At what age did you get your driver's license?

I realized that I am 17 years old and still need to get a permit to get a license, judging by how much it costs to drive now however it doesn't look like I will drive to much places.

[quote name='Dark Slayer120']Then get in the slower lane.[/quote]

Psssh. We all know that when it comes to a big-rig, there is no such thing as the "slower lane."

[quote name='The Mana Knight']
I still have a lot of difficulty judging the length of the car.[/quote]

There's not really any reason for you to need to judge it. There's a lot of reference points on cars that you can use to know exactly where different points of your car are. They can be a little different for each car, so you need to experiment a little, but they are pretty good rules to follow. The ones that I remember from Driver's Ed (distances may be a bit off as it's been a while, but I think they're correct):

To judge distance of your right tire from a line/curb, etc.
When the line/curb appears to be running into:
-your right headlight--6ft away
-the middle of your car (or hitting your hood ornament)--1-2 inches away
-halfway between that--3 ft away

To judge distance of your left tire from a line/curb, etc.
When the line appears to be running into your left headlight--2 ft?

To determine where your front bumper is:
Before approaching the spot you want to stop at, choose a point about 15-20 ft to the right of it where you want your bumper to be that you will still be able to see when you pull into your spot. As you are pulling up, look to your right at your side mirror. When the point you chose earlier lines up just under your side mirror (or when the line is even with your mirror, different for every vehicle), your front bumper is now even with that point, and therefore your stopping point.

There's another one for telling where your rear bumper is, but I can't remember it. The best way would be to get in an empty parking lot with a long curb and have someone back you up until your rear bumper is even with the curb. Now that you've stopped, notice, as you're looking through the rear passenger-side window, where the curb appears to run into your window. Put a piece of tape there on your window. Now try backing up again without help. When the curb appears to run into your piece of tape, your bumper will be even with the curb.

Those are the ones that I remember, and they help a lot if you're having trouble judging where different parts of your vehicle are. Again, they can vary slightly according to the car, so it's best to find an empty parking lot with someone telling you when to stop, and then seeing what the different reference points look like for your car.

After you get used to the car it just becomes second nature and you don't need to pay so close attention to reference points.

I scored a perfect 100 on my driving exam (~15 years ago)

Two weeks later, in the first rain of the season I made a turn too sharp and did a full on 540 spin out on a major street and crashed into the low divider. Caved in the wheel and the wheel well. I was so shit-scared I tried to keep driving, just to get home and make up some story. I got onto the freeway for about one minute before my tire exploded and I had to pull over and call my mommy from an emergency phone.

So good scores clearly indicate good driving ability.

[quote name='joshythegreat18']Psssh. We all know that when it comes to a big-rig, there is no such thing as the "slower lane."[/quote]

:roll:

k.

I can't believe you guys are so scared of driving. I LOVE driving. Hopping in my car and hitting the highway going 120. Speed is like a drug. I love it. Then driving through traffic is also fun. Weaving in and out of cars. I can fit through gaps in traffic that just don't seem possible. Then of course, there's always racing other cars off of the starting line at a red light. Having a manual transmission just makes it so much more fun. If I could afford the gas, I would drive all day long. For those of you who are scared, get over it. The test in ANY state is easy enough for a blind guy to pass it. Quit being lazy and go out an take the test. If you fail, boo hoo, do it again.

[quote name='Access_Denied']I can't believe you guys are so scared of driving. I LOVE driving. Hopping in my car and hitting the highway going 120. Speed is like a drug. I love it. Then driving through traffic is also fun. Weaving in and out of cars. I can fit through gaps in traffic that just don't seem possible. Then of course, there's always racing other cars off of the starting line at a red light. Having a manual transmission just makes it so much more fun. If I could afford the gas, I would drive all day long. For those of you who are scared, get over it. The test in ANY state is easy enough for a blind guy to pass it. Quit being lazy and go out an take the test. If you fail, boo hoo, do it again.[/QUOTE]

Please get off the road before you kill someone. Shit happens, and you are not invincible.

All right, I'm kind of deciding, should I bite the bullet and take the driver's test in 10 or so days, or should I try getting another permit, and put off getting my license further? I'm just debating because I really need a license so I can do job searching, yet I don't feel I prepared enough. If I get another permit, I have to wait 60 days with the permit until I can get a license.

I don't know how people get the motivation to drive, but my motivation is like most people doing homework early.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']All right, I'm kind of deciding, should I bite the bullet and take the driver's test in 10 or so days, or should I try getting another permit, and put off getting my license further? I'm just debating because I really need a license so I can do job searching, yet I don't feel I prepared enough. If I get another permit, I have to wait 60 days with the permit until I can get a license.

I don't know how people get the motivation to drive, but my motivation is like most people doing homework early.[/quote]

I say go for it. Try to get A LOT of practice in before thoug

[quote name='The Mana Knight']All right, I'm kind of deciding, should I bite the bullet and take the driver's test in 10 or so days, or should I try getting another permit, and put off getting my license further? I'm just debating because I really need a license so I can do job searching, yet I don't feel I prepared enough. If I get another permit, I have to wait 60 days with the permit until I can get a license.

I don't know how people get the motivation to drive, but my motivation is like most people doing homework early.[/quote]

Go for it. You can't loose anything.

I don't know how people get the motivation to drive, but my motivation is like most people doing homework early.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget to bail if things aren't looking bright.

1209001264845.gif

I just read the Indiana driver's manual, and it states one of the things that can cause you to fail the driver's test is if you:

Backs over curb when parallel parking.

I also found out I have to call 10-14 days ahead of time to schedule an appointment for a driving test, so it looks like I may not be able to do it until June. :whistle2:(

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I just read the Indiana driver's manual, and it states one of the things that can cause you to fail the driver's test is if you:

I also found out I have to call 10-14 days ahead of time to schedule an appointment for a driving test, so it looks like I may not be able to do it until June. :whistle2:([/QUOTE]

There are a lot of things that can cause you to fail, but very few things actually will. I doubt you'll have to parallel park, anyway.

My test was about 3 minutes long. Left the parking lot, made a couple turns, came back, the end. I screwed up twice on mine -- mistakes that are difficult to explain -- and still passed just fine. They don't care much. You have to do really bad to fail.

wrong07.jpg
[quote name='The Mana Knight']I just read the Indiana driver's manual, and it states one of the things that can cause you to fail the driver's test is if you:

I also found out I have to call 10-14 days ahead of time to schedule an appointment for a driving test, so it looks like I may not be able to do it until June. :whistle2:([/quote]

[quote name='Koggit']

My test was about 3 minutes long. Left the parking lot, made a couple turns, came back, the end. I screwed up twice on mine -- mistakes that are difficult to explain -- and still passed just fine. They don't care much. You have to do really bad to fail.[/quote]

haha wow the test here is between 45 minutes and an hour

[quote name='VAD3R or Fro']I realized that I am 17 years old and still need to get a permit to get a license, judging by how much it costs to drive now however it doesn't look like I will drive to much places.[/quote]

yea, right now I already have my driver license and its turning out to become bad from High Gas Prices. I don't drive to many places anymore and if I do I try to either car pool with some buddies or take the bus. :cry:

So its really a hard decision to go for the permit and license or just wait. You will probably have to limit your destinations like me.

I live three miles from work now. If I didn't live in Minnesota, I'd sell my fuckin truck and ride a bike. Gas, insurance and upkeep are fees I'd gladly dump

[quote name='Kayden']I live three miles from work now. If I didn't live in Minnesota, I'd sell my fuckin truck and ride a bike. Gas, insurance and upkeep are fees I'd gladly dump[/quote]

Agreed! I should start riding my bike to work. Gas is getting out of hand :wall:

I'll be going to the license branch today to get a permit, again. It will be the 3rd to 4th time I've taken the stupid driver's test (written test). I'm barely going to study (most questions are easy, but some are tricky). It also sucks I cannot attempt a full operator's license until I have a permit for 60 days (I have some decent experience, but I still need more). I'm not really worried about the written test, only worried about the vision test.

I wanted to get my Operator's license initially, until I found out my permit was about to expire and I had to call 10-14 days in advance (which took me to June) ahead of time to arrange it.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I'll be going to the license branch today to get a permit, again. It will be the 3rd to 4th time I've taken the stupid driver's test (written test). I'm barely going to study (most questions are easy, but some are tricky). It also sucks I cannot attempt a full operator's license until I have a permit for 60 days (I have some decent experience, but I still need more). I'm not really worried about the written test, only worried about the vision test.

I wanted to get my Operator's license initially, until I found out my permit was about to expire and I had to call 10-14 days in advance (which took me to June) ahead of time to arrange it.[/quote]

Don't make the same mistake again. Use these 60 days wisely and drive all over the place. Drive instead of playing video games. You only have to pass this test once.

[quote name='ThatMangoKnife'](I have some decent experience, but I still need more).[/quote]GTHD is pretty cool. :cool: [quote name='ThatMangoKnife']I'm not really worried about the written test, only worried about the vision test.
[/QUOTE]

Glasses.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']The thing is, this guy was WAY behind me and out of no where, he's behind me. [/quote]

This is a pet peeve of mine cars don’t come “out of nowhere”. Whenever someone makes that claim what it really means is that they weren’t paying attention.

I got my driver's license at 25 because there was never a need for it. Public Transportation or bike. Also about the same time that I could afford a car.

It is on 18 years you can get a license. To get a license we need to pass some tests on driving office then we can get the license. After getting license only we can drive vehicles.
========================================
brucely
california dui

I'm going to get my learners permit this October at the age of 17. Yeah its a little late but I am planning to get my actual license on my birthday month.

I got mine at 18, right before I headed off for college. I think I got my permit only a few months before, also. Not having to take driving lessons for the win! Of course, my parents still made me take it, haha

19. Still only have my permit. I don't feel like paying money for a status symbol. And, yes, I would be paying it, because my parents don't baby me. Enjoy real life, kids.

My status is that I still have a driving permit, no license yet, although I'm eligible to apply.

I've gotten much better at driving and can now drive on U.S. Highways going 60mph. I still haven't driven on an Interstate yet going 70mph. I still need to work on parking skills, driving at night, drive on snow/ice/rain, and so on. I think I'm pretty much ready to take the test (although I need to practice parallel parking), but my parents are the ones holding me back (despite my age, my car is under their name).

I am 16 now, and I was gonna get my license. However, I got screwed over by the DMV, because apparently the permit I had been driving with for a whole year wasn't in their system for some screwed up reason. So I got it now and I just need to wait 6 more months and I will have my license.

I got my license around 18 1/2 - 19ish. A total late bloomer when it comes to just about everything. I flunked out of my first test because the officer was already in a terrible mood before I got there and complete douche ("We will drive with both hands or we will not drive at all" ...BITCH I GOT BOTH HANDS ON THE WHEEL! WHAT THE fuck!? QUIT MAKING ME NERVOUS!). The second time around I choked on maneuverability (Drove under the speed limit, changed lanes while making a turn) but as you know the third time is always a charm.

Now the only things I loathe about driving aside from fellow drivers with cell phones or women putting on make up while behind the wheel are gas prices and my mother's backseat driving.

EDIT: I just noticed the word 'fuck' isn't filtered in all caps. Curiouser and curiouser.

16. Passed the test first time with no problems.
Couldn't imagine not having a license or going without a car after driving for the past 14 years.

TMK, you're always whining about being stuck at home with controlling parents. Growing some balls, getting a license, a job and a car is the first step to getting out of there.

Don't remember if I've replied to this yet, but I got my license at 16. Had it suspended for a few months (I lawyered up and had the suspension lifted early...and kept off my record...courts just took forever to set the court date...frustrating). I didn't do anything stupid to get it suspended, laws for licenses for those under 18 are very strict (2 moving violations=suspension).

Here in IL we had to take two classes for it. The first was a writen class and I passed it fine. Hell the writen test I got a pefect on. Then the next class my first day they kicked me out of because I was the last on the list and they forgot someone else was to take it before me. So I go back to the class later and they lost my writen test so I had to retake it and missed I think 2.

The second class was the driveing and simulators. I would sleep during the simulators and get yelled at some times for it. The were old and you could just keep the thing showing you were going around 45 and get a perfect on it every time. The guy teaching the class even told us this and said he didn't look at the perfect scores and but we needed 3 of them. So all he wanted us to do is come to class and try to stay awake. If we could do that he would pass us because as they way they had it set up he thought the class was a joke.

The actual driving part the teacher I had was female and the other 3 in the car were all female. We only had 4 women in the class and the other one was some loud mouth that no one liked. The 3 that were in the car I was in were hot only they were nothing but sluts and one that was into drugs. It was great at times they would put me in the middle in the back and get mad because they could not see out the mirror and tell me to put my head down. I would just look at the drugie and then the slut and put my head almost all the way to the drugies crotch. The course was almost over when someone finaly asked how the hell I got in the car with the 3 hot women. No one could figure it out and even the other driving instructors were asking how the hell I got that lucky.

Anyway I don't know what age I got my license but I want to say it was 17 or maybe I was almost 18. I was told by the simulator instructor that he was going to pass me and he subed for the normal behind the wheel instructor and said I was good. He told me he didn't see what she was saying but she didn't like the way I drove. The behind the wheel instructor came up to me and told me she should fail me and make me retake the course. However she was going to pass me. So here is a case where I should have failed but they gave me my blue slip to take the test anyway.

The day of the test I might have had 5-10 of the 25 hours needed to take it. My mom just said the hell with it I will make the rest up that is the only way you will end up being able to take this test. I would say 5-10 is even pushing it. I never liked to drive at all. So I go to take the test only lucky me I take it the same day as everyone else that was in the class after me. So I was there almost all day. The guy giving me the test told me he should fail me but was going to pass me anyway. So twice I have been told that I should have faild but they gave them to me anyway.

Like I said it was 17 or maybe even 18 I think I was the only person in highschool that did not want to drive.

Out of curiosity, did others here have to parallel park for their driving test? When looking at the Indiana Driver's Manual, starting on page 29 (says on page 31), it says how the driver examiner will judge how you parallel park. I'm busy trying to read the driver's test so I know what people lose points for so I avoid making that mistake. Once I look into whether my social security card and birth certificate having a different affects anything, I'm going to call the DMV to schedule a test.

http://www.in.gov/bmv/files/Indiana_Driver_Manual_-_Chapter_One.pdf

Before I do try, I will take a few long drives around town (such as driving to GameStop with a parent). Enough is enough, I'm going to try to get this crap done regardless of how nervous I feel.

I completely failed the parallel parking part of my test with the instructor in the passenger seat.
I was pretty embarrassed by I passed overall.

It was only the second time I had ever tried, never practiced. :)

Parallel parking isn't that hard. Especially if you're in a smaller car. When you're just going to the DMV for the test then you should practice by yourself at whatever you're not good at doing. I took the test while I was in school, so it cost me $100 and it took like a week or so where they actually had you practice everything and told you what to do before you were tested.

[quote name='SpazX']Parallel parking isn't that hard. Especially if you're in a smaller car. When you're just going to the DMV for the test then you should practice by yourself at whatever you're not good at doing. I took the test while I was in school, so it cost me $100 and it took like a week or so where they actually had you practice everything and told you what to do before you were tested.[/QUOTE]I'm in a somewhat smaller car, but it's not really small. I'm still a bit worried because I try studying the concept, but don't completely get it (maybe I'll try building Lego cars or something and test it, lol).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_parking
http://www.fearlessdriver.com/stresslessparallelparking.html

What I'm going to do is have my parents part one of their cars on my street tomorrow, and I'm going to try parking around it.

If anyone at CAG has taken a driver's test in Indiana within the last 5-8 years, please reply in this thread or send me a PM sometime. I just really want to get more info on how it's like (seeing if what my friend told me 10 years ago still happens). I just want to know so I can definitely assure I'm prepared for this. I'm making it a goal for myself that I get my license no later than the end of October.

bread's done
Back