Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked Permanent Price Drop - $30

litepink

CAGiversary!
Feedback
37 (100%)

$30 Gamers Club Unlocked

• Save 20% on new video games, receive 10% bonus trade-in credit on games, plus other benefits. Terms and conditions apply. In-store activation required.
Was $99.99, now $30 for two years. Begins March 8th:
https://corporate.bestbuy.com/just-30-the-new-price-to-join-my-best-buys-gamers-club-unlocked/

Membership benefits:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/regularcatpcmcat338600050004/gamers-club/pcmcat338600050004.c?id=pcmcat338600050004

20% off new games, 10% off pre-owned, 10% extra trade-in credit, B2G1 Free Coupon and 50% off strategy guide coupon in Welcome Packet/email. Discount not applicable for consoles or accessories, but works on interactive gaming figures like amiibo, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders.

FAQ

Last edited by a moderator:
I think BB is finally seeing the light.  Are the making money off of this deal?  I'm sure they aren't.

What they are getting is foot traffic into their store.  More and more people are going to BB to window shop and then purchase online.  They can test their items out in the store and then buy it cheaper on BB's website, Amazon or others.

Now think about it.  You can walk into the store and by a new game at 20%.  Since you are in the store, maybe you pick up that toner you needed for your printer, or a new TV or a laptop docking station.  They will lose money on games, but will have more people shopping at the store.   This is a push to get people making transactions in the store.

It also makes people think that BB is a place to buy new games.  When I want a new game I think of merchants in this order:

Amazon.com

Gamestop

Walmart

Target

Best Buy

Now that I get 20% off games, I think BB first.

That's funny you think as Gamestop as your #2 place to buy new games. They rarely if ever have the best prices and their staff is usually pushy. They are near the bottom of my list. I only go into a Gamestop when there is a really good deal on something.

Like many of you with GCU Best Buy is my go-to place for games now

I get what you're saying about movies but really people shouldn't be buying physical media anymore. It's such a waste of money.
[SIZE=medium]Do you not understand that some people actually want to own physical copies of their films and not have their ownership of said movies tethered to some service? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]It’s not that I’m against digital wares (I own a fuckton of digital games) but I do want hard copies of the films I own. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Also, as good as streaming is, Bluray still looks markedly better. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Now, if you don’t care about physical ownership (I’m a film buff and collector) or are generally unconcerned with having the best possible fidelity then yes, physical media isn’t necessary. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]But for many of us, physical media, especially as it pertains to film, is an absolute must. [/SIZE]

Wow...now I'm not so sad I missed the last sale. MGS5 CE and DMC4SE will cover the cost of the membership, but I can't think of any other games coming out that I'd want to buy day 1 in the next 2 years? Maybe FF15?

Wow...now I'm not so sad I missed the last sale. MGS5 CE and DMC4SE will cover the cost of the membership, but I can't think of any other games coming out that I'd want to buy day 1 in the next 2 years? Maybe FF15?
it all depends on how you want to play (and how much time you have). i wanted to try evolve out when the game still had a player population. so with GCU discount % + the $10 RZ cert, they paid me $2-3 to buy the game day 1 and trade it in 2ish weeks later.

they are likely fine, as their used profit makes up that difference, and they likely had some promotional deal with the publisher (tied to the RZ cert...not to mention, that RZ cert gets spent at BBUY and nowhere else).

it all depends on how you want to play (and how much time you have). i wanted to try evolve out when the game still had a player population. so with GCU discount % + the $10 RZ cert, they paid me $2-3 to buy the game day 1 and trade it in 2ish weeks later.

they are likely fine, as their used profit makes up that difference, and they likely had some promotional deal with the publisher (tied to the RZ cert...not to mention, that RZ cert gets spent at BBUY and nowhere else).
Totally forgot about the $10 coupons. I don't have time like that anymore, but the coupon makes it even sweeter.

What does buying day 1 have to do with anything? Day 1, day 1000, 20% off is 20% off (although at day 1000, the price, and therefore the discount, will be lower). I like getting $60 games for $48, and I like getting $20 games for $16.

I use my GCU to help my friends. So I've saved over $100 in the 3 months I've had the membership.

This price change makes me worry that they'll be changing the program's structure in a year or two.

..and to those saying their used game sales' profits will curb the loss new titles...How many used games have you noticed 'missing' (purchased), every time I decide to check their used selection...it's always terrible, and generally more expensive than their new-title counterparts.

That goes hand in hand with killing your competition...You do so by driving consumers to shop with you exclusively. Didn't think I had to spell that part out. But I guess I should have.
nope, those are two separate things; you can kill competition by solely using online/shipping a la Amazon. Foot traffic, on the other hand, is about getting people to buy more of your things, completely separate from killing competition, which is not about making sales but decreasing competitor's sales.

Underhanding competition - it's about sacrificing revenue in order to kill competitor's revenue

Increasing foot traffic - sacrificing revenue on one product in order to sell more of other products

Two completey separate tactics with two completely separate end-goals.

So not only were you a dick about it, but you were indeed wrong.

Thanks for reminding me that they're re-doing DMC4 for some reason. I stared at this a while wondering if you were talking about DmC and forgot that 4 existed.

Every version of D:UEE is available at at least one of BBYs local to NoVA. Must just be a weird quirk in your area. Maybe it's just been popular since it's on sale.

Otherwise, blame the Ferguson PD. ;)
Or something. Literally I check for that game every time I'm in the store and shake my head as to why it's not there. It's not just b/c of this sale. This has been a constant since launch.

Also the staff here is barely adequate. When I considered selling my CE of DA: Inquisition I went into BB and it took 4 employees and 20 minutes to find the PS4 Deluxe Edition of DA: I.

I am learning so much reading all the comments. My mom says, "what about education" and I say to her, "its right here mom, right here, at CAG".

Good job guys...now that the economics is over, can we do history/science, by any chance?

:D

It also makes people think that BB is a place to buy new games. When I want a new game I think of merchants in this order:

Amazon.com

Gamestop

Walmart

Target

Best Buy

Now that I get 20% off games, I think BB first.
lol, for me it was:

Amazon

Target

Gamestop

Best Buy

Walmart

Now it's

Best Buy

Amazon

Target

Gamestop

Walmart

Don't mind me, I'm just here to read the comments.

What's up CAG? I see our price change on GCU has stirred some conversation.

The 20% isn't going away folks... would be kind of silly to have a press release go out calling out that benefit and then take it right away, don't you think?

And if you're worried about the company being around, might want to do a quick search on the latest earnings release.

To all of the current GCU members, thank you for your support. For all the new members who come in at the new price, welcome to the club!

Or something. Literally I check for that game every time I'm in the store and shake my head as to why it's not there. It's not just b/c of this sale. This has been a constant since launch.

Also the staff here is barely adequate. When I considered selling my CE of DA: Inquisition I went into BB and it took 4 employees and 20 minutes to find the PS4 Deluxe Edition of DA: I.
Which one are you going to, MSU? I've had nothing but great CS from the South County store, though that's the main one I frequent since it's close to home.

I almost always do in-store pickups on my orders, so I save time with legwork in finding it. That, or ship it to work so I don't have to worry about going to the store.

You are right, the PS4 version of D: UEE is pretty much sold out in the area, though XB1 is in-stock at a number of stores in the St. Louis area.

$23.99 on a PS4 games after GCU does get people out and buying it. Even $30 is half off and enough to get people out to buy it.

It is available for shipping, for what that's worth.

Don't mind me, I'm just here to read the comments.

What's up CAG? I see our price change on GCU has stirred some conversation.

The 20% isn't going away folks... would be kind of silly to have a press release go out calling out that benefit and then take it right away, don't you think?

And if you're worried about the company being around, might want to do a quick search on the latest earnings release.

To all of the current GCU members, thank you for your support. For all the new members who come in at the new price, welcome to the club!
Thanks Delta for the reassurance from someone on the inside.

How many games do you have to get in order for it to be worth it at this price? Just one? I usually only preorder if Target has a great deal with 33% off on another game + $10 gift card.

How many games do you have to get in order for it to be worth it at this price? Just one? I usually only preorder if Target has a great deal with 33% off on another game + $10 gift card.
This pays for itself if you spend $150 on new games every two years. That doesn't factor in that you save 10% off used games, get an extra 10% on trade ins, plus welcome coupon for B2G1 Free software and 50% off a strategy guide.

nope, those are two separate things; you can kill competition by solely using online/shipping a la Amazon. Foot traffic, on the other hand, is about getting people to buy more of your things, completely separate from killing competition, which is not about making sales but decreasing competitor's sales.

Underhanding competition - it's about sacrificing revenue in order to kill competitor's revenue

Increasing foot traffic - sacrificing revenue on one product in order to sell more of other products

Two completey separate tactics with two completely separate end-goals.

So not only were you a dick about it, but you were indeed wrong.
Underhanding competition results in people not shopping at the other place in order to shop at your place. You lose money on the sale by doing so, but they lose all sales.

Increasing foot traffic- means getting people in your store (or online shop or whatever). There are many ways to do so without cutting revenue. Here, I googled an example for you: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/small-business/openforum/articles/10-tips-to-drive-foot-traffic-to-your-business-aine-cryts/

Loss leader - sacrificing revenue on one product in order to increase foot traffic and hopefully sell more of other products.

So not only were you wrong in your initial condescending post, you're wrong again here too.

Good day sir.

$30 = 20% * X

Divide both sides by 20% to solve for X.

$30/20% -> 30 * 10 / 2 -> 300 / 2 -> $150.

Re: Physical Media:

I'd much rather purchase DVDs and Blu-Ray and rip them myself so I don't have to deal with any silly DRM of any kind.

Unfortunately it doesn't work this way with videogames.

Underhanding competition results in people not shopping at the other place in order to shop at your place. You lose money on the sale by doing so, but they lose all sales.
Increasing foot traffic- means getting people in your store (or online shop or whatever). There are many ways to do so without cutting revenue. Here, I googled an example for you: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/small-business/openforum/articles/10-tips-to-drive-foot-traffic-to-your-business-aine-cryts/
Loss leader - sacrificing revenue on one product in order to increase foot traffic and hopefully sell more of other products.

So not only were you wrong in your initial condescending post, you're wrong again here too.
Good day sir.
No. All you're saying is that these are business moves to gain customers long-term. No duh. What I am saying is that, simply, the two tactics are not freely interchangeable, as you imply. Yes, both intend to gain customers (again, no duh); how you go about doing it, the means to the end, is what's different.

For one company, it's better to harshly undercut competition - external means. To another, it's better to undercut your own prices in order to sell something else that has proven to make a better impact on sales - internal means. Best Buy has other, more profitable things to sell compared to GameStop, implying that their tactics are indeed different.

Different means. My only point. You are creating a debate out of something that's non-debatable. It's like me saying that some people like orange and others like green, and you saying "WRONG. IT'S THE SAME THING BECAUSE ALL PEOPLE LIKE COLORS"

Which one are you going to, MSU? I've had nothing but great CS from the South County store, though that's the main one I frequent since it's close to home.

I almost always do in-store pickups on my orders, so I save time with legwork in finding it. That, or ship it to work so I don't have to worry about going to the store.

You are right, the PS4 version of D: UEE is pretty much sold out in the area, though XB1 is in-stock at a number of stores in the St. Louis area.

$23.99 on a PS4 games after GCU does get people out and buying it. Even $30 is half off and enough to get people out to buy it.

It is available for shipping, for what that's worth.
South County was the store I had the fiasco of 20 minute wait to get DA: I Deluxe. Everyone was really nice, but kinda incompetent. I had made the decision to sell my CE while eating nearby so I didn't have time to do online pickup (which ended up a moot point as my CE on EBay was returned b/c of damage so I just returned the Deluxe Edition game 2 weeks later.)

Fenton is where I had my issue with the preorder of Batman: Arkham Origins, just had to wait an hour for them to finally find the Metalpak's, after being lied to by customer service and calling corporate on them.

Great now I can renew my membership. This is an awesome deal! I have saved so much in the past few years with this membership

http://us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/visit/profiles/killjoy0124">
killjoy0124.png
Get Your Portable ID!

You'd never buy any other games ever from Best Buy?

Gamers Club Unlocked has been the biggest joke to me on this site for the longest time now. My BestBuy has been drastically downsizing its movie and games section for over a year and a half now. They used to have a full aisle for each platform, and over a dozen full aisles of movies. Now they've got about 1/3rd of an aisle dedicated to a particular system and the movies department has maybe four or five aisles. It's impossible to find any movies there that aren't brand new releases, and even then, it has to be a blockbuster.

I talked to a guy there a couple years ago when I was looking for a Blu that they didn't have in stock and he said that BestBuy was about to start phasing out media because "everyone is buying their movies and games digitally now." I didn't believe BestBuy would be that stupid, but apparently it seems like that's true. "Turn on the Fun" is now "Turn on the...washing machine?"

I suspect anyone buying a GCU account now won't be able to use it in-store within six months, atleast at mine, unless they're buying a day-one $60 game.

Rant over.
All of the ones in my area have huge sections of physical media. Even music CDs. Maybe it's just in your area?

I preordered typo-0 for $46 after a coupon I had. I hope I don't regret it. Now if only they would actually come through with that $20 credit I was promised by one of their reps for not being able to get my 20% on my major as mask ce due to a glitch where I had 2 rewards accounts I might preorder the Arkham Knightt CE. It's been a month and I'm still waiting. Do you guys just think I can go to a store and do a return and rebut on my online order? I would only get $10 back if that were to work.

I preordered typo-0 for $46 after a coupon I had. I hope I don't regret it. Now if only they would actually come through with that $20 credit I was promised by one of their reps for not being able to get my 20% on my major as mask ce due to a glitch where I had 2 rewards accounts I might preorder the Arkham Knightt CE. It's been a month and I'm still waiting. Do you guys just think I can go to a store and do a return and rebut on my online order? I would only get $10 back if that were to work.
You should be able to do a return/rebuy.

You'd never buy any other games ever from Best Buy?
Unless DMC5, Revengeance 2, and ZOE3 are announced, probably not. I just don't have the time to play as much as I used to and I still have a bit of a backlog on my PS3. Pre-order coupons seal the deal for me though. :)

Yep I remembered this...then they quickly dropped it after a year or 2 :p I can't believe that I wasted my money on the GCU with the mag subscription. Most of my issues never arrived and it was damn near impossible to get a hold of a CSR about this.

Actually reward zone was a paid program for a period of time.

And GC was free, then $15 /yr for a magazine sub and unlocked.

bread's done
Back