Bandai Entertainment will stop shipping anime to retailers in November

Vash1306

CAGiversary!
To all anime fans who haven't bought all that they want from Bandai, get on it now before its to late!

Credit to WTK
Bandai Will Stop Shipping Anime to Retailers In November
Ken Iyodomi, who is the president of Bandai Entertainment, sent us over a letter this morning to give us a heads up on what we've known has been coming and just never had a date for.

He writes:
"I am writing to inform you that Bandai Entertainment Inc in discontinuing its home video publishing and distribution business effective March 1, 2013.

As we methodically wind down the business, the last day that Bandai will be accepting any purchase orders is November 15, 2012, with our last shipments occurring on November 30th, 2012.

On Behalf of Bandai Entertainment Inc, I want to express our gratitude for the opportunity we've had to do business with your company, and I think you in advance for your understanding and assistance during this period."
Well, we all knew this was coming up. While Bandai's remaining catalog of Anime release will 'officially' go out of print in November, I just want to remind everyone that quite a few of their SKU's have already stocked out and others will probably sell out prior to the Nov cutoff, so if you need to pull the trigger on any of their stuff, don't wait too much longer.

This also means that current backorders for existing products are less likely to be filled, but we will do whatever we can to bring in as much Bandai stock as we can afford to between now and November.
via RACS
Several people have written in a little confused about Bandai's announcement last week that they will stop shipping to retailers in November. Most people want to know "what's going to happen to all their titles"? We'll here's the deal - effective Nov of this year everything in Bandai's DVD and BD catalog will officially go out of print (as will their entire selection of manga in October). Bandai has said they intend to shop some of these licenses out, but that process is likely to be slow and their back-catalog is just way to big to be absorbed into the market by the rest of the industry as it stands, so while it's likely that a few of the premium licenses will eventually end up getting re-released by someone else (hey Sentai, please pick up K-On season 1, OK?), I imagine most of their catalog will simply go dark. Now that doesn't mean that all their releases will just vaporize in November - retailers like us are currently scrapping together as much money as we can find to do big final buy-ins on Bandai's remaining stock, and at least for us, we're hoping to stock some of their titles pretty deep assuming we can get them. Over the next 6-12 months I would expect prices to rise for OOP Bandai titles that end up getting bought up quickly and become a little harder to find. This will, of course, result in the same bitching and moaning characterizing any price increases as greed and averice from the usual suspects who couldn't be bothered to pull the trigger on these titles for the many years they were available at the regular prices. Oh joy, I can't wait to read those people comments! :) But I also expect prices to decrease for a time on the titles that retailers choose poorly on and end up bringing in too much stock.

And before you ask, I have no idea what will become of Gundam - that series is an awfully big bite for another studio to try to take on. I fear the chances now that we'll ever see ZZ, Victory, or Turn a Gundam released in R1 are now pretty slim. ~sigh~

Anyway, we're going to go through the site during for the next couple of weeks and mark all Bandai releases as 'discontinued - limited to stock on hand' and also we'll be publishing a list shortly of all in stock Bandai titles so that you can see if there is anything you need before the lights go out in November.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dunno how fast FUNi CAN snap up Bandai stuff. Geneon's back catalog took a while to show up. Most of FUNi's early Geneon releases were recent releases, which doesn't count for Bandai since they haven't had a new product in a year. Also, most of the big titles are under Bandai Visual's control. Their stubborness is legendary. Heck, they're the reason BE went belly up in the first place.

Ordered Code Geass R1 and R2 from RightStuf since they were in-stock and still $29.99 each. Amazon pricing has been inching upwards and is now $40.99 each.

They charged my card, so I'm guessing they're being boxed for shipment.

So, after the announcement of the shipments ending, I've picked up:
Code Geass R1
Code Geass R2
Wolf's Rain Complete Collection
Escaflowne Complete Collection
Outlaw Star Complete Collection

Previously had Big O 1 & 2 from when Buy.com had them on the cheap, even though they screwed up part of the order more than once. Also had Cowboy Bebop from previous purchase.

Has anyone got a email from Rightstuf, Saying that they are going to give you Got Anime Club for free for a year. I ordered like 400 dollars last 2 months.

[quote name='whippleman']Thats pretty awesome of them to do that. You spent $400 recently and you weren't already a GA member? :whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

Everything that I was buying was not elgible for discounts. So for me spending 12 dollars was not worth it for the discount. So if anything is in the bargain bin or on the weekly sales you don't get a discount on it. It's very limited

I just recently got a GA membership to after spending quite a bit in the last 6 months, but I always thought the same. Everything I was buying wasn't eligible for the GA discount, finally got one for the Funimation sale. Seems like it will only be helpful when it comes to sales, but I still have faith I'll make good use of it. :D

Got Anime paid for itself with the bandai stuff I bought recently. Definitely worth it if you regularly buy stuff that isn't bargain bin or weekly special.

...and Rightstuf canceled my Gundam 00 S2. I could have sworn I ordered it when it was in stock (the same weekend it went on backorder). Oh well.

If only the shortages would have started after Bandai's Last Shipment Day on Nov. 15. It sucks that everything is starting to run out now.

[quote name='Squarehard']Wow, that's pretty rare for Rightstuf to cancel orders. They must really be out, lol.[/QUOTE]

And if Rightstuf doesnt have it, That means we are screwed.

[quote name='ZeroFlame15']And if Rightstuf doesnt have it, That means we are screwed.[/QUOTE]

Yep unless you want to pay out the ying yang for a copy.

The complete set might be out, but the individual releases are pretty cheap now on Amazon and eBay. Well, except for Season 2 Part 4 for some reason.

The Season 2 set is now going for $399 on Amazon.

Though it could take a year or two, I would not be surprised if FUNimation snapped up the license.

[quote name='zeke222']got both seasons of eureka 7 from gohastings for $30 total. and got gundam 00 season 2 at comiccon[/QUOTE]

How did you get Eureka 7 that cheap? I checked their site and the cheapest used copy of Season 1 is $40~

[quote name='ProtoEXE88']How did you get Eureka 7 that cheap? I checked their site and the cheapest used copy of Season 1 is $40~[/QUOTE]

Gohastings does not standardize its prices for many items, so it can fluctuate.

[quote name='Gamehead']Gohastings does not standardize its prices for many items, so it can fluctuate.[/QUOTE]

Thats true, I once had a cart with some pretty rare anime in it and the next day the prices went up considerable.

[quote name='ProtoEXE88']How did you get Eureka 7 that cheap? I checked their site and the cheapest used copy of Season 1 is $40~[/QUOTE]

i got it the day gohastings came back online after there crash; when they were having the buy 1 get 1 50% off sale

I have seen many of FUNi's S.A.V.E. sets for under $10 at gohastings. Couple days ago they had the DVD version of Star Driver Part 1 for $6.

[quote name='DNukem170']Well now, that was lucky. Some guy had Code Geass Season 1 up on eBay at $22 BIN with free shipping. Yoink![/QUOTE]

I take it they just had one?

[quote name='ZeroFlame15']I take it they just had one?[/QUOTE]

Yea, the guy didn't have anything else up for auction.

[quote name='DNukem170']Yea, the guy didn't have anything else up for auction.[/QUOTE]

Well at least you got a deal on it. Nice Find.

They may have already closed up. Best bet may be finding the singles for cheap online, then using the scratched discs in the next Upgrade & Save promo.

found two copies of gundam 00 complete second season yesterday at my local best buy and used my $25 certificate on it so got it for about $7

[quote name='shrike4242']Code Geass R1 & R2 showed up today from RightStuf.[/QUOTE]

Thats Cool. Hoping to purchase that sometime in the next week from them.

I ended up getting S-Cry-Ed Parts 2/3 (discs 3-6) and Eureka Seven Complete Collection 1 for $36 shipped from GoHastings... now if I can find part 2...

I picked up Code Geass R1 and R2, Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex 1st and 2nd Gig, Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Season 1 and dvd/blu combo movie. Snagged a vol.5 copy of Scrapped Princess at a used book/dvd/music place for 5 bucks, then continued to pick up the other volumes on eBay and amazon dirt cheap. Picking up individual copies of FLAG as I go(Just have Vol.3).

All I really lack are a couple of Crest/Banner of star volumes and that darn Vol. 11 of Eureka Seven.

Picked up Outlaw Star (singles), Scrapped Princess (singles), Code Grass S1 (Anime Legends set), as well as the missing volumes of Infinite Ryvius I had. With my next paycheck I plan on picking up the single volumes of Gundam Wing and G Gundam and sell the Complete Collections. And the same thing, hopefully, with Big O. Most on Bandai's releases I picked up when they were first released.

I really wish I could find a copy of the Overman King Gainer Complete Collection. Recently I've picked up Crest of the Stars, Outlaw Star, and Brain Powered.

You could always do what I do and get the singles and condense them down into one 6-disc set. Though it seems finding Volume 6 is going to be tough.

Arjuna Complete Collection for $24.22 shipped from third party seller.

http://www.amazon.com/Arjuna-Collec...d/dp/B0001EFTM4/ref=?ie=UTF8&m=A223X38I0XRTGZ

Listed this morning, so if you're interested you better jump on it quick since there's only 1 in stock.

I already have it, so no need for me to grab it. ^__^

*Edit*
Looks like they jacked up the price already since I posted, and it's $27.97 shipped now, which is still a pretty good price for it.

Might want to hurry up before they adjust it to the going rate though.

[quote name='DNukem170']You could always do what I do and get the singles and condense them down into one 6-disc set. Though it seems finding Volume 6 is going to be tough.[/QUOTE]

I thought of that, but when I saw that no amazon sellers even had it available, I knew that would be a pain in the ass to get. I'll probably just buy the singles for Yukikaze though, since the complete version is crazy expensive.

If you have any used DVD shops like FYE or MovieStop, I would scour them (particularly if it is a big one) and try getting lucky. Even if you get the Anime Legends set cheap, I would still keep an eye on Volume 6 so you can resell the box set later.

Im looking for Gundam 00 S1 and Eureka Seven Season 2.
If anyone can help me out, that would be great. I know my Best Buy has copies of Bebop and Code Geass R2.

Your best bet is to collect the single releases. They're all under $5 (plus shipping) each. If you want to save space, an empty 6-disc case is cheap to get online (I recommend easyshopca on eBay).

This is what I got.All anime legends collections
.hack//Sign Complete Collection,Avenger Complete collection
Banner of the Stars 1,2,Big O 1,2,Toward the Terra, SD Gundam Force
S-Cry-Ed,Cowboy Bebop Remix,ghost inthe shell:2nd gig,Mars Daybreak,Yukikaze,Blue Submarine,My-Otome,My-hime,Geneshaft
Crest of Stars,Star Driver, Vol. 1,2
Scrapped Princess all Vol.,Wolf's Rain,Gurren Lagann
Code Geass 1,2,Gundam 0079 1,2,Gundam 00 1,2,Planetes and some movies.
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/K1pVw6W6I4UgbGt0RK/order/item/submit/90690/4/0/0
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/K1pVw6W6I4UgbGt0RK/order/item/submit/90690/4/0/0

I wish I could find a copy of Ronin Warriors for not $400... I don't think I'm destined to own the series sadly.

I've picked up:

S-Cry-Ed
Gundam 00 Season 2
Eureka 7 Part 1

I'd like to find:

Ronin Warriors
.Hack//SIGN
Gundam 0080
Code Geass R2 (kind of, it's not that good but I feel obligated to own it)
Eureka 7 Part 2
Cowboy Bebop (I own a bootleg, quality is meh but I really would just like the Remastered version to get released...)

so how is .hack sign i here mixed reviews on honestly??? i know it used to come on cartoon network but i never did catch it from start to finish.

[quote name='kayne2000']so how is .hack sign i here mixed reviews on honestly??? i know it used to come on cartoon network but i never did catch it from start to finish.[/QUOTE]

It's not bad as long as you are a fan of the game series. It's not really the best anime as a stand alone if you've never played the games, and don't really have a grasp of most of the background to the plot and some of the characters, but out of all the .hack anime series it is probably the only one worth watching. You don't have to have played the games to enjoy it the series, but I've gotten lots of mixed feedback when I've recommended this to people who have never even heard of the games and couldn't get into the anime.

[quote name='kayne2000']so how is .hack sign i here mixed reviews on honestly??? i know it used to come on cartoon network but i never did catch it from start to finish.[/QUOTE]

It is OK, but despite it being an anime series about people inside an MMO, there is very little action and a lot of navel gazing.

I think I'm pretty much done scrambling for my wants.

Picked up the following from Amazon for only like 3 dollars thanks to Bing :D
Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd Gig
Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. Solid State Society Bluray
Code Geass S1 (Still waiting on shipment)

Got all the following from Rightstuf,
In transit on it's way to me,
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzimiya S2
Escaflowne The Movie Bluray
Code Geass S2

Being held for me,
Eureka 7 Movie on Bluray
Disappearance of Haruhi Suzimiya Movie Bluray
Gundam Wing Collection 1 & 2
Gundam Wing Endless Waltz

Trying to get for me,
Gurren Lagann

There was other stuff I was interested in but money is just to tight at the moment. I really can't afford what I got already, but it's now or regret it later. And I figure if I've never seen it I'll never miss it kind of mentality. I mainly just picked up gaps in my collection and a couple of things I've pretty much watched already on TV that I wanted (Code Geass, Gurren Lagann).

The only off purchase for me was the Gundam Wing titles. I remember seeing some so freaking long ago and didn't care for it much. Back then I was kind of off put by giant mecha anime, but as going through lists on what to pick up I had second thoughts on it considering my tastes have changed slightly over the many years. I love Eureka 7, Evagelion, Patlabor and others now. Patlabor being the biggest standout as I used to have no interest in either. I figure I give Gundam another shot and pick up one best of the series. I figure worst case I still don't like it and I'm sure someone would give me what I paid for them a couple of months down the line.

Other than maybe picking up a couple of replacement volumes for Saber Marionette J to X and .hack, I think I'm done.

I have:
Outlaw Star Complete Collection
Cowboy Bebop Complete Collection
G Gundam Collection 1
G Gundam Collection 2
Gundam Wing Collection 1 (Not got yet but ordered off Rightstuf)

Hoping to get soon:
Gundam Wing Collection 2
Code Geass Season 1 Collection
Code Geass R2 Collection
Gundam Wing Endless Waltz
.hack//Sign Complete Collection
Gurren Lagann Complete Series

And that is my list. Had more stuff on it but some like Gundam 00, The Big O, and Eureka Seven have been either no more copies of 1/2 of the collection(s) or both collections running out of stock. I plan on buying the 2nd half of Gundam Wing and the Code Geass collections sometime in the next week.

To folks living in Maryland and can get to Arundel Mills Mall. The Best Buy had two copies of Gundam 00 Season 2. I did not expect to find it there. I got one for myself so one remains. It was priced at $29.99.

bread's done
Back