# Nintendo DS: 471,000
# Wii: 360,000
# PlayStation 2: 194,000
# PSP: 183,000
# Xbox 360: 174,000
# Game Boy Advance: 84,000
# PlayStation 3: 82,000
# GameCube: 13,000

Interesting that DS sales dropped from last month, but that's about the only bad news for Nintendo.

Source: 1up.com

3rd consecutive month that the PS3 has been outsold by the GBA.

Nintendo has to sell as many systems as they can before people go HD and realize its no good!

200704npd1za3.jpg

200704npd2ef5.jpg

200704npd3oq1.jpg

200704npd4ip1.jpg

How the hell did the Gamecube manage to sell 13,000 units?

It's also a damn shame to see Spider-Man 3 sell that many copies, considering how crappy it is.

[quote name='furyk']

# 5. Guitar Hero 2 w/ guitar (Xbox 360) -- 197K

[/quote]

Very impressive considering the $90 price tag and the 10 days last month this was counted in.

Wow, the PS3 didn't even sell 1/2 of what the 360 did, nor even 1/4 of what the Wii, a system you can't find, did.

Momentum is not on Sony's side right now.

I know it's so common knowledge, and it shouldn't shock me, but I'm always surprised to see how popular the DS is everywhere, not just in Japan.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Very impressive considering the $90 price tag and the 10 days last month this was counted in.[/quote] GH2 for the 360 launched offically on April 3.

[quote name='62t']well the PS2 and PSP both outsold X360[/quote]

PSP had the price drop so that probably helped quite a bit. PS2 has consistently sold well so that isn't a surprise.

Well there goes the argument that the PS3 has sold better then 360 in It's launch months, at least in the US thanks to that chart.

Oh and the Wii will be #1 "Next Gen" console by next month (Since November 2006 atleast) . Great news for Nintendo, very bad for MS.

[quote name='daroga']
GH2 for the 360 launched offically on April 3.[/quote]

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=15870

The NPD data is in for March 2007, and the Xbox 360 version of Guitar Hero II sold an astonishing 291,434 units within four days of its release, making it the third best-selling overall game of the month. At $90 a unit, that adds up to a pretty penny.

We know what you're thinking: Guitar Hero II came out on April 3, so why is it being included in NPD's March data? The reason is because NPD follows a 4-5-4 retail calendar, so the period this data is from covers March 4 to April 7. That means between April 3 and 7, almost 300k Xbox 360 owners picked up a copy of GHII. Whoa.
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/782/782139p1.html

Hmm anyone have expanded numbers? Looks like people wanted Spider Man 3 on the XBox 360/PS2(Damn I typed PS3, can't read tonight) over the Wii? Hope third party troubles aren't going to happen again.

Why do you keep comparing sales between a sub-$60 handheld and a $600 console?

It's not as if the GBA is dead, it still has games pumping out, and is popular with the smaller kids.

I'm not saying PS3 sales are better than what they seem, but that comparison is ridiculous.

Now if the GC had outsold the PS3, then yeah, freakin' big ouch.

Pretty low for the PS3. I imagine it will stay that way until at least September (maybe even Fall). It is a solid system, but not much sets it apart from the 360 at the moment.

We're just looking at the absolute numbers here. The comparison is just made simply because they are both at the very bottom of the list (outside Gamecube)

The GBA is pretty dead. There isnt any meaningful software coming out for it anymore.

The PS3 is in a price bracket all its own, ALL comparisons based on price would be unfair.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']We're just looking at the absolute numbers here. The comparison is just made simply because they are both at the very bottom of the list (outside Gamecube)

The GBA is pretty dead. There isnt any meaningful software coming out for it anymore.

The PS3 is in a price bracket all its own, ALL comparisons based on price would be unfair.[/QUOTE]

I just don't see how the comparison is relevant. I'm just guessing here, but if the GBA has outsold the PS3 the past 3 months, I'm guessing it also outsold the 360 shortly after its release, just based on the fact that the PS3 and 360 are pretty much neck and neck in their respective timelines.

[quote name='dpatel']I just don't see how the comparison is relevant. I'm just guessing here, but if the GBA has outsold the PS3 the past 3 months, I'm guessing it also outsold the 360 shortly after its release, just based on the fact that the PS3 and 360 are pretty much neck and neck in their respective timelines.[/quote]

Exactly, it doesn't mean crap.

The only thing that matters, is Wii, 360, and PS3 numbers.
And Wii is kicking A.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']The GBA is just a benchmark line that represents "not so good". Thats all.[/QUOTE]

I guess so. I just don't think its relevant. As we have seen, it doesn't exactly mean much in the grand scale of things (i.e. xbox360).

[quote name='daroga']That still leaves far more than 10 days in April that these numbers represent for GH2...[/quote]

Did you completely misunderstand my post?

[quote name='mtxbass1']Very impressive considering the $90 price tag and the 10 days last month this was counted in.[/quote]

Guitar Hero II was counted in March for about 10 days. It was more like the last 4 days of March, but whatever. Then the ENTIRE month of april is in these npd numbers reported today. What I originally said was that it was impressive that they sold that many copies at that price in the month of april, in addition to the ones they had already sold that were counted in March...

[quote name='YoshiFan1']I can't believe PS2 is still selling amazingly well[/QUOTE]
And this translates into good sales for the PS3 next year. When people are ready to upgrade to a next gen system, they're not going to abandon their library of games. Full BC + the ability to transfer saves and use accessories bodes very well for the PS3 when it comes down to a reasonable price.

[quote name='mtxbass1']
Guitar Hero II was counted in March for about 10 days. It was more like the last 4 days of March, but whatever. Then the ENTIRE month of april is in these npd numbers reported today. What I originally said was that it was impressive that they sold that many copies at that price in the month of april, in addition to the ones they had already sold that were counted in March...[/quote]

You're post isn't exactly clear, I took it the same way he did.

Those are some sad PS3 numbers, but it will be interesting to see how large an effect White Kinght and Lair have on PS3 sales.

All I can say is ouch, only 82,000 PS3s, It ust keeps geting lower and lower.

Im also surprised how many more Pokemon Diamond than Pearl were sold, Usually versions are almost equal in sales.

i imagine there will be slight spikes in PS3 sales when Ninja Gaiden and Lair come out...other than that, I'm expecting the same kinds of numbers and worse until the Fall.

[quote name='JDUB X']All I can say is ouch, only 82,000 PS3s, It ust keeps geting lower and lower.

Im also surprised how many more Pokemon Diamond than Pearl were sold, Usually versions are almost equal in sales.[/QUOTE]

Because Diamonds are forever.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']Who in gods name is still buying the GBA? and Why? the DS lite is only 50$ more and gives you so much more...[/quote]
I'm not sure how the GBA numbers are split, but I imagine people dig the appeal of the Micro enough to generate a significant chunk of those GBA sales. I mean, if all someone wants is a portable gaming system and they see a bunch of cool GBA titles available, grabbing the tiny Micro for $60 less is probably a pretty attractive option.

I'm with you, though - that $60 difference is an absolute steal in terms of the improvement in enjoyment.

Spike in GBA sales to try and "catch em all"?

My guess is that parents want a cheap, sturdy game system for their 4-10 year old that they'll probably lose (or already have lost).

[quote name='mtxbass1']Did you completely misunderstand my post?
Guitar Hero II was counted in March for about 10 days. It was more like the last 4 days of March, but whatever. Then the ENTIRE month of april is in these npd numbers reported today. What I originally said was that it was impressive that they sold that many copies at that price in the month of april, in addition to the ones they had already sold that were counted in March...[/quote]Ah, your original statement sound like you were saying these numbers were only representative of 10 days in April. :) Clause and pronoun antecedent clarity can go a long way to making a good point. ;)
[quote name='torifile']And this translates into good sales for the PS3 next year. When people are ready to upgrade to a next gen system, they're not going to abandon their library of games. Full BC + the ability to transfer saves and use accessories bodes very well for the PS3 when it comes down to a reasonable price.[/quote] Not really. This translates into good sales for the PS3, maybe, in 2011. People buying PS2s now are, by and large, not the people who are going to want to "upgrade" next year. These are the people wanting cheap games, not the people wanting the best Playstation ever.

[quote name='torifile']And this translates into good sales for the PS3 next year. When people are ready to upgrade to a next gen system, they're not going to abandon their library of games. Full BC + the ability to transfer saves and use accessories bodes very well for the PS3 when it comes down to a reasonable price.[/quote]

It does nothing of the sort. People aren't going to buy the PS3 at $600 for backwards compatibility when they can either keep their current PS2 or buy one for $80 off ebay or $120 in a store. PS3 will NOT be at a reasonable price this year or in the near future. They also have to deal with the fact that whenever they price drop, it's pretty close to being a guarantee that Microsoft will also. They have put themselves in a very tough position and it is going to be VERY hard to get out of that position.

[quote name='schuerm26']It does nothing of the sort. People aren't going to buy the PS3 at $600 for backwards compatibility when they can either keep their current PS2 or buy one for $80 off ebay or $120 in a store. PS3 will NOT be at a reasonable price this year or in the near future. They also have to deal with the fact that whenever they price drop, it's pretty close to being a guarantee that Microsoft will also. They have put themselves in a very tough position and it is going to be VERY hard to get out of that position.[/quote]

You guys also forget that in some markets, the PS3 is NOT 100% backwards compatible (Europe is one I believe?). Sony removed the backwards compatibility hardware to save money. I am not sure how much of the PS1/PS2 catalog is covered under software emulation in those cases.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']I can't believe PS2 is still selling amazingly well[/QUOTE]

Because PS2 still has some amazing games coming out for it.

I think in terms of what's selling cost is the big factor. DS Lite, PS2, Cube, GBA are all pretty affordable. The one thing I would really like to see come out of Nintendo's strong start is some halfway decent developers making some good 3rd party games for the Wii. I do own a 360 but it would be nice to see some real work being put into Wii titles. I think its obvious the system is more capable than the bargain bin bullshit we've been getting.

[quote name='SpecTrE3353']You guys also forget that in some markets, the PS3 is NOT 100% backwards compatible (Europe is one I believe?). Sony removed the backwards compatibility hardware to save money. I am not sure how much of the PS1/PS2 catalog is covered under software emulation in those cases.[/quote]Right, which means that until the PS3 gets some quality, exclusive software, there's little reason to upgrade. I don't really think BC is as big of a seller as we might think it is. It's kind of an added bonus, but I don't think you buy a next-gen system just to play old games. It might keep you brand-loyal when you do upgrade, but that's about it.

If all you're gonna do with your Wii/360/PS3 is play GC/Xbox/PS2 games on it, you might as well not upgrade and wait for price drops or sofater that forces your hand that you need to get that new system.

That last graph is very interesting. It seems to show that the PS3 launch did about the same or better than the 360 launch, in spite of the extra competition from the 360 and Wii, which the 360 didn't have on launch (unless I'm reading it wrong).

[quote name='Roufuss']Because PS2 still has some amazing games coming out for it.[/quote]

QFT.

Software sells hardware, and thats why the PS3 is doing soo poorly right now, theres nothing to play on it.

Those PS3 numbers still blew me away tho... I didnt think they would be that low. Its not a question of availibility either, I cant walk into a Best Buy without tripping over a pile of PS3's on the floor.

Just imagine how well the Wii would be selling if people could find it?

[quote name='Puffa469']QFT.

Software sells hardware, and thats why the PS3 is doing soo poorly right now, theres nothing to play on it.

Those PS3 numbers still blew me away tho... I didnt think they would be that low. Its not a question of availibility either, I cant walk into a Best Buy without tripping over a pile of PS3's on the floor.

Just imagine how well the Wii would be selling if people could find it?[/quote]I wonder how close the Wii is to the edge of that supply/demand line. How many more per week need to show up in stores before they finally reach a decent "in-stock" status around most of the country?

The avilbility of PS3s make its launch and the 360 launch hard to compare. Really, none of the three systems are apples-to-apples, because of different launch years, avilability, and prices. If every system launched the same month and had all cost $300, that would be easy to compare, but it's hard to judge a $600 console's launch in 2006 with a $400 console launch in 2005, especially when one was readily available everywhere and one wasn't.

[quote name='schuerm26']It does nothing of the sort. People aren't going to buy the PS3 at $600 for backwards compatibility when they can either keep their current PS2 or buy one for $80 off ebay or $120 in a store. PS3 will NOT be at a reasonable price this year or in the near future. They also have to deal with the fact that whenever they price drop, it's pretty close to being a guarantee that Microsoft will also. They have put themselves in a very tough position and it is going to be VERY hard to get out of that position.[/quote]

I totally agree, Every ps2 sold is one person saying they don't want a ps3(atleat not for a long while).

We all know that Sony has some Wii Remote clone in R&D. They should finish that up, and bundle it with all future PS2s. This would allow developers (who are already doing PS2/Wii games as it is) to streamline development, and this would also allow Sony to advertise a Wii killer for $100 less.

Sure it would be shameless, but it could work given the proper marketing.

[quote name='Backlash']That last graph is very interesting. It seems to show that the PS3 launch did about the same or better than the 360 launch, in spite of the extra competition from the 360 and Wii, which the 360 didn't have on launch (unless I'm reading it wrong).[/QUOTE]

it's also slipping where the 360 began to take off-- the obvious difference being that 360s became more available around that time and got Oblivion and other games.

[quote name='daroga']I wonder how close the Wii is to the edge of that supply/demand line. How many more per week need to show up in stores before they finally reach a decent "in-stock" status around most of the country?
[/quote]

Thats the big question isnt it? How many could Nintendo sell if they had ample supply.

Is the dsl also hampered by short supply? I see those in stock at alot of stores and they sold under 500,000 units in April.

Im not sure if the Wii would automatically double its monthly sales just becasue more were available. Part of the 'allure' of wanting a Wii for some has to be the fact that its soo hard to get.

There has to be an upper limit to how much even the most indemand console could sell. Can a console move 1mm units a month? Probably not.

It also begs the question of how well the 360 could be doing now if it had been in ready supply early last year. It doesn't appear that a whole lot of people opted to just wait for the PS3 came out to make their purchase, but would that hype around the 360 have existed without the short supply? It's not like its launch software had anything more exciting to it than the PS3 has.

PS3 numbers shock me. They are readily abundant and nobody is buying them. A total turn around from the PS2's success. And now the 360 is outselling it now that the PS3 launch window has closed. I don't know if Sony is going to do something about it, but they need to act fast. Wii is pretty much on course to win this generation on number of units sold.

bread's done
Back