Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked Permanent Price Drop - $30

litepink

CAGiversary!
Feedback
37 (100%)

$30 Gamers Club Unlocked

• Save 20% on new video games, receive 10% bonus trade-in credit on games, plus other benefits. Terms and conditions apply. In-store activation required.
Was $99.99, now $30 for two years. Begins March 8th:
https://corporate.bestbuy.com/just-30-the-new-price-to-join-my-best-buys-gamers-club-unlocked/

Membership benefits:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/regularcatpcmcat338600050004/gamers-club/pcmcat338600050004.c?id=pcmcat338600050004

20% off new games, 10% off pre-owned, 10% extra trade-in credit, B2G1 Free Coupon and 50% off strategy guide coupon in Welcome Packet/email. Discount not applicable for consoles or accessories, but works on interactive gaming figures like amiibo, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders.

FAQ

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, a whole week late.

Plus, there's a thing called a port strike.
Games aren't affected by the port strike as they're light enough to be air delivered & most disks are pressed in Mexico.

BB just doesn't carry anything that isn't a AAA release anymore. I still have only seen Diablo 3 UEE once in a BB store since launch.

Gotta admit, that was great. What isn't so great about that is I have a prepaid phone and SIM card kit that's collecting dust at home. I suppose I'll just leave it around since I only paid $15 for the two.
That's why I got a phone that could be used as a backup, which has come in handy twice already. Once when I had to send in my S5 for service and a month ago when my fiance's iPhone's battery took a dump and it took a week to get a replacement.

That's why I got a phone that could be used as a backup, which has come in handy twice already. Once when I had to send in my S5 for service and a month ago when my fiance's iPhone's battery took a dump and it took a week to get a replacement.
I sold mine on EBay & got a negative from the buyer b/c I reported him as a non-paying buyer.

Games aren't affected by the port strike as they're light enough to be air delivered & most disks are pressed in Mexico.

BB just doesn't carry anything that isn't a AAA release anymore. I still have only seen Diablo 3 UEE once in a BB store since launch.
That's super weird that your store isn't carrying Diablo 3 UEE. That's definitely a AAA release, my store almost always has copies for every platform.

Are the used games prices the same in-store as they are online? There're all marked $49.99 at the store

Best Buy is officially Circuit City 2.0.

I'm in Milwaukee, WI. The local suburb here - Fox Point store #654 is refusing me GCU membership. I paid $30 for it back in December for 2 years. I've been getting 20% off all new games on the website and select stores (all except #654). On Sunday the customer service employee as well as the manager outright refused my membership, telling me I didn't have it and even if I did it was for day one new releases only. I showed him the website and he acted like I was scamming them. He insisted that any deals I make with corporate via the website don't involve his store. I asked for the manager's name and ghe refused to give it to me. Wasn't wearing a nametag either.

I complained on the corporate forums, and their response is they don't know why it doesn't work there. They seem to think that because it works on their website and a few stores, that's good enough. When I posted on their Facebook page, a rep said that the 20% off is a new discount as of March 8th, and has not been this way all along. Total craziness.

I think this is the beginning of the end for Best Buy. Just like I read Target is cutting thousands of jobs....something just is off to me. Years ago when Game Crazy went under they cut their MVP membership to 5 dollars for a last desperation cash grab before announcing the end. I think their card was always 20 dollars. Now Best buy is cutting it's gamers card 75% permanently too. Does this mean best buy is on the ropes? Or maybe their gaming department is...
Best Buy just reported better than expected profit for the last quarter. IIRC the profit was even higher than the previous year. Target is cutting jobs, but a lot of them are supposed to be at their corporate offices.

Hopefully they don't make changes to the program to reflect the new reduced cost. I'm pretty sure this place would explode with hatred if they changed it to not work with sale prices or something silly.
That is what I am afraid of, they reduced the price and by their logic they can reduce the benefits to match the price

I mean it will pay for itself in 3 games, who wouldn't do that? It's best buy losing money

Are they able to change the benefits for people who already purchased it though? If so, wouldn't they at least have to give us the option of a total refund?

If I were Best Buy and wanted to switch to 10% off, I would "grandfather" the current club members and allow them to keep getting 20% until their membership needs to be renewed.  The "new and improved" model would be at a standard $30 and have an advertised price of 10% off.

It doesn't make too much sense to switch the retail price to $30 and THEN change it to 10%...unless they want to enrage everybody.  I have a little bit higher expectations for Best Buy.

If the report was for real and the user really was a NPB, you can have that feedback removed, you know.
He paid after I submitted the no pay, got pissy about it saying if I was that poor I shouldn't sell on EBay, then submitted a negative saying I lied about the listing & sent him an open item missing parts. I tried to find the spot for the appeal but didn't find the right one since it had been years since I sold anything on EBay (usually use Amazon but individuals can't sell phones there.)

That's super weird that your store isn't carrying Diablo 3 UEE. That's definitely a AAA release, my store almost always has copies for every platform.
It's not just one store, it's all the ones in STL.

Edit: just searched again an no locations in stock within 50 miles of my zip code. That covers about 8 locations I believe.

That's crazy, do your stores have small game sections? My local BBY doesn't have a huge selection of games, but it's decent. They carry just about every major release and a lot of the smaller titles too. Really the only section severely lacking is the Vita section, but what store actually carries Vita games aside from Gamestop anymore.

That's crazy, do your stores have small game sections? My local BBY doesn't have a huge selection of games, but it's decent. They carry just about every major release and a lot of the smaller titles too. Really the only section severely lacking is the Vita section, but what store actually carries Vita games aside from Gamestop anymore.
1/2 the selection of GS on new gen, 1/3 on old gen. 1/8 of the selection on used games.

Also I just checked again & no stores within 50 miles of STL have it.

And to think this was $120 at one point. I wonder what all of the suckers who subbed until 2050 gonna do when BB inevitably ends this in a few years...

this mostly kills gamefly for anyone now. I mean   48 bucks for 60 buck games.... Im pretty sure you could resell the games when your done for  40 to 45 to those who dont have this program.   3 buck lost for playing a game for a month.

I was on the board to stay with gamefly or not, but now i dont see any reason to.

I got  34 buck game  played it for  50 days was able to sell it for  30  (after all ebay crap)   that is 4 bucks (it would cost me almost 16 min to rent it on gamefly)

Are the used games prices the same in-store as they are online? There're all marked $49.99 at the store
Just like any other store, never trust the price tag, especially on volatiley priced merchandice like used games. Most of the time, the used games will ring up for the same as the online prices.

1/2 the selection of GS on new gen, 1/3 on old gen. 1/8 of the selection on used games.

Also I just checked again & no stores within 50 miles of STL have it.
That just means those stores have fewer than 3 copies each, not necessarily that they don't have any.

Yes, the in-store selection of used games pales in comparison to GS, but most of the time I think the new game selection is about the same, except you never get gutted games at BB, and if you want to pick up a new release on release day, you aren't told that you can't because you didn't preorder it.

If they can expand the program by making it towards Movies 20% off that would be awesome...but this is best buy...where I have to pay them nearly $4000 to remain top tier class even though I am treated like a second class citizen in the store.  Yeah I can see them zapping that 20% and dropping it down to 15 or 10...  and even killing that 10 dollar pre-order bonus...because "We've spoken, and they have listen..."

If they can expand the program by making it towards Movies 20% off that would be awesome...but this is best buy...where I have to pay them nearly $4000 to remain top tier class even though I am treated like a second class citizen in the store. Yeah I can see them zapping that 20% and dropping it down to 15 or 10... and even killing that 10 dollar pre-order bonus...because "We've spoken, and they have listen..."
I remember when I was Silver for a year, then they gave it to me for 2 more years even though I didn't spend nearly enough. Man the perks were such an insult. Joke doesn't even describe the lack of value.

I get what you're saying about movies but really people shouldn't be buying physical media anymore. It's such a waste of money.

I hated the idea of having to pay Best Buy for discounts and I refuse to change that even if the cost is less now. I still don't buy into it nor do I want to feel as though I'm tied into buying games from one place to justify the membership, which is exactly what BB hoped for launching this, and it's obviously an amazing failure since they can't get enough people on board at any price.

I still buy from BB, but it wouldn't phase me in the least if they finally fell apart for good. They're arrogant, and their customer service at the corporate level has gotten worse over the last couple years.

Yeah BB's rewards program was pretty good back in the day but now it's a joke. The only way I could reach their higher tier is to let a relative borrow my account so I can get the points. Midnight launches and private events were so worth it, now it's a joke. They really need to revamp the midnight launches to make it worth going for a midnight release. The 2004 dvd release of the SW OT was pretty big...they had contests, free pizza and drinks , allowed you to play Battlefront 1 in a pretty cool out doors set up and so on. Now they don't do shit except give you shitty posters and stickers.

As for buying discs, yes they will still be around for a long while. My biggest worry is that one day those digital online copies WILL be removed. It will happen one day.

I remember when I was Silver for a year, then they gave it to me for 2 more years even though I didn't spend nearly enough. Man the perks were such an insult. Joke doesn't even describe the lack of value.

I get what you're saying about movies but really people shouldn't be buying physical media anymore. It's such a waste of money.

I hated the idea of having to pay Best Buy for discounts and I refuse to change that even if the cost is less now. I still don't buy into it nor do I want to feel as though I'm tied into buying games from one place to justify the membership, which is exactly what BB hoped for launching this, and it's obviously an amazing failure since they can't get enough people on board at any price.

I still buy from BB, but it wouldn't phase me in the least if they finally fell apart for good. They're arrogant, and their customer service at the corporate level has gotten worse over the last couple years.

Wow the Best Buy hate is strong in this post. It's a loss leader, Best Buy expects to lose money on gamers club, but get asses in the seats. The more you come into the stores, the more they will make.

I won't be surprised if they changed the 20% off new games to 20% used games and/or 20% off MSRP (not sales) to offset the new 2 year membership price.

Then again, Best Buy is the only B&M store that has decent sales annually. Gamestop is a joke. Target and Walmart has great to not-so-great sales between Black Friday and Christmas.

Only problem I have with them is when they prohibit UPS from doing Will Calls or Drop offs to The UPS store. I have to be there or the package will be dropped off there in the open in front of my place.

Buying physical media is a waste of money? I've always felt that buying digital was a waste and only do so when it's the only option available.

Actually reward zone was a paid program for a period of time.
I remember that! It was $9.99 but you got a $5 certificate after $125 instead of $250. Therefore, the program was actually worse for those who spent over $625 in a year at Best Buy. At $500 you would be breaking even when comparing the paid Reward Zone versus the current free membership. Gamers Club point bonus is an extra variable, and if I recall the paid Reward Zone and Gamers Club never coexisted.

I can't help but feel this is the beginning of the end for Gamers Club as we know it. 20% off games and accessories is just not sustainable at that price point. And Best Buy has a history of just changing up promos with very little notice.

Movies will never go fully digital. I use to be digital, but somedays wanna watch a movie yhat maybe not be on Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon video and I'm stuck channel surfing. Ever since rental video stores went outta business, buying more movies than games, when on sale, particularly Black Friday. CAG ha made me a movie hoarder now :( :p

Back to GCU. I think BB will fully move there gaming section online. My BB gaming section has really been subsidized over the years. Already benefittef froM GCU's recently buying a few games 20% off. If I keep shopping BB, will discontinue Amazon Prime then. Think BB found there niche for making some money on games now and pretty much will kill Walmart, Target's, K-marts, Sears and EB Games gaming section.

I can't help but feel this is the beginning of the end for Gamers Club as we know it. 20% off games and accessories is just not sustainable at that price point. And Best Buy has a history of just changing up promos with very little notice.
Its not accessories. Its 20% off games and Infinity/Skylanders/Amiibo figures

I really wonder if they will keep the 20% off new games...it just doesn't seem profitable for them at this point.
It might be. Even though it's cut $12 from revenue on new games I buy there, I've gone from mostly buying from GameStop over the years to exclusively buying from Best Buy now. Before getting GCU last May, I think I had bought only one game from there in the past 5 years (and that was only because I had a gift card). Now, in the 10 months since I got GCU, I've probably bought 15 or so games from Best Buy as a result.

Depending on the profit margins, getting people to make Best Buy their primary (or sole) gaming outlet could be worth that discount, especially when you talk about the masses who will likely buy a lot of other gaming stuff (controllers, consoles, headsets, etc.) and other electronics there as a result.

That just means those stores have fewer than 3 copies each, not necessarily that they don't have any.

Yes, the in-store selection of used games pales in comparison to GS, but most of the time I think the new game selection is about the same, except you never get gutted games at BB, and if you want to pick up a new release on release day, you aren't told that you can't because you didn't preorder it.
Fenton, South County, and Fairview Heights all don't have any copies of it. Those are the 3 stores I shop at regularly because they are near my apartment or near where I work. I also haven't seen it at Chesterfield or Crestwood when I've been there with friends recently. That leaves St. Peters, St. Charles Rock Road, and Brentwood which I don't go into. That's the 8 stores in STL. It also wasn't in Carbondale, IL when I was there on Sunday with my cousin when I bought Sleeping Dogs, so that's 9.

In August/Sept. I just assumed it was because of sales b/c all of the other store chains in STL were sold out also. But by October everyone but BB had it in stock and have always had it in stock. This is an Activision game for crying out loud.

Well you got to keep in mind not only does Bestbuy have a profit margin, they also have a $30 buffer. Bestbuy also has its own credit card.

I used to think Bestbuy was garbage. After GCU launched, I've stopped shopping at a lot of places and only bought from Bestbuy. This isn't just games, but also hardware and accessories. With all the money spent, I became an elite member. I used to shop frequently at Amazon but those days are pretty much over.

He paid after I submitted the no pay, got pissy about it saying if I was that poor I shouldn't sell on EBay, then submitted a negative saying I lied about the listing & sent him an open item missing parts. I tried to find the spot for the appeal but didn't find the right one since it had been years since I sold anything on EBay (usually use Amazon but individuals can't sell phones there.)
What it sounds like to me is retaliation FB. IIRC that is against the ToS. You should call support, they're usually pretty good about helping you out. If all communication was through eBay msgs, they will see it on their end.

Before gamers club I spent 90 percent of my gaming dollars at Amazon. Best Buy was only an option those rare times they had it cheaper. Since gamers club, I haven't bought a game at any other store other than best buy unless they no longer carried it. As a result, I've been buying many other things there and my amazon purchases have seriously declined.

My thoughts on the program so far is Meh.

Pros:

Get discount on games new games I probably wouldn't order new.

Reward certificates that basically act as another discount.

Extra points towards game related purchases, and sometimes X3 point reward codes towards regular non-game stuff.

Get discounts on games that have a chance of going up in prices elsewhere if I sit on getting them...

Cons:

Their stock is awful, especially depending on the games you play.  Popular stuff is more likely to actual substantial discounts tend to be popular stuff, while something like Project Diva F 2nd, niche Vita games, etc are going to get cleaned out and never restocked.

The games I usually buy don't or never will get a Deal of the Day, and the sales/price drops for most stuff so far haven't been anything too good as just waiting on places like GameStop/Amazon/Digital stores/etc end up being better in the long run.

Really depends on what the releases for the year are like, but for me a at least there are a bunch of regular edition Vita & 3DS games that have been released or will be to make this sort of worth it.

Most of it just adds to my growing backlog.

And getting Borderlands TPS for the PC as the game to get GCU with didn't help my feeling toward this, one of the few titles I wanted to play while it was still new and the darned thing's stability issues were to the point I gave up trying to finish it ASAP to avoid spoilers.

Still at an extra $30 with a discount applied to TPS I don't regret doing it that much, I probably have already made up for it with what I already got for my Vita this year.

Other then that I don't use Best Buy for electronics, I have a Fry's around here and there is Amazon, and save for a 3X points coupon the only real electronics I might get from them would be a console/handheld.  I don't bother with them for USED games, thus I am mainly saving money and earning points from game related purchases.

lol, out of the 40ish games I've gotten since GCU started, only one pre-order shipped late, and that was Hyperdevotion Neptunia Noire that was like 2 weeks late.

Niche games do dry up shortly after release most of the time, but that's understandable.
Oh, so I wasn't the only one to have HNN ship late. Was the only title so far for me that took a while to get shipped and arrive.

I understand niche games going out of stock, but it still sucks they don't bother trying to restock them.

Best to go into this program expecting that and just pre-order what you want, which can be annoying with niche games since companies like Idea Factory haven't been announcing their own store-only Limited Editions in a timely manner.

That post was funny... "I bought a game that crashed like crazy and is unplayable... So Best Buy GCU suxors..." Seriously????

I buy wherever I can get a great deal. Because of GCU, that's usually BB.

All this rampant speculation is dumb as shit. Someone on page 2 was all ready to file a class action suit because he had decided BB was going to drop the %-age to 10%. Come the fuck on... Someone needs to dump his "jump to conclusions" mat...

Edit: just searched again an no locations in stock within 50 miles of my zip code. That covers about 8 locations I believe.
Every version of D:UEE is available at at least one of BBYs local to NoVA. Must just be a weird quirk in your area. Maybe it's just been popular since it's on sale.

Otherwise, blame the Ferguson PD. ;)

Remodeling the store to position new releases near expensive items makes them think the average consumer will come in looking for Hunger Games Steelbook and walk out paying for a new camera.......yeah , that's not going to work.   When I walk into the store, I know exactly what I want and know how much I am paying for it (usually PM) but the people they hire are usually window dressing clueless fucks who don't give a shit.

There is one rep who annoyed the shit out of me when I was in the store.  Tried to convince me to get a Wii U instead of a PS3 on BF a few years ago but I knew it wasn't worth it at the time.  Ended up getting a PS3 instead and I was happy about it.  He reminded me the usual Gamestop employee trying to get me to pre-order shit.  Unfortunately he was the only one in the store who knew how to properly pre-order something for customers in the system.

Before gamers club I spent 90 percent of my gaming dollars at Amazon. Best Buy was only an option those rare times they had it cheaper. Since gamers club, I haven't bought a game at any other store other than best buy unless they no longer carried it. As a result, I've been buying many other things there and my amazon purchases have seriously declined.
Another factor there, possibly not relevant to your situation, is that Amazon now collects sales tax in a lot more areas than it used to.

bread's done
Back