Best Buy Exclusive: 11 Guitar Hero III bonus tracks w/ Metallica's Death Magnetic

KD34XBR960

CAGiversary!
Check out the post below for more info:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat159700050050&type=category

**UPDATE 9/12/08**

The 11 tracks are the same tracks you can buy on XBOX Live. Only the Special Edition has the code to download the tracks. Technically, you have to go to the GH website and enter the code found in the Special Edition to get the XBOX Live code. Each Special Edition has a unique code and so there will not be a repeat of the Disturbed fiasco.

Last edited by a moderator:
I called bestbuy.com customer service and they confirmed this. Their reasoning is that the "ad" on the website says bestbuy exclusive (referring to the guitar hero tracks) and when you click on the SE CD (29.99) and look under "special offers" it shows bestbuy exclusive, when this is done with the regular CD the term bestbuy exclusive is not there... You will not get the guitar hero codes with the 9.99 edition.

I let the customer service lady know that the website was somewhat confusing, since it lists 3 versions of the album below and advertises guitar hero tracks available as bestbuy exclusive bonus. I was informed that I was far from the first that has called for clarification; kinda sucks that you have to throw on your scooby-doo hat to figure out what does/does not qualify for a deal rather than it being marked clearly and decisively.

[quote name='robbrism']For those questioning why it is 360 only...there is always various exclusive stuff for each of the consoles so I don't see the big deal. Besides...who would own a PS3 and NOT own a 360? ;)[/QUOTE]

Eh, I do own both, but I have GH3 on my PS3 (along with most of my multi-platform games). And I know both systems get exclusives, but these free tracks make no sense - I don't see where MS profits any from them being available only on their system.

[quote name='Corvin']Somebody isn't too keen on math. If you had no intention of buying the album in the first place then they aren't losing a sale. They just aren't gaining one.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the half-assed attempt at an insult, Mr. Wizard, but if I would have bought it if the tracks had been available on both systems, but I won't because they aren't...well they LOST a sale, didn't they? :roll:

[quote name='autche']I called bestbuy.com customer service and they confirmed this. Their reasoning is that the "ad" on the website says bestbuy exclusive (referring to the guitar hero tracks) and when you click on the SE CD (29.99) and look under "special offers" it shows bestbuy exclusive, when this is done with the regular CD the term bestbuy exclusive is not there... You will not get the guitar hero codes with the 9.99 edition.

I let the customer service lady know that the website was somewhat confusing, since it lists 3 versions of the album below and advertises guitar hero tracks available as bestbuy exclusive bonus. I was informed that I was far from the first that has called for clarification; kinda sucks that you have to throw on your scooby-doo hat to figure out what does/does not qualify for a deal rather than it being marked clearly and decisively.[/QUOTE]

And if that's the case, who gives a shit anyway? Sounded pretty strange for Metallicash to be giving anything away for free.

[quote name='bardockkun']Meh, I'm hoping for another code fuck up like they did for Disturbed.[/QUOTE]

CD + Songs - $5 for their mess up? = Win

Looks like i'll need to cancel my order.

Edit:
Nice, looks like you can only cancel after one hour of ordering from their website.

Genious.

[quote name='autche']I called bestbuy.com customer service and they confirmed this. Their reasoning is that the "ad" on the website says bestbuy exclusive (referring to the guitar hero tracks) and when you click on the SE CD (29.99) and look under "special offers" it shows bestbuy exclusive, when this is done with the regular CD the term bestbuy exclusive is not there... You will not get the guitar hero codes with the 9.99 edition.

I let the customer service lady know that the website was somewhat confusing, since it lists 3 versions of the album below and advertises guitar hero tracks available as bestbuy exclusive bonus. I was informed that I was far from the first that has called for clarification; kinda sucks that you have to throw on your scooby-doo hat to figure out what does/does not qualify for a deal rather than it being marked clearly and decisively.[/quote]

I called customer service to verify if you needed to buy the special edition cd or not to receive the GHIII tracks. The customer service rep told me that you will get the free tracks if you order the regular $9.99 version of the cd. The free tracks are available with any of the editions listed below the deal on the webpage. :applause:

I let the customer service lady know that the website was somewhat confusing, since it lists 3 versions of the album below and advertises guitar hero tracks available as bestbuy exclusive bonus. I was informed that I was far from the first that has called for clarification; kinda sucks that you have to throw on your scooby-doo hat to figure out what does/does not qualify for a deal rather than it being marked clearly and decisively.[/quote]

Wow, how disappointing. It clearly says you get the tracks with the CD, no mention of what type. That's extremely confusing and the ad should have clearly stated that.

[quote name='BackInBlack']Looks like i'll need to cancel my order.

Edit:
Nice, looks like you can only cancel after one hour of ordering from their website.

Genious.[/quote]

Wow, seriously?

[quote name='darkd75']I called customer service to verify if you needed to buy the special edition cd or not to receive the GHIII tracks. The customer service rep told me that you will get the free tracks if you order the regular $9.99 version of the cd. The free tracks are available with any of the editions listed below the deal on the webpage. :applause:[/quote]

I guess i retract my previous statement about canceling my order.:oops: :whistle2:#. What comes with the special edition that makes it 30 dollars then?

Geez...it'd be nice to get some official clarification, if one poster called and they said it had to be the $30 edition.

I don't think they would have that page up with the $10 edition (they $30 one wasn't even there when I looked last night) if it didn't have the tracks. Besides, you can always call and complain and hopefully get your codes anyways if they don't have them.

The Distrubed RB tracks ended up only being a buck a piece, so it wasn't a great deal if you actually got the album. 11 GH3 songs for under a buck each, even if you don't care about the album, is pretty crazy. I feel like there's something wrong with all this...but maybe it's to help promote both the album and GH: Metallica/World Tour.

Also, this is going to make album sales SKYROCKET, which always looks good on the billboards.

Does the 9.99 edition just ship with the code? Do you have to do any selecting whether you want the code or does it just ship automatically?

And we need some more confirmation on whether the regular edition comes with the 11 songs. One person says yes, one says no.

Do you have to get the $30 version to get the free songs? If not, that would be a great deal! Buy the $10 cd, sell it on Amazon and get back most of your money and the GH songs are almost free!

Also, how do we know what the exact tracks are? I would think that they would say the playable album but all it says are free bonus tracks...

And as far as I know, the album only has 10 tracks. The amount of bonus tracks is 11.

Just called Best Buy support.

The support person said that she believes that you get the tracks on either regular or special edition.

Edit: The front page of bestbuy.com has an ad saying to "Check out their exclusive version". It links you to that page with the offer. More confusion!

[quote name='kevzik']This will be the only reason why this album sells. Surprising, actually...[/QUOTE]

No it wont be. I bet 90% of the people who buy this would have bought it whether you got free GH tracks or not. I know, its cool to bash Metallica, but youre wrong.

Anyone know if the $30 for the SE is just for the Labor Day sale? Or is it longer then just today. Also anyone have any idea what it includes, if thats not how you get he GH3 tracks?

I'm wondering about the SE also. I really don't care about the GH tracks seeing how I don't like the game myself. So I wont be preordering it however I do plan on picking this up on day one along with the new In This Moment cd that comes out the same day. Judgeing by the track "The Day that Never Comes" or that never came, I'm not really sure of the exact name of the track, this cd might be one of the better Metallica CDs that have come out in years. I know it will be better then St. Anger.

Yea it will be better then St Anger. That song, Cyanide and the Apocolypse song are decent. My Apcolypse sounds like if they tried to make new songs for ...And Justice For All around the time they were recording for Load/ReLoad.

Im going to assume that people who said the GH tracks are for any of the cds are correct. The wording about "While supplies last" makes it seem like you will get it whether you get the SE or not. I cant imagine them having a $30 SE and not giving you a code for the GH cuz they ran out.

Well I picked up the $10 one and hope Im right about that. I hope my cancellation of my order from missionmetallica goes through. (Just a note, dont ever shop from there its such a mess).

Edit: I emailed Best Buy and got this:

I am Paula with Best Buy Customer Care.
Let me tell you what each CD contains:

Death Magnetic [9/12] - CD
Metallica | SKU: 8978421 | Release Date: 9/12/2008 Our Price:$9.99
This one just brings the tracks of the regular version of the CD

Death Magnetic Special Edition - CD
Metallica | SKU: 8990087 | Release Date: 9/12/2008 Our Price:$29.99
This one brings the bonustracks

Please do not hesitate to contact us back here or at the Sales department at 1-888-BestBuy if any query pops up. Thanks for your time and have a nice day!
Sincerely,
Paula
Best Buy Customer Care Team

Im still not sure what it means but its a start.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='musha666']Yea it will be better then St Anger. That song, Cyanide and the Apocolypse song are decent. My Apcolypse sounds like if they tried to make new songs for ...And Justice For All around the time they were recording for Load/ReLoad.

Im going to assume that people who said the GH tracks are for any of the cds are correct. The wording about "While supplies last" makes it seem like you will get it whether you get the SE or not. I cant imagine them having a $30 SE and not giving you a code for the GH cuz they ran out.

Well I picked up the $10 one and hope Im right about that. I hope my cancellation of my order from missionmetallica goes through. (Just a note, dont ever shop from there its such a mess).

Edit: I emailed Best Buy and got this:

This one brings the bonustracks

Please do not hesitate to contact us back here or at the Sales department at 1-888-BestBuy if any query pops up. Thanks for your time and have a nice day!
Sincerely,
Paula
Best Buy Customer Care Team

Im still not sure what it means but its a start.[/QUOTE]

Looks like that means the $10 album will get you all 10 of their songs on the cd, and as DLC. The $30 album will get you all the songs as CD and DLC and 1 or 2 exclusive best buy DLC songs. Because the album only has 10 songs, but best buy is advertising 11 DLC songs 1 of which is probably the exclusive for best buy.

[quote name='sleepy180']Looks like that means the $10 album will get you all 10 of their songs on the cd, and as DLC. The $30 album will get you all the songs as CD and DLC and 1 or 2 exclusive best buy DLC songs. Because the album only has 10 songs, but best buy is advertising 11 DLC songs 1 of which is probably the exclusive for best buy.[/QUOTE]

Thats what I was thinking. Maybe the 11th track is an old song or just some bonus song for the cd. I replied back to make sure but the whole thing is confusing. A simple description on their websites would have been nice.

I went back to the website and it is more clear now.

Death Magnetic Special Edition - CD $29.99***PLUS Best Buy Exclusive Bonus tracks

Death Magnetic - CD $9.99 **NONE

Best Buy Exclusive Bonus tracks are probably not Metallica songs but rather a compilation of songs from unkown artists.

[quote name='KAR10']I went back to the website and it is more clear now.

Death Magnetic Special Edition - CD $29.99***PLUS Best Buy Exclusive Bonus tracks

Best Buy Exclusive Bonus tracks are probably not Metallica songs but rather a compilation of songs from unkown artists.[/QUOTE]

Where do you see that?

You know, youre right. It never actually says the Guitar Hero III tracks are Metallica.. That would suck if you just end up with a bunch of Dragonforce garbage:|

Best Buy Exclusive Bonus tracks are probably not Metallica songs but rather a compilation of songs from unkown artists.[/QUOTE]

Well fuck that shit. And fuck their retarded "one hour" order cancellation policy as well!

This is getting returned as soon as it arrives. Last time I trust any promotion from BB.

I'm cancelling my order on princible at this point.

You'd think BB would have their crap together on something they clearly paid to promote.

[quote name='Callandor']Well fuck that shit. And fuck their retarded "one hour" order cancellation policy as well!

This is getting returned as soon as it arrives. Last time I trust any promotion from BB.[/QUOTE]

You can cancel it. I just did. Its only one hour for stuff in stock. So that they dont waste their time getting it ready to ship. If you click on the link near where it says one hour cancellation time it says you can cancel anytime while the order is in preorder stage.

Looks like Amazon gets more of my money. Oh well.

[quote name='Callandor']Well fuck that shit. And fuck their retarded "one hour" order cancellation policy as well!

This is getting returned as soon as it arrives. Last time I trust any promotion from BB.[/QUOTE]

You can't even call them to get them to cancel it anymore either? I used to always call them and they cancelled right on the phone.

If you can't even do that, they are getting like Wal-Mart.com After you hit the submit button on their site there is NO cancelling the order. If you don't want it, you have to wait for it to arrive and either return it via mail or in store. Same with Site to Store orders, you have to wait for it to arrive and let it autocancel at the store by not picking up (not adviseable in my opinion) or go to the store, pick it up and walk it up to Customer Service and then return it.

Just fill out the form they have for Contact Us and they will cancel it for you real easily.

As for Wal Marts website, I never had that problem. They always cancel my orders for me without me wanting them too:| Toys R Us was bad with that. They cancel half my order (all but my filler item to use the google check out $10 off $10) and try to charge me like $6 for a PEN.

What I want to know is: What are the DLC tracks? I've yet to hear it officially if the Guitar Hero 3 songs are even from the new album -- or even songs by Metallica for that matter.

Yea I dont know what Best Buy has. I do know that Death Magnetic will be available for Guitar Hero 3 to download the day the cd is released. I would assume the two are the same, but then again Best Buy doesnt actually say they are Metallica tracks. Assuming always leads to trouble so...

Best Buy Exclusive Bonus tracks are probably not Metallica songs but rather a compilation of songs from unkown artists.[/quote]

Where does it say this?

[quote name='mikeyhegs']Irregardless of the guitar hero bonus tracks...there shouldn't be an unforgiven III.[/QUOTE]

Irregardless eh?=-P Yea, we dont need no sequels:)

I wish Best Buy could at least synchronize their support center so they give the same answer to everyone. From the wording on the site it seems like all version should get the card while supplies last. Hopefully for those people who didnt cancel their orders that they do get a card with their order. Me, Im not going to bother.

[quote name='musha666']

This one brings the bonustracks[/quote]

The above statement just about sums up why outsourcing should be illegal in the U.S.
This kind of stupidity runs rampant in the U.S. as well, but it's almost expected at this point when outsourced.

Best Buy: "Bringing the bonustracks" for only $20!

I went ahead and ordered. It's only $10 no big deal. It's a card with the code on it so don't expect to be E-mailed anything.

And if it doesn't come with anything, I will simply call up and file a complaint. I was told by 2 representatives and I have the references for those calls. Not to mention the ad on bestbuy.com is probably one of the most confusing promotions in a while.

[quote name='XTommyDonX']Just called again. They once again said that you should receive the card with any of the 3 versions.[/quote]

I have no doubt that the customer service rep said that, but then what's the difference between the Best Buy special edition and the regular CD?

The title of the promo page says "Best Buy Exclusive" and the only one with "Best Buy Exclusive" checked under Pricing and Promotions is the Best Buy special edition. This is so confusing...

[quote name='williams90']I have no doubt that the customer service rep said that, but then what's the difference between the Best Buy special edition and the regular CD?

The title of the promo page says "Best Buy Exclusive" and the only one with "Best Buy Exclusive" checked under Pricing and Promotions is the Best Buy special edition. This is so confusing...[/quote]

I think that the special edition is just a Best Buy exclusive. Don't know if it's the coffin or not. Is the coffin supposed to be Best Buy exclusive?

[quote name='chelosera91']http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8990087&type=product&id=1900982

Special Offers:

• On Sale
  • javascript:popUp('olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat105600050007&type=category','Promotion','4','0');Best Buy Exclusive
  • Free Shipping
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8978421&type=product&id=1895818

On Sale
Free Metallica CD: Find Out How
Free Shipping

only the first one ($30) says BB exclusive. So thats the one that has the tracks.[/QUOTE]
That's bull. I better get my card for download songs for ordering the normal one or it's hell for customer support

Had $8 left to burn on a gift card, so I'll give it a shot. Worst case scenario I can call and complain, and either way I'm happy to pick this CD up for $3 shipped.

[quote name='musha666']You can cancel it. I just did. Its only one hour for stuff in stock. So that they dont waste their time getting it ready to ship. If you click on the link near where it says one hour cancellation time it says you can cancel anytime while the order is in preorder stage.

Looks like Amazon gets more of my money. Oh well.[/QUOTE]

Well, that's good to know. :D

I think I'll wait a few more days and see how this develops.

Man, everyone is really working themselves up into a lather here. Seriously, Best Buy is not out to harm you. It's likely that the codes will go out with any of the three versions. When I ordered last night, there wasn't even a $30 SE version.

[quote name='chelosera91']http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8990087&type=product&id=1900982

Special Offers:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8978421&type=product&id=1895818

On Sale
Free Metallica CD: Find Out How
Free Shipping

only the first one ($30) says BB exclusive. So thats the one that has the tracks.[/quote]

Just because that SE is exclusive and the 11 songs are exclusive doesn't mean they can only come together. The 11 songs may be exclusive to the store but they can still be given out with the other version.

There is no way the songs (if it is the Death Magnetic album) are exclusive to Best Buy. They will be on the 360 marketplace, as Neversoft said as much at E3. If the Death Magnetic album DLC was an exclusive Best Buy spent millions on, you bet your ass it would have been mentioned at E3.

Now, if the tracks are random artists, there may be a case for them only coming with the SE.

Worst case scenario, you bought the $10 disc, you can return it to the store and call up customer service and complain and likely get a gift card. Or even complain in store and get one. If not you can then proceed to buy the tracks off the marketplace if you have to have them. If that happens, I'll just wait to pick it up for GH:WT since Rock Band 2 comes out two days after the Metallica CD. There will be plenty of rocking to be had without them.

[quote name='robbrism']Nice. I am not even a Metallica fan and that is tempting.

For those questioning why it is 360 only...there is always various exclusive stuff for each of the consoles so I don't see the big deal. Besides...who would own a PS3 and NOT own a 360? ;)[/quote]

That would be me, since it was either a PS3 and enough for a game with it when I first got it or a 360 and maybe a couple of games. I chose the PS3. Maybe it was a mistake, but I don't think so.

Decent deal, even though Metallica has been around forever and alot of their shit sounds the same to me, much like another more recent band(Breaking Benjamin). Plus, I suck at GH, so this is a no go for me.

bread's done
Back