Best Buy Exclusive: 11 Guitar Hero III bonus tracks w/ Metallica's Death Magnetic

KD34XBR960

CAGiversary!
Check out the post below for more info:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat159700050050&type=category

**UPDATE 9/12/08**

The 11 tracks are the same tracks you can buy on XBOX Live. Only the Special Edition has the code to download the tracks. Technically, you have to go to the GH website and enter the code found in the Special Edition to get the XBOX Live code. Each Special Edition has a unique code and so there will not be a repeat of the Disturbed fiasco.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea. Im gonna agree that the tracks more likely are NOT Death Magnetic. And with the GH: Metallica due out next year I doubt the songs will even be Metallica:|

Metallica sounds like BB? Huh? I dont know how Metallica can all sound the same to you as all their cds have a completely different sound to them. Thats the reason that after every release old fans say they are sellouts, cuz they change their sound.

I received an email from Best Buy about there September music releases. It doesn't say anything about what tracks the 11 tracks will be. But it looks like the tracks will only come with the exclusive edition. I uploaded the image from the email on tinypic. Here is the link. http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2qibnua&s=4. Now I'm just not sure if I should cancel my regular order and order the exclusive edition or just wait and argue that when I ordered on Sunday there wasn't anything listed about it being just for the exclusive edition?

keep in mind that "exclusive bonus tracks" may simply be referring to audio tracks on the CD and have nothing to do with DLC... I have a feeling that distinction is causing a lot of confusion in the various customer service calls and product descriptions. In other words the limited edition may be the only edition with bonus tracks, but all editions might still have the DLC.

[quote name='goldeneye64']I received an email from Best Buy about there September music releases. It doesn't say anything about what tracks the 11 tracks will be. But it looks like the tracks will only come with the exclusive edition. I uploaded the image from the email on tinypic. Here is the link. http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2qibnua&s=4. Now I'm just not sure if I should cancel my regular order and order the exclusive edition or just wait and argue that when I ordered on Sunday there wasn't anything listed about it being just for the exclusive edition?[/quote]

Wow, was it so difficult for them to put that text on the actual website where 99% of the people heard this from. I'll wait until I receive it in which I will then argue with BB. I find it absolutely ridiculous that they couldn't put that one sentence in the ad on the website.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='XTommyDonX']Wow, was is so difficult for them to put that text on the actual website where 99% of the people heard this from. I'll wait until I receive it in which I will then argue with BB. I find it absolutely ridiculous that they couldn't put that one sentence in the ad on the website.[/QUOTE]

No kidding. A simple listing of what the 11 songs are would be helpful too.

[quote name='cavie2002']probably did this to trick people into buying the shitty album[/QUOTE]

Its actually pretty good. But hate away.

In case it wasnt clear enough already, and to give people time to cancel any orders:

Mike,
I am Facundo with Best Buy Customer Care. Hope you are having a great day.
I've just checked both versions, and you are right, the $9.99 versions doesn't come with the Guitar Hero III bonus track.
Hope this is the information you were looking for, and I wish you an excellent week!
Facundo.

So says Facundo, so no GH3 tracks with the $9.99 version.

[quote name='cavie2002']probably did this to trick people into buying the shitty album[/QUOTE]

Why would you want to have the album tracks in the game then?

I went back to the website and it is more clear now.

Death Magnetic Special Edition - CD $29.99***PLUS Best Buy Exclusive Bonus tracks

Death Magnetic - CD $9.99 **NONE

Best Buy Exclusive Bonus tracks are probably not Metallica songs but rather a compilation of songs from unkown artists.

[quote name='XTommyDonX']Where does it say this?[/QUOTE]

www.bestbuy.com/metallica

In the ad it does not mention anything about metallica songs being the downloading content of the best buy exclusive.

At the buttom of the page, notice where the prices of the cd's are, the $29.99 says "Best Buy Exclusive" and the $9.99 does not say anything.

Eh, I ordered the regular version already. I only payed 5.29 for it since I had a $5 GC.
At least I don't have to spend an arm and a leg at FYE for the CD or anything.

[quote name='musha666']Irregardless eh?=-P Yea, we dont need no sequels:).[/quote]

I just remember when I first heard unforgiven II...and James sang "unforgiven too" in the song. It made me cringe a little. I'm wondering if they're gonna work III into the lyrics somewhere?

Where's the option to cancel? It doesn't say it anywhere in my order status. It's only a preorder so the FAQ says I can still cancel it.
Thanks.

So... $20 for 11 bonus songs? :lol: Epic fail.

I'll keep my pre-order since I was getting the album anyway, but I will take a print out in and bitch to try and get a code. If I fail there I will call CS to try again. The SE wasn't even listed when most of us pre-ordered. Very ridiculous.

[quote name='mikeyhegs']I just remember when I first heard unforgiven II...and James sang "unforgiven too" in the song. It made me cringe a little. I'm wondering if they're gonna work III into the lyrics somewhere?[/QUOTE]

He doesnt, he changes it to forgive me... me rhymes with three though so theres that:)

Its a good cd as most of you probably have heard by now though, easily worth the $10. (Or 9 at Amazon).

To cancel your order there is a contact us link someplace on their page and you click the email part and it will have a webform to fill out. Mine was canceled within a couple hours of sending it.

I just ordered tickets for there show in NJ at the end of Jan. As part of the deal with the pre-sale you have to buy a copy of the cd and you get a complimentary copy digital download of the show you attended also. So since I bought 2 tickets I'm getting 2 cds one which I can sell to a friend. So I really don't want a 3rd copy thru Best Buy cause it looks like that you wont get the GH tracks even with arguing with customer service.

[quote name='KingAdrock99']Whatever Lars.[/QUOTE]

I wish. Its funny when people bash on stuff they havent even heard. Once you listened to it then make an opinion and if you dont like it who cares. When you come into a thread about Metallica only to say how shitty a cd that you havent yet heard is pretty ignorant.

And after listening to it it is pretty good. If youre on of the "I only like old before they got popular" people who only listen to loud heavy music and for whatever reason expect that here then you wont like it.

[quote name='musha666']In case it wasnt clear enough already, and to give people time to cancel any orders:

Mike,
I am Facundo with Best Buy Customer Care. Hope you are having a great day.
I've just checked both versions, and you are right, the $9.99 versions doesn't come with the Guitar Hero III bonus track.
Hope this is the information you were looking for, and I wish you an excellent week!
Facundo.

So says Facundo, so no GH3 tracks with the $9.99 version.[/QUOTE]

Someone give Facundo a raise. Finally, a clear BB rep!

Off to cancel my $9.99 preorder (well, later; I don't feel like calling them from work). Thanks for the heads up, OP, even though it didn't quite work out.

[quote name='heartagram311']I was going to get this CD on launch, but after seeing this pre order bonus, I'm def. going to get it at Best Buy. 11 Free GH tracks? Can't beat that![/quote]

I was pretty set on *not* buying this CD, but 11 GH songs for about 10 ain't bad.

*EDIT* ... but for $20 is ridiculous.

Yeah, I was excited at first, but $20 for 11 mystery GH songs just seems wrong. I personally hated St. Anger, but I'm willing to give the new Metallica cd a listen. I've been listening to them since Kill 'Em All, and I'm not giving them up yet.

[quote name='spideymike']Yeah, I was excited at first, but $20 for 11 mystery GH songs just seems wrong. I personally hated St. Anger, but I'm willing to give the new Metallica cd a listen. I've been listening to them since Kill 'Em All, and I'm not giving them up yet.[/QUOTE]

Its online now if you wanted to give it a preview. I think if you arent one of the people who hate Load/ReLoad you will enjoy it. Its heavier then those but the vocals still sound like the singing from Load days. A lot more solos though. The more I listen to it the more I enjoy it too.

And the plus side of things, if you do compare it to St Anger, then it will be the best cd you ever listened to:D

Hmm... here's some extra confusion. I emailed them as well, and here's what I got back:

Heath,

I am Nicolas with BestBuy.com Customer Care.

Thank you for contacting us regarding the Metallica "Death Magnetic" preorder. As it is shown on the web site, you will receive a card with instructions to download the Guitar Hero III song along with your order. This is for both the standard and special edition CDs.

I understand that the promotion instructions might be a little short and not that instructive, so we shall work on that on our end. I apologize if this may have confused you, that was not at all our intention.

If you still have any doubts or questions, you can contact us again as many times you like 24/7 or call 1-888-BESTBUY.

Sincerely,
Nicolas
BestBuy.com Customer Care Team

So this guy says that the $9.99 version DOES come with the free GHIII downloads. Oh well. Worst case scenario, I get the CD for ten bucks. I was probably gonna buy it anyway.

EDIT: I didn't see that other people have also been getting conflicting reports as well - never mind, this doesn't add much to the discussion after all.

What's up with all the Metallica hating? Take your trolling to the discussion board, no one gives a rats ass about it here.

Anyway back on topic, I gonna be bugging them until they give me a gift card or something if I don't get a download card

[quote name='MikeHoncho']
Anyway back on topic, I gonna be bugging them until they give me a gift card or something if I don't get a download card[/QUOTE]

Exactly. False advertising and intentionally misleading the customer into a purchase is a big no-no and I'll put up a stink at the counter if I have to. The code is the only reason I pre-ordered the disc plain and simple.

[quote name='TheJerkle']Hmm... here's some extra confusion. I emailed them as well, and here's what I got back:

Heath,

I am Nicolas with BestBuy.com Customer Care.

Thank you for contacting us regarding the Metallica "Death Magnetic" preorder. As it is shown on the web site, you will receive a card with instructions to download the Guitar Hero III song along with your order. This is for both the standard and special edition CDs.

I understand that the promotion instructions might be a little short and not that instructive, so we shall work on that on our end. I apologize if this may have confused you, that was not at all our intention.

If you still have any doubts or questions, you can contact us again as many times you like 24/7 or call 1-888-BESTBUY.

Sincerely,
Nicolas
BestBuy.com Customer Care Team

So this guy says that the $9.99 version DOES come with the free GHIII downloads. Oh well. Worst case scenario, I get the CD for ten bucks. I was probably gonna buy it anyway.

EDIT: I didn't see that other people have also been getting conflicting reports as well - never mind, this doesn't add much to the discussion after all.[/QUOTE]

I think this is what the big problem is here. Not so much that the website is confusing and makes no sense, but that no one on their customer service has the same story to tell people. If I cared anymore I would email them the response I got and the response you got to them and see why they say we get two opposite answers for the same question.

Do yourself a favor though, buy it for $8.99 free shipping from Amazon. If you want the GHIII tracks for the new Metallica cd I would wait and buy them on the XBox marketplace, as I doubt the bonus tracks are even Metallica songs.

Do yourself a favor though, buy it for $8.99 free shipping from Amazon. If you want the GHIII tracks for the new Metallica cd I would wait and buy them on the XBox marketplace, as I doubt the bonus tracks are even Metallica songs.

They've said for over a month that the entire Death Magnetic album will be available as GH3 DLC the same day the album is released. The free track Best Buy promotion is for these tracks. The entire album for free with the CD. On the marketplace, it will cost roughly $20. I guarantee it.

Another conflicting email:

Hello Patrick, how are you today? I'm Cecilia with Best Buy Customer Care.

The only CD that includes the bonus tracks is the Special Edition: SKU: 8990087. I'm really sorry for any inconvenience this might have caused you, Patrick, but I'm afraid the regular edition you ordered will not include it.

If you would take my advice, I would recommend you to cancel this order while you can and place a new order with the correct one. That is, of course, if you'd prefer to have it.

Have a wonderful week Patrick!

Cecilia
Best Buy Customer Care Team

I'm hoping the confusion is that these so-called "Bonus Tracks" are actual songs on the CD itself, or EXTRA songs for GHIII that don't include the album. And that there is a card to download the album to GHIII with every album.

I'll keep my pre-order, but Activision/Neversoft should really speak up on this, as well.

I'll have to buy the GH tracks separately then because I get the CD early with the Metallica concert tickets I just bought through a radio station presale. :razz: I'm sure the tracks won't be arguably crappy songs, but the great old stuff we all know and love.

[quote name='Lexxon']Another conflicting email:

I'm hoping the confusion is that these so-called "Bonus Tracks" are actual songs on the CD itself, or EXTRA songs for GHIII that don't include the album. And that there is a card to download the album to GHIII with every album.

I'll keep my pre-order, but Activision/Neversoft should really speak up on this, as well.[/QUOTE]Yup, I've said it before and I'll say it again... I think a lot of confusion is stemming from the term "bonus tracks." Opens the door for a lot of miscommunication with these customer service reps.

Best buy is going to get a shit storm after a crap load of people don't get the songs with their normal CDs. I'll be one of them contributing to the mayhem. I'm not going to stop calling them until I receive my code to download the songs or a gift card.

[quote name='TheSecretBaldwin']They've said for over a month that the entire Death Magnetic album will be available as GH3 DLC the same day the album is released. The free track Best Buy promotion is for these tracks. The entire album for free with the CD. On the marketplace, it will cost roughly $20. I guarantee it.[/QUOTE]

You may be right. Yes GH3 will get Death Magnetic on the day of release, as will GH4 when its out. Best Buy says 11 exclusive bonus tracks for GH3, not once saying they of of the cd. Death Magnetic will be in the XBox Marketplace, which means they wouldnt be exclusive to Best Buy. Maybe BB lies, or maybe the GH3 tracks are the 10 DM songs and only ONE exclusive bonus track (prolly Cyanide live version) but they do not say either way.

Also do the math, you need to pay $30 dollars at Best Buy to get the version with the 11 GH3 tracks. If you are right and it costs about $20 on Xbox live, add that to the $9 for the cd you still make out and you actually know what you are getting. (I wont mention how most CAGs probably have a stock pile of free MS points anyways)

All I know is I like to know what I am buying before I buy it, Best Buy really isnt clear about it so I am not going to bother. Maybe if in the upcoming week they change the descriptions, tell which cd the bonus tracks come with, WHAT the tracks are, and even maybe tell what makes the Special Edition special, then maybe Ill buy it there.

Bottom line = GH tracks with all versions of the CD and 'bonus songs' (as in actual songs to listen to....not to play on GH) with the $30 special edition.

BustaUppa is right. The confusion is stemming from the terms "bonus tracks".

I'm with busta and chubby. I think the bonus tracks are actual CD bonus tracks. I believe they will give away the DM DLC, because honestly, who is going to buy that shit for GHIII with GH:WT six weeks away?

Im confused: do I need to buy the $30 Special Edition to get the GH songs, or can I preorder the $10 CD?

[quote name='dim2192']Im confused: do I need to buy the $30 Special Edition to get the GH songs, or can I preorder the $10 CD?[/QUOTE]

Oy vay. Just order the $10 version and you should be all set.

does anyone plan to get the cd alone but have no use for code(if you're a ps3 user maybe?)
I could buy code from you for couple of bucks(I don't care about the cd).
if so, pm me.
thanks^^

[quote name='MikeHoncho']What's up with all the Metallica hating? Take your trolling to the discussion board, no one gives a rats ass about it here.

Anyway back on topic, I gonna be bugging them until they give me a gift card or something if I don't get a download card[/QUOTE]

Um, could have something to do with the fact that they've not written a song worth shit since Cliff Burton died...

[quote name='mietha']Um, could have something to do with the fact that they've not written a song worth shit since Cliff Burton died...[/QUOTE]

Their self titled has great songs, even Load and ReLoad have some pretty good songs. But I forgot, those cds all sold better so since they are popular they must be bad.

[quote name='mietha']Um, could have something to do with the fact that they've not written a song worth shit since Cliff Burton died...[/QUOTE]
And justice for all is classic metallica post burton, and kill em all and lightning were both written primarily w/o cliff. Actually Dave Mustaine wrote some tracks on those two. Anyway if theis adds to the BB confusion, the 9.99 edition lists discs as 1 and the 29.99 one doesnt specify one disc so it likely includes a dvd.

[quote name='peacefrog78']And justice for all is classic metallica post burton, and kill em all and lightning were both written primarily w/o cliff. Actually Dave Mustaine wrote some tracks on those two. Anyway if theis adds to the BB confusion, the 9.99 edition lists discs as 1 and the 29.99 one doesnt specify one disc so it likely includes a dvd.[/quote]

I checked the Metallica Website. and the SE is gonna contain a DVD, and an extra CD with Studio Demos of the songs. as well as other shit in the box. pretty cool deal for only $30.00. You get like a poster, and a flag. A code for a special UK event thats gonna be streamed live online, and something else. So, I think the DLC may come with either version. does this help anyone at all now?

The Mission: Metallica website details the special coffin package (well over $100), which is NOT the special edition that Best Buy shows for a mere ~$30. As near as I can tell, no one is really sure what extra thing the Best Buy SE will have (although it's likely it's one of the things, such as the DVD, that comes in the coffin).

-HM

If it does come with the regular edition then that would be pretty cool, being that it also says Guitar Hero World Tour on the CD case as well.

bread's done
Back