Assassin's Creed - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='strdr4']Seriously, WTF? Are these guys even playing the same game?

What really irks me was something I saw in the GT review. While in "casual" mode, you see him come up to a guard and just stab him in the back right in the light of sight of the other guard and yet, the guard acted like his buddy just fell down. He goes over to check his buddy with Alier (sp?) standing RIGHT NEXT TO HIS BUDDY! Then he gets stabbed in the back because the A.I looks to be so stupid.[/quote]

I saw that too.

I saw it a couple times in various gameplay trailers and what not. I saw someone stabbing a lot of people in broad daylight....and guards just didnt really seem to care.

But those are only snip its so maybe it is out of context?

I just watched the IGN video review of this and it sounds like his major gripes with the game are exactly what it set out to do. "You have to evesdrop on a person, this is done by simply taking a seat, targeting the person, and listening in ...", well no SHIT, did you think he was going to use his Spidey senses to hear the conversation. I like how he bitches that in order to get away from guards that you have to break their line of site and wait in a pile of hay for 15 seconds -- isn't this pretty much how they do it in MGS except it's a locker?

Essentially it sounds like the reviewer's bitch with the game is that you actually have to do some investigation before the assassination, welcome to realizm (this isn't Hitman). Either way, the review made me even more psyched for this game.

Yeah that IGN review seamed like he took something so personally. He kept complaining about the same 3 things over and over and went on and on about it. Heck based on the text I was surprised it got as high a score as it did.

All and all at this point in the year I'm too broke to buy anything else, but I'll sure as heck be renting this!

[quote name='Ryukahn']Assassin's Creed was a no go at my TRU. They said they'd have it either tomorrow or Thursday.[/quote]

I dont understand why they just cant tell everyone the actually day they can buy it in stores instead of the release/ship date.

Honestly....who really cares when the game ships....people only care when they can go to the store and buy it.

Its just a tad bit confusing because some game you can pick up on the release/ship date...other games you have to wait that extra day for.

I also tried TRU....then I called Walmart and asked if they would sell it at midnight....in which they said no...after 2pm tomorrow.

I'm going to cancel my preorder. I'd hate to be a tool and trust generic "critics," but I've been reading Eurogamer for years and Tom's always had good tastes, and his criticisms (and praise) seem more than valid. Strangely, IGN wrote by far the most scathing review of the game (calling it possibly one of the 5 most dissapointing games OF ALL TIME!!!), but gave it a 7.7. It's like they're afraid if they give it anything lower than a lukewarm review they'll risk losing their fans. There actually may be some (minor) bit of truth to that, but they're losing their crediblity giving a game a negative review and then tacking on a positive score just to keep the peace.

Gametrailers gave it a 9.1, but even their review sounded more like a high 7, or low 8 at best. I mean he spends a good third of the review talking about all the things the game did wrong.

The game still looks fun as a rental. Pretty much everyone agrees that the game starts out amazing with the running, and the climbing, and the grandiose visuals, but quickly bogs down to a series of repetitive and mundane missions that play out the same way.

I mean there's something fundamentaly wrong about a game where you play as an assassin in a sandbox environment, yet must follow a scripted approach to assassinating your targets. I was hoping for a mix between Crackdown and Hitman, but it sounds more like a buggy (albiet pretty) version of Crackdown. What a waste of potential.

[quote name='Soodmeg']I dont understand why they just cant tell everyone the actually day they can buy it in stores instead of the release/ship date.

Honestly....who really cares when the game ships....people only care when they can go to the store and buy it.

Its just a tad bit confusing because some game you can pick up on the release/ship date...other games you have to wait that extra day for.

I also tried TRU....then I called Walmart and asked if they would sell it at midnight....in which they said no...after 2pm tomorrow.[/quote]

I agree. I went to three different places today just because usually vendors release their games on Tuesday. None of them had it, saying that they haven't even gotten it in yet (as of Tuesday 4 p.m. PST). Doesn't make much sense to tell consumers when the company has shipped it out.

As for the game, I'm kind of glad I didn't buy it after the tepid reviews. Seems to be more of a rental from Gamefly.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Here is what I dont get though.

AC is suppose to be very creative and original but as a few flaws. Repetition is one that is said the most.

But these are the same people who bust a 2 nuts and a gut when Halo 3 dropped. Halo 3 which is basically a carbon copy of one and two with a horrid storyline that ends in a cop out. Horrid AI for your team mates..but it got 9's across the board.

If you like Halo 3 or not you can not deny its basically the same thing as the first 2 games with little innovation. Adding more guns to a FPS...yeah thats super original.

This is why I hate the fucking gaming industry. Any time a producer tries to think outside the box and try something new, reviewer will rip it apart and apparently forget that its harder to make an original game so you might what to cut them a break.

But HOLY SHIT MONKEY....UN REAL CALL OF HALO BIO TIMESPLITTERS 43543 IS COMING OUT...ZOMG THIS TIME THEIR SHOOTING DEAD BABIES OUT OF THEIR GUNS NOW!!!!! ARRAGAGHAGH.

FPS have been the same for 20 years but every time one comes out reviewers shit a brick at the awesomeness of it.

This is why we get 3 or 4 sequels to video games...and why 45 FPS come out a year. Producers are to scared to do anything else....FPS are the safe bet.

Bah.

EDIT:

I just think that people forget that when you go to make an truely orignal game...it takes some time to think up and then program each part of it. I mean..by the time they figured out how to even do the Free run programming you most likely could have thought up, programmed, and be well into the beta testing fo a FPS.

The code for FPS have been laid out for years now...most of them dont even use their own engine...they just mooch off the Unreal engine. So of course there is going to be some hiccups...but its never been done before.[/quote]

I think it is a little different. I didn't like halo 3 sp and never played the others but at least within halo 3 there are different aspects to the gameplay. You can drive, fly, shoot. The level designs are different between many.

The complaints about this game even from the 100 review(how can you have a complaint and give it perfect but whatever) is that the way you complete all of the assassinations in the game is EXACTLY the same and the cities. although supposedly different...look almost the same.

So yeah I can see the difference.

I'm thinking Gamestop/EB bought the rights to have this game in store on the 13th. I went to Best Buy, Curcit City, Walmart, Target, a local store(Slackers CDs and Games), and 2 Gamestops and called another. All but the Gamestops did not have them. Gamestops had them but preorder only and they did not get all of the preorders and were hoping to get them for tomorrow and they were unsure about haveing them for tomorrow. So this game is sold out at one of the few places that was selling it and others cant sell till the 14th at 2 pm. I hate to order online but if I can not get the collectors edition at best buy tomorrow I'm ordering online or saying screw it.

Bah, reviews. They're half love and half hate, so you'll either fall madly in love with the game or you won't. For all the original ideas in this game (in addition to all the awesome gameplay videos I've seen), I'm more than willing to pick it up and take the risk.

Also, answering my question from a few pages back, regarding the PS3 version vs the 360 version: PS3 owners are blessed with a slightly more solid frame rate, although the 360 version features a little more contrast in the lighting, so it's pretty much a wash.

Well unless I can get to Best Buy by 2 pm tomorrow and get the LE I will not be geting this for some time. Everyplace I have looked at online has sold out of Assassin's Creed Limited Edition. Best Buy online has it but chances are it will be sold out in the next day or so. First game all year that I have wanted that I did not pre order I can not find any place. All others I really did not need to preorder so I didnt think I needed to this one. Guess I was way off on that.

[quote name='Soodmeg']

FPS have been the same for 20 years but every time one comes out reviewers shit a brick at the awesomeness of it.

[/quote]

You're right. When I reached the final level of Halo 3 last night, I was very surpsied that the last boss wasn't a mechanized Adolf Hitler. Those wizards at Bungie have done it again!

Sarcasm off, that is a severely asinine statement. One could argue that many game genres have been the same for 20 years, and that the 'devil' is in fact not 'in the details'. However, one chooses not to.

Wow....I've honestly never seen more mixed reviews for a game in my life. I already got the game pre-ordered but always just like to QUICKLY read through reviews from different places on all games I'm interested in. I think some people might just say F-this game because of some harsh reviews but reading just a couple of reviews from a few well known sources, I'm not sure why anyone would cancel this pre-order. Check this out:

GameSpot-

"Assassin's Creed will stay with you long after you finish it. Here is one of the most unique gameworlds ever created: beautiful, memorable, and alive. Every crack and crevasse is filled with gorgeous, subtle details, from astounding visual flourishes to overheard cries for help. But it's more than just a world--it's a fun and exciting action game with a ton of stuff to do and places to explore, rounded out with silky-smooth controls and a complex story that will slowly grab you the more you play. Make no mistake: Assassin's Creed is one of the best efforts of the year and a must-own game for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 owners.Assassin's Creed is the kind of game you tell your friends about, and one that should be in your collection."

Gamepro-

"Take a leap of faith with Assassin's Creed and you will be rewarded with one of the finest gaming experiences ever created!"

I know those are just a couple of GOOD things said and none of the bad, but honestly how can remarks like that not have or get gamers interested in playing it. At the end of the day we all know it just comes down to our own opinion of the game. Still, wow, like I said earlier...crazy there's such mixed reviews when some reviews say remarks like that.

Two questions:

Does anyone have a link to a picture of the opened LE packaging and figure? The one that's being sold at Gamestop?

And is there any way to still get a copy of the CE (or whatever version) that has the 12" Altair figure?

[quote name='csalzman']You're right. When I reached the final level of Halo 3 last night, I was very surpsied that the last boss wasn't a mechanized Adolf Hitler. Those wizards at Bungie have done it again!

Sarcasm off, that is a severely asinine statement. One could argue that many game genres have been the same for 20 years, and that the 'devil' is in fact not 'in the details'. However, one chooses not to.[/quote]

Sarcasm.....on the interweb? Now that is truly original.

No, its not. Your assessment of it is though. But I am not going to go into it again. Every time I make a point...one of you counters it with something off the wall and random as fuck.

You and Asian completely ignored my actually point to focus on shit that is very trivial and childish. So fine....everyone continue to point out ignore my actually logical real point that by the way is based of my sole opinion and focus on taking little details.

Honestly. Did you even know what I was talking about? Or did you just pick out a statement and spend 10 minutes thinking of a cool ass burn you can say along with it?

Yeah...I thought that also.

Honostly, when I read your post, that line stuck out the most because it was so far off base. Anyways, reviewers score games based on the merit of the title (in theory). You don't get 'cut a break' because its an orignal title thats 'harder to make' (which I don't buy for an instant) - quality games take time and effort regardless if its an original IP or not.

Sorry that you disagree with the reviews, but in the end they don't mean squat. Go enjoy the game. Software developers arn't going to stop trying to make orignal games simply because one game gets reviewed 1 or 2 points lower than you think it deserves.

[quote name='Mr Durand Pierre']
Gametrailers gave it a 9.1, but even their review sounded more like a high 7, or low 8 at best. I mean he spends a good third of the review talking about all the things the game did wrong.
[/quote]

Agreed! The beginning of the video review was like "Oh thats sort of new" and then by the end he started showing a ton of bad things (and GameFAQa has revealed other cons, such as no nighttime setting, uniform weather) and I felt bored just watching the video by the end of it. It just looked to repetitive, and the sword fights looked disengage.

[quote name='csalzman']You don't get 'cut a break' because its an orignal title[/quote]

I'm much more willing to invest in a game that aims high and falls a little short than one that hits a solid mark on a well-tread path.

Not that both kinds aren't good, everyone has different tastes, naturally. For me, I like to see something a bit original. I'll forgive technical issues if the game comes up with something unique.

[quote name='sendme']I'm thinking Gamestop/EB bought the rights to have this game in store on the 13th. I went to Best Buy, Curcit City, Walmart, Target, a local store(Slackers CDs and Games), and 2 Gamestops and called another. All but the Gamestops did not have them. Gamestops had them but preorder only and they did not get all of the preorders and were hoping to get them for tomorrow and they were unsure about haveing them for tomorrow. So this game is sold out at one of the few places that was selling it and others cant sell till the 14th at 2 pm. I hate to order online but if I can not get the collectors edition at best buy tomorrow I'm ordering online or saying screw it.[/quote]

All the Gamestops near me told me the game will be released tomorrow (Wednesday). All other places say the 15th is when the game is scheduled to be released. So maybe Gamestop does have an exclusive release, but it's tomorrow, not today.

You guys are such idiots.

"Wow, 1up gave it a 7. I give up with this game!"

Do you really have to only play games that gets all 100% across the board?

[quote name='DarkNessBear']
Do you really have to only play games that gets all 100% across the board?[/QUOTE]

Yes, unfortunately a lot of people do. It's really sad how spoiled today's gamers are.

I think IGN AU's review is very interesting, as it directly addresses IGN US's review.

Their closing comments:

Do yourself a favour; play Assassin's Creed for yourself and make up your own mind. Chance are, if you go in with an open mind and lowered expectations, you're going to walk away very satisfied on most fronts. Regardless, it's an adventure that, for all the self-important dialogue and forced morality, is unquestionably worth your time - particularly for fans that can differentiate between action/platformers and stealth/RPGs.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']You guys are such idiots.

Do you really have to only play games that gets all 100% across the board?[/QUOTE]

Pretty much how I feel.

I know movies and games are obviously different but if you read movie reviews and don't watch a movie cause it has bad reviews, I think that's ridiculous and you'd be missing out. For example, tonight I watched Death Proof and if you look at the reviews there's more bad then good by far...but honestly WOW what a bad ass movie that was. We all know at the end of the day it's what our own opinion on something is that counts in whatever (games, movies, etc.). Rent AC if you have doubts, obviously you have interest in the game or you wouldn't be looking up the reviews in the first place.

well they are wrong. The game came out today the 13th. Atleast for people that preordered it got it today. Well some because the shipments were short. It is tomorrow the 14th for most other places.
[quote name='RudyPants']All the Gamestops near me told me the game will be released tomorrow (Wednesday). All other places say the 15th is when the game is scheduled to be released. So maybe Gamestop does have an exclusive release, but it's tomorrow, not today.[/QUOTE]

I'm a little torn but, I think I'll still pick this up later in the week. The game, graphically, looks gorgeous. My main concern was how it plays and it seems universal that it plays well. I can accept that it's the same kind of fun over and over so long as it's done right.

Heck, Gears was the the same 5 minutes of fun for 5 hours and I still enjoyed that. So I'll probably give Assassin's a chance.

Today is the ship date so very few stores got it in. I'll be getting it tomorrow since that's when the GS near me gets their games.

Do you really have to only play games that gets all 100% across the board?[/quote]

Yeah well forgive me, I'm not going to pay 60 dollars for a game that is getting mixed reviews until I know enough people that like it. I'll let you fan boys have that experience. The only person I know that has it doesn't think is is worth the money because there is no variety in the gameplay and he's already tired of hiding in bails of hay. If enough people I know and trust enjoy it then I'll rent it.

[quote name='blackflag']Yeah well forgive me, I'm not going to pay 60 dollars for a game that is getting mixed reviews until I know enough people that like it. I'll let you fan boys have that experience. The only person I know that has it doesn't think is is worth the money because there is no variety in the gameplay and he's already tired of hiding in bails of hay. If enough people I know and trust enjoy it then I'll rent it.[/quote]

So, why not just rent it yourself then? I mean you say you don't want to pay $60 for a game with mixed reviews, but then you say you don't even want to rent it unless a bunch of people you know like it. Why not just rent it and try it for yourself?

[quote name='robin2099'] Why not just rent it and try it for yourself?[/quote]

It would require effort. I'd have to go sign up for blockbuster or something. Better just to wait until some people that I know get it and try it to see if it is even worth it. There's too many good games out right now and that I have pre-ordered next week to worry about it too much. Basically if a game gets mixed reviews now, I can't bother with it for a few months....VF5, COD4, Mass Effect, Rock Band

Do you really have to only play games that gets all 100% across the board?[/quote]

No it doesnt have to be 100% across the board but if i'm going to pay $60 (No FRY's) it damn well better be. That combined with me getting Mass Effect next week and a bunch of other games to still play means I can wait on this game and play it later. From the sounds of the reviews there will be alot of used copies when people beat this game due to no replay value

heh just tried to go get it at my local Gamestop (Got the call last night) of course, its not there yet lol, the shipment hasnt arrived, not till 1

ah well, just want it and be done with it, hate this shit

And yet what are you forming your opinion of this game from? The few videos that have been released?

For me, it's all about playability. I get about 2 - 4 hours worth of gaming in a week so I need something that I can go back to and have fun; Oblivion is a good example of this. I don't care if I play for an hour or two and need to put it down, as long as I can come back to it in a week or a month I'm good. For me, Bioshock is like this - play for an hour then get bored of it, but I still come back to it.

I'm still buying it, I'm not expecting GoTY here but I have a $25 TRU gift card to blow and I feel like wasting some time. Still will be enjoyable I'm sure....I hope.

I'm picking it up regardless of the inconsistent reviews. I'm mostly interested in seeing the recreation of 12th century cities and the parcour type gameplay. Looks to me like a Crackdown set in a different time period and I thoroughly enjoyed just jumping around from building to building in Crackdown.

finally got the damn thing

if you preordered at GS, you should get a free hardback book w/ it "The Art of Assassin's Creed"

Its nothing special, smallish, but whatever

[quote name='archibishopthedoge']finally got the damn thing

if you preordered at GS, you should get a free hardback book w/ it "The Art of Assassin's Creed"

Its nothing special, smallish, but whatever[/quote]
After being deceived by CoD 4's hardcover art book, I could care less about such things being offered in games now.

Its nothing special, smallish, but whatever[/quote]
Did you get the LE? I'm heading out to pick mine up and was wondering what you thought of the figure that came with it.

man, ordered Monday night from Amazon, chose 2 day shipping (had $50 gift certificate), and they said it should be delivered on Thursday, now it's been delayed to the 19th for some reason. I was looking forward to playing it this weekend too. and Mass Effect on the 20th...should have just chosen free shipping and saved myself $8 since I probably won't play it much until after ME.

[quote name='kromekoran']man, ordered Monday night from Amazon, chose 2 day shipping (had $50 gift certificate), and they said it should be delivered on Thursday, now it's been delayed to the 19th for some reason. I was looking forward to playing it this weekend too. and Mass Effect on the 20th...should have just chosen free shipping and saved myself $8 since I probably won't play it much until after ME.[/quote]

Just cancel your order. Why wouldn't you?

I was going to order it for that book but when I went to order it they had nothing about it. I saw that you got the book for a week then they took it down and had just the game. So I thought they stopped doing it.

Its nothing special, smallish, but whatever[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Scorch']Has anyone actually played the game yet!?[/QUOTE]

I know from my friends list that Zew0ne and Jaded has played it and as far as Jaded he said he is loving the game so far.

I had ordered the game on bestbuy.com last night only to find today it is on backorder. I just got back from best buy with one. They only had 1 or 2 of the normal one and 2 of the LE. Out of the tins the I have bought and know of this one actually has the game in the game case like you would buy normaly. Only other one that I have that did this was the GS/EB only Resident Evil 4 for the gamecube and I'm guessing the one for the PS2 was the same. Wish they would have done this with Gears of War.

[quote name='Scorch']Has anyone actually played the game yet!?[/quote]

Yeah. I hate all this review bullshit and people saying they're changing their minds on the game just because it's getting mixed reviews. As someone who's actually played it, I love the game. Everything about it. Don't listen to me though, go play the damn game and fuck what everyone else says.

[quote name='Trakan']Yeah. I hate all this review bullshit and people saying they're changing their minds on the game just because it's getting mixed reviews. As someone who's actually played it, I love the game. Everything about it. Don't listen to me though, go play the damn game and fuck what everyone else says.[/quote]
I second this although I'm not a fan of the tutorial.

[quote name='kromekoran']man, ordered Monday night from Amazon, chose 2 day shipping (had $50 gift certificate), and they said it should be delivered on Thursday, now it's been delayed to the 19th for some reason. I was looking forward to playing it this weekend too. and Mass Effect on the 20th...should have just chosen free shipping and saved myself $8 since I probably won't play it much until after ME.[/quote]
Since they delayed it, check your order status. You should still be able to change the shipping method to free shipping.

Just got back from picking it up at TRU. I'll post impressions in a while. I seincerely doubt I'll be dissapointed (especially since it was only $35 bucks).

bread's done
Back