Atlanta CAG Thread, v2.0

Hey, homepersons:

Stephen King will be signing at the Walmart on Hwy 9 just North of exit 12 (McFarland) on Weds. December 14th.

Out of the way for some, obviously, but I guess he's solidly in the suburban market at this point in his career. Anyone think they might go? They are supposed to give out 400 guaranteed signing tickets at 7am that morning, then the signing happens at 7pm that night.

[quote name='El Gray']Hey, homepersons:

Stephen King will be signing at the Walmart on Hwy 9 just North of exit 12 (McFarland) on Weds. December 14th.

Out of the way for some, obviously, but I guess he's solidly in the suburban market at this point in his career. Anyone think they might go? They are supposed to give out 400 guaranteed signing tickets at 7am that morning, then the signing happens at 7pm that night.[/QUOTE]

i'm going to have to look up where that is but if it's not too far away then count me in! my favorite author for sure. Thanx for the heads up!

[quote name='El Gray']To clarify, that's in Alpharetta, West of 400.[/QUOTE]

Ahh, that's about an hour away from me....but worth it so i'll be there. just kind of sucks i'll have to hang out Alpharetta for that long. Anything inexpensive to do there? i never really looked around just went to college and went home.

[quote name='Clown069']Ahh, that's about an hour away from me....but worth it so i'll be there. just kind of sucks i'll have to hang out Alpharetta for that long. Anything inexpensive to do there? i never really looked around just went to college and went home.[/QUOTE]

There's a Fry's 1 exit south of there off of Alpharetta Hwy. Always fun to go to if you're not near one.
Taco Mac a few blocks from the Fry's if for lunch or Ru Sans just past Fry's if you like cheap sushi.
Between exits 8-9 is Northpoint Mall. It has a Total Wine if you need anything alcoholic. They have a massive selection and excellent prices. I definitely recommend stopping by sometime if you enjoy a good drink.

I used to work at exit 11 so food and shopping is all I know. :(

You could try going up north a bit further and hang out around Lake Lanier, though this isn't the best time of year for that.

[quote name='animemaniac14']my g/f will be overjoyed to hear about the stephen king singing :whistle2:D any idea what a good time to get there would be?[/QUOTE]

Well, they're starting ticket distro at 7am, which sucks. I don't know how many people will actually show up right away to snag tickets, but the listing said 400 GUARANTEED tickets, and 200 NON-GUARANTEED tickets would be given out.

Then, the signing starts at 7pm, so I guess you'd get there a little while before that to line up.

Here's the info page:
http://www.conventionscene.com/2011/11/30/ga-112263-signing/

FYI Target selling Special Edition of Skyward Sword for 30 percent off Clearance. I only found one, none at Perimeter,Holcomb Bridge, or Northpoint,FYI.

Anyone go to the Stephen King lineup?
Fiance was planning on going around 2-3am and we swung by around 7-8pm last night to get more details. There were already 70ish people in line, so we just picked up a tent and stayed the night. Only around 100 or so before midnight, then when I woke up it looked to be well past 400.

#75,76 :)

[quote name='mazinga z']FYI Target selling Special Edition of Skyward Sword for 30 percent off Clearance. I only found one, none at Perimeter,Holcomb Bridge, or Northpoint,FYI.[/QUOTE]

Is this the bundle with the gold remote?

[quote name='ev1lg00dguy']Anyone go to the Stephen King lineup?
Fiance was planning on going around 2-3am and we swung by around 7-8pm last night to get more details. There were already 70ish people in line, so we just picked up a tent and stayed the night. Only around 100 or so before midnight, then when I woke up it looked to be well past 400.

#75,76 :)[/QUOTE]

My girlfriend and her friend were there numbers 120 and 121. I wasn't able to go due to work
:whistle2:(

[quote name='animemaniac14']My girlfriend and her friend were there numbers 120 and 121. I wasn't able to go due to work
:whistle2:([/QUOTE]

i wasn't able to since i'm broke.... maybe he'll come back sometime.

Too bad you guys couldn't make it, he's a really nice guy with a good sense of humor.
If it makes you feel better he only spoke for about 5 minutes then you had about 5s total in front of him when he was signing your book.

The worst part of the wait was in the afternoon. 4-7 with standing room only was miserable. At least overnight we had plenty of space.
Walmart had it backwards. First 100 line up at 4, second 100 line up at 430 and so on. Not sure why the first 100 couldn't just show up at 630 and skip to the front.

I just went by the Edgewood Best Buy to pick up my $5 Dragon Quest IX DS, and there was one copy of MOTORSTORM: APOCALYPSE left on the shelf. You should be able to get that for $5 if you PM their site in-store. I considered it, but ultimately left it for someone else. Go for it!

My local Blockbuster is closing down (Cumming, Ga), Games are 10% off and Movies are 14% off. Are there any other Blockbuster locations around Atlanta that are closing down too?

Both snellville locations are closing. That's the one on 124 in the publix plaza and the one on dogwood and five forks that's technically in lawrenceville. I was told the only gwinnett ones left are the grayson and norcross stores.

Yeah, which one? I only ever hit the Crabapple one, the store at the end of Windward, and the one at State Bridge/Jones Bridge. I didn't even bother going to any of those while I was up there for Christmas, because-- TOO MANY UNPLAYED GAMES ON MY SHELF.

Ponce store is still holding on, as far as I can tell.

The Sears on Roswell and Johnson Ferry is closing (well turning into a KMart I guess). 20% of video games and a bunch of other stuff, but I don't think VG hardware is included. The 3DS wasn't anyway.

I know the blockbuster on Roswell in Sandy Springs was closing as I heard a clerk say the last day to rent from them was 12/4 last month. I haven't gone back to see if they were having a closing sale or not.

I found a lot of clearance items over the past 5 years at that Sears, hpbbes. Damn shame. It probably has to do with the announcement that came out yesterday that Sears/K-Mart would be closing a bunch of stores.

On a side note, I am moving to The Woodlands, TX next week for a job so I bid you all a fond farewell.

[quote name='hpbbes']The Sears on Roswell and Johnson Ferry is closing (well turning into a KMart I guess). 20% of video games and a bunch of other stuff, but I don't think VG hardware is included. The 3DS wasn't anyway.[/QUOTE]

I guess it depends who you talk to, I was told that the X360 & PS3 was part of the clearence sale.

That location was originally a Kmart before it turned into a Sears. I would rather have a Kmart since they are virtually non-existant in the Atlanta area...

I've done well at the Sears too in my 3ish years here. From a non-video game perspective, my family really likes Lands End and they always have good sales, especially on kid's clothes.

I didn't pick anything up and would never complain about discount video games, but you'd think that most of their stock would just be shifted over to KMart.

[quote name='Logical Dolphin']At the corner of Bethelview road and Canton Hwy. It was the only location left in Forsyth county.[/QUOTE]

Huh, never knew about that one, and it's not terribly far from my Mom's house off 141. Oh well.

[quote name='El Gray']Yeah, which one? I only ever hit the Crabapple one, the store at the end of Windward, and the one at State Bridge/Jones Bridge. I didn't even bother going to any of those while I was up there for Christmas, because-- TOO MANY UNPLAYED GAMES ON MY SHELF.

Ponce store is still holding on, as far as I can tell.[/QUOTE]

I just called the Windward store is closing too. You might want check your closest stores, since they just started the liquidation sale. My closest one will close in mid Feb. Apparently the employees got the notification the store was closing a week and a half ago.

Since all of my closest stores have all closed down, I will probably convert to Netflix, because the in store exchanges was one of the best features of Blockbuster Online...

Welp, I spoke too soon. The Ponce store is closing!

14% off used BDs. I got LET THE RIGHT ONE IN and THE FALL for about $13 total, so that was cool.

[quote name='El Gray']The one at Jones Bridge / State Bridge still lives, I guess. That's considered Johns Creek, right? Not aware of any others.[/QUOTE]

Ill check when I drop some stuff of at Goodwill later in the week.

If you would keep Tyler Rolison in your thoughts and prayers, I'd greatly appreciate it. He's a son of a friend of mine and he was involved in a car accident that broke his C3-C7 vertebrae. He has feeling in his body and extremities but cannot move his fingers or lower extremities. He has damage to the front of his spinal cord. He will be transferred to the Shepherd Center on Monday. Worse case after Shepherd is he will be a quadriplegic. Best case he will walk but will never fully recover.

I've seen miracles happen before and I'm hoping for another one.

[quote name='mitch079']If you would keep Tyler Rolison in your thoughts and prayers, I'd greatly appreciate it. He's a son of a friend of mine and he was involved in a car accident that broke his C3-C7 vertebrae. He has feeling in his body and extremities but cannot move his fingers or lower extremities. He has damage to the front of his spinal cord. He will be transferred to the Shepherd Center on Monday. Worse case after Shepherd is he will be a quadriplegic. Best case he will walk but will never fully recover.

I've seen miracles happen before and I'm hoping for another one.[/QUOTE]

So sorry to hear that, mitch. Sending positive vibes in his direction.

[quote name='El Gray']The one at Jones Bridge / State Bridge still lives, I guess. That's considered Johns Creek, right? Not aware of any others.[/QUOTE]

I was told at the Cumming store, that the Crabapple store is staying open...

Cool. Found out the other day that the Ponce store is supposed to stay open 'til mid March. Also, they are making no effort to sticker anything. So, that's awesome. Want to buy something? Get ready to get every price checked before you do so. No change in % off yet.

Just got a code for xbox360 saints row 3 DLC season pass AND ps3 uncharted 3 season pass $45 value for free at the Hiram, Georgia Best Buy store touch screen thing tonight. I was with a couple of friends who also printed their codes, so I am not sure if it will still be active tomorrow, but in case it is and you are out and about...I'd check it out

[quote name='Ellahjay88']Just got a code for xbox360 saints row 3 DLC season pass AND ps3 uncharted 3 season pass $45 value for free at the Hiram, Georgia Best Buy store touch screen thing tonight. I was with a couple of friends who also printed their codes, so I am not sure if it will still be active tomorrow, but in case it is and you are out and about...I'd check it out[/QUOTE]

Lucky, i'd love to have the SR3 Season Pass.

The State Bridge BBuster in Alpharetta/Johns Creek is closing, too-- Mid-February. I stopped by there today after a lunch mission to Roswell. Good selection of used BDs, and they're 30% off, BUT they are doing it weird.

If you see one marked for $5.99, it's actually gonna ring up at $7.99, and then get the 30% taken off. As far as I could tell, they just applied some cheaper stickers that are NEAR what the actual discounted price will be. Easier for some to deal with, but it threw off my tallying, ticked me off, and meant that I left a few movies on the counter without buying them. I was expecting to pay 70% of 5.99, which is how it has worked at EVERY OTHER CLOSING BLOCKBUSTER.

Anyway, yeah, decent deals if you're near there. 20% off used games. 10% off new BDs.

Cartersville, GA Blockbuster put up their closing signs this past Friday. Lots of stock, but the markdown isn't that great yet (10% off).

Maybe someone can give me answer on this. Rented Modern Warfare 3 from Sandy Springs Blockbuster back in November. Was doing the monthly pass of 1 movie or game out at a time. Went by the Blockbuster towards the middle or end of December and saw that it closed. They must have cancelled my subscription as it isn't coming out of my account anymore. But what should I do with the game? Do I take it back to another store? I never received a call that the store was canceling or to return the game. Nor have I received call from any other Blockbuster.

[quote name='Watto11107']Maybe someone can give me answer on this. Rented Modern Warfare 3 from Sandy Springs Blockbuster back in November. Was doing the monthly pass of 1 movie or game out at a time. Went by the Blockbuster towards the middle or end of December and saw that it closed. They must have cancelled my subscription as it isn't coming out of my account anymore. But what should I do with the game? Do I take it back to another store? I never received a call that the store was canceling or to return the game. Nor have I received call from any other Blockbuster.[/QUOTE]

Well i'd say if the store's closed and you haven't been charged for it, just keep it; they're apparently not worried about it at this point.

Does anyone have any experience with getting back a stolen xbox? Like dealing with MS to get the IP address of the console and whatnot? My ex won't give me back my xbox and may or may not have sold it yet or be selling it soon. I've filed a police report so I'm just waiting for them to call me about it. If anyone happens to find a guy named Brian selling a 360S near Roswell thats him.

Wow, that sucks. No, no experience with anything like that. Good luck!

Anyone else in town playing STAR WARS: THE OLD REPUBLIC? If so, let me know. I'm enjoying it pretty well so far.

[quote name='El Gray']Wow, that sucks. No, no experience with anything like that. Good luck!

Anyone else in town playing STAR WARS: THE OLD REPUBLIC? If so, let me know. I'm enjoying it pretty well so far.[/QUOTE]

Yep have a level 41 Trooper and level 18 Inquisitor on Hedar Soongh.

[quote name='whisper22']Does anyone have any experience with getting back a stolen xbox? Like dealing with MS to get the IP address of the console and whatnot? My ex won't give me back my xbox and may or may not have sold it yet or be selling it soon. I've filed a police report so I'm just waiting for them to call me about it. If anyone happens to find a guy named Brian selling a 360S near Roswell thats him.[/QUOTE]

:hot:Yikes!
I'm not sure how MS will handle this at all. Hope everything works out for you.

[quote name='Clown069']Yep have a level 41 Trooper and level 18 Inquisitor on Hedar Soongh.[/QUOTE]

My Trooper is on The Ebon Hawk. Also have a newb Sith on Mind Trick.

I went to the last remaining open Blockbuster that I know of (in Crabapple), and I couldn't see anything that they are doing that would keep themselves open. Since it is a 30min drive for me, I won't be using that store.

To me it is pretty obvious that Blockbuster can't maintain the retail store business for much longer, when there are cheaper alternatives. Dish network likely primarily purchased Blockbuster in the first place so they could buy the branding...

bread's done
Back