Best Buy Exclusive: 11 Guitar Hero III bonus tracks w/ Metallica's Death Magnetic

KD34XBR960

CAGiversary!
Check out the post below for more info:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat159700050050&type=category

**UPDATE 9/12/08**

The 11 tracks are the same tracks you can buy on XBOX Live. Only the Special Edition has the code to download the tracks. Technically, you have to go to the GH website and enter the code found in the Special Edition to get the XBOX Live code. Each Special Edition has a unique code and so there will not be a repeat of the Disturbed fiasco.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='musha666']Their self titled has great songs, even Load and ReLoad have some pretty good songs. But I forgot, those cds all sold better so since they are popular they must be bad.[/quote]

Or maybe it's cause they just suck.

Looks pretty clear to me on Best Buy's website now that the GH tracks only come with the SE version. It's specifically listed after the CD tracklist on the SE version, but not the regular version.

Good job on creating such a confusing promo BB!

[quote name='elvis731']Looks pretty clear to me on Best Buy's website now that the GH tracks only come with the SE version. It's specifically listed after the CD tracklist on the SE version, but not the regular version.

Good job on creating such a confusing promo BB![/quote]

Oh that's just awesome. Thanks for not putting that there a week ago Best Buy. There will be a fairly large fight comming to one of your local stores' customer support centers pretty soon. See ya there.

I ordered the regular CD. I called BestBuy's customer service and the guy pretty much told me you "should" be getting the tracks with any edition that's listed on there since the ad doesn't specify a certain one and he hasn't heard anything saying you wouldn't. He said he's gotten a lot of calls about it already too...he wasn't clear on what to do if you get it and you don't get the tracks with it. He said to call a store nearby and handle it with them(which sounds weird) because he handles the online stuff(which is how I ordered it).

All right, I'm sick of this confusion. I'm keeping my $9.99 preorder.

If it comes with a code for tracks, awesome. If not, it's getting returned to my local store and a very terse complaint email will be sent off, along with a copy of the original promotional page which I saved on my laptop.

Seriously, is it that fucking hard for "Best" Buy to
1) provide clear promotional terms from the start; and
2) allow customers to easily cancel orders online.

[quote name='Donnums']I ordered the regular CD. I called BestBuy's customer service and the guy pretty much told me you "should" be getting the tracks with any edition that's listed on there since the ad doesn't specify a certain one and he hasn't heard anything saying you wouldn't. He said he's gotten a lot of calls about it already too...he wasn't clear on what to do if you get it and you don't get the tracks with it. He said to call a store nearby and handle it with them(which sounds weird) because he handles the online stuff(which is how I ordered it).[/QUOTE]

That's the thing though. How come their customer service people can't definitively say "yes you are" or "no you are not" getting it with specific versions? Seems like something they should know.

Plus the ad online now does seem to indicate that the GH tracks only come with the SE version (at least to my eyes). Anyway, I hope those who ordered the $9.99 version get the tracks, I'm just dubious that it's going to happen....

I agree. The web site now shows the extra tracks on the listing for the Special Edition version (but not the regular). I don't think we'll know what's going on until Friday. The information is so muddled.

-HM

[quote name='elvis731']That's the thing though. How come their customer service people can't definitively say "yes you are" or "no you are not" getting it with specific versions? Seems like something they should know.

Plus the ad online now does seem to indicate that the GH tracks only come with the SE version (at least to my eyes). Anyway, I hope those who ordered the $9.99 version get the tracks, I'm just dubious that it's going to happen....[/quote]

From what I can understand by talking to BB on the phone, they have no background. All they use is the actual site bestbuy.com. They look at the same thing you look at and take a guess. Pretty worthless what any BB employee says.

And I think it's absolute garbage that they silently sneak the details onto the Special edition page W/Onotifying you. And after so many placed orders as well. It's a week later. Hundreds of orders must have been placed.

This whole promo is a false advertisement deal and it's pretty sickening. Of course BB could have said SE only but of course not. They want to sell you less than you think that you are getting. This will not end well.

Well I'll just throw a pre-order for both and see what happens. I can always return one or both to a B&M location once this whole thing gets sorted out.

[quote name='elvis731']That's the thing though. How come their customer service people can't definitively say "yes you are" or "no you are not" getting it with specific versions? Seems like something they should know.

Plus the ad online now does seem to indicate that the GH tracks only come with the SE version (at least to my eyes). Anyway, I hope those who ordered the $9.99 version get the tracks, I'm just dubious that it's going to happen....[/QUOTE]

If you read my post from earlier, and Facundo clearly and definitively states that the cheaper does NOT come with the GHIII track.

"I've just checked both versions, and you are right, the $9.99 versions doesn't come with the Guitar Hero III bonus track." -Facundo

Looking at their page now seems to verify that he is correct. It doesnt look like anyone who purchased the $9.99 will get the bonus tracks. Maybe the few people with emails from BB customer service that tells them the bonus tracks are with both can manage to get them to honor it but thats about all.

this is cool except i dont really like the new album as much. i would love to get the older albums instead on my 360. maybe in the future that'll be another way to sell older cds, i can see them doing this exclusively for awhile before it hits the marketplace

[quote name='elvis731']Plus the ad online now does seem to indicate that the GH tracks only come with the SE version (at least to my eyes). Anyway, I hope those who ordered the $9.99 version get the tracks, I'm just dubious that it's going to happen....[/quote]
I understand the confusion due to CSRs giving conflicting info over whether the standard edition comes with the code. But what about the special offer page on their site gives you the idea that the std wouldn't include the code?

The offer doesn't even mention the fact that there are two separate versions. How can it possibly even imply that the code only comes with the SE? Please show me what I'm missing.

Here's the scoop: the whole thing is beyond misleading. Their ad sure as heck implies that every copy comes with the code, yet the listing for the SE of the CD implies that ONLY it comes with the code. I guess we won't really know until Friday.

-HM

[quote name='Hollow Man']Here's the scoop: the whole thing is beyond misleading. Their ad sure as heck implies that every copy comes with the code, yet the listing for the SE of the CD implies that ONLY it comes with the code. I guess we won't really know until Friday.

-HM[/quote]
You're right, I see that now. That's VERY misleading. They show a promo, then they link to three items which fit the description of the promo. Clearly you would expect those items to be included in the promo above. I guess I'll just hold out until it's clear.

I'm sure, on Friday, someone at the Metallica forums will have made it out to Best Buy before I get a chance and tell us the scoop. I'm still holding out some kind of idiotic hope that the SE has something cool with it, like the DVD or demo CD that's in the coffin set, but who the heck knows.

-HM

[quote name='xmunitalp']Can we buy it in stores and get the tracks?[/quote]

Still wondering if you can buy the SE version in store (I can get it cheaper) and still get the tracks? Or is it something similar like when Distrubed's Indestructible did it with only a pre-order online?
I am more than willing to get the SE version (since BB has it listed for $29.99) since the track pack costs $17.99, the whole SE package will be only $12 if you think about.

I was told the code is in the cd pacakge and that stores will get it tomorow. In fact Kmart already has it today on sale (Non GH of course)

[quote name='phear3d']this is cool except i dont really like the new album as much. i would love to get the older albums instead on my 360. maybe in the future that'll be another way to sell older cds, i can see them doing this exclusively for awhile before it hits the marketplace[/QUOTE]

Well with GH: Metallica coming out I think thats what you will want.

I wonder how many codes they're actually getting to distribute. Probably not much, typical.

I also have the original pages printed out so they can't say anything since they changed the details in a very sneaky way.

The promo page links to all 3 versions. That is leading people to believe that they are getting a code and that is the wrong thing to do.

Yea, at this point I have my pre-orders in for both versions. The local BB is right next to my house so I'll just stop in and try to find out some details, but as many have stated, it is very confusing and difficult to determine what you actually need to buy to get the codes. I suggest keeping your receipts and DO NOT open your CDs until someone gets a definitive answer. Unfortunately, I don't think we will have that until Friday.

I find it a little weird that both versions of that song in the game have extended solos, and they didn't include the album version at all.

-HM

[quote name='Hollow Man']I find it a little weird that both versions of that song in the game have extended solos, and they didn't include the album version at all.

-HM[/QUOTE]

Guitar solos aren't cool.

[quote name='musha666']If you read my post from earlier, and Facundo clearly and definitively states that the cheaper does NOT come with the GHIII track.

"I've just checked both versions, and you are right, the $9.99 versions doesn't come with the Guitar Hero III bonus track." -Facundo

Looking at their page now seems to verify that he is correct. It doesnt look like anyone who purchased the $9.99 will get the bonus tracks. Maybe the few people with emails from BB customer service that tells them the bonus tracks are with both can manage to get them to honor it but thats about all.[/QUOTE]

I did read your post, but why did I (we) have any reason to believe that Facundo knew anything more than the other clearly clueless BB customer service reps? Because he said he checked? :roll:

Anyhow, simply pointing out to other users, who were still not clear and were seemingly unaware, that Best Buy had updated the description on their Web site. Peace out! :mrgreen:

After catching up with the thread, I see that a lot of discussion has been made over which version to pre-order even though the ad I linked to doesn't mention anything about having to pre-order to get the mysterious 11 tracks. To try to verify, I called bestbuy.com and the CSR, after putting me on hold to check with someone, actually recommended I buy the cd (either version) in store if I wanted to make sure I got the card with the GH code. I guess I'll find out if he was telling the truth Friday morning. Anyhow, I'm glad to hear the new album is getting positive reviews and that the Death Magnetic songs will work on both GH III & IV :applause:.

Can I cancel my preorder? The DLC was priced at $18 so I'm 100% sure it won't come with it. I was gonna buy the CD anyway but I want to buy Pure and I'd rather just wait to get the CD some other time

Although some stores may stupidly put it out today, the official release date is Friday (yep, weird, but what can you do).

-HM

St. Anger came out on Thursday June 5, which was somewhat a suprise release as it was scheduled for Tuesday June 10 but came out early to curb piracy.

[quote name='Hollow Man']Although some stores may stupidly put it out today, the official release date is Friday (yep, weird, but what can you do).

-HM[/quote]

LOL...sorry. So basically the stores are holding it until Friday for no reason...

[quote name='blucadet3']LOL...sorry. So basically the stores are holding it until Friday for no reason...[/quote]
No, they're holding until Friday because if they break street date of the 12th, they run the risk of heavy penalties against them by the record companies.

-HM

[quote name='Hollow Man']No, they're holding until Friday because if they break street date of the 12th, they run the risk of heavy penalties against them by the record companies.

-HM[/QUOTE]

I never heard of actual penalties being handed out. The only thing I read about is companies will basically put them (stores) in the back of the line for shipments.

[quote name='Hollow Man']No, they're holding until Friday because if they break street date of the 12th, they run the risk of heavy penalties against them by the record companies.

-HM[/quote]

Right I didn't mean the store, I meant the release date for cds and movies is usually a tuesday, but they are saying friday. So, they are holding it till friday, for no reason, other than some marketing bullshit about it coming out friday. They can pretend its coming out early for next week, but I know its really just late for this week.

It doesnt really matter. I just want the rock band tracks. If they come with the 9.99 version I'll buy the cd. If not then I wont buy anything.

Yeah, I have no clue what's up with the Friday nonsense. If you go to the Met forums, you'll see tons of the people have gotten the disc already. You can't hide it until Friday.

-HM

I got an email from Best Buy

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The items listed below are now packed and ready to leave our warehouse. Your credit card (or Gift Card) has been charged for the items. If you used a Reward Certificate, it has been applied to your purchase.

Orders that are packed on Saturdays or Sundays do not reach the carrier until Monday morning. When a tracking number is listed below, please note that it has been assigned before the carrier has the package. If your tracking number does not appear immediately when attempting to track your package, the carrier may still be processing this information. You may need to check the carrier's site periodically for the updated information.
[/FONT]

Looks like they're shipping the CD's now.

[quote name='Bioshocked360']I got an email from Best Buy

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The items listed below are now packed and ready to leave our warehouse. Your credit card (or Gift Card) has been charged for the items. If you used a Reward Certificate, it has been applied to your purchase.

Orders that are packed on Saturdays or Sundays do not reach the carrier until Monday morning. When a tracking number is listed below, please note that it has been assigned before the carrier has the package. If your tracking number does not appear immediately when attempting to track your package, the carrier may still be processing this information. You may need to check the carrier's site periodically for the updated information.
[/FONT]

Looks like they're shipping the CD's now.[/QUOTE]
crap, I was gonna cancel. Oh well, I'll still be bugging customer service

[quote name='blucadet3']Right I didn't mean the store, I meant the release date for cds and movies is usually a tuesday, but they are saying friday. So, they are holding it till friday, for no reason, other than some marketing bullshit about it coming out friday. They can pretend its coming out early for next week, but I know its really just late for this week.

It doesnt really matter. I just want the rock band tracks. If they come with the 9.99 version I'll buy the cd. If not then I wont buy anything.[/QUOTE]

There are no Rock Band tracks of this cd either way.

[quote name='musha666']There are no Rock Band tracks of this cd either way.[/quote]

You know what I meant...lol. The games are basically the same, you cant expect me to keep them straight at this point. Oh wait one has rectangle notes and one has round notes. Good attention to detail though. :applause:

[quote name='blucadet3']You know what I meant...lol. The games are basically the same, you cant expect me to keep them straight at this point. Oh wait one has rectangle notes and one has round notes. Good attention to detail though. :applause:[/QUOTE]

True they are the same. I cant wait until they make a Symphony Orchestra game so we can get some Metallica S&M tracks on there:) I will be the Obomophonist:)

It seems everywhere is shipping the cds now. Best Buy is, and Amazon shipped mine out.

I didn't expect them to ship ahead of street, so I decided a while ago to do this the old fashioned way and buy at the store. Oh well, gives me a good excuse to leave the office on Friday.

-HM

damn it, got this today
Hello Josh, I'm Sergio with BestBuy.com Customer Care. How are you?

The special edition of "Death Magnetic" is the one that includes instructions to download 11 exclusive bonus tracks for Guitar Hero III on Xbox 360. The regular edition does not include any bonus tracks.

Please do not hesitate to reply this e-mail if you have any other questions or comments.

Thank you for contacting us Josue.

Have a nice day.

Sergio.
BestBuy.com Customer Care Team.

Original Message Follows:
------------------------
This inquiry is related to: Web

My inquiry is specifically related to: Orders

Questions or Comments: Hi, i was wondering over the new Metallica Cd with the Guitar Hero 3 promo. I've seen there has been a lot of confusion about the promo. Now, does the regular Cd, the one i ordered, come with the Guitar Hero 3 tracks? or is it just the Special Edition?

Well ain't that some grade A bullshit?

Absolutely NOTHING in that flash ad the link takes you to indicated you had to get any sort of special edition to get the tracks. It clearly stated "Death Magnetic" no SE, special, or limited ANYTHING was made known and this likely has screwed a lot of people out of ten bucks thinking they were getting a deal and some GH3 tracks to boot.

I'd contest the hell out of it if I were you.

I mean, it just sounds dirty and underhanded to make an ad that states buying the CD period gets the tracks, only to discover the reality of it is the SE version is the only one with the special promo. You'd have thought the actual promo would mention with at least a lil star in fine print "*=GH3 tracks only available from Special Edition version of album"

Even then....damn...30 bucks? Seriously? I'd bet the tracks as DLC from Live could cost less sold seperately.

It's pretty darn absurd. Not much of a premium. And it sure as hell was confusing on their web site. Definitely made me believe that the SE was going to have something different, and that the GH tracks came with ALL versions of the album sold.

Until I read the fine print they added to the SE on Sunday.

-HM

Well, that seals it. I'll just return this to the local store once I receive it and get my $10.63 back.

Either way, I'm sending off a nice complaint when all is said and done. I realize mistakes happen, but to not correct your actual promo page (the layout of which still implies all three versions include the download code; burying the facts in one item and ignoring the others isn't enough) after, what, two weeks of customer confusion? That's just pathetic.

I don't even want a gift card, credit, or anything. I just want a short, concise apology from their CS.

I really can't stand Best Buy sometimes. Like the time a coupon didn't work on a computer game, and the manager insisted it's because a computer game isn't a VIDEO game. I also get lots of employees insisting even if they wanted to, they cannot override prices in the system.

I hate the lot of them.

-HM

bread's done
Back