At what age did you get your driver's license?

18. I bummed rides off of friends til then. I didn't want to deal with permit BS, so I just waited until I was 18.. went that morning, stood in line for 3 hours, took the test and aced it.

Got my permit the day I turned 16.

Got my license 1 month and 2 days later (1st possible day I could have taken the test.)

[quote name='eliter1']It's a hassle to get a driver's permit in California, you have to go to driving school for some hours so I just waited until I was 18 to get my license, I drove without a permit tho.[/quote]

Yea, same in NY too. It is a hassle to get a driver permit and you have to go to driving school, drivers Ed.

I got my driver's permit when I was 17 years old and when I was 18, I got my NY driver's license. Then later on I transfered my NY license to a AZ one with no problem.

I just got my license 2 weeks ago at the age of 17. In California as someone stated, its in our curriculum to have a driver's ed class, so its not that bad.

16 and when taking the test there was a huge tornado warning and it was hailing pretty bad outside. All we did was pull out of the parking lot, turned around maybe 100 feet away and came back.....I was in the car for maybe 3 minutes. After my test they actually had to stop all the testing since the storm was that bad.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Ouch, I thought I was pretty old (25 years old). I hope he gets his sometime soon. I'll admit I feel very shameful for being this way, but what else can I do.[/quote]

25 isn't that bad. A few family members of mine still haven't even gotten their permits and they're 30+.

I got my permit a few months ago, 16 at the time. I was lazy about studying, and building it up to be some horrible thing that I was never going to pass. Would have my license by now if I wasn't such a coward.

[quote name='assassinX']I just got my license 2 weeks ago at the age of 17. In California as someone stated, its in our curriculum to have a driver's ed class, so its not that bad.[/QUOTE]

My school here in Hayward, Ca didn't offer training classes. Not enough money, or some such.

As for me, I got my driver's permit at 15, and let it expire. I didn't actually get my driver's license until I was 20 as I didn't need one before. Honestly, I only got my driver's license so I could drive myself to my pilot school. Quote my mother: "You're not getting your pilot's license before your driver's license."

Got my permit at 15.5, then BS'd around for nearly two years until I got my license the week before my senior year of high school started.

[quote name='mykevermin']Thirty days after my 16th birthday; as soon as I could.

Got arrested the same night, too. Heh.[/QUOTE]

Doin' what, hooligan?

[quote name='magiic']In my province it is $75 a try. So I'd rather make sure Im going to pass it versus try it and fail and keep trying till I fail. I think we only have to wait a week between tries but at $75 a try I'd rather not fail it many times.[/QUOTE]

For sure. In Florida it is free, so I would say go do it for practice. Obviously for 75$, you want to pass on your first try.

Would also like to point out that here in Michigan, when I was a youngster, the drivers education program was free when enrolled in high school. However, if you failed out or didn't take it, then you had to go to a private driving school and those are expensive.

Also, my older sister (who is now 30) still does not have her license.

TMK your like what...25-27 and you don't have a drivers license? No wonder why you can't get a girl friend. What do you expect her to stand on your pegs on your bike as you "cruise around"?

Got permit at 18. It expired. Now 19. Don't really want/see the need to drive, but family is pushing I get a license. Gas costs way too much.

I wanted to take some sort of driving class, but not doing it in school means I'm paying out the ass for whats basically some unlicensed person to tutor me. Michigan FTL?

17, about a month and a half before I turned 18. Driving test in CT was honestly rather easy, and I don't understand how a former classmate failed it 3 times. Except, for all the drugs, maybe.

Also got my license on April Fools Day, which I always found humorous.

got my permit the month I turned 16, and got my license at 17 1/2 (earliest possible by PA law, iirc). Couldn't imagine being without it. Household rules meant as soon as I hit 16 I got a part-time job, and I wouldn't think of burdening someone with picking me up/dropping me off.

Permit at 14 and license at 15. I started driving a tractor at age 10 and would drive it on the highway, when needed, long before i could legally drive a car. I got my first car about a month or so after i got my license as my parents were tired of driving me the 25 miles or so that it was to school. My little brother did about the same and got a car within a week of turning 15 as he had to drive 60 miles after school everyday to go to soccer practice. Looking back there is no way my parents could have let us do that today, gas is too expensive, but back then it was only 89-93 cents a gallon. and not 3.50 like today.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I'm surprised so many people's parents were lenient and let their kids drive at 16. My parents weren't trusting of me and told me "heck no", I'm not driving until I'm in my 20's.[/quote]

In my eight years on the road, I have yet to experience the joys of ticket reception or the thrill of automotive wrestling. But I have had to avoid them, as other people on the road suck. :bomb: Some of us just mature faster than others.

[quote name='Kayden']19. I'm 23 now and I hate driving. I only keep my license for my motorcycle.[/quote]

Meh, I agree. It was nice for the first few months, but after that it's a hassle to have to deal with all the other bad drivers on the road, and gas and insurance. I wish we had better and cheaper public transportation, which I would use.

[quote name='Dark Slayer120']TMK your like what...25-27 and you don't have a drivers license? No wonder why you can't get a girl friend. What do you expect her to stand on your pegs on your bike as you "cruise around"?[/QUOTE]That actually has nothing to do with it, because I rarely tell anyone in real life this. Very few people who know me in college know this. Only girl I ever told this was the girl I was going to go out to dinner with, and she didn't care (It was also the same girl I started the thread about here).

When I became a teenager, I couldn’t wait until I turned 16 so I can drive on my own. At the age of 15 (close to be 16), I wanted to take driving school (I was in the 8th grade), but my parents wouldn’t let me, told me that I should wait. A year later, I asked my parents again. They let me take the book portion, but would not allow me to drive yet. At the age of 17, my parents still wouldn’t. The reason I had to wait was because my older sister started driving at 15 (having a permit), and she ended up changing for the worst (She ended up vandalizing property, got into drugs, got a few DUIs, way too many speeding tickets, several accidents with an insurance rate of over $100 a month, grades going way downhill in H.S. causing her to almost fail out, etc.). At the age of 18, I somewhat stopped bothering my parents because I became too busy. Due to getting off to a bad start in high school, I worked extremely hard to improve myself so I could get into a good college. I was always taking classes and busy learning stuff over the summers. I ended up going away to college, taking classes often; therefore, I didn’t have any time to practice driving, and I was away from my parents to help me out. I did get my permit in mid 2004, but only practiced two times due to rarely being at home.

[quote name='Trakan']With the amount of time you spend visiting CAG and the amount of time you say you spend on other forums/PS3 games, I don't believe that you don't have enough time to get your license.

Just use your time more efficiently.[/QUOTE]Let's just say, during a semester in college away from home, I really didn't have the time. During the summer while I'm home, it may be possible, but it has been a long time since I was in that situation. It's like, while I'm at college, I have a permit, but whose car could I drive???

Also, I'll admit my permit expires on 5/31/08. Is it possible from next week (starting Monday) to be able to learn enough driving to pass the driver's test before that date, so I can update my ID? Otherwise, I will either renew my permit or just get another Indiana I.D. (my previous one expired last year, so I've been using my permit as my I.D.).

Wow... I would figure most would have got theirs at ASAP... where I lived in Va they took and gave you a week "on the range" with other students, then you had a week on the road... asshole student teacher failed me the first week on the range, even though NOBODY saw me do anything any differently than the others, and I parallel parked much better than he (he even knocked over the cones)... took a final test the day I got my license months later and had no problems whatsoever

[quote name='benjamouth']Slightly OT but a good story none the less.

A girl I knew at school failed her driving test because on the way out of the test center she hit the examiners car. He turned to her and said "I don't think there's much point going any further, you've failed".

Epically failed was more like it :D.[/quote]

Not as epic, but a girl in our class failed by taking a left out of the DMV onto a one way street.

[quote name='chasemurata']In my eight years on the road, I have yet to experience the joys of ticket reception or the thrill of automotive wrestling. But I have had to avoid them, as other people on the road suck. :bomb: Some of us just mature faster than others.[/quote]
Wow. :applause: Since getting my license nearly four years ago, I've been pulled over like eight or nine times, and have gotten four speeding tickets.

[quote name='Dynasty1756']Yea, same in NY too. It is a hassle to get a driver permit and you have to go to driving school, drivers Ed. [/quote]

Unless things have radically changed since I got my license (they very well could have, I'm :oldman:), the permit test was like a 10 question multiple choice and true/false quiz. Pass that and you were good. Then to get tested for the license, you had to either (a) take driver's Ed or (b) take the 6-hour defensive driver's thing before doing your roadtest. Going to driver's ed was more beneficial, however, as it actually provided real driving experience and allowed students who had passed the class to get their night license as 17, not 18.

Let’s see, I got mine when I was 18. I know! What took so long!?!

I was in a bad spot or sorts, not to mention I didn’t have a part time job or anything and my mom always said, “I’m not buying you a car, YOU are going to buy yourself a car.”

So when I was 18 I had my full time job, worked up enough money and went and got my license.

It was easy… Took a couple question test, if you at least had common sense and looked over the booklet you were sure to ace it. Then I had to drive for about 15 minutes and show a lady at the DMV that I knew what I was doing. Parallel parked with ONE try. :D

I think I only get a negative remark for one thing and that was “not stopping behind the white line at a stop sign”. Kind of pissed me off because I did stop, but then I had to slowly edge forward to see around the huge fuck ing bush so I could make a left hand turn without getting smacked by another car.

[quote name='Mattte']Not as epic, but a girl in our class failed by taking a left out of the DMV onto a one way street.[/quote]

You know what....

I also remembered this other guy who was taking his test in NY to get his license, he failed because he didn't stop when a school bus had its stop sign out. He drove right past it.

I drove across the metro area to take my road test and then failed because the practice course was BS and the instructor would do things like tell me to take a left 50 feet before the turn while I'm in the right lane of a four lane mock freeway. She marked me down for turning from the second left lane even though thats as far over as I could get with the warning she gave. Then she marked me down for making a right from the second right lane even though there was a car parked in the first. I told her to tell me in advance when I needed to turn because when I drive I know where I'm going. She said she'd tell me where I needed to go when I needed to go there.

Bottom line, women shouldn't be driving, let alone driving instructors.

I think you can get one at 14 if you convince the DMZ you work on a family farm. Some soft of "farm act" loophole. Might only apply to tractors and shit though.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']I think you can get one at 14 if you convince the DMZ you work on a family farm. Some soft of "farm act" loophole. Might only apply to tractors and shit though.[/quote]

In Texas, if you have a truck that has the special "Farm Truck" License Plate, anyone older then 14 can drive it within like 30 miles of the house.

I'm 25 and still have no license. It scares me shitless to drive a two ton vehicle, with idiots driving everywhere...no matter where I go, its always the same: 'The drivers are awful here.'

[quote name='Darke Katt']I'm 25 and still have no license. It scares me shitless to drive a two ton vehicle, with idiots driving everywhere...no matter where I go, its always the same: 'The drivers are awful here.'[/QUOTE]I understand the feeling, and I also worry about some semi-truck hitting me from the side every time I ride in a car.

Got mine the day I turned 16. Skipped school to get it.

And I'd have to agree with the guy on the first page, the US driving test is ridiculously easy. No wonder we have so many dumbass drivers on the road.

I got my permit at 15.. got a couple tickets and couldn't get my license till I was almost 17. Since then, no tickets.

One interesting thing... I used to be able to parallel park fairly accurately and quickly, but since I don't really use that skill any more, I pretty much forgot how to do it well. No biggie I guess.

I got my license when I was 20, failed once, then waited a few months and finally passed it. I still don't remember when I took the picture for my license, just passing the test, and then a few weeks later it came.

The day I turned 16. Back then it was un-restricted. I could drive anywhere, anytime of day with anyone in the car.

I'm all for restricted licenses for kids now...they all suck as drivers. And get off the damn phone.

TBW

bread's done
Back