Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked FAQ

[quote name="Enuf" post="12244405" timestamp="1416171343"]the truly sad part is his question is answered in the 1st sentence(19 words) of the OP and per his quote "all of the FAQ".[/quote]
The 1st post faq says it expires 11/16, but the BB I just left from says 11/22.

If you placed a preorder online (either to be shipped to your home or for in store pickup) and want to take advantage of this offer you would need to fulfil your preorder at the store and then immediately do a return/rebuy transaction.  You would rebuy the game and GCU membership, getting 20% off the game and the GCU membership for $30.

Ok I get this but what has me confused is if I have to return/rebuy (GTA V that I preordered online) that has a $10 certificate preorder bonus, what would happen to the $10 certificate?

The 1st post faq says it expires 11/16, but the BB I just left from says 11/22.
OP says 11/22
This thread is being created to address questions regarding the gamers club unlocked $30 promotion going on right now (Expires 11/22). I have also been working with dc delta90 to create this FAQ, which should help clear up some confusion relating to the promotion.

It`s also in th weekly ad which always ends on Sat which would also be 11/22.

Ok I get this but what has me confused is if I have to return/rebuy (GTA V that I preordered online) that has a $10 certificate preorder bonus, what would happen to the $10 certificate?[/font][/color][/background]
You`d get the $10 cert in 15-20 days as usual, there`s 2 simple requirements to get the $10 cert 1- Pre-order 2- Purchase by.
The moment you p/u your in-store p/u #1 is complete and all you need to do is make the final purchase no later than the sat of release week. An immediate return/rebuy meets that requirement as long as it`s done no later than Sat of release week.

I did this today.  Word of caution: make sure the game isn't on clearance before you check out.  I had to go through 3 games before I found one that wasn't on clearance even though no case was marked.  Ended up getting The Evil Within because it was pretty new.

I have a question that wasn't answered in the OP or anywhere else (I believe)

I bought GCU, NBA 2K15, FIFA 15, The Evil Within, NHL 15, and Super Smash Bros 3DS on 11/1. I waited a long time and finally got my rewards points for it today. The subtotal of my purchase was $253.XX, so I was expecting 506 points, since GCU members get their points doubled on games. I did not, I got 253 points.. 

Am I wrong in thinking I should of gotten double points on the transaction I bought GCU with? Or should I contact someone? I also didn't get double points on the copy of Sunset Overdrive I picked up the day after, but can look past that since i got the $10 reward cert for it. 

I tried $5 deposit  GTA5 in-store  for the pre-ordering $10 reward certificate but the system wouldn't allow since it's past 9pm. 

Q&A from the OP "If you placed a preorder online (either to be shipped to your home or for in store pickup) and want to take advantage of this offer you would need to fulfil your preorder at the store and then immediately do a return/rebuy transaction.  You would rebuy the game and GCU membership, getting 20% off the game and the GCU membership for $30."

​Just to be sure. I can buy a 2nd GTA5 in-store on 11/18 and still get the $30 GCU along with the $10 reward cert even if I return the 1st GTA5 online in-store pickup? Does the return have to be immediately or can I return it whenever within the return period. TIV

I tried $5 deposit GTA5 in-store for the pre-ordering $10 reward certificate but the system wouldn't allow since it's past 9pm.

Q&A from the OP "If you placed a preorder online (either to be shipped to your home or for in store pickup) and want to take advantage of this offer you would need to fulfil your preorder at the store and then immediately do a return/rebuy transaction. You would rebuy the game and GCU membership, getting 20% off the game and the GCU membership for $30."

​Just to be sure. I can buy a 2nd GTA5 in-store on 11/18 and still get the $30 GCU along with the $10 reward cert even if I return the 1st GTA5 online in-store pickup? Does the return have to be immediately or can I return it whenever within the return period. TIV
If you wanted the $30 GCU along with the $10 reward cert. for pre-ordering. It can only be done with an in-store $5 pre-order deposit. You would pay off your pre-order on launch day and buy the $30 GCU on the same transaction. This does not work with online pre-orders since you pay in full immediately, returning the game will just void the $10 pre-order bonus.

If you just want the $30 GCU, it will work by returning, and re-buying the game in store.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you wanted the $30 GCU along with the $10 reward cert. for pre-ordering. It can only be done with an in-store $5 pre-order deposit. You would pay off your pre-order on launch day and buy the $30 GCU on the same transaction. This does not work with online pre-orders since you pay in full immediately, returning the game will just void the $10 pre-order bonus.

If you just want the $30 GCU, it will work by returning, and re-buying the game in store.

I preorder COD online with store pick up and was able to get Unlocked for $30. They actually asked me if I'd be interested while checking out.

[attachment=10096:image.jpg]

I preorder COD online with store pick up and was able to get Unlocked for $30. They actually asked me if I'd be interested while checking out.

image.jpg
Your order actually shows as an in store order since it list the location of your best buy. Maybe they cancelled your online pick up instead of doing a return and then rebuy. CoD also might have worked since BB's system views all day zero editions as preorders plus it was launched a day early for that version.

I will ask Dc Delta about this but the in store preorder method I described earlier is the best option for the 2 promos to stack.

First off....this thread has been amazing and thanks for putting it together with the faq in post 1.    Just went out this morning and picked up GTA V and Gameclub membership... The 20% didnt come off at first, but was quickly fixed by someone who knew what was up.

I did have a few quick questions about trade-in's.      Is the 50% bonus trade-in value just a weekly special from the weekly ad?     Also,  if so, then how often do they have this type of trade-in bonus offer....it seems like I see it alot in the weekly ad.

And finally, Where exactly do you take the games to trade them in... Customer Service?

Thanks again

They do the 50% or 100% bonus trade-in offers fairly often, it's not a normal thing.   You do get 10% extra as a GCU member on all trade -in's (which does stack, aka 50% bonus is actually 60% bonus for GCU).

Sometimes we'll see a 2 month lapse in the bonus promo's but they're fairly common.   Though they mainly don't increase trade-in prices much compared to what you'd get normally.   Mostly just for the older games that don't get adjusted down.

For trade-in's take them to CS.   

I would love to do the trade in promotion more often but I live 2 hours from a BB so Amazon makes more sense.  When I do make it to one, the GCU is good enough for new games for me.

First off....this thread has been amazing and thanks for putting it together with the faq in post 1. Just went out this morning and picked up GTA V and Gameclub membership... The 20% didnt come off at first, but was quickly fixed by someone who knew what was up.

I did have a few quick questions about trade-in's. Is the 50% bonus trade-in value just a weekly special from the weekly ad? Also, if so, then how often do they have this type of trade-in bonus offer....it seems like I see it alot in the weekly ad.

And finally, Where exactly do you take the games to trade them in... Customer Service?

Thanks again
CAG dc delta90 (He works for Best Buy), did most of the work for the FAQ. You can thank him through PM. :)

The 50% trade in is usually a weekly special from the weekly ad, it doesn't happen every month though. We are lucky to have it twice this month. Trade ins can be done at Customer Service.

GCU members will always get an extra 10% trade in bonus including special bonus events like the current 50%. Some CAGs will have trouble getting the extra 10% due to employees not filling in the field that ask for your phone number. Always make sure they have your phone number attached to the trade in. If they start typing your driver's license/ID info, they have already went past the box asking for your phone number.

Anybody having problem getting their GCU to work in store when buying new and used games? I got it around when CoD:AW release. That work with no problem. Few days later I went to buy Bayonetta 2 but 20% didn't come off. She asked if I'm sure I have GCU and told her yes. I did a trade-in the same day and show her the paper with the 10% bonus for being a GCU. She called manager over and talked about 5 minutes. Manager manually keyed in something to take 20% and told me a BS that it might take 3-5 days to get it "activated". Sure, whatever. I didn't fell like talking to a wall and left.

Now this Monday I decided to buy some used games and to use the B2G1 welcoming coupon. Guess what? Register wouldn't accept it. The guy ringing me up called manager and this time they took 20 minutes because they were calling someone about the coupon. Finally they manually did an override by ringing the third game a penny as the "free" game. But the problem didn't stop there. I didn't get my 10% off used game. Instead of calling manager again he override the price to reflect the 10% off.

I don't want to keep having this problem every time I buy games in store. Online works fine so is it a problem at the register? I hope they fix the issue soon.

Well, that seriously worked like a charm. I was expecting to get the runaround for pre ordering online and then returning and rebuying but it could not have been easier. Now on to far cry 4.

Anyone have any idea what the 10% off digital content coupon that came in the welcome package can be used for?  Can I purchase the Destiny expansion with it or MS, PSN, Wii point cards?

so I got the $30 buck gamers club unlocked when I got the 3ds buy one get 1 50% off, its been 3 days now and I still am not getting the 20% off discount on my online orders, I called the customer service and they told me is takes 15 days to active...

I guess what im asking is, is it normal to have to wait 15 days for a first time purchase? normally I wouldn't care but black Friday is coming up and I may not be able to use it on my in store purchases

so I got the $30 buck gamers club unlocked when I got the 3ds buy one get 1 50% off, its been 3 days now and I still am not getting the 20% off discount on my online orders, I called the customer service and they told me is takes 15 days to active...

I guess what im asking is, is it normal to have to wait 15 days for a first time purchase? normally I wouldn't care but black Friday is coming up and I may not be able to use it on my in store purchases
Nope, mine started within a week.

it can take 2-3 days but when done over the weekend it can take a few extra days. I am assuming this is your first GCU membership correct? if so that why since new memberships take a few days to activate completely which is why when the membership is full price they always recommended any games purchased that day to be done in same transaction. Again if you renew thought your membership is will be activated within minutes, the delay is only for new accounts as even mentioned by the best buy mods in several threads.

Anyone have any idea what the 10% off digital content coupon that came in the welcome package can be used for? Can I purchase the Destiny expansion with it or MS, PSN, Wii point cards?
It is for purchasing digital content from the pre-order kiosk that is under $14.99.

it can take 2-3 days but when done over the weekend it can take a few extra days. I am assuming this is your first GCU membership correct? if so that why since new memberships take a few days to activate completely which is why when the membership is full price they always recommended any games purchased that day to be done in same transaction. Again if you renew thought your membership is will be activated within minutes, the delay is only for new accounts as even mentioned by the best buy mods in several threads.
yup its my first purchase, so all I can do is hope it's ready for use on black Friday if not, I can always ask them to check my account to show them I do have it and get the manger to add the discount just hope it doesn't come to that other wise best buy workers and BF shoppers are going to get mad...

OP says 11/22
This thread is being created to address questions regarding the gamers club unlocked $30 promotion going on right now (Expires 11/22). I have also been working with dc delta90 to create this FAQ, which should help clear up some confusion relating to the promotion.

It`s also in th weekly ad which always ends on Sat which would also be 11/22.

You`d get the $10 cert in 15-20 days as usual, there`s 2 simple requirements to get the $10 cert 1- Pre-order 2- Purchase by.
The moment you p/u your in-store p/u #1 is complete and all you need to do is make the final purchase no later than the sat of release week. An immediate return/rebuy meets that requirement as long as it`s done no later than Sat of release week.
Thanks!!Worked perfect!Went in and asked for the return rebuy and did it no problem.

Read the FAQ but basically this right,I can get the 20% off smash bros and still get the GCU for 30 dollars.

Just added 2 years to my already existing GCU. I've had it since it was rolled out. I'm going back tomorrow to add 2 more years. I read in the FAQ that you shouldn't do it in back to back transactions. Is what I'm doing going to work ok?

Just added 2 years to my already existing GCU. I've had it since it was rolled out. I'm going back tomorrow to add 2 more years. I read in the FAQ that you shouldn't do it in back to back transactions. Is what I'm doing going to work ok?
If something goes wrong, I'm sure the Best Buy forum mods will be able to help you out.

I bought Smash Bros, and paid the $30 for GCU. It didn't automatically do the 20% off, so a manager had to do an override. They didn't scan the part of the card under the "Remove me" sticker.

Did they mess up my activation?

Did anyone confirm what happens if you return the $40 game you buy to get he GCU deal? I decided to return the game I bought but I don't want to lose my $30 GCU renewal. How does this work?

My transaction didn't go as smoothly. Had to inform my 20% off when i was buying DA:inquisition. My GCU wasn't added to my account so I'll have to go to CS to fix it. (Bought my game and GCU Tuesday 11/18).

There`s TWO different GCU subscription cards

The normal one that we`ve been used to

And

The new "Gift-giving" card that allows a person to buy the card for someone then they go in-store later to activate GCU. The cards are clearly stated as to which one is which. If there`s MORE THAN ONE BARCODE it`s the gift givers cards which WON`T activate without a 2nd transaction.

Quick question. How do I know if the gamer unlocked is linked to my best buy account? I signed in but I don't see anywhere that states I'm currently a gamers unlocked club.

It looks active to me. Has anyone tried it Sunday or today?
Super late to this deal I know, but after seeing so many CAGs drink the Kool-Aid I decided to take a sip myself. I went in store today and when I was checking out at the register it appears this deal has in fact ended. However I was able to get a manager (after waiting around for 10 mins while they tried to figure out what to do) to price match the deal against their website because it is still showing up online. I would recommend anyone that hasn't done this yet and wants to do it that they go ASAP while the deal is still showing online. I am guessing at some point they will pull it down. Might help if you have the deal showing on your phone or do a printout of the website page though they should be able to pull it up in store as well.

Make sure when you buy this they actually activate it on your account, the cards they have hanging up around the store can be purchased and given as a gift so by default when the Cashier rings it up it just activates the card which can be later redeemed by anyone to create/renew a GCU membership.

does it work on consoles?
No.

Quick question. How do I know if the gamer unlocked is linked to my best buy account? I signed in but I don't see anywhere that states I'm currently a gamers unlocked club.
Normally you would see it within the reward section via "overview". Best Buy currently removed that status feature for Black Friday. It will return later next month but you can tell by just adding a game into your cart. If you're unlocked, the game will be discounted by 20% off automatically.

No.

Normally you would see it within the reward section via "overview". Best Buy currently removed that status feature for Black Friday. It will return later next month but you can tell by just adding a game into your cart. If you're unlocked, the game will be discounted by 20% off automatically.
Thanks just checked it and it shows up.

Does the 10% digital gaming coupon that comes with getting a gamer club unlocked membership work on psn or xbox live gift cards sold in stores?

I just pre-ordered MKX, and witcher 3 at BB w/ GCU, each game came out to be 47.99. and i'm a rewards member...

--

the cashier said that i get the 10$ rewards off when i come back and actually pick up the game.

^^

What do i do here? If everything's golden, which it's not...i should have to flat out pay 37.99 period. not letting BB hold onto my 10$ like this, but i'm still worried if what the cashier even told me was accurate.

bread's done
Back