Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='xx1jpt5xx']trade in for epic yarn dropped to $11 and epic mickey dropped to $25 within the last 10 mins[/QUOTE]

Yup, and it seems all the 30 dollar ones dropped at least $5. Red dead is now $11 as well.

Damn that's effed up especially considering when i tried to trade in yesterday the trade in system got narced after 5 pm and was down at another location (methinks it was company wide) essentially screwing me over to trade in my copy in store. So to anyone that has actually mailed their trade-ins to Best Buy/Dealtree, if you got the estimate at a higher price but then it's since dropped will they still honor the higher price? Also how long does the process take and do you receive a physical gift card?

[quote name='xx1jpt5xx']trade in for epic yarn dropped to $11 and epic mickey dropped to $25 within the last 10 mins[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the heads up! Was just about to head out the door to do this flip.

[quote name='xx1jpt5xx']Me and my sister both live in the same house. Does that mean we can only trade in a max of 3 copies total?[/QUOTE]

I would like to know this as well, is it 3 per person or 3 per household?

[quote name='cheeky']Yup, and it seems all the 30 dollar ones dropped at least $5. Red dead is now $11 as well.[/QUOTE]

I know this will not be a popular sentiment, but in a strange way, I'm somewhat relieved by this.

Gamestop has so much control because no one else can get their shit together and run the trade in business quite as shrewdly. If Best Buy is going to be a serious competitor in the used game business, they need to adapt quickly. That's not to say that I don't appreciate/hope for the loopholes (they can be found from time to time at Gamestop too), I just want Best Buy to be able to adjust to them in a reasonable period of time.

I knew I shoulda locked in 3 Epic Mickeys last night on the BB tiv site.:cry:

I also shoulda likely traded my RDR and DR2 yesterday, since I doubt I'll ever play RDR again or finish DR2.

Happened to me too guys, tried to trade in Top Spin 4 & Monopoly Streets, which the official app says they were worth $25 a piece, only to go to the store and they dropped to 16 & 9 for trade.

Honestly, that's fucking stupid. If BB is really serious about trying to contend against FailStop for trading stuff in, they can't lure customers in and then just change the values.

[quote name='atc250es']I would like to know this as well, is it 3 per person or 3 per household?[/QUOTE]

Limit: We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED.

I can't help but feel relieved that Epic Mickey's TIV dropped, since now I won't feel like I have to go to TRU to make a 100% profit.

And at least Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition's TIV is now $25 on the site. *locks in trade*

[quote name='Vigilante']I can't help but feel relieved that Epic Mickey's TIV dropped, since now I won't feel like I have to go to TRU to make a 100% profit.

And at least Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition's TIV is now $25 on the site. *locks in trade*[/QUOTE]
It's $25 for both 360 and PS3 versions of Resident Evil 5 GE, but what's funny is that the 360 version is just a vanilla copy of RE5 once the download code inside it is used.:whistle2:#

[quote name='cheapgamerone']EDIT: found it. But how come I was able to lock in more than the limit for the price, what would they do then?[/QUOTE]

They do not return any excess games, nor do you get paid for them.

So if I submitted for 6 trade-ins (which their flawed system permitted me to do) on the manifest/packing slip should I only check off and send 3 of them and should that be okay?

So you guys that are "locking in the price" are you just going to ship the items in, or are you able to print out whatever they give you and just go into a BB store and have them take care of it in store?

I see people saying Monopoly Streets is only $9 in store, but it still shows $25 on the site. I assume then that in order to get the $25 I would either need to send it in, or show something to the store to get the listed trade in value.

How long do they usually take to get you the gift card if you send the item in?

[quote name='teknotronic']So you guys that are "locking in the price" are you just going to ship the items in, or are you able to print out whatever they give you and just go into a BB store and have them take care of it in store?

I see people saying Monopoly Streets is only $9 in store, but it still shows $25 on the site. I assume then that in order to get the $25 I would either need to send it in, or show something to the store to get the listed trade in value.

How long do they usually take to get you the gift card if you send the item in?[/QUOTE]I'm going to ship in my RE5: Gold Edition (a nearby Staples works handily as a UPS shipper :D), and I've heard it takes 2-3 weeks to receive the GC, though I faintly remember it taking less time for me the last time I sent something in to Dealtree (I could be wrong, though).

send them in, takes bout 3 weeks. i got 6 kirbys and 3 mickeys today, went to trade them in and they said tiv dropped, so i said no, plus they told me i couldnt trade in kirby cuz the tiv was higher then the sale price, oh well. mail them in. peace

[quote name='Velo214']send them in, takes bout 3 weeks. i got 6 kirbys and 3 mickeys today, went to trade them in and they said tiv dropped, so i said no, plus they told me i couldnt trade in kirby cuz the tiv was higher then the sale price, oh well. mail them in. peace[/QUOTE]

Do you mean you are mailing in the 6 kirbys? Has anyone mailed in more than the limit of 3 to them if so what happened? For example if you submitted for 6 trade-ins of a game, would it be okay to send them only 3 (because of the limit thing even though the system allowed it) and the trade-in still counting?

[quote name='cheapgamerone']Do you mean you are mailing in the 6 kirbys? Has anyone mailed in more than the limit of 3 to them if so what happened?[/QUOTE]

They will just keep them, they will give you credit for up to 3 then nothing after that. If you look up the trade in page for a game, it will say it on every page limit of 3.

Was about to trade in 2 Epic Micks last night but decided to stay home and go today. Damn lost $10

however 30+ tax to get 50 aint to bad still.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I always check the actual trade in site to make sure that the values are still decent before going to trade stuff.[/QUOTE]
Yes a good idea... until you go to Best Buy at 10 this morning, check the TIV for Kirby there on the computer (30) and then buy 4 copies and go to the BB 4 miles away and arrive at 10:35 to find out that the TIV has dropped to 11. I made the guy show me the screen since I figured he was looking at the DS version but nope, TIV dropped.

Then the rude, ahem, individual tried to say they never give more than $25 for video game tradeins. Sigh. Gotta love CS at BB!

Luckily I locked in value at Dealtree already yesterday for 30 as a backup.

[quote name='Trendy2']They only wanted to give me $11 for NBA2K11 last night and $30 for Crysis 2, both for 360.[/QUOTE]

Just traded in three NBA 2k11 on 360 for $25 each....

I traded 3 epic mickey's in store and locked in another 3 online. Can I still send it into dealtree? Will they pay me or will they know that I already traded in in store and steal the copies I mail in?

[quote name='sillygal']I traded 3 epic mickey's in store and locked in another 3 online. Can I still send it into dealtree? Will they pay me or will they know that I already traded in in store and steal the copies I mail in?[/QUOTE]

a few months ago, I got an email from dealtree about a game I traded into the store. "thanks for trading in, blah blah blah."

So they definitely have access to your store trade ins. Not sure if they tie it via name / address/ email / phone.

[quote name='confoosious']a few months ago, I got an email from dealtree about a game I traded into the store. "thanks for trading in, blah blah blah."

So they definitely have access to your store trade ins. Not sure if they tie it via name / address/ email / phone.[/QUOTE]

who knows, i wouldn't be surprised if bestbuy and dealtree share databases since bestbuy now requires personal information from a valid US id (driver's license, passport, military id, etc.), phone number, AND a freaking thumbprint for trade ins and i'm assuming returns too now since the sign says "we keep track of this to prevent return fraud to bring you the lowest prices" or something to that extent.

i didn't think much of it when the guy asked for ID and phone number, but when he asked me for a thumb print i asked him "is all this necessary?"

what's next? social security and sperm or another valid form of dna samples will be required for trade ins and/or returns?

[quote name='edson13']Finally got my first trade in verified, took 6 days, 4 business. Now to wait for the gift card(s)[/QUOTE]

I have been waiting 12 days for the GC since receiving my confirmation email.

my two fallout new vegas are still in transit , sent it last week, here's hoping my $50 gift cards get approved and come soon :D

might get a mickey tomorrow, i locked it in yesterday for $30

the $24.xx price ($14.xx after $10) for Epic Mickey is clearance right? the most accessible TRU near me (Times Sq TRU) does not have clearance items, and I don't want to plan routes around tourists.

so far have five tradein shipments, just waiting for the games to arrive (and maybe "exchange" at gs)

[quote name='frpilot']who knows, i wouldn't be surprised if bestbuy and dealtree share databases since bestbuy now requires personal information from a valid US id (driver's license, passport, military id, etc.), phone number, AND a freaking thumbprint for trade ins and i'm assuming returns too now since the sign says "we keep track of this to prevent return fraud to bring you the lowest prices" or something to that extent.

i didn't think much of it when the guy asked for ID and phone number, but when he asked me for a thumb print i asked him "is all this necessary?"

what's next? social security and sperm or another valid form of dna samples will be required for trade ins and/or returns?[/QUOTE]
It's been said before and I'll say it again, the requirements to trade stuff in depend on the local pawn laws in your area.

So if they require a thumbprint to sell stuff to the pawn shop, then they'll require the same to do so at BB.

[quote name='joeshmoe']I picked up Metroid Other M, the price was marked for $14.99, and with my $10 coupon only $4.99 + tax. Thanks BB![/QUOTE]
What coupon? YMMV?
[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']Bybye NBA jam...25 TIV is more than I paid for that anyway :)[/QUOTE]
goes for me too, also bye bye RE4 Gold and Spider-man shattered dimensions

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']The Orange Box (PS3) has a trade in of staggering 27 dollars on Amazon! Sorry to post it in this thread....just a heads up[/QUOTE]

It's a rare game, which I have =). Goes for $50 used, $70 new on Ebay and currently $89.49 on Amazon. It traded in for $5 in credit at Best Buy LOL!! Should have bought a bunch when there were selling for $5 bucks. Just like Metroid Trilogy at Best Buy for $19.99 a year or two back.

When I checked Monday, :ps3: Star Wars Force Unleashed II CE had a TIV of $9, but it's back up to $25 now, along with the regular edition (which isn't listed in the actual 2 for $50). Bought mine on clearance for $20 two weeks ago, played it this weekend, took it in to BB today. So I got paid $5 to rent it for two weeks. Sweet deal.

[quote name='bigredvan14']Man, am I glad I traded in RDR on Friday. It also dropped to $11 from $30.[/QUOTE]

Could mean the GOTY edition is close since it was initially listed for a 3/1/11 release. Now the MSRP is $40 & combined sales are close to 8 mil if they make this a $30 GH and/or offer a $50 GOTY like uncharted 2 this will propel RDR to 10 mil. Also, with LA Noire coming there will probably be discounts on RDR w/purchase of LA Noire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back