Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked FAQ

Haven't seen this exact question answered specifically so I'll just ask...

I bought a random $39.99 dollar game last week just to get the $30 GCU. I haven't opened that game cause I'm waiting for MCC and exchange it. Now, will that work or will I be charged $119.99 for the GCU?

Basically, anyone returned the $39.99 game they bought to get the $30.00 GC?
I too would like the details for the "bundle" as GCU is non-returnable/non-refundable.

Tried to get this last two days at my best buy with the preorder pick up of COD AW and the register freezes when they add GCU. They have rebooted five registers so far.

Just an FYI for those who recently enrolled.  As others have reported, my account showed GCU online within 24 hours.

My only question about this is can I use a $5 reward certificate on the game I'm buying which would still make it above 39.99 and still get the whole promotion to work?

My only question about this is can I use a $5 reward certificate on the game I'm buying which would still make it above 39.99 and still get the whole promotion to work?
I don't see why not. I had a $10 gift card I used on my transaction and I don't see a reward certificate being any different

I' in. Even though I don't go through Best Buy that much for my games, when I learned it was more than just 3 titles a year I decided to hop on board. I will just have to make trips to Best Buy a little more regularly. Thanks GAG. I'm about to go HAM after I get my X1.

This worked great for me, just as instructed in the FAQ. The cashier told me that that he had also signed up for this deal as it was better that his employee discount. Jump on this or the phone deal.

I' in. Even though I don't go through Best Buy that much for my games, when I learned it was more than just 3 titles a year I decided to hop on board. I will just have to make trips to Best Buy a little more regularly. Thanks GAG. I'm about to go HAM after I get my X1.
The 20% off works on in store and online purchases.

Does anyone know if the discounts you receive from GCU apply to the Nintendo eshop prepaid cards? I mainly buy those since I digitally download my games. Also does the GCU discount apply to buying devices such as external hard drives?

Does anyone know if the discounts you receive from GCU apply to the Nintendo eshop prepaid cards? I mainly buy those since I digitally download my games. Also does the GCU discount apply to buying devices such as external hard drives?
Nope, new games with the exception of game accessories like Skylanders and Amiibos also are discounted.

The FAQ states...

Q: Can I stack additional subscriptions on top of my current one?
A: Yes

...But I went to Best Buy today and told the cashier, who was one of the managers, that I wanted to add an additional 2 yrs to my current subscription. She said it would override my current subscription and expire 2 yrs from today. I asked her if she was sure cuz I had read online that it would extend. She admitted she wasn't sure and went to ask the gaming supervisor, who agreed that it would override my current subscription rather than extend it. So I called the 800 number (customer service) and asked them too. After conferring  with her supervisor, the rep told me the promo is meant for new GCU members. That if I were to buy it, it would extend my membership for a few months, but not for 2 yrs, since I already have it.

The questions I pose to this forum is... 

Has anyone successfully extended their current GCU membership (for 2 years) with this current promotion? 

Where did the OP get the info for this FAQ?

An official source that confirms I can stack GCU memberships would give me the piece of mind to pull the trigger on this deal.

Thanks!

Yes it stacks. I'm now good through March 2018. Don't even bother asking the employees, they don't have a clue.

Is there a way to check online to see when your current GCU subscription ends or do you have to do it in store? I may be interested in extending but can't seem to find my expiration date anywhere.

One question I've got that sorta has to do with GCU and Best Buy in general. I got my welcome packed with my b2g1 used game coupon that is sadly in store only except none of the stores around here have any games I actually want. Would I be able to order them online and when they come in return and rebuy in store using my coupon? Or could I maybe talk CS into letting me use the coupon online somehow instead?

If anyone could help with this problem It would be greatly appreciated.

I signed up for GCU on Tuesday when I bought CoD: AW and everything went smoothly. I went home that night and tried to sign into My Best Buy to make sure it would be attached to the email I used. I couldn't remember my password for that email so I did the forgot password button to have a new thing sent to my email. I got a response stating that there was a problem because that email isn't set up for My Best Buy.

I know it has to be because I recieve emails all the time from them with the My Best Buy header on the emails. I know my GCU is attached to this email because I got the coupons this morning on that email.

So is there a phone number that I can call that I can talk to a person or even go into store and have someone fix the problem for me? The automated line does nothing for this problem at least from what I can tell.

Any help would be awesome.

If anyone could help with this problem It would be greatly appreciated.

I signed up for GCU on Tuesday when I bought CoD: AW and everything went smoothly. I went home that night and tried to sign into My Best Buy to make sure it would be attached to the email I used. I couldn't remember my password for that email so I did the forgot password button to have a new thing sent to my email. I got a response stating that there was a problem because that email isn't set up for My Best Buy.

I know it has to be because I recieve emails all the time from them with the My Best Buy header on the emails. I know my GCU is attached to this email because I got the coupons this morning on that email.

So is there a phone number that I can call that I can talk to a person or even go into store and have someone fix the problem for me? The automated line does nothing for this problem at least from what I can tell.

Any help would be awesome.
Make a best buy forum account and create a new thread here. The mods on there should be able to help you.

Well SIM card success gamer club cards was out of stock in electronics. Found random 3 cards at check out while waiting to ore order unity had to go back and get SIM cards lol

Do they ever? :twoguns:
While that seems to be the case most of the time. When I picked up my COD preorder, they actually asked me if I would want to buy Unlocked for $30. I asked if it would stack with my current Sub just to see the response, and he told me yes. Wasn't even planning on extending yet, but I did.

Any one else having trouble with points not pending on your MyBB account for COD? I'm talking base points not the bonus. I picked up my preorder, bought an extra copy, and the GCU sub Sunday night. And it's not even showing on my Purchase History. I also had AC Unity preordered and it shipped yesterday and the points for that have already posted. I'm really annoyed by it, I normally never have any issues with BB. And this purchase will put me over for Elite.

Thanks for this.  I signed up while I was getting something in addition to my game.  

I was very torn because I despise shopping at BB (especially this location).  They have been informed of an incorrect price and they couldn't get it corrected over a 6 week period.  BB is on my "I shop there only if the price is the absolute best or I can't get it anywhere else" list.  Walmart is on that same list... :wall:

UPDATE:  I got a call from the manager within 30 minutes of me submitting my feedback.  They ended up offering to refund me for the mis-priced item.  It cost them about $60 for that.  I will shop there again, but they still have a long way to go to earn back my trust.  

Last edited by a moderator:
If I preorder Halo collection and pick it up Tuesday, can I get the GCU? Does the 20% work on the preorder itself? Would I also receive the $10 in points and bonuses (book and in game code)? 

[quote name="IamPro" post="12222909" timestamp="1415504205"]If I preorder Halo collection and pick it up Tuesday, can I get the GCU? Does the 20% work on the preorder itself? Would I also receive the $10 in points and bonuses (book and in game code)? [/quote]
Yes, yes, yes

So how is the discount supposed to look on their computer as they're doing this?  I've only made two prior purchases and I was able to watch the 20% go off it each time and the price changed.  

This last time the price of the actual game showed as the "discounted" price immediately before my info was even entered and the only discount was labeled as a $10 off "VID GM BNDL" directly below the game (on their website the game was listed at 49.99 but in the store was listed as 35.99 and then on the receipt the top price from the start was 39.99 so no clue what it was actually supposed to be). Then under the "Gamer Unlock discount" there was nothing at all just 0.00.

Since the game I was getting was technically a bundle (Metro Redux) and the discount was ringing up as "VID GM BNDL"everybody was confused.  The cashiers had no clue so brought a manager over and he ended up taking the 20% off the 39.99 price so I got it for 31.99.

So is it all just labeled very unintuitively on their computer/receipt?  Or was something screwed up?  Will be good to know for next time...  Might it had have something to do with me giving them my old "elite plus" membership card instead of just my phone number like usual?  The 10% extra on my trade in's also didn't seem to register and is nowhere on the receipt.

I was very torn because I despise shopping at BB (especially this location)...BB is on my "I shop there only if the price is the absolute best or I can't get it anywhere else" list. Walmart is on that same list... :wall:
That's why the Internet exists. And unlike WM, Beet Buy actually has deals on their site regularly.

So odd question that i didn't see answered in the FAQ:

If Best Buy's website lists a game on sale/cheaper than what I'm seeing in-store, does price-matching the website prevent me from getting the GCU discount?

So odd question that i didn't see answered in the FAQ:

If Best Buy's website lists a game on sale/cheaper than what I'm seeing in-store, does price-matching the website prevent me from getting the GCU discount?
Yes, but you could just ask them to adjust it so that the 20% off is included.

Q: Do system bundles like the Sunset Overdrive and Call of Duty Advanced Warfare Xbox One bundles work with the $30 Gamers Club Unlocked promotion?
A: Yes. You can get the $30 promotional price for GCU, but there is no discount on the system.
Has anyone actually done this? I'm planning to trade my 360 tomorrow for the Unity bundle & rather save the msrp on a full game for black Friday..

This evening I bought two copies of Smash Bros for 3DS because of the BOGO 50% off, one for me one for my friend. I also bought the GCU in this transaction. The GCU registered as $30. My question is: should I have automatically received 20% off the purchase of the games? I thought I heard Shipwreck say the discount would be applied on the game used to make the GCU deal. If so what is the best remedy to this mistake? Thanks

This evening I bought two copies of Smash Bros for 3DS because of the BOGO 50% off, one for me one for my friend. I also bought the GCU in this transaction. The GCU registered as $30. My question is: should I have automatically received 20% off the purchase of the games? I thought I heard Shipwreck say the discount would be applied on the game used to make the GCU deal. If so what is the best remedy to this mistake? Thanks
Q: How long does it take for my account to be active so I can get all my benefits?

A: It can take up to 24 hours for this to fully process. Again, you’ll get the 20% off of new games (or 10% on preowned games) on that first transaction but the system won’t recognize your membership right away. So your 10% bonus on game trade-ins and any following purchases won’t see the discount right away. Up to 24 hours on this to process.

Yeah, you should had received 20% off your first transaction. Try going back to get it price adjusted.

Q: How long does it take for my account to be active so I can get all my benefits?

A: It can take up to 24 hours for this to fully process. Again, you’ll get the 20% off of new games (or 10% on preowned games) on that first transaction but the system won’t recognize your membership right away. So your 10% bonus on game trade-ins and any following purchases won’t see the discount right away. Up to 24 hours on this to process.

Yeah, you should had received 20% off your first transaction. Try going back to get it price adjusted.
Thanks, I was looking for that wording.

Excellent FAQ! Answered some of my questions about this without me needing to ask.

So, from the sound of it, when I go to the store to pick up my online pre-order of the Super Smash Bros Bundle, I would need to return and immediately re-buy the bundle to get the deal on the GCU membership. Sounds simple enough.

My question is, if my friend is going with me to pick up his copy of the same bundle, is it possible that they would let him return the game and immediately let me buy it with my GCU membership? So basically, he grabs his copy, returns it, then I grab my copy and return it, then buy both copies in one transaction to get the GCU membership and the 20% off on both bundles. It sounds sort of like something they wouldn't want people doing, since obviously they would prefer he buys his own GCU membership, but has anyone had any luck doing anything like this?

Thanks in advance to any anyone who can help me with this!

Excellent FAQ! Answered some of my questions about this without me needing to ask.

So, from the sound of it, when I go to the store to pick up my online pre-order of the Super Smash Bros Bundle, I would need to return and immediately re-buy the bundle to get the deal on the GCU membership. Sounds simple enough.
This is what I am hoping for as well when I pick up my Far Cry pre-order on Tuesday.

My question is, if my friend is going with me to pick up his copy of the same bundle, is it possible that they would let him return the game and immediately let me buy it with my GCU membership? So basically, he grabs his copy, returns it, then I grab my copy and return it, then buy both copies in one transaction to get the GCU membership and the 20% off on both bundles. It sounds sort of like something they wouldn't want people doing, since obviously they would prefer he buys his own GCU membership, but has anyone had any luck doing anything like this?

Thanks in advance to any anyone who can help me with this!

Just make sure you purchase everything on the same transaction as the sign up for unlocked. Anything after that first transaction will require you to wait 24 hours before the 20% off becomes fully active.

Thanks for the responses. Yeah, I figured everything would be fine if I made sure the do everything in one transaction. I was really more wondering if I was going to have to fight with the employees to let me buy my friend's pre-order copy directly after he returns it. It just seemed like something they would frown upon. I suppose I don't care much personally. My friend can argue with them if it comes to that if he really wants the 20% off without getting GCU himself. Thanks again!

I had spent 30 for GCU couple weeks ago.  Now they still have this sale last week.  When asked whether my GCU will stack, they said no, it will just re-start anew.  I got this from 5 employees at this location and even an employee called their customer support person over phone.  It's disappointing that no where in the terms states how it stacks or starts.  I am afraid to buy $30 again and find it just renews it and not stack.  Also contacting Best Buy support, goes to some third world country that doesn't understand the answer, or just keep moving me all around to My Best Buy, around to Gamer's Club, etc.   :(

To make things kind of worse, I can look at My Best Buy, it says Gamers Club Unlocked, but no date is shown how long.

Full success at the store yesterday.  And thank OP so much, without the clear instructions I wouldn't have been successful.  The guy at customer service didn't really understand what GCU was, and when I mentioned a half off promotion, he thought it was for the game that I was returning and re-purchasing.  It wasn't until I asked him to add the specific SKU to the transaction that we made any progress, and even then I had to explain it was half off the membership and not the game.  

So I ended up saving $8 on the fantasy life that I returned and re-purchased, and then the standard 20% on the far cry pre-order, so I'm more than half way towards the GCU paying for itself, and I still have the 2 years of membership on it.  Not to mention I will have 2 games to trade in before the 50% bonus expires next week.

Hi is that offer still valid for today? I read through the thread and all of the FAQ but didn't see an expiration date on the offer as to still sign up. Thanks. 

Hi is that offer still valid for today? I read through the thread and all of the FAQ but didn't see an expiration date on the offer as to still sign up. Thanks.
Promotion expires 11/22. Stated on the 1st post.

Thanks for FAQ. Gonna pre-order GTA 5 today and pick it up tuesday with GCU

bread's done
Back