B2 G1 @ Gamestop (YMMV)

dlg3rd

CAG Veteran
I talked to a gamestop employee tonight and they said to expect a B2G1 free sale to go into effect next week. Not sure if it's just for this location (Hampton, VA | Peninsula Town Center) since it's a new location, but I doubt it because normally that would be a grand opening type of deal if only for one store, right?

I guess we'll have to see.

YMMV - Confirmed today !

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='crunchewy']B2G1 is great, but only if you can find 3 matched titles and without buying crap you don't actually want. It's doable, but takes real effort.[/QUOTE]

True it's best to find matching priced titles, but for me i'm just so behind on my purchases (my backlog is down to about 10 or so) it's more of a luxury than a requirement. I'll be getting them all eventually anyway so getting a cheaper one free is better than getting 0 free.

Asked the manager when I picked up GOW3 today if a B2G1 deal was coming up. He said he heard that they might not do them anymore because of the success of the 50% trade in deal.

If true then I'm guessing GS may start doing these type of deals a couple times a year and keep things as is for the remainder of the time.

But then again nobody knew about the 50% trade in deal till it happened so you never know.

[quote name='pv41584']Asked the manager when I picked up GOW3 today if a B2G1 deal was coming up. He said he heard that they might not do them anymore because of the success of the 50% trade in deal.

If true then I'm guessing GS may start doing these type of deals a couple times a year and keep things as is for the remainder of the time.

But then again nobody knew about the 50% trade in deal till it happened so you never know.[/QUOTE]

The reason this doesn't make sense is because with the 50% trade in deal, they dramatically increased their used stock. B2G1 brings in the customers not only with credit, but cash. Basically, they just "sold" a bunch of credit that they will turn into cash during a big sale. (i.e. give credit for games, sell games for cash)

Hopefully this is true, I have been passing up on all of the other B2G1's at other stores so I could burn all of my credit instead of cash.

[quote name='The Assassin']I don't know if anyones said, but is this deal on used games, or new?[/QUOTE]

As always, used.

Has Gamestop had one of these for new games to where the question is necessary?

[quote name='Interfeci']As always, used.

Has Gamestop had one of these for new games to where the question is necessary?[/QUOTE]

Well I never pay attention to used game sales so I wouldn't know. I never buy anything Used.

[quote name='The Assassin']Well I never pay attention to used game sales so I wouldn't know. I never buy anything Used.[/QUOTE]

You are wasting a lot of money then.

I don't know why everyone has to be attacking me on here for. I was just asking if it was on used or new games. Everyone needs to chill out.

YMMV, Take it for what it's worth, etc: I was in gamestop today and asked the clerk if they'd be having a b2g1 soon. Hey at first said they never tell them more than a day or so ahead of time, but then he said that they'd be definitley having one with the game days sale. So take this for what it's worth, it's more or less what we were assuming, just thought i'd let you know what I was told.

[quote name='The Assassin']I don't know why everyone has to be attacking me on here for. I was just asking if it was on used or new games. Everyone needs to chill out.[/QUOTE]

Normal reaction to the question. You'll see it in every thread. After a while we just assume it's general knowledge Gamestop is only profitable when it comes to used game sales like these, and never new.

With all the games they're getting traded in with the +50% they need to have a b2g1 to clear stock. I don't shop there unless there is a b2g1 sale.

Yeah I went in tonight to trade in bioshock 2 b4 the 50% ends and asked the guy. Told me they never know until like a day before it happens.

Do these games come with a game on them? Hmmm, I am not sure I am ready for these here vidyagames all you young ones are playing :p

[quote name='pigeon12']Do these games come with a game on them? Hmmm, I am not sure I am ready for these here vidyagames all you young ones are playing :p[/QUOTE]

well pigeon, my understanding is that you get one of these "games" and put it in a box with an x on it. Now when you put the game in this "x box" you can play a game that appears on your TV.

so to answer your question, No. The games don't come on the "game". The game is on TV, and the "game" you buy just turns your TV to the right channel.

Hope that helps.

[quote name='The Assassin']I never buy anything Used.[/QUOTE]

Why the curse word would you waste so much money? I only buy new when its one im just dying to play immediately. Unless a new game is on sale, if it's beyond launch week I always buy used. Just as good and much less expensive.

[quote name='Drclaw411']Why the curse word would you waste so much money? I only buy new when its one im just dying to play immediately. Unless a new game is on sale, if it's beyond launch week I always buy used. Just as good and much less expensive.[/QUOTE]
A fuck'n men

[quote name='Drclaw411']Why the curse word would you waste so much money? I only buy new when its one im just dying to play immediately. Unless a new game is on sale, if it's beyond launch week I always buy used. Just as good and much less expensive.[/QUOTE]

Shhhh...don't ask him that, man! We need guys like him so that GS will make enough profit to throw us CAGs the *occasional* B2G1 bone, thus making whatever store credit we have w/ GS somewhat worthwhile. ;)

[quote name='csmason1']Shhhh...don't ask him that, man! We need guys like him so that GS will make enough profit to throw us CAGs the *occasional* B2G1 bone, thus making whatever store credit we have w/ GS somewhat worthwhile. ;)[/QUOTE]

ooo good point! in fact, Mr. The Assassin? If you could go spend a ton of money on new games at gamestop, that'd be great. The rest of us used-game-buying common folk are itching for a B2G1. Thanks!

Hmm, I should go to the new Gamestop location that just opened up in Henrietta, NY. I was shocked when they opened it up as we already have TWO in the mall just down the street.

Get Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Mario Kart Wii, and NEW Super Mario Bros. Wii!

That is.. if you're a die hard Mario fan.. which I suppose you are if you're buying a Wii. :D

[quote name='labelmeoriginal']Get Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Mario Kart Wii, and NEW Super Mario Bros. Wii!

That is.. if you're a die hard Mario fan.. which I suppose you are if you're buying a Wii. :D[/QUOTE]
zelda fan

[quote name='schuerm26']You are wasting a lot of money then.[/QUOTE]

I don't quite agree with this. Personally, I think all the arguing against TheAssassin is silly. To me, it's best to be used on a case by case basis. I'll try buying used when I can myself, but to me, let's say a game just came out. I can either pay $50 new, or most times with used prices, $45. If I'm paying that much for a game, I'd rather just go for new. If I spent that much for something previously used and it ended up not working, I would be pissed.

I just feel that with The Assassin being a member of this site since October 2007, he would:

a) Know better than to ask if a Gamestop B2G1 is on new or used, and

b) Understand that in 95% of cases, buying used saves you a lot more money. It saves the consumer money and the retailer makes a much larger profit than if the game had been new. It's a win-win and the only reason that places such as Gamestop still exist.

As a CAG (especially a "veteran"), one is expected to shop smarter than the average consumer.

[quote name='JStryke']I don't quite agree with this. Personally, I think all the arguing against TheAssassin is silly. To me, it's best to be used on a case by case basis. I'll try buying used when I can myself, but to me, let's say a game just came out. I can either pay $50 new, or most times with used prices, $45. If I'm paying that much for a game, I'd rather just go for new. If I spent that much for something previously used and it ended up not working, I would be pissed.[/QUOTE]

its really 10$ savings because you're expected to have a membership to game informer. not bad because i like bathroom reading material hehe. add deals like these adn it's massive savings. :)

i would never buy a new game from there (no savings/opened) but i thats not what GS is for. its jsut an official outlet to reuse games so they dont end thrown in the dump at goodwill hehe.

duh he don't like no sloppy seconds
who knows what people do with that hole in the disc

[quote name='JStryke']If I spent that much for something previously used and it ended up not working, I would be pissed.[/QUOTE]

Why would it not work?

Scratches? 99% of the time, it probably will never be a problem, but I did get a game a few years ago from there (suikoden) which would keep freezing at a certain point.

[quote name='JStryke']I don't quite agree with this. Personally, I think all the arguing against TheAssassin is silly. To me, it's best to be used on a case by case basis. I'll try buying used when I can myself, but to me, let's say a game just came out. I can either pay $50 new, or most times with used prices, $45. If I'm paying that much for a game, I'd rather just go for new. If I spent that much for something previously used and it ended up not working, I would be pissed.[/QUOTE]

TheAssassin has been a member here at CAG for a while. So he really has no excuse not to know that GameStop ONLY does B2G1 sales on USED ITEMS! :roll:

That being said, ya, I try to buy new first. Saving $5 on a recent release isn't really saving much money. I would rather the developer gets paid for their effort instead of GameStop. But I will only buy new when it's a deal. That's the reason why I've only bought new from Amazon and Newegg recently.

Now when a B2G1 sale does come up. Then I will load up. That's the only way to buy used IMO. You can save some serious cash that way. ;)

I can't understand gamestop business model if they over pay to get used games, then have a massive sale on the items they just overpaid to get.

I know we all want the B2G1, and will most likely get it, but for some reason I can't see the logic from the business standpoint.

[quote name='Denbo32']I can't understand gamestop business model if they over pay to get used games, then have a massive sale on the items they just overpaid to get.

I know we all want the B2G1, and will most likely get it, but for some reason I can't see the logic from the business standpoint.[/QUOTE]

It just shows us how GS underpays for used games.

A trade in +50% and a b2g1 makes sense from their perspective because they DID NOT GIVE YOU CASH.

Basically, they gave you store credit, to encourage you to come back to the store to spend your credit + your money.

Basically, if you do this deal in the BEST possible way, you are RENTING games for free from them.

Typically the games you buy from Gamestop trade in at less than a 50% value. So they will win the buy, trade in deal. (Unless you can supplement your purchases with other retailers.)

I only buy new games during a B2G1 if it's Best Buy running the sale ;)

That being said, I still have a ton of leftover credit and no games that I am interested in. I'd like to get Borderlands to play through, but I'm having a tough time deciding on the other 2 games. May just buy 2 other high trade value games and trade them in on the first decent trade promotion following. That'd probably get me Borderlands for free or close to it...

The assassin is what happens when you guys leak out the CAG name to other websites.. I've always been preaching... Don't talk about CAG!!!! I see this all the time on the gamefaqs message boards and talking about cag gets those baffoons/kids to these waters...

Those websites are full of kids wanting to troll. I love buying used, maybe kids whose parents buy their games couldn't understand the principle. Plus if buying new at gamestop supposedly ALWAYS yields gutted copies, buy used.

Moral of the story, please don't talk about cag! :)

[quote name='wreckemtexastech']Those websites are full of kids wanting to troll. I love buying used, maybe kids whose parents buy their games couldn't understand the principle. Plus if buying new at gamestop supposedly ALWAYS yields gutted copies, buy used.

Moral of the story, please don't talk about cag! :)[/QUOTE]

Let me get this straight because I don't quite understand.

Some guy asks an innocuous question and makes an innocuous statement about his purchasing preferences.

People proceed to ride him about this for three straight pages of the thread.

You suggest we stop talking about CAG because you don't want in influx of idiocy, despite it clearly being present all over this thread.

Yeah, theassassin is a troll. :roll:

[quote name='danstabbingworth']
Yeah, theassassin is a troll. :roll:[/QUOTE]

I would have to say yes he is.

Let's look at the facts. He has been registered since Oct 2007. It doesn't take long to know that when GameStop and B2G1 is in a thread title, it's about used games. And he openly admitted that he doesn't buy used games. So why else would he post on a thread about a GameStop B2G1 sale?

[quote name='Denbo32']I can't understand gamestop business model if they over pay to get used games, then have a massive sale on the items they just overpaid to get.

I know we all want the B2G1, and will most likely get it, but for some reason I can't see the logic from the business standpoint.[/QUOTE]

Think of it this way...those games you just traded in for CREDIT they turn around and sell for CASH. (and yes, more cash than the credit that was given even in B2G1 sales)

CAGs are a minuscule part of their business most people that shop there are either young kids or parents buying for their kids (or "slow" adults). They do not take advantage of these "loop holes" in the trade in deals and are easily suckered during B2G1 sales (there have been multiple occasions where I witnessed someone buying a $50 game and combining it with 2 lesser value games.. i.e. buy $50 + $30 Get $20 game free)

Yep you got it Mogamer. Hrs always commented snidely on gamestop threads. It's like if you don't like good deals then don't come to these type threads. I love gamestop and taking advantage of the promos and loopholes, flipping ect.. And don't be naive previous poster, he knows what he's doing :)

[quote name='h2dk']Think of it this way...those games you just traded in for CREDIT they turn around and sell for CASH. (and yes, more cash than the credit that was given even in B2G1 sales)

CAGs are a minuscule part of their business most people that shop there are either young kids or parents buying for their kids (or "slow" adults). They do not take advantage of these "loop holes" in the trade in deals and are easily suckered during B2G1 sales (there have been multiple occasions where I witnessed someone buying a $50 game and combining it with 2 lesser value games.. i.e. buy $50 + $30 Get $20 game free)[/QUOTE]

Not to mention, your average non CAG trader will generally fall for the, "So did you want to pick up something while you wait?", and the customer just walks up to a wall, looks at all the games, and starts buying games because he knows he has credit coming, and then comes back with 3 new release games, and spending probably 2 times more than they would have done without the trade credit. And then they get conned into putting down money for pre-orders everywhere, since, hey, they have "credit". This has been happening a lot lately when I been into a GS with the 50% bonus going on. And it gives me a good laugh everytime :D.

OK, really stupid question coming up. Brace yourselves.

During GS's B2G1F deals, does the fine text usually state that the deal only allows one transaction per customer? I ask because I envision hitting GS with my +$100 credit, and coming up to the sales desk with two or three stacks of 3-pack games, asking them to ring up each stack individually.

Will I instead need to buy a 3-pack one day, go back the next day for another 3-pack, and so on?

I realize YMMV depending on the particular B&M, but just wanted to ask: is that fine text about one transaction per customer usually there?

Thanks.

You dont need multiple transactions. The computer automatically sorts them to give you maximum savings. Bring 6 games at 50,50,50,30,30,30 and you get one 30 and one 50 free. Some employees dont know that the computer will do this. Theres no limit.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']You dont need multiple transactions. The computer automatically sorts them to give you maximum savings. Bring 6 games at 50,50,50,30,30,30 and you get one 30 and one 50 free. Some employees dont know that the computer will do this. Theres no limit.[/QUOTE]

Wow.... so just.... trust the GS computer to sort them for maximum savings?

Why do those words feel so strange on my tongue? ;)

(Thanks, btw)

bread's done
Back