B2 G1 @ Gamestop (YMMV)

dlg3rd

CAG Veteran
I talked to a gamestop employee tonight and they said to expect a B2G1 free sale to go into effect next week. Not sure if it's just for this location (Hampton, VA | Peninsula Town Center) since it's a new location, but I doubt it because normally that would be a grand opening type of deal if only for one store, right?

I guess we'll have to see.

YMMV - Confirmed today !

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Klipt']OK, really stupid question coming up. Brace yourselves.

During GS's B2G1F deals, does the fine text usually state that the deal only allows one transaction per customer? I ask because I envision hitting GS with my +$100 credit, and coming up to the sales desk with two or three stacks of 3-pack games, asking them to ring up each stack individually.

Will I instead need to buy a 3-pack one day, go back the next day for another 3-pack, and so on?

I realize YMMV depending on the particular B&M, but just wanted to ask: is that fine text about one transaction per customer usually there?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

From my experience, you can buy as many games as you want. I've never had a GS stop me from buying more and never have I seen any limit enforced (unless there was a coupon that allowed the B2G1 free).

Then again, I've not stepped foot in a GS in a looong time. I used to go a few times to fill in a few holes in my PS2 collection (but since the PS2 games are pretty much picked clean and on the way out, I don't see much reason to go there anymore). Personally, I'm no fan of GS, but their used game policy is awfully forgiving.

[quote name='Denbo32']I can't understand gamestop business model if they over pay to get used games, then have a massive sale on the items they just overpaid to get.

I know we all want the B2G1, and will most likely get it, but for some reason I can't see the logic from the business standpoint.[/QUOTE]
Overpay? What the hell are you talking about?

They are buying the games off you for $1-25, then selling them for $15-55, how can you not understand the business model? They are raping people for all the money they can. I can guarantee they are most definitely making money from it ... or otherwise they wouldn't KEEP DOING IT, year after year. They would have gone the way of Circuit City.

sigh...

i saw a copy of zone of the enders 2nd runner at my local gamestop. the case and manual were in good shape too.

but my backlog is getting out of control. ....decisions, decisions

[quote name='romeogbs19']From my experience, you can buy as many games as you want. I've never had a GS stop me from buying more and never have I seen any limit enforced (unless there was a coupon that allowed the B2G1 free).

Then again, I've not stepped foot in a GS in a looong time. I used to go a few times to fill in a few holes in my PS2 collection (but since the PS2 games are pretty much picked clean and on the way out, I don't see much reason to go there anymore). Personally, I'm no fan of GS, but their used game policy is awfully forgiving.[/QUOTE]

I'm friends with a couple of folks at a GS and they have always double checked everything and no there is no limit. I've walked up with a nice fat stack before (filling up the PS2 gaps as well :)) of at least 12 games and they were all sorted automatically in the way I thought it would.

FYI the system figures out which is the high and low price and sorts them accordingly. Sometimes it depends on how they scan it in but I suggest picking your games wisely. I somehow got MoH ($5) and I think AC ($55) free on the same ticket last time lol

[quote name='MattVid']Overpay? What the hell are you talking about?

They are buying the games off you for $1-25, then selling them for $15-55, how can you not understand the business model? They are raping people for all the money they can. I can guarantee they are most definitely making money from it ... or otherwise they wouldn't KEEP DOING IT, year after year. They would have gone the way of Circuit City.[/QUOTE]

Yup, they're a business. It's their job to make money. GS is a great example of capitalism at work. I read an article that estimates something like 40% of their overall profit comes from used game sales alone.

And they're not doing the +50% credit in order to do a B2G1 sale; that's just a ridiculous view of their business model. They're doing it for a few reasons:

1) to increase their inventory, esp. w/ Gamedays sale on the way
2) to guarantee customers coming in the door to trade-in their games (a decent chunk of them, I'm sure, don't walk out empty-handed either)
3) to combat the inroads made in to the used game business by Amazon, goHastings, GC, etc., buying roping new and existing customers into the "store credit" loop.

Yes, they're giving you more credit. But look at the simple #'s. Even Heavy Rain, Bioshock 2, etc. w/ +50% are still getting maybe $40 even for those customers w/ the EDGE card. Their sticker prices are $55, and they have great turnaround on the newer used games.

Now they might decide to do a B2G1 in conjunction w/ their Gamedays sale (to increase foot traffic, similar to their B2G1's around the holidays), but I can't see how the two events are related otherwise.

People love to base their hate of gamestop on the scenario of trading in and buying games at their base values. If you're dumb enough to do that, then don't blame gamestop.

Doesn't matter how many times you recommend people to use things like ebay or craigslist, they are lazy and just dump games into gamestop. The trade in promo was amazing for a couple of weeks, no doubt. I cant remember the last time I actually traded games into the store, but I think i traded in about 6 or so. The B2G1 sale is pretty decent if you aren't current with what games you are playing. It's rare to find the games I'm actually looking for at one location. I normally have to buy one at one store, return it at another to find the other 2 games I'm after. Still a good deal mind you, but definitely a pain

I occasionally use eBay but with the seller fees these days getting ridic high it's not worth it. Not to mention you come out about the same with people doing cutthroat buy it nows.. I swear it seems like you can buy almost anything/game on eBay Noe for a bin price like 25 bucks..

[quote name='wreckemtexastech']I occasionally use eBay but with the seller fees these days getting ridic high it's not worth it. Not to mention you come out about the same with people doing cutthroat buy it nows.. I swear it seems like you can buy almost anything/game on eBay Noe for a bin price like 25 bucks..[/QUOTE]

themz be stolen gamez boyyy.

[quote name='labelmeoriginal']themz be stolen gamez boyyy.[/QUOTE]

Right, like all of those newer releases at GameStop that get traded in without cases and manuals aren't.

yep, everyone that bought L4D for 25 online a month ago with sale/cag16/edge/saver shipping, really got riped off when 2 weeks later they sold it back for like 45 on +50%, really if you only buy used during sales, gamestop is good for cheapness. i seldem buy new things at all, and when i do i buy bestbuy.

g2g, going to gamestop to get ripped off buy trading in bioshock 2 that i bought in collectors edition 3 days ago for $50 to gamestop for $40.

Sure hope this B2G1 happens so i can gets me some games wit it.

[quote name='An J0e']yep, everyone that bought L4D for 25 online a month ago with sale/cag16/edge/saver shipping, really got riped off when 2 weeks later they sold it back for like 45 on +50%, really if you only buy used during sales, gamestop is good for cheapness. i seldem buy new things at all, and when i do i buy bestbuy.

g2g, going to gamestop to get ripped off buy trading in bioshock 2 that i bought in collectors edition 3 days ago for $50 to gamestop for $40.

Sure hope this B2G1 happens so i can gets me some games wit it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. I really got ripped off buying two copies of L4D2 off Craigslist for a total of $45 and flipping them to GS for a total of $95. :/

[quote name='An J0e']yep, everyone that bought L4D for 25 online a month ago with sale/cag16/edge/saver shipping, really got riped off when 2 weeks later they sold it back for like 45 on +50%, really if you only buy used during sales, gamestop is good for cheapness. i seldem buy new things at all, and when i do i buy bestbuy.

Sure hope this B2G1 happens so i can gets me some games wit it.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='dabamus']Yeah. I really got ripped off buying two copies of L4D2 off Craigslist for a total of $45 and flipping them to GS for a total of $95. :/[/QUOTE]

Oh damn son!! you don't even see you got raped by GS! GS sucks and you took it all with no valisine! What you going to do with all that store credit? You can't do shit with it, right?

LMAO:roll: People need to stop with this for real. I traded over $200 from these deals. Do not see how they are ripping us off.

i think gamestop will finally stop their damn practices when we have the three jokers up there STOP tradin in their games to them.

Really? Couldnt you at least send it to Amazon or some other site?

When you stop doing business with Gamestop, there will be more competition. When there is more competition, you, me, cheapy, and even your grandma will be winners.

All you are doing is shafting everybody
[Yes, even your grandma]
in planet Earth by encouraging Gamestop with their shitty business practices because you are profiting and thinkin you are outsmarting the tyrant by tradeing-in a game for a few bucks more.

The solution starts within the community and with the gamers.

When gamestop actually becomes a decent company who cares for their customer, just then will i become a customer for gamestop.

You can, however, go ahead and buy used games from gamestop. i dont care frankly. after all, this is CAG. We are all here to grab a game for a few bucks less than the average buyer.
But stop your damn trade-in all together with that shitty company.

[quote name='Sway42']i think gamestop will finally stop their damn practices when we have the three jokers up there STOP tradin in their games to them.

Really? Couldnt you at least send it to Amazon or some other site?

When you stop doing business with Gamestop, there will be more competition. When there is more competition, you, me, cheapy, and even your grandma will be winners.

All you are doing is shafting everybody
[Yes, even your grandma]
in planet Earth by encouraging Gamestop with their shitty business practices because you are profiting and thinkin you are outsmarting the tyrant by tradeing-in a game for a few bucks more.

The solution starts within the community and with the gamers.

When gamestop actually becomes a decent company who cares for their customer, just then will i become a customer for gamestop.

You can, however, go ahead and buy used games from gamestop. i dont care frankly. after all, this is CAG. We are all here to grab a game for a few bucks less than the average buyer.
But stop your damn trade-in all together with that shitty company.[/QUOTE]

How do they fail to care for their customers? I dislike Gamestop just as much as the next guy, but they offer pretty decent deals for the average gamer.

If the deal exists, take it. Deals like "Trade in X amount of games, receive X amount of bonus credit" and "Receive +50% trade in bonus" are hard to pass up. If I can get more value for my used games at a particular place, I'm going to take advantage of it.

I am a CAG after all.. which works both ways; buying AND selling.

I love gamestop. I got $80 free credit in the last month with heavyrain/ME2 tradeins and starwarsclonewars preorder cancels. $80 free credit. and then they had that glitch 2 days ago with DDEAL and got $150 games for $70 with 10 coupon code. Thank you Gamestop for your glitched system and your trade in scams. I feel like I am scamming the scammer. Thank you CAG!

Please be true nationwide.:pray:

[quote name='Sway42']But stop your damn trade-in all together with that shitty company.[/QUOTE]

Don't get me wrong. I hate Gamestop as much as the next CAG for their shitty practices, but when you're getting 2-4x what you paid for games versus having to ship them into Amazon(NorAm actually)and hope they accept them, you just take the more convenient route.

The ONLY time I deal with Gamestop is when I'm making much more than I paid. Otherwise, I deal with the local shops or just keep the games till there's a decent promo. I'm really going to miss this 50% TIV bonus promo, since I made a decent amount of credit during it.

I actually wish I had waited on my tiered trade-ins I made a month or so earlier and used them in this promo.

Plus, Amazon hasn't done any kind of bonus promos as of late with their trade program. At least if they gave you an X% off a future order coupon to use anytime, it might make up for the bonus credit you would be getting at Gamestop.

[quote name='dabamus']Yeah. I really got ripped off buying two copies of L4D2 off Craigslist for a total of $45 and flipping them to GS for a total of $95. :/[/QUOTE]

Yeah, and that $5 you made probably almost covers the gas it took to make that amazing deal.

This is sad, all these people talking about me as a troll. If the people who been talking about me cant read, I already stated I DON'T PAY ATTENTION TO USED GAME SALES SINCE I DON'T BUY USED GAMES.
Let me explain myself here. I understand Gamestop gets most of their money from used stuff, but I don't buy used games ever. I was just asking the question about whether it was new or used because the way people were talking in here made it seem like it was for new games. I'm not putting used stuff in my system when I can buy the game new for an extra $5 or so. And I don't know how other people take care of their games or anything either, so I just feel more comfortable buying all my stuff new. If it's a game I want a lot I just buy it new right away. If it's something I want but not right away, I wait until the price of the game drops to $30-$40, sometimes $20. I don't buy all of my games new at $60 like some people here think. I think it's a joke that people are calling me names and stuff because I buy my stuff only new. Your spitting in the face of the millions of other gamers who buy their games only new too.
I came here to ask 1 question, and I get all this awful feedback from people thinking they know how I make ALL my game purchases. So on a 5th graders reading level to those people I'll state this again, I BUY ONLY SOME GAMES FOR FULL PRICE, AND WAIT FOR A LOT OF OTHERS TO DROP IN PRICE. People need to get their facts straight before they have the nerve to talk about other people when they have no idea what their talking about.

[quote name='The Assassin']This is sad, all these people talking about me as a troll. If the people who been talking about me cant read, I already stated I DON'T PAY ATTENTION TO USED GAME SALES SINCE I DON'T BUY USED GAMES.
.[/QUOTE]
holy shit mr.cool guy wrote his life story let me make some popcorn and read it

[quote name='The Assassin']This is sad, all these people talking about me as a troll. If the people who been talking about me cant read, I already stated I DON'T PAY ATTENTION TO USED GAME SALES SINCE I DON'T BUY USED GAMES.
Let me explain myself here. I understand Gamestop gets most of their money from used stuff, but I don't buy used games ever. I was just asking the question about whether it was new or used because the way people were talking in here made it seem like it was for new games. I'm not putting used stuff in my system when I can buy the game new for an extra $5 or so. And I don't know how other people take care of their games or anything either, so I just feel more comfortable buying all my stuff new. If it's a game I want a lot I just buy it new right away. If it's something I want but not right away, I wait until the price of the game drops to $30-$40, sometimes $20. I don't buy all of my games new at $60 like some people here think. I think it's a joke that people are calling me names and stuff because I buy my stuff only new. Your spitting in the face of the millions of other gamers who buy their games only new too.
I came here to ask 1 question, and I get all this awful feedback from people thinking they know how I make ALL my game purchases. So on a 5th graders reading level to those people I'll state this again, I BUY ONLY SOME GAMES FOR FULL PRICE, AND WAIT FOR A LOT OF OTHERS TO DROP IN PRICE. People need to get their facts straight before they have the nerve to talk about other people when they have no idea what their talking about.[/QUOTE]

I just ha.....

I love the hate for Gamestop because... they are a business that wants to make money? I would love to do more shopping at other places, but I usually end up going to Gamestop. Why? Because they have used games that you can check literally before you actually pay. And if you don't think the disc is up to your standard, then you don't buy it.

My problem with buying used online is simply sometimes those games are awful and then I have to find time to ship it back and go through those motions.

[quote name='The Assassin']I get what your saying, but I only buy some stuff for full price like I said. So what's it matter really if I'm spending $20-$40 on most of my games, which isn't much at all. I could be wrong since I rarely look in the used game section of gamestop, but aren't most of the newest used game titles $49.99-$54.99 anyways? I don't feel like paying almost full price on a used game, that's just a huge ripoff to me.

And I bought Mercs 2 myself for just $20 and it could have been much better, but I got my moneys worth with it for such a cheap price.[/QUOTE]

But that's where being a CAG comes into play. You have to be willing to wait for the rock bottom prices, clearances and B2G1 sales. It also helps if you do alot of trades and have an EDGE card, since that takes 10% off of games. If it weren't for the B2G1 sales, clearance prices($5 and under for most before I buy) and cheaper prices on some older used titles, I'd never buy anything.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']But that's where being a CAG comes into play. You have to be willing to wait for the rock bottom prices, clearances and B2G1 sales. It also helps if you do alot of trades and have an EDGE card, since that takes 10% off of games. If it weren't for the B2G1 sales, clearance prices($5 and under for most before I buy) and cheaper prices on some older used titles, I'd never buy anything.[/QUOTE]

I do have an EDGE card actually, mostly for some trade ins I do and the Game Informer subscription. Also, I usually come on this site for good game deals from Amazon, B2G1 free deals, or just for stuff I may see that stands out to me that I may want to get. That's why I asked the question about the used or new because in the title it didn't say used so I wanted to ask about it to be 100% sure.

[quote name='The Assassin']I do have an EDGE card actually, mostly for some trade ins I do and the Game Informer subscription. Also, I usually come on this site for good game deals from Amazon, B2G1 free deals, or just for stuff I may see that stands out to me that I may want to get. That's why I asked the question about the used or new because in the title it didn't say used so I wanted to ask about it to be 100% sure.[/QUOTE]

man if all you come here to do is stir the pot then just don't come on here anymore..

[quote name='Ocajavati']Personally prefer GoHastings over GameStop, but that's me.[/QUOTE]

Id rather shop for games inside a bum's asshole than gamestop.

The reason I have such a hard time with these deals is that I like to save money for games I'm really interested in. And of course, when those titles release I need to have them day one -- good deals or not.

So when a B2G1 for used games comes around, it's like tempting me to drop money on games I normally wouldn't ever purchase or merely something I'd only want to try.

[quote name='gargus']Id rather shop for games inside a bum's asshole than gamestop.[/QUOTE]

pm me if you find any good games.

[quote name='panzerfaust']The reason I have such a hard time with these deals is that I like to save money for games I'm really interested in. And of course, when those titles release I need to have them day one -- good deals or not.

So when a B2G1 for used games comes around, it's like tempting me to drop money on games I normally wouldn't ever purchase or merely something I'd only want to try.[/QUOTE]

I have gamefly for that.

[quote name='gargus']Id rather shop for games inside a bum's asshole than gamestop.[/QUOTE]

I heard all they carry is crap. I'd shop elsewhere.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer'] If it weren't for the B2G1 sales, clearance prices($5 and under for most before I buy) and cheaper prices on some older used titles, I'd never buy anything.[/QUOTE]

True.

It's the sole reason my wife hasn't divorced my ass with the budget I allocate for gaming purposes.

If I would spend full retail on my stuff she'd of been outta here years ago.

She only puts up with my crack gaming habit due to the deals.

i cant think of anything besides aliens vs predator and heavy rain(and i hear heavy raid sucks hehe). got most the action fighters that have come out this year so caught up on that.

lot of sequels such as me 2, assassin creed 2, bio -shock 2, im going to pass on till i play the 1st games hehe. i could buy the old games but i can get those anytime for 15-20.

idk may try to get some 30$ games this time because im mostly caught up. bla i want aliens vs predator tho :(

[quote name='nbalive2005']Everyone has forgotten about this already. But the B1G1 doesnt seem to be working for some of us, so any more news on this?[/QUOTE]

They yanked it prematurely.

The code is STILL fucked? This is absolutely ridiculous. I can't believe it's still not working properly.

EDIT: Just read that they yanked it. fucking jackasses.

B2G1 happens during the Gamedays. Not even sure why you'd question why this topic is here.

They'll run it in store, but they might not run it online.

[quote name='killer9']why is this still here they are obviously not going to do a b2g1 after just running a b1g1[/QUOTE]

One is in store, it makes perfect sense for them to do a B2G1.

[quote name='SevereTireDamage']Yeah, I'm probably actually going to wait until the in-store one, since I don't quite trust the completeness/condition of the PS2 games I'd want to get.[/QUOTE]

I'm the same way. I had a cart full of PS2 games during the brief UBOGO and couldn't pull the trigger since I couldn't be sure about the condition. People said you can take bad ones to exchange at Gamestop but it sounded like a pain. I'd rather pay a little more money and make sure my games are in good condition.

[quote name='xHOJUx']I'm the same way. I had a cart full of PS2 games during the brief UBOGO and couldn't pull the trigger since I couldn't be sure about the condition. People said you can take bad ones to exchange at Gamestop but it sounded like a pain. I'd rather pay a little more money and make sure my games are in good condition.[/QUOTE]

I try to avoid one store most of the time from it being a pain. The dude working there always hands me the one with the worst condition he could find. But it's real easy to go and exchange it at a store that has it in stock. As long as you have the invoice.

bread's done
Back