..I only got ~2 hours into the game but I figure I'll put this as a spoiler anyway just incase
I got turned into the wolf which ended my fun. Now I have to perform more boring tasks, which is what I'm doing now. On top of that, I have to listen to that stupid monster that follows me chuckling over and over. Honestly, now I can see why people are breaking their TV's with their Wii-mote. Last night, this monster's chuckling was getting on my nerves so I slammed the Wiimote on the carpet and left it at that. I don't know why but it annoyed me that much..

Anyway, anyone else not enjoying their Wii? Or does anyone have suggestions for games? I was thinking of TC since I somewhat enjoyed the DS version, but I figure I'd have to use the Wiimote to play with it, which is another thing I cannot stand. I have a hard time even navigating menu's with that pointer because of its sensitivity. In order for the pointer to go from one side of the TV to the other, I have to move the Wiimote less than an inch to the side. I assume I can change the sensitivity, I'll look into that later.

Normally I am a huge Nintendo fan. With every other Nintendo console (NES, SNES, N64, ect), I have fond memories of the first time playing the console. I remember each vividly and have always enjoyed their other consoles. This one I just can't get into.

I'm thinking of selling this or giving it away, but I know games will soon come out that I will want to play (Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, ect) and then I'll have to buy another. But the hype surrounding this system and the trouble people are going through for it is making me want to go and give it to some kid and make his day, which is what I'll probably end up doing.

HMM...

Did you set it up correctly? How big is the TV and room? Playing all by yourself or with friends?

Try training and mii age game on the sports disc?

Synced the controllers correctly and told the system where the sensor bar is (above or below the TV)?

sell it on ebay and make a profit. when the new games come out next year, it should be easy to buy another console. im not a big zelda fan either but im about 4hrs into the game since i started yesterday and it is pretty fun. if you really dont like it, then either then sell everything or just the game. you can probably still make at least $60 selling a used console.

Me too. I think the people who are having the most fun with it are those without 360's or ps3's. *Shudder*

[quote name='derder']Me too. I think the people who are having the most fun with it are those without 360's or ps3's. *Shudder*[/quote]Heaven forbid.

But yeah, if you're having trouble using the Wiimote, I can see why you wouldn't be enjoying the system. It shouldn't be that difficult to control, though.

As far as games, Zelda, Madden, and TC are my top choices. Just schooled a guy in Madden while I was at EB yesterday. :D

[quote name='derder']Me too. I think the people who are having the most fun with it are those without 360's or ps3's. *Shudder*[/quote]

Can you provide support for this statement? Because basically it's a crock of s**t.

Personally this is the most fun i have had with a system since the Dreamcast came out.

Got to say, if you've never liked Zelda, playing a Zelda game might explain why you're not having much fun.

Im not having much fun with my Wii right now either.

Stupid finals next week ;)

There is a sensitivity setting for the wiimote you can set - also make sure you have enough distance between yourself and your set.

If all else fails sell it :)

[quote name='THPS']"I'm not a big fan of Zelda, but I gave this one a shot."

"I assume I can change the sensitivity, I'll look into that later."[/QUOTE]

Only getting one game that you aren't a fan is your first mistake. Unfortunately that's just asking for trouble.

Go to the Wii set up menu, go to sensitivity and do plus or minus. Having a bad set up will also hurt your enjoyment.

That said, I'm loving my Wii much more than my PS3 or Xbox 360. I love Zelda and have lots of fun with Wii Sports though.

[quote name='THPS']Let's face it...the Wii is a huge console right now with people desperate to find one. I got mine at launch, but haven't really been ablel to see what the big deal is. Everywhere I look people are talking about the Wii and how good it is. Personally, I can't seem to get into it. The only game I got with it was Zelda, and so far that's been a chore to play with along with Wii Sports. Basically, Wii Sports didn't interest me too much, it feels like a compilation of mini games. Sure you have the Wii controller to use, but all that's different is that you move your arm slightly instead of pressing a button as you would on another console. Now onto Zelda...I'm not a big fan of Zelda, but I gave this one a shot. The beginning of it was definitely a chore to play. Performing useless simple tasks was all I really was able to do. Then yesterday I got to the point where I got the sword. That was fun, using the controller like a sword to slash enemies. I will say that I actually had a little bit of fun for the first time with this console.[/QUOTE]

Twilight Princess is admittedly a bit of a slow starter. It reminds me, actually, of another good adventure/RPG that started slow - Kingdom Hearts. (That game actually was a real chore to play early on.) I'm currently in the latter half of the game (35+ hours), and I will tell you that once you get past the first wolf stretch and actually begin to do significant swordplay, the game opens up a lot. The Wii control is actually very satisfying as a gameplay mechanic, moreso than it was when I first started playing.

Personally, I love the Wii's mechanics, but it's not for everyone. That being said, giving up on a game 2 hours in - especially based on the glowing reviews it has gotten - would be a mistake.

[quote name='gunm']Give it to Child's Play or some other children's charity.[/QUOTE]

A very good idea.

[quote name='derder']Me too. I think the people who are having the most fun with it are those without 360's or ps3's. *Shudder*[/QUOTE]

What kind of statement is that?

Reality's Fringe;2454639 said:
What kind of statement is that?

It's called trolling.

BTW, giving the system to someone who might actually enjoy it is a great idea. If you aren't enjoying the experience, what a great way to make some kid's xmas!

You could sure make my day by giving it to me! I dont have money to buy one since Im in first year college and uhh a year younger than everyone else...so I got nothing! xD

[quote name='THPS']I only got ~2 hours into the game but I figure I'll put this as a spoiler anyway just incase
I got turned into the wolf which ended my fun. Now I have to perform more boring tasks, which is what I'm doing now. On top of that, I have to listen to that stupid monster that follows me chuckling over and over. Honestly, now I can see why people are breaking their TV's with their Wii-mote. Last night, this monster's chuckling was getting on my nerves so I slammed the Wiimote on the carpet and left it at that. I don't know why but it annoyed me that much..

[/QUOTE]

She's laughing THAT much? did you know that if you press up on the D-pad, it stops? it's called an alert, that you can use her to get across a gap. In any case, I fully disagree with your opinion about Zelda. It's one of the more well designed and intuitive games i've ever played. Everything is so easy to pull off. But it also forces you to think about the puzzles. Most games these days tell you exactly what to do and that's annoying.

[quote name='derder']Me too. I think the people who are having the most fun with it are those without 360's or ps3's. *Shudder* [/quote]

funny, I haven't touched my 360 or GoW in 2 weeks. And you've got to be kidding about the ps3. The only good use of that system right now is to keep your papers from being blown away or to play Okami on...which I would do on my PS2, if I wasn't playing the Wii :roll:

[quote name='derder']Me too. I think the people who are having the most fun with it are those without 360's or ps3's. *Shudder*[/QUOTE]

Funny, I look at my 360 and know I am enjoying that, I look at the Wii and know I am having a lot of fun playing it. Troll elsewhere.

As for the OP, try different games. Rayman, Tony Hawk and Excite Truck have all given me hours of enjoyment. I've also downloaded several VC titles and really had some good moments there. Definitely try some games outside your norm. If Zelda isn't doing it for you, rent some of the other launch titles and try something else. I know I will be picking up possibly 3 more games next week alone (Elebits, Farcry and Metal Slug). Also, it's only been what? three weeks? Give it some more time.

Sounds like you shouldn't have bought one given you don't see the appeal of the controller (as you say swinging your arm isn't much different that pressing a button) and never liked Zelda (which is the only system seller level/quality game in my opinion).

So it's not surprising you are disappointed, as it apparently offers nothign that interests you.

I have one, and I've got 2 games plus Wii sports and I never play the thing. I just make Miis on it and play Gears of War for the 360 later. I want to get Zelda, but I'm just waiting till after Christmas to get into something that time consuming.

Fully enjoying my WII :whistle2:# I've spent more time messing around with the out of the box features than I have on any launch console.

I've also got rayman, zelda, and need for speed. Zelda is definitely a slow starter but once you get used to the way the motions work, and you get into the story, it's really an awesome game. Rayman is a great game with other people who enjoy quirky humor and mini games, i'm not a huge fan of mini games but the motion works so well in these that it's really enjoyable. Need for speed is the best launch racing game & the controls on need for speed really make the game enjoyable compared to when I played the first underground on my PC a few years ago, although i'm not a fan of the games style. I have no problems with the WII.

Try some of the suggestions others have made. If none of those work, fuck it! Sell/give it to someone who will enjoy it. Personally, I'm loving it. I turned on my 360 for the first time a couple of days ago since I got the Wii.

Nope, I have a 360 and a Wii and they are both great.

[quote name='derder']Me too. I think the people who are having the most fun with it are those without 360's or ps3's. *Shudder*[/quote]

Go back to your bridge, Pillow Pants.

Sorry you aren't enjoying what I feel is the best system I have ever owned. Charity that bitch and write it off.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']I have one, and I've got 2 games plus Wii sports and I never play the thing. I just make Miis on it and play Gears of War for the 360 later. I want to get Zelda, but I'm just waiting till after Christmas to get into something that time consuming.[/quote]

Hmm, I thought it was your girlfriend's system, not yours.

The Wii's pretty much useless to me right now. Mainly because it's at home and I'm at school. As soon as finals are done though...

[quote name='gunm']Give it to Child's Play or some other children's charity.[/quote]Best suggestion.

[quote name='lebowsky']It's called trolling.[/quote]Unfortunately, it worked. Quite a few folks already replied, and I was about to as well until I realized it wasn't worth my time.

Thanks for all the help everyone...I tinkered with some setting and played Zelda for a bit (I think I'm at 4 hours now) and I'm starting to get into it. I was at the menu before and realized my pointer was pointing down...then I realized that you can flip the controller around and the pointer will rotate as well. This could be implemented into a lot of games...Wario Ware is the first thing that comes to my mind. I also did some thinking and I think that one of the reasons why I was having a hard time enjoying the console was knowing that there are a lot of people out there who want them real bad and I'm here with one. I did freeze my nuts off and sleep on a sidewalk for it, but still, I feel
bad. Anyway, I think I found out what to do with the system. There's a family at my church which has always been involved in a lot of things, devoting their own time and money for the church. I've known them for years and they are great people who do so much for everyone. They have a few kids, who whenever I see them are playing some portable system (GBA, DS, ect), so I know they're into games. I was thinking about asking their whether or not they have a Wii or would be interested one and giving it to them. I only have one controller, but I saw the Wiimotes and Nunchucks at CC and Target while I was on my neverending journey for a 60GB PS3 (only got a 20GB at launch after camping for ~2 days...now I wish I kept it considering I can't get any now..) so tomorrow morning maybe I'll see if they have any more and buy them so everyone in their family can play. I know they would get more use and enjoyment out of it than me, and they deserve to have someone do something nice for them. When the system becomes readily available, I'll definitely go out and buy another. From the past 2 or so hours I've spent with the Wii I can really see its potential and can't wait to see what Nintendo has in store for us.

How can you not enjoy your wii? Have you had someone else come over and play with it (preferrably a girl)?

[quote name='THPS']I also did some thinking and I think that one of the reasons why I was having a hard time enjoying the console was knowing that there are a lot of people out there who want them real bad and I'm here with one. I did freeze my nuts off and sleep on a sidewalk for it, but still, I feel
bad. [/QUOTE]

Not to be an asshole, since it is a generous idea, but what is up with this line of thinking?

Those people who wanted the console "real bad" could have waited in line just like you did... when you buy a Wii for the second time, there will STILL be people who want a Wii "real bad".

By this logic, you should have a hard time enjoying any luxury item you purchase since people out there will want them real bad... hell, that computer you're typing on, you probably worked real hard for it but there alot of people who want a computer there.

I don't disagree with giving it to the family who's done alot, that's cool, but if one of your reasons for disliking the Wii is because you worked your ass off for a luxury item when other people didn't, that's kind of odd. I'm sure alot of people out there would love to have a 360 but I'm sure as hell not giving them mine that I worked for.

I mean, you're in the market for a PS3, I presume for yourself, but if you can't even play a Wii without feeling such pangs of remorse and guilt why even bother with the PS3?

Hey THPS, If you really are getting rid of your Wii, I will gladly take it. I have been trying to get one for my girlfriend, but I have had no luck with money. Im trying to introduce her to videogames so that we can have another common hobby. Ill pay all shipping costs. I would forever be in your debt. Pretty Please :whistle2: )

I am glad you have finally seen the light. Now make a few Miis and play some Wii Sports with some friends. Baseball and Bowling make me happy. It is also awesome that you are being charitable with your system.

I can see why people might have issues with the whole concept. I struggled with the wavy remote issue, but now two weeks in, it's VERY intuitive and you just have to learn the "sensitivity" of the controller. I got the whole thing down now and it's a lot more fun. TC is fantastic. I could never play any of the DS missions on it as fast as I can here on the Wii. I've been able to pull off GUILT missions without Healing Touch, which is something I had to do EVERYTIME on the DS.

Zelda, yeah, slow start, but WAY fun once you get into the temples. The temple puzzles are dang mean, since they give you literally nothing on some of them, and you're just stuck there unless you really look the environment over for where the clues are.

I am also having no fun at all with my new Wii

Why am I having no fun, you ask? Becuase it's resting in it's box, high up on a shelf. No one knows it's there except me and Santa.

I'm having fun with the wii but zelda is the only thing I want right now, the next thing I will buy is probably metroid. But I'm seriously thinking about trading my wii for a 360 after I beat zelda , because it wont be nothing to do , and gears of war is the shit.

[quote name='Vtec_Inspired']I'm having fun with the wii but zelda is the only thing I want right now, the next thing I will buy is probably metroid. But I'm seriously thinking about trading my wii for a 360 after I beat zelda , because it wont be nothing to do , and gears of war is the shit.[/quote]

Dude, just save up to buy a 360 that way you'll have both, you'll be hurting when the other great games come out for Wii later on. (Although 360 also has an assload of amazing games on the horizon). Wii60 all the way man!

Yes, Number 1 also knows. She is also known as my wife, or Mrs. Claus.

The first night I waited until the kid went to bed and I played with my Wii - I mean, my son's christmas present - until 3:30 in the morning. I've only snuck it out of it's box twice since then. I haven't been this anxious for Christmas to arrive since I was 6 years old.

I think Trauma Center is one of the best (if not the best) Wii launch titles so I definitely recommend you give that a try (especially if you aren't a big Zelda fan).

[quote name='Roufuss']Not to be an asshole, since it is a generous idea, but what is up with this line of thinking?

Those people who wanted the console "real bad" could have waited in line just like you did... when you buy a Wii for the second time, there will STILL be people who want a Wii "real bad".

By this logic, you should have a hard time enjoying any luxury item you purchase since people out there will want them real bad... hell, that computer you're typing on, you probably worked real hard for it but there alot of people who want a computer there.

I don't disagree with giving it to the family who's done alot, that's cool, but if one of your reasons for disliking the Wii is because you worked your ass off for a luxury item when other people didn't, that's kind of odd. I'm sure alot of people out there would love to have a 360 but I'm sure as hell not giving them mine that I worked for.

I mean, you're in the market for a PS3, I presume for yourself, but if you can't even play a Wii without feeling such pangs of remorse and guilt why even bother with the PS3?[/QUOTE]

I think what THPS meant is that he felt bad because he wasn't enjoying the Wii and a lot of people would. I guess he's saying he would enjoy the PS3 so it wouldn't be the same.

Dunno I'm enjoying the Wii just fine. It is immensely overrated though in the public eye because when it comes down to it, the whole thing is a gimmick just like the DS was at first launch. It's intriguing, but it's certainly no substitute for games like Gears of War.

[quote name='bmulligan']Yes, Number 1 also knows. She is also known as my wife, or Mrs. Claus.

The first night I waited until the kid went to bed and I played with my Wii - I mean, my son's christmas present - until 3:30 in the morning. I've only snuck it out of it's box twice since then. I haven't been this anxious for Christmas to arrive since I was 6 years old.[/QUOTE]

Damn, I admire your willpower, despite the lapses ;). I would have loved to spring the Wii on my kids at Christmas after acting like I couldnt find one all this time. The problem is, they know I'm steeped in the ways of CAG and am always going off trading games here and there and "working all my angles". So there was no way I could hide that I got one of the EB preorders. And then, there would be no way, personally, for me to have held off from Nov 19th to Dec 25th. Plus I wallow in so many games (obtained CAGfully of course) that it really is nothing special to give them games for Christmas - they just put 'em in the pile and move on. So we had to go with the "traditional" stuff - legos, models, etc... Otherwise I suppose I could hold off on Elebits next week and give that to them on the 25th... Nah, gotta play that ASAP!

I did surprise them with a GC back in 2003 but I wasn't a gamer then and had no problem putting it in the closet for a month. I didn't know what I was missing ;). Funny, at the time I thought $140 (GC + Mario Kart) was a TON to spend on a gadget like that. Now look at me.

[quote name='Zoglog']Dunno I'm enjoying the Wii just fine. It is immensely overrated though in the public eye because when it comes down to it, the whole thing is a gimmick just like the DS was at first launch. It's intriguing, but it's certainly no substitute for games like Gears of War.[/quote]

How predictable. Your statement doesn't even make sense though. The DS was a gimmick at first launch. Now it isn't? Explain to me what has changed about the system?

I've been a dabbler in the motion sensing games for a while. The eyetoy just doesn't quite control well enough to be better than average, in my opinion. And I've tried all those plug-and-play games like the Star Wars lightsaber game, the Putt-Putt game, the lord of the rings game, etc. and they all pretty much suck. I was therefore, apprehensive of the Wii as being of Xavix caliber and a general dissappointment.

I was suprised to play this thing at Gamestop and have the controller work so well. Wii sports may be nothing more than a tech demo in a paper sleeve, but it can almost perfectly replicate my bowling throw which has sold me on all future motion based games in the Wii's future.

No, it's no substitute for games like Gears of War, but I'm honestly tired of the same-old-same-old FPS which gets prettier and more boring and repetitive as the years go by. I don't need to spend more good money for the same experience over and over again.

Everything has some sort of gimmick to draw attention to itself. It's how anything sells itself to popular culture. Kiss was just an average rock and roll band. They didn't have the greatest virtuoso guitar playing or songwriting, so where would they have been without a good gimmick?

[quote name='schuerm26']How predictable. Your statement doesn't even make sense though. The DS was a gimmick at first launch. Now it isn't? Explain to me what has changed about the system?[/QUOTE]

Developers got the hang of it and stopped trying to cram too much touch screen interaction on it. Now the touch screen is usually only used for good purposes, and many games don't even use it really.

We will see the same with the Wii for a while. A lot of tech demo/mini games build around the controller, until developers both get the hang of using the controller appropriately in full fledged games, and realize that games that make minimal use of it will still do fine.

[quote name='bmulligan']
No, it's no substitute for games like Gears of War, but I'm honestly tired of the same-old-same-old FPS which gets prettier and more boring and repetitive as the years go by. I don't need to spend more good money for the same experience over and over again.
[/QUOTE]

That's exactly why I bought the Wii, and will probably pass on the 360 for a while (until a price drop or two).

Tired of paying more to play the same old shit with a new coat of paint. At least the Wii offers a chance for innovation, and if nothing else the new controller makes rehashes and sequels (like Zelda) feel fresher.

[quote name='dmaul1114']That's exactly why I bought the Wii, and will probably pass on the 360 for a while (until a price drop or two).

Tired of paying more to play the same old shit with a new coat of paint. At least the Wii offers a chance for innovation, and if nothing else the new controller makes rehashes and sequels (like Zelda) feel fresher.[/QUOTE]

Yah me too.

bread's done
Back