Batman Arkham Asylum - Gen. Discussion & Info

Good luck finding a CE if you didn't preorder it. It's pretty massively underproduced. It's going to be extremely limited like the Bioshock LE was.. perhaps even more limited than that

[quote name='gareman']man my birthday was a couple days ago and my mom is stopping by today to buy me dinner and she says she want to get me a gift....I am thinking Arkham Asylum CE is looking pretty sweet. Although, it makes me feel like I just turned 12 and not 25.[/QUOTE]

Hehehehe happy belated birthday!!:whee:

[quote name='Scorch']Good luck finding a CE if you didn't preorder it. It's pretty massively underproduced. It's going to be extremely limited like the Bioshock LE was.. perhaps even more limited than that[/QUOTE]

Doubtful, wasn't Bioshock a gamestop/eb exclusive? If this thing ends up rare it'll probably be Mass Effect CE rare. Bioshock LE was nuts at it's peak.

You are right about finding the CE though. Went to 2 gamestops on Friday and both said they weren't taking any more preorders on it.

Man, I've been playing the shit out of this game since Friday and I am still not done.
Between playing the game and trying to find Riddler's 240 hidden items I wouldn't be surprised if I spend nearly 20 hours in story mode alone!
I think I'm roughly 60% the way through and still going. Glad the wife is out of town for the next two weeks! :)

[quote name='Scorch']Good luck finding a CE if you didn't preorder it. It's pretty massively underproduced. It's going to be extremely limited like the Bioshock LE was.. perhaps even more limited than that[/QUOTE]

I did pre-order wooooo!

I still have a Bioshock LE sealed :D

I finally saw an opened CE today with my own eyes.. it's a huge piece of shit. Not only is the batarang made of hard plastic and attached to the stand, but there's scratches all over the thing. I guess it's supposed to be "battle worn", but honestly, up close, it looks and feels like shit. The Batman game disc itself is in a cardboard sleeve.

If you were on the fence, let this post tip you over: it is NOT worth $100. It'd barely be worth $70.

[quote name='ChernobylCow']Does the game have various difficulty modes? Wondering if there is an easy/casual for my GF.[/QUOTE]
Xbox360Achievements.com has the achievements up. Looks like there are different achievements for completing the story on Easy, Normal, and Hard.

[quote name='Scorch']I still have a Bioshock LE sealed :D

I finally saw an opened CE today with my own eyes.. it's a huge piece of shit. Not only is the batarang made of hard plastic and attached to the stand, but there's scratches all over the thing. I guess it's supposed to be "battle worn", but honestly, up close, it looks and feels like shit. The Batman game disc itself is in a cardboard sleeve.

If you were on the fence, let this post tip you over: it is NOT worth $100. It'd barely be worth $70.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up. I got 20 bucks down on it, and was going to go pay it off today, but now I might just cancel, especially since you don't get a real game case. I think I'll just go pick it up at best buy when they open and grab the DVD combo+gc deal, since TRU is like 40 minutes away.

Can I get my money back without a receipt if I cancel a pre-order at GS that I paid in cash. I kept the receipt but I can't find it.

If you were on the fence, let this post tip you over: it is NOT worth $100. It'd barely be worth $70.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='gareman']Thanks for the heads up. I got 20 bucks down on it, and was going to go pay it off today, but now I might just cancel, especially since you don't get a real game case. I think I'll just go pick it up at best buy when they open and grab the DVD combo+gc deal, since TRU is like 40 minutes away.

Can I get my money back without a receipt if I cancel a pre-order at GS that I paid in cash. I kept the receipt but I can't find it.[/QUOTE]

I think the CE game case (I have the 360 version) is actually quite nice. It's no different than any other collector's edition DVD case. Card stock sleeve and case with nice artwork and plastic media holders. The sleeve has the standard game case art on the outside. The disc case has a woodgrain pattern (similar to a desk) and the inside is made to look like an old school tape recorder (the kind with the big spindles).

I also like the leather bound journal it comes with. The leather cover can be interchanged with a regular store bought notebook if you wanted to.

Count me as one of those people who hate getting a non-standard game case with a CE. Why can't they just put a standard game case inside the box, so that people can easily keep their collections in standard order, and maybe display the CE box somewhere else.

I'm crazy...I know.

[quote name='daphatty']I think the CE game case (I have the 360 version) is actually quite nice. It's no different than any other collector's edition DVD case. Card stock sleeve and case with nice artwork and plastic media holders. The sleeve has the standard game case art on the outside. The disc case has a woodgrain pattern (similar to a desk) and the inside is made to look like an old school tape recorder (the kind with the big spindles).

I also like the leather bound journal it comes with. The leather cover can be interchanged with a regular store bought notebook if you wanted to.[/QUOTE]

You guys! Now I am back on the fence. I ton of extra b-day money (my Mom gave me the hundred bucks just to buy the CE) I've already got it reserved with 20 dollars down. Now daphatty is saying its pretty cool. What to do!??!? Keep in mind I am a huge bat man fan and have a huge batman collection from since I was like 6 and I am still collecting stuff, so anyone else seen the CE in real life want to chime in? That no game case though really drive me nuts....but if its going to be rare I am going to kicking my self for not getting the extra stuff.

[quote name='gareman']
Can I get my money back without a receipt if I cancel a pre-order at GS that I paid in cash. I kept the receipt but I can't find it.[/QUOTE]

I remember getting my cash back from the Halo 2 Legendary edition, I just gave them my phone number and they verified my name.

[quote name='gareman']You guys! Now I am back on the fence. I ton of extra b-day money (my Mom gave me the hundred bucks just to buy the CE) I've already got it reserved with 20 dollars down. Now daphatty is saying its pretty cool. What to do!??!? Keep in mind I am a huge bat man fan and have a huge batman collection from since I was like 6 and I am still collecting stuff, so anyone else seen the CE in real life want to chime in? That no game case though really drive me nuts....but if its going to be rare I am going to kicking my self for not getting the extra stuff.[/QUOTE]

If you are as big of a Batman fan as you say then you won't be disappointed by the CE. Plastic or not, scratches or otherwise. I think the whole set just looks friggin cool. Which CE diid you preorder? PS3 or 360?

Buy the game for $60, buy a batarang from a store, one made of steel, for $20 or $25. You'll still save money and it'll be cooler.

Great game, highly recommended!
smile.gif

[quote name='Scorch']Buy the game for $60, buy a batarang from a store, one made of steel, for $20 or $25. You'll still save money and it'll be cooler.[/QUOTE]

I am actually most interested in the journal and the case to a lesser extent. The baterang is just icing on the cake. Also the crime alley map is cool little plus.

I pre-ordered the 360 verion phatty.

Got mine a day early. Absolutely loving every aspect of the game. Played for about four hours, half of which I must have spent taking in environment, aimlessly exploring the Arkhum Island and ofcouse staring at Batman from different angles. :lol:

I was a bit iffy with the combat in the demo, hoping it was a bit more than pressing X and a bit of Y for counter. There's actually a lot more. Timing your strikes and positioning the Left stick gives you a vast variety of combat moves. There's also the option to upgrade your combat, which I haven't gotten to yet.

The environments are absolutely gorgeous. Some review compared it to Bioshock. Arkhum Island isn't very far off in terms of depth in the art style and the overall mood the developers went for.

Played through the first combat challenge room. Couldn't let go until I had the Perfect Knight Achievement. (Which took me about 10 tries) It's something that'll keep players busy for a while.

I usually hate collectibles, but this is one game where I'll probably try and go through all of them. The audio interviews make for some interesting insight into the super-villains. The idea is a hell of a lot better than most games that have nonsensical extras like shooting pigeons or collecting orbs.

Can't wait to get back from work tomorrow to continue playing this!

Argh I really shouldn't get this game, i've been saving pretty much all summer, I need to order a new monitor soon (today), going to Spain next week for ten days, and starting my first year at university mid September so I sorta need money. But surely my student loan will help (I'll get all of the above with my own money now).

If so Batman will be mine.

[quote name='destinywaste']Got mine a day early. Absolutely loving every aspect of the game. Played for about four hours, half of which I must have spent taking in environment, aimlessly exploring the Arkhum Island and ofcouse staring at Batman from different angles. :lol:

I was a bit iffy with the combat in the demo, hoping it was a bit more than pressing X and a bit of Y for counter. There's actually a lot more. Timing your strikes and positioning the Left stick gives you a vast variety of combat moves. There's also the option to upgrade your combat, which I haven't gotten to yet.

The environments are absolutely gorgeous. Some review compared it to Bioshock. Arkhum Island isn't very far off in terms of depth in the art style and the overall mood the developers went for.

Played through the first combat challenge room. Couldn't let go until I had the Perfect Knight Achievement. (Which took me about 10 tries) It's something that'll keep players busy for a while.

I usually hate collectibles, but this is one game where I'll probably try and go through all of them. The audio interviews make for some interesting insight into the super-villains. The idea is a hell of a lot better than most games that have nonsensical extras like shooting pigeons or collecting orbs.

Can't wait to get back from work tomorrow to continue playing this![/QUOTE]
I've been waiting for somebody to post on gameplay tonight.

tag, this game is being delivered today from Amazon and I can't fucking wait to get out of work, but I don't want to spoil myself in the thread...just here for future reference.

[quote name='saunderscowie']Argh I really shouldn't get this game, i've been saving pretty much all summer, I need to order a new monitor soon (today), going to Spain next week for ten days, and starting my first year at university mid September so I sorta need money. But surely my student loan will help (I'll get all of the above with my own money now).

If so Batman will be mine.[/QUOTE]

I'm somewhat in a similar situation. I've already decided to budget for Dragon Age and Brutal Legend. I'm going to Disney World in a few weeks as well. If I come back with some extra money, I might break down and buy this.

I have £242 sitting in my Amazon basket right now, all I got to do is click..

But i'd really like to get this game, I forgot also snow leopard comes out in a couple of days too.

Got a request, for people that played the "Dem Bones" and "Crime Alley" challenge maps do you mind posting your opinions? The PS3 Joker exclusive stuff is online but haven't seen or heard anything about the GS and CE exclusive maps.

Thanks alot.

Ordered release date delivery from Amazon and, according to UPS, they didn't hand it over in time to make delivery today. Not very happy about that.

[quote name='silautumn']Ordered release date delivery from Amazon and, according to UPS, they didn't hand it over in time to make delivery today. Not very happy about that.[/QUOTE]

Call them up, Amazon should refund you if you paid. If you had Prime, I believe they still credit your account for a few dollars for their mistake.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Call them up, Amazon should refund you if you paid. If you had Prime, I believe they still credit your account for a few dollars for their mistake.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I already sent them an email about it. Amazon is usually good with dealing with emails. I have Prime, and it really isn't THAT big of a deal but it still irks me that they offered and failed to deliver on that. But hopefully I'll score a small discount from them.

There are times throughout this game where I find myself reloading to the last checkpoint just so that I can play the same mission/level/room over and over again. That's how much I love this game. I wish there was a chapter/level select option at the start menu.

Just curious if anyone else noticed the lack of surround sound separation in the 360 demo? I use a pair of X4 headphones on my PS3 and 360 and when comparing the demos there was a distinct lack of surround sound separation on the 360 that WAS there on the PS3. For instance, near the beginning of the demo when Joker is talking over the PA speaker system the PS3 demo had his voice distinctly coming from the direction of the in-game speakers (spinning Batman reinforced this) but on the 360 his voice just came equally from all directions. On the same setup I can hear clear separation on COD for 360 so that rules out some setup problem.

[quote name='silautumn']Ordered release date delivery from Amazon and, according to UPS, they didn't hand it over in time to make delivery today. Not very happy about that.[/QUOTE]

Wait and see until tonight because twice it has happened to me that I thought the same thing and the UPS web-site showed I would not get my order on release day but lo-and-behold it came on release day anyways.

I agree 100%. If they had just made a metal batarang it would have been sweet, but maybe the couldn't do that for some reason.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I agree 100%. If they had just made a metal batarang it would have been sweet, but maybe the couldn't do that for some reason.[/QUOTE]

for some reason?

Kids are buying the game. Kids are stupid and would've hurt/killed each other with it.. they would've had a ton of lawsuits on their hands. They could've supplemented something else instead, though. What about a small circular device that has a tiny button on it.. when you push the button, it pops out into a batarang that you can throw.. sure, it would've been plastic, but it would've been awesome.

[quote name='Scorch']for some reason?

Kids are buying the game. Kids are stupid and would've hurt/killed each other with it.. they would've had a ton of lawsuits on their hands. They could've supplemented something else instead, though. What about a small circular device that has a tiny button on it.. when you push the button, it pops out into a batarang that you can throw.. sure, it would've been plastic, but it would've been awesome.[/QUOTE]

I honestly can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not.

Well, the 360 controller looks like a batarang anyway. They can throw that when the kid's systems red ring.

Actually, I was thinking of the incident where EA was mailing brass knuckles out to someone (can't remember the whole story) and got into some trouble for that.

The Batarang replica does not need to be produced with sharpened edges. Swords are sold in dull edged conditions. Real collectors will just replace that pos with a metal one if they wished.

okay, so batarang = megatron from the 80's again? liability...lame.

I think my only complaint about this game is the fact that I can't save, and I have to rely on autosave.

I cant wait to see what DLC we get for free :bouncy:

[quote name='Master Ninja']All the reviews say the 360 Version looks slightly better than the PS3 version.[/QUOTE]

Everything made with the Unreal engine usually always does .

daphatty or anyone else who has played the game:

What is the answer to the 3rd Riddle riddle (intensive treatment lobby) about a puzzle but not being able to see all sides?

Three things that I wish this game had

1. Manual Save, instead of just auto-save

2. Ability to replay certain parts of the game (i.e. chapters, boss fights) Some of the scenes were fun to play, and I wanted to play them again. However now I have to start a whole new game just to get to it

3. Replaying the cut-scenes. I wish there was a theater mode or something to replay some of the cut-scenes. The cut-scenes were awesome, and I wanted to see them again.

Otherwise this game is fucking amazing.

[quote name='MSUHitman']daphatty or anyone else who has played the game:

What is the answer to the 3rd Riddle riddle (intensive treatment lobby) about a puzzle but not being able to see all sides?
[/QUOTE]

I think thats the one in the big room with another structure in the middle? If so it is a Riddler ? on the glass.

After only about 45 minutes or so of the game, obviously I am qualified to grade it thus far.

Not being a fan of Batman, and knowing the incredibly long history of terrible comic book based video games, it would be easy to understand anyone's apprehension about investing into this title.

But you would be making a huge mistake to do so.

From my little time, the thing I am most impressed with is the atmosphere. You feel like you're Batman. You feel like you're trapped in this fucking psychotic insane asylum. You feel like you are hunting down a wonderfully depicted villain in the Joker. Right from the opening cutscene, you are sucked into this place and the game grabs a hold of you and makes you apart of the world. Fan or not of Batman itself, you have to be impressed by that. There are few games that can do that, where you cease being a player and instead become apart of the game. For that alone, it makes Batman: AA worth checking out.

[quote name='seanr1221']So there are maps you can pick up that tell you where some of the Riddlers trophies are? That's pretty cool.[/QUOTE]

Yes, one in each map area (Arkham East, North, one for each building, etc.) I've found 2. It's nice because they don't give it away, but show a goofy floating green ? in the vicinity of where some challenge is. Nice feature.

BTW I love this game, it is ridiculous how much I want to go home and play more.

bread's done
Back