Best Buy-Playstation 3D Display-$299.99 incl. glasses, HDMI, Motorstorm Apocalypse

So is this going to be on sale in the morning too? I wanted to trade in some games in the morning and use that credit toward this. Or would I be able to purchase it now, and return it and re buy it with the credit I get?

[quote name='gepet0']Was your use online or in store? Can the code be used online?[/QUOTE]

I used it in store as those coupons can't be used online or for in-store pickup.

Edit: This was in the past and not for this item.

[quote name='gepet0']

Also how can one use it as a pc monitor? Will using it as a monitor harm it?[/QUOTE]

HDMI output from your video card on your PC... no it wont hurt it? lol

This makes me all but certain that this will be $199 within the next couple months; if not sooner. I'll snag one for sure at that price to replace my monitor.

Man I was seconds away from buying this 2 weeks ago when they had the deal to get it with a PS3 for $100. So I could have gotten a price adjustment now to make it $399 for a PS3 and the display.

The dealbreaker for me was the lack of TV tuner. I use a coax cable to pull in HD channels so this wouldn't have worked for that. Hmmmm I may think about it again now.

Wow! This monitor tanked faster than the Titanic. Can't really say I'm surprised though, seeing who would give up a larger screen for 3D? Even the people without the space would probably just opt for a cheaper 24" than pay premium for 3D. This monitor will retail for $200-250 in early January is my bet. Heck, it doesn't even seem like this monitor has been on the market for even a month.

Thanks OP!! I just placed my order for pickup tomorrow. I would rather game on a smaller screen and feel this to be the perfect size for me. Can't wait:)

Wow this is tempting. I've been looking for a gaming TV for my bed room and this would be perfect. If that $25 coupon works and my RB coupons roll in I'm might break and order it

[quote name='iwannadie']Not to defend this screen but really, how many people are running a coax from the wall to a high end hd 3d display and not using a tuner box?[/QUOTE]

Me. Not paying for a second cable box for the bedroom, and it has our old 37" TV.

This thing probably would've sold a lot better had it had a TV tuner built in and was 32" priced at $399 or $499.

The issue is a, it needed to be a TV on its own and b, it is way to small by current standards (even by current standards 32" isn't exactly the norm anymore for even a bedroom TV).

tempting...very tempting...but STILL a little too expensive. 199 would do it for me. But if I walk into a Best Buy tomorrow and find that this is in-store as well...I dont know what Ill do...

I was close to pulling the trigger, but in the end I just can't spend 300 bucks on a 24" monitor. A few factors that kept my itchy trigger finger still was......no tuner built in, small 24" size, no VGA input, no remote, reports of small 3D glasses being painful, glare.......and just the idea of wearing cataract surgery looking glasses to view 3D in general..lol. I also only have a handful of 3D compatible games anyways.

[quote name='Toohumanlive']I assume I could use this as a PC monitor? I use HDMI.[/QUOTE]

Yes. That is why I'm buying this. I am using it as a second display for my MacBook pro in my office, plus to scratch the small 3d gaming itch I have.

Pros: Housing is gorgeous. The (notorious) glare doesn't bother me too much, as I usually game in the dark.

As for the cons... I still want this monitor to work. if anybody can offer some solutions, I'll revise this screed.
Cons: I bought this for use (as advertised) with a PC, for PC gaming, in 3D. I consider myself tech-savvy, even 3d-savvy, and even I was mislead by the promotional information from Sony. Let's review:

"...best-in-class HD 3D display and 240Hz refresh rate..."

I didn't seriously think it was 240Hz, but I *did* get the impression that this was a 120Hz monitor plus frame interpolation. This is false. The monitor is 60Hz with frame packing. Not even remotely "best-in-class."

"...and PC for all of your HD 3D content..."

Don't expect 1080p, 60Hz 3d. As mentioned, this monitor only accepts 60Hz inputs, so if you're watching 1080p in 3d, you get 24Hz. Twenty. Four. FTR, that's 10% of what is advertised. You can watch 720p at 60Hz in 3d, but, see "other thoughts."

"'universal'* PlayStation 3D Glasses..."

This is Sony's way of saying they have no 3d driver solution, so you have to rely on others (iZ3d, TriDef, NVIDIA). As far as I can tell from their website, they never intend to sup
Other Thoughts: My experience with drivers:

NVIDIA 3d Vision

You'll need to update to the latest beta driver for any support at all (otherwise, a crash error when launching the 3d test). Even then, the *only* 3d I could view was the stereo test. In both StarCraft II and Dirt 3, the app would launch, the glasses would kick on, but the content would be perfectly flat.

iZ3d

I was unable to find any working solution with iZ3d's trial drivers. Even the stereo test fails.

TriDef

This was the only solution for playing a game in 3d, but the only working settings were side-by-side (i.e. 1/2 horizontal resolution) 1080p at 24Hz, and it looked horrible. Text becomes illegible, objects look blocky, like they're made of legos, and the drivers slow down the PC so much that my i7-2600k and GTX570 were struggling to hit 24 fps with all low settings.

Under no settings or drivers could I get 720p 60Hz to work.

I would return the monitor if I could, but apparently it is exchange-only. Now I know
- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16879261314

I found the above review on newegg.com, for those that are considering getting this for PC use. There is a reason why sony is advertising this as a "display" instead of a monitor or TV. I think Sony is planning to discontinue this display just like the fail playstation soundbar they sold a year ago for $200.

$399 and $499 was highway robbery. I'll probably bite on this if Amazon has it for $299, submit the prices guys!

I need a TV Tuner. I am looking into cutting the cord, and that will be more difficult to do without a TV Tuner.

Now, if and when this thing hits 200, I might bite. My little brothers could use a better gaming TV.

All right, I bit. Here's my reasoning why the price won't get much cheaper than this. The cheapest 3D TVs go for ~$600 and those are plasmas. They are bigger though. But none of them come with $70 glasses and a $40 game. Even the cheapest non-3D no-name brand TVs ~24" go for about $200. So I don't see how this can go much lower, but of course I can be wrong. For me, it will let me play around with 3D gaming without having to replace my bigger TVs. And it's portable enough to move around. Now I just hope my XBR8 doesn't die and make me buy a new main TV, which would make this purchase pointless.

Choosing instore pickup after seeing how UPS dropped my ps3 over my fence. If a lower price comes before Jan 24th, I'm safe. You can't do that with amazon.

I also use a coax cable on my 50" plasma TV/ w 3d. It's a non hd signal though as I won't pay for another cable box. But I don't think the coax is a big deal. Any DVD player or Blu player should have a coax in so you can run your signal through that.

I actually really like the 3d feature of my TV (if only there were more movies), but bigger is better with 3d (to make sure you get the pop out 3d), so I'm not sure I'd go smaller than what I have currently.

Would be nice to get one of these but I already have a 23" LED monitor and don't want to go through the trouble of trying to sell it. If it was around $200, i wouldn't hesitate to buy it though.

Still have 0 interest in this. Who cares about the cheesy tight fitting glasses and a $40 game that's lame as hell anyway. Still saving my pennies for a 3D plasma at income tax time.

[quote name='krashhole']Still have 0 interest in this. Who cares about the cheesy tight fitting glasses and a $40 game that's lame as hell anyway. Still saving my pennies for a 3D plasma at income tax time.[/QUOTE]
Who cares what you want? I bought one, been on the fence for a while. Thanks OP!

[quote name='redroversk']Who cares what you want? I bought one, been on the fence for a while. Thanks OP![/QUOTE]

:applause: Enjoy your 24 inches of gaming. Some of us just have higher standards.

[quote name='krashhole']:applause: Enjoy your 24 inches of gaming. Some of us just have higher standards.[/QUOTE]

I game regularly on my 3 inch iPhone, my 3DS and my PSP (well, not recently, but you get the idea). Sit close enough and a 24 inch display doesn't seem small at all.

Would I prefer to replace my large screen TV with a 3D capable model? Most definitely. Unfortunately my TV is only 3 years old and my wife would have a fit if I tried that. A small cheap display that I keep in my office is a great compromise.

[quote name='krashhole']:applause: Enjoy your 24 inches of gaming. Some of us just have higher standards.[/QUOTE]

For me its not the size, its the quality of the set. My buddy purchased one of these and I wasn't impressed at all with the quality. On top of that, the 3D glasses are like 2 times darker than other 3D glasses I have tried. Its like playing a videogame with sunglasses on. If your going to go 3D this early than you gotta spend the cash and get a quality set. Otherwise its just best to wait until tech gets better and prices come down.

As for the size, it all depends how far you plan on sitting away from it. You cant even tell the difference between SD and HD if you sit too far away. If your going to be sitting 15 feet away then I would not recommend getting a 24" set. If however your only going to be sitting 6 feet away than a 24" set will work just fine. Its all relative to how far you sit from the set.

Question how is it with games? I am hearing great for games bad for desktop.

Does it come with 1 or 2 pair of glasses? Is it 24 widescreen? I have been on the fence so I might swing. Just treat myself again and again.

[quote name='stubadub']I game regularly on my 3 inch iPhone, my 3DS and my PSP (well, not recently, but you get the idea). Sit close enough and a 24 inch display doesn't seem small at all.

Would I prefer to replace my large screen TV with a 3D capable model? Most definitely. Unfortunately my TV is only 3 years old and my wife would have a fit if I tried that. A small cheap display that I keep in my office is a great compromise.[/QUOTE]

In your case, then yeah. 24" will be like a whole new gaming experience for you lol. I guess I am just used to having big TV's. My Samsung plasma is nearly 5 years old. Nothing wrong with it, I just want something newer and to take advantage of 3D Bluray.

[quote name='Righteous Nixon']For me its not the size, its the quality of the set. My buddy purchased one of these and I wasn't impressed at all with the quality. On top of that, the 3D glasses are like 2 times darker than other 3D glasses I have tried. Its like playing a videogame with sunglasses on. If your going to go 3D this early than you gotta spend the cash and get a quality set. Otherwise its just best to wait until tech gets better and prices come down.

As for the size, it all depends how far you plan on sitting away from it. You cant even tell the difference between SD and HD if you sit too far away. If your going to be sitting 15 feet away then I would not recommend getting a 24" set. If however your only going to be sitting 6 feet away than a 24" set will work just fine. Its all relative to how far you sit from the set.[/QUOTE]

Great points all around. I was going to get one of these but decided on the VIZIO 42' 3D HDTV for black friday and it's working out perfectly for me. The glasses are light and easy to wear as well. This set was just to small to replace my other older dying Samsung (40")

I got Best Buy to price match guarantee the display I bought last Sunday. I got $106 back (includes MD tax). :D Those who already purchased the display, I recommend that. Definitely an awesome display.

The screen definitely does not feel small at all.

I'm waiting for my $100 rz cert from the promo. I hope it comes in before Xmas eve. Then it'll be mine at $199.99+tax

[quote name='edallasplanet']Great points all around. I was going to get one of these but decided on the VIZIO 42' 3D HDTV for black friday and it's working out perfectly for me. The glasses are light and easy to wear as well. This set was just to small to replace my other older dying Samsung (40")[/QUOTE]

I think you made the smart choice. Then again its all what your used too. If someone is used to a 10" black and white set from the 70's then he would sh*t his pants watching this set. If your used to watching a top of the line HDTV then your going to be disappointed with this set. Like the distance, it really is all relative. Hell, even how good your eyesight is comes into play when speaking about HDTV picture quality. Some people just cant tell the difference.

With me I have been looking to upgrade my computer monitor which I basically use for browsing and vids. It sits next to my samsung 540 40 in which is about 2 years old. Still has a nice picture. Swapping cables back and forth might be a pain. LOL Does Best buy have a display running? Also most people nowadays have flat screens or some sort of Hd so if they like it I am assuming they have an HDtv plus the 299 price point lets me dabble in 3d without blowing a wad.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='oasisboy']3D is overrated.[/QUOTE]

You're so wrong. It adds such a great new aspect to gaming. I'm so happy I have my 58" 3DTV, and I'm SO happy with how much great support it's getting from both the PS3 and 360 side.

[quote name='kinney_bmx']Thing is tanking pretty badly.

I love Sony, but sometimes I feel bad for them.
They come out with great products, but alot never sell well. Not without reason though

I still say if they included a remote (the PS3 remote) and a larger size. These would sell well. Give me a 32" option and I would most likely buy it for the right price.[/QUOTE]

I love and support 3D, but this product itself has so much going wrong for it.

- Too small
- Too expensive (at least at first)
- No TV tuner

I mean, what market is this for? Computer gamers who also have a PS3? Whatever the few people here say to justify their impulse buys aside, 24" is ridiculous. It really could've been a good seller, they've been promoting it forever, it came with a free game (or games) and it was prominently featured all over at Gamestop...just makes you wonder if they did any real market research before deciding to throw this thing out there....or if they thought maybe they'd make it just with the intention of selling to the Japanese market (since space is limited in apartments there?

[quote name='JaylisJayP']You're so wrong. It adds such a great new aspect to gaming. I'm so happy I have my 58" 3DTV, and I'm SO happy with how much great support it's getting from both the PS3 and 360 side.[/QUOTE]

So how does 3d gaming feel? Do you have to fight for the 3d effect or is it natural?

[quote name='caltab']what are the best 3d games/movies to get?

gepet, every best buy ive been to has the monitor on display[/QUOTE]

Beauty and the Beast in 3D is so awesome. Thats my favorite movie in 3D so far.

Games:

- Killzone 3
- Black Ops
- Resistance 3
- Gran Turismo 5
- Gears 3
- Halo Anniversary
- Crysis 2
- Sly Cooper Collection
- God of War Origins Collection
- Prince of Persia Collection
- Motorstorm Apocalypse (not a fan of the game but the 3D is good)
- Mortal Kombat
- NBA 2K12
- Arkham City
- Assassin's Creed Revelations
- Dynasty Warriors 7
- Enslaved
- Crysis (DLC)
- MLB 11 The Show
- Socom 4
- House of the Dead Overkill Extended Cut
- Uncharted 3

Here's a full list - not sure if it's up to date, though: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...-ps3-updated-list-of-all-3d-games-and-movies/

For movies: Just go to the 3D section of blu-ray.com, they have a 3D section...there's a lot out already. I've seen sem Imax ones, most of the animated ones, Resident Evil Apocalypse, bunch of the super hero action movies...they've all been pretty immersive.

[quote name='gepet0']So how does 3d gaming feel? Do you have to fight for the 3d effect or is it natural?[/QUOTE]

It's pretty natural. I won't say it's perfect since it's still fairly new - you'll see some ghosting (crosstalk - double vision almost) in some games, Killzone 3 - while fantastic 3D - does suffer somewhat from this).

It's also not about stuff coming out at you (although the mud effect in Motorstorm 3D Rift DLC is pretty cool). For me, it's about the added depth. It just draws you into the game so much.

I was playing Killzone 3 with the Move Sharpshooter in 3D and it was a totally different experience.

I'm wondering the same thing. The only 3D game I can name off the top of my head is Killzone 3. Is there any worthwhile 3D games for Ps3/360?

[quote name='Namerson']I'm wondering the same thing. The only 3D game I can name off the top of my head is Killzone 3. Is there any worthwhile 3D games for Ps3/360?[/QUOTE]

See list and link 2 posts above. There's a great selection of 3D games out already.

bread's done
Back