Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked FAQ

Now I'm just wondering what's going to happen if major changes/cancellations of the GCU program occur. I hope the GCU program stays the same or gets better over the years.
Major changes will come people have been asking for them all along, I don`t see them cancelling though it`s a money maker although they need to figure how to get people to pay full price at some point.
http://www.forums.bestbuy.com/t5/ideas/v2/ideaexchangepage/blog-id/IdeaX

Read in the opening post that the deal for GCU for $30 was extended to the 16th. I'm just curious as to how accurate this information is. No games i currently want to buy but CoD:AW which isn't until next week. I see no ad scans or the like. Really don't want to miss the deal but also don't want to deal with buying and trading stuff in.
Extended thru 11/22 error different promo

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm so essentially two years would get me 20 percent off of 6 games as  only plan to have an X1 over the next two years. Best Buy is kind of out of the way for me and I generally go through Amazon for release day delivery. Not sure if I should go in on this or not.

Not voting yet but I bought 2 years with this deal on Wednesday. Considering doing it again with MCC or setting up a second GCU Account in my fiancé's name. Good investment or no?

Hmmm so essentially two years would get me 20 percent off of 6 games as only plan to have an X1 over the next two years. Best Buy is kind of out of the way for me and I generally go through Amazon for release day delivery. Not sure if I should go in on this or not.
I just don't get how people can keep misinterpreting it this way. It is in the OP, and it is literally answered on the very page of the thread that your post appears on. You are limited to 3 of the same title, per platform, not 3 titles per platform. If you could only get 3 games per console per year, it wouldn't be much of a deal at $30, and would be absolutely laughable at $60 or $120.

Hi Guys - great thread. I read through the FAQ and have a couple of questions:

1. Do I understand correctly that I can buy 2 years of Gamers Club for just $30 if I purchase a new game for $39.99 or more? That's what the title of this thread says, but there are references in the FAQ and elsewhere that say the price has dropped from $119 to $99.  So is it $30 or $99 please?

2. I want to purchase COD Advanced Warfare for PS4. I want to do the BB pre-order so that I can get the $10 certificate.  I understand from the FAQ I need to do that pre-order in-store.  But I can't then use this as my $39.99 and up game required to get the $30 GCU then right, because COD cannot be bought yet?  And if I wait until it is on sale on Monday, then I will not qualify for the $30 GCU right?

So what's the best approach that would enable me to get the GCU and COD @ 20% off with $10 pre-purchase certificate?

Sounds like I may need to buy a "dummy" $39.99+ game along with GCU tomorrow for $30, then also prepurchase COD, then trade-in the dummy COD game for close to what I bought it for (like with Forza mention here earlier), then pick up COD in a day or two when GCU is active @ 20% off.  Is that right? Or is there any easier way?

Thanks!

I just don't get how people can keep misinterpreting it this way. It is in the OP, and it is literally answered on the very page of the thread that your post appears on. You are limited to 3 of the same title, per platform, not 3 titles per platform. If you could only get 3 games per console per year, it wouldn't be much of a deal at $30, and would be absolutely laughable at $60 or $120.
Q: Once I am a member of Gamers Club Unlocked, is there a limit to how many new video games I can buy with my 20% discount?
A: Yes. Members are limited to three copies of a new (i.e. not pre-owned) gaming software title per platform, per year. Collector’s and Limited Editions count toward that title limit. Game of the Year editions, usually released much later including additional content do not count toward that limit but would essentially start as a separate game and limit.
I think its an easy assumption. I didn't know that meant 3 copies of the same title. I think a lot of people, including myself just read that and think 3 games. It doesn't even cross most people's minds to think of buying multiple copies the same title. The wording is correct it just doesn't register. Instantly took it to mean the deal only worked for 3 titles of a game on any platform. This is much better and makes me consider it. I would be all over it if Best Buy was very close to me. Thanks for the clarification.

This isn't covered in the FAQ and I don't know if it has since changed since the membership started. But if you bought 2 of the SAME game and then did an exchange or return/rebuy it would count against the 3 limit. Is this still the case or did they correct that?

The reason I ask is I am thinking of buying a friend a copy of SSB for 3DS for his birthday this week. I would also like a copy of the game, so I was thinking of buying two copies and then doing a return/rebuy next week to take part in the B1G150%. But would that give me a total of 4 copies??

This isn't covered in the FAQ and I don't know if it has since changed since the membership started. But if you bought 2 of the SAME game and then did an exchange or return/rebuy it would count against the 3 limit. Is this still the case or did they correct that?

The reason I ask is I am thinking of buying a friend a copy of SSB for 3DS for his birthday this week. I would also like a copy of the game, so I was thinking of buying two copies and then doing a return/rebuy next week to take part in the B1G150%. But would that give me a total of 4 copies??
Returning a game subtracts from the 3 game limit. So buy 2, return 1, buy 2 more equals 3 total.

I bought two years, but with COD's midnight release, I'm seriously considering extending another two years to take me to 2020 (I started my membership back in Feb when I purchased my PS4).

I don't think it's really worth it if you can only buy 3 new games for 20% off per year. I rather just use Amazon and get free shipping and no tax, since I buy many games per year, it adds up. Thoughts?

ok guys, I did read the FAQ but did not find what my answer.I

I pre-ordered COd AW lsat week, but I was not a GCU member yet. Today I became a GCU member, and it is already showing up on my profile that I am GCU.

Will I have trouble getting the 20% off tomorrow when I pick up my game in store since I pre-ordered without being a member yet? Do they need to do anything different? Cancel and reorder? Also, that $10,00 coupon towards the AW purchase (obtained when I traded in ghosts) will stack fine?

Thank you

I have two years right now after the deal last week and probably will extend it by 2.

My only complaint on this deal is I kinda wish Best Buy would add 2X points for Blu-ray movies and DVD's across the board.  I'm not asking for the 20% as I can only imagine how competitive Best Buy has to be there.  I would just like 2X rewards on the purchase.

If they added that, for both my movies and games I'd likely buy from Best Buy as often as I could for movies and games.  With music, unless MS ends up doing some partnership with HDTracks then i'll stick with HDTracks.

I don't think it's really worth it if you can only buy 3 new games for 20% off per year. I rather just use Amazon and get free shipping and no tax, since I buy many games per year, it adds up. Thoughts?
3 games limit is only for the same title and platform. You can buy unlimited games otherwise.

Why else would they be regularly charging $120?

At $15, and saving $12 + tax for a $60 game, this will pay itself off in less than 2 games.

I pre-ordered COd AW lsat week, but I was not a GCU member yet. Today I became a GCU member, and it is already showing up on my profile that I am GCU.

Will I have trouble getting the 20% off tomorrow when I pick up my game in store since I pre-ordered without being a member yet? Do they need to do anything different? Cancel and reorder? Also, that $10,00 coupon towards the AW purchase (obtained when I traded in ghosts) will stack fine?

Thank you
As long as you have GCU now, the 20% will come off the total when you pick it up. GCU isn't factored in at the time of preorder, only your membership number to be eligible for the $10 in rewards from preordering.

3 games limit is only for the same title and platform. You can buy unlimited games otherwise.

Why else would they be regularly charging $120?

At $15, and saving $12 + tax for a $60 game, this will pay itself off in less than 2 games.

As long as you have GCU now, the 20% will come off the total when you pick it up. GCU isn't factored in at the time of preorder, only your membership number to be eligible for the $10 in rewards from preordering.
thank you man. I can't believe I will pick up COD AW for $48 - 10 (coupon) - 20 (COD ghosts) = 18 bucks + 10 bucks on rewards!!!!!!

I have two years right now after the deal last week and probably will extend it by 2.

My only complaint on this deal is I kinda wish Best Buy would add 2X points for Blu-ray movies and DVD's across the board. I'm not asking for the 20% as I can only imagine how competitive Best Buy has to be there. I would just like 2X rewards on the purchase.
If they added that, for both my movies and games I'd likely buy from Best Buy as often as I could for movies and games. With music, unless MS ends up doing some partnership with HDTracks then i'll stick with HDTracks.
They have 2X points on select movies for $9.99 each right now.

Couldn't I just return the game I buy unopened and keep the GCU?

Also, in case I want to keep the game I buy (let's say Destiny) and Best Buy lowers the price for Black Friday, does price match cover that? I think they may have done that last year, but I don't remember.

Couldn't I just return the game I buy unopened and keep the GCU?

Also, in case I want to keep the game I buy (let's say Destiny) and Best Buy lowers the price for Black Friday, does price match cover that? I think they may have done that last year, but I don't remember.
You are not the first and will not be the last, so here is a response from Dc Delta, for those trying to scam Best Buy out of a subscription. The My Best Buy program is essentially a way to track every single purchase you make while rewarding you with points. All returns/exchanges require a government issued ID. Best Buy is the last retailer you want to do this to especially when they have so much information on you.

Best Buy does not offer price match on Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals.

I evidently have two accounts. One GCU, and one not. I have no rewards points on my account that is GCU (yet, some are pending), and have 197 points on my account that is not GCU. Is there a way to transfer the points from the non GCU account, to my GCU account? I know you can switch Member ID numbers, but I don't want to do that, since I'd end up in the same scenario as I am in now. 

I evidently have two accounts. One GCU, and one not. I have no rewards points on my account that is GCU (yet, some are pending), and have 197 points on my account that is not GCU. Is there a way to transfer the points from the non GCU account, to my GCU account? I know you can switch Member ID numbers, but I don't want to do that, since I'd end up in the same scenario as I am in now.
I believe both accounts have to be under the same name--if they are, then they can merge it. I think that can be done through the forum with one of the mods.

Don't quote me, but I believe that's how it works.

This is a great deal--going to extend my GCU and toss the pre-paid phone away or something :D

Thank you
Q: If I have already pre-ordered games, will the 20% off be applied to those orders?
A: This will depend on whether you placed these pre-orders in-store or through BestBuy.com

•In-Store:
If you pre-ordered in-store, you will receive the 20% off benefit as long as you are an active Gamers Club Unlocked member when you pick up your pre-order. You will need to ensure your My Best Buy account is added to the purchase when the game is picked up.

•BestBuy.com:
If you pre-ordered on BestBuy.com for either Store Pickup or shipping, we are not able to add this benefit to your existing order. You will need to either cancel and re-do your pre-order or return and repurchase the game once it is fulfilled to get the 20% off. To receive this benefit going forward, you will need to ensure that you are signed in to your BestBuy.com account when you place an order and have your My Best Buy account linked to your BestBuy.com account.
I have updated the FAQ to clarify on what Dc Delta meant.

Is this in-store only? BB website still shows $119
Gamers Club Unlocked can only be sign up/renew in store. The benefits however can be use in store or online (with the exception of the 10% trade in bonus which is in-store only).

Is this stated anywhere?? I think I remember reading that, but I want to make sure.
It was the case back in January of this year but it might have changed. Links to the Best Buy forum where I got the answer no longer work since they have been deleted/archived.

I finally got some answers relating to the 20% off limit.

• Even if you returned a game, it does count towards the 20% off limit.
  • The limit does not reset, it is currently considered lifetime.
  • Games that are part of order cancellations do not count toward the limit.
  • If you would like to purchase more than 3 games of the same title, it is recommended to not link it with your My Best Buy account.
http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/My-Best-Buy-Gamers-Club/For-the-20-discount-on-new-games-is-the-3-limit-per-title-a/m-p/767941/highlight/true#M13507

The information as we have it is that there is a limit of three games of the same title, regardless of platform. There is no expiration date on that restriction, aside from your Unlocked expiration date. If you would like to purchase more than 3 new copies of any one game, I would recommend you do not attach the purchases in excess of 3 to your My Best Buy account, to ensure you are in compliance with this rule.

As a reminder, Unlocked customers also get 10% off used games, and those would not count towards your new purchases.

http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/My-Best-Buy-Gamers-Club/20-off-Unlocked-Discount-Limit-3-Question/m-p/768099/highlight/true#M13521
Thank you for being an Unlocked member. You can rest assured that order cancellations will not be counted against your 3 title limit. Returns may be, however, as they are the result of a completed transaction either online or in-store prior to the return.

While the rules may be amended in the future, at this time there is no reset date on when those 3 games can be purchased. As long as you are eligible to receive a 20% discount on new games, it is expected that you can purchase up to 3 copies of any one game.

Used games would not count toward this limit, as they have their own 10% discount wholly separate from the new game bonus.

I have reviewed the Disney Infinity Power Disc packs with the My Best Buy team to gain clarification on those items, as they are one SKU for packs with randomized discs inside. I have learned that while the 20% discount and limitation rules are specifically referring to new game titles (i.e. Battlefield 4, Ryse) it may be made available to physical game add-ons such as the Power Discs. While this is not a guarantee that all add-ons are eligible for the discount, those to which it is provided will not be looked at for the purpose of the 3 title limit. Go Power Disc crazy!

I believe both accounts have to be under the same name--if they are, then they can merge it. I think that can be done through the forum with one of the mods.

Don't quote me, but I believe that's how it works.

This is a great deal--going to extend my GCU and toss the pre-paid phone away or something :D
Thank you! They're both under my name, so it shouldn't be an issue. Now to sign up for the Best Buy forums.. This is probably easier then asking them to do it in store, right?

Has anyone had problems with getting the 2 year extension to stack onto a previous 2 years (both gotten with this deal) ?

nope, maybe have done that--people have done it in the same transaction on SD (sign up for 2 years, add another 2).
What about them running out of physical GCU cards?

Thats my biggest concern right now, with the combo of this deal + COD coming out tomorrow

So I read the FAQ and my question wasn't there:

Q: why would anyone do this right now when you can get it free with a $15 prepaid phone? :p

So I read the FAQ and my question wasn't there:

Q: why would anyone do this right now when you can get it free with a $15 prepaid phone? :p

so if we have a gift receipt for the game bought and a friend returns the game using gift receipt, will they value paid be given in a gift card? OR will it be value paid minus the $30 paid for Games Unlocked.

Can I trade in Madden 15 (52.50 value) and apply that credit toward the purchase of Advanced Warfare to qualify for my $39.99+ game?  Thus paying $30 for GCU only?  Or does it have to be actual cash exchanged to meet the minimum requirement?

edit: nevermind the particular store closes at 8pm tonight.  If I preorder online, can I buy GCU tomorrow when I go pick up the game and still get the 20% off?

Can I trade in Madden 15 (52.50 value) and apply that credit toward the purchase of Advanced Warfare to qualify for my $39.99+ game? Thus paying $30 for GCU only? Or does it have to be actual cash exchanged to meet the minimum requirement?

edit: nevermind the particular store closes at 8pm tonight. If I preorder online, can I buy GCU tomorrow when I go pick up the game and still get the 20% off?
No

Online doesnt work

I got a subscription on Saturday. Yesterday I received my welcome email. When I click the link in the email to print my coupons, I just get an error page. Anyone else having this issue?

Haven't seen this exact question answered specifically so I'll just ask...

I bought a random $39.99 dollar game last week just to get the $30 GCU. I haven't opened that game cause I'm waiting for MCC and exchange it. Now, will that work or will I be charged $119.99 for the GCU?

Basically, anyone returned the $39.99 game they bought to get the $30.00 GC?

I got a subscription on Saturday. Yesterday I received my welcome email. When I click the link in the email to print my coupons, I just get an error page. Anyone else having this issue?
Looks like the website is finally working for me. If you were having this issue earlier, give it another shot now.

Does anything show up on your account to indicate that you are an gcu member? Right now when I log into my bestbuy it shows elite.

Does anything show up on your account to indicate that you are an gcu member? Right now when I log into my bestbuy it shows elite.
It should give you a expiration date above the gamers unlocked logo. Sign into your Best Buy account, go to rewards, and then click "overview".

It should give you a expiration date above the gamers unlocked logo. Sign into your Best Buy account, go to rewards, and then click "overview".
How long does it normally take to show once you bought the membership? I've heard 24 hours, but also seen 1-2 weeks.

Can anyone confirm this expires on the 16th?  I see it in the OP and the link goes to an ad but has no dates. 

bread's done
Back