Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still $25 for Epic Mickey today. Traded in my two copies I picked up from TRU today. Then I picked up Kirby and Flingsmash.

Apparently some stores ask for a receipt for some reason. I didn't think to ask if they wanted a Best Buy receipt or just a receipt from any store. I assume it's because they don't have their pawn license yet. I ended up having to drive out a little further to do my trade. GameStop and shipping off trades to whoever online is much easier and less time consuming.

Question: Anybody know if there's a way I cancel a trade with Best Buy's website? I put in a trade online just in case the value would drop before I could complete a trade in-store. Now I'd like to cancel it since I no longer need it. Do I just have to wait for time to pass and let the system cancel itself?

[quote name='Enuf']Could mean the GOTY edition is close since it was initially listed for a 3/1/11 release. Now the MSRP is $40 & combine sales are close to 8 mil if they make this a $30 GH and/or offer a $50 GOTY like uncharted 2 this will propel RDR to 10 mil. Also, will LA Noire coming there will probably be discounts on RDR w/purchase of LA Noire.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what I figured. I assumed a GOTY version with all DLC would eventually come out, but didn't know it was previously listed. I haven't checked the list in a long time before last week, so once I saw that it was $30 last week and I was in some dire need of Mortal Kombat, I nearly sprinted out the door to trade it in.

I already beat the game, as well as Undead Nightmare, but never play online, so I figure if I really want to play it again or go achievement hunting, I can get the standard game for cheap down the road.

How long does it usually take the online trade ins location to receive the games you ship out? It's been 7 days since I put it in the mail and the tracking number nor Best Buys trade in site shows that they have received it yet.

[quote name='xxjonoxx']How long does it usually take the online trade ins location to receive the games you ship out? It's been 7 days since I put it in the mail and the tracking number nor Best Buys trade in site shows that they have received it yet.[/QUOTE]

I'm in a similar boat. From what I've researched, it sounds like expect 3 weeks from sending the game out the door to getting your gift card. This lag time for BB to say they have received the game seems long, though. Not sure if they are just behind, or what, but UPS also has a notice in the tracking page that some of their hubs have been hit with really bad weather, delaying shipments, too, so that might have something to do with it.

I general, I'd wait until next week, if only because this program is probably limping along and I'd not want to draw any attention to myself right now.

[quote name='DerClaw']I'm in a similar boat. From what I've researched, it sounds like expect 3 weeks from sending the game out the door to getting your gift card. This lag time for BB to say they have received the game seems long, though. Not sure if they are just behind, or what, but UPS also has a notice in the tracking page that some of their hubs have been hit with really bad weather, delaying shipments, too, so that might have something to do with it.

I general, I'd wait until next week, if only because this program is probably limping along and I'd not want to draw any attention to myself right now.[/QUOTE]

whats funny is my first trade in took 4 business days to process and then I had two other orders that arrived during the same time that were processed the same day they arrived. Now my current one is on day 3. So what im trying to say is I dont know :)

[quote name='xxjonoxx']How long does it usually take the online trade ins location to receive the games you ship out? It's been 7 days since I put it in the mail and the tracking number nor Best Buys trade in site shows that they have received it yet.[/QUOTE]

It took them 10 days to receive my recent shipment. They finally got it on Tuesday and sent the confirmation emails at 3 o'clock this morning saying everything in my package checked out. That was about two weeks total from shipment to any word from them, so expect to stay out of the loop for a few days more.

Now to wait up to another week for my gift card to ship and at least half a week after that for it to arrive. I shoulda traded my stuff in store. LESSON LEARNED.

Question, When you traded in Epic Mickey - did you open the cases and remove the wrapping (like you have to do with GameStop when you go to trade in games)?

Or in other words, does BB not take in new, mint games for trade like GS? Do you have to open them to make them look like they are used?

Because I was gigged by GS when I tried to trade in a still sealed game - the sales guy said he could not take it, even if I went out side and brought in an opened version of the game.

[quote name='borg20001']Question, When you traded in Epic Mickey - did you open the cases and remove the wrapping (like you have to do with GameStop when you go to trade in games)?

Or in other words, does BB not take in new, mint games for trade like GS? Do you have to open them to make them look like they are used?

Because I was gigged by GS when I tried to trade in a still sealed game - the sales guy said he could not take it, even if I went out side and brought in an opened version of the game.[/QUOTE]

I don't know about mailing in (I've opened the stuff I've mailed in), but BB will take a game that is still sealed, but it will be the biggest PITA ever. They already make it very hard to trade in at BB, and it will be even worse if your game is still sealed. I just rip the plastic off in the parking lot on my way into the store. At least one store just flat out calls the cops if you're trying to trade in a sealed game, so do yourself a favor and open the game.

If I had printed a quote for $30 on a game last week, and the value dropped to $25 this week, and I ship the game now, would I get the $30 I was quoted or the $25?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']If I had printed a quote for $30 on a game last week, and the value dropped to $25 this week, and I ship the game now, would I get the $30 I was quoted or the $25?[/QUOTE]

So long as Deal Tree receives the game within 30 days of the quote date, you'll receive $30. If it arrives after that, you'll get whatever the current value is.

Roughly what would I get for

Xbox 360: The Sims
Wii Epic Mickey

I dont play Sims 3 at all, never did really even when it was new. If deal is good enough, I can just get Epic Mickey for the $15, plus a $5 rewards coupon...should take me down to about $9 or so with my discount.

Can we use the bestbuy giftcard buy Amazon gift card? I am new to BB trade-in. How do you guys spend the Bestbuy gift card since BB usually doesn't have great deals? Thanks.

[quote name='foreinter']Can we use the bestbuy giftcard buy Amazon gift card? I am new to BB trade-in. How do you guys spend the Bestbuy gift card since BB usually doesn't have great deals? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

You would buy a kindle GC which is basically an Amazon gc.

[quote name='Sniper33']Roughly what would I get for

Xbox 360: The Sims
Wii Epic Mickey

I dont play Sims 3 at all, never did really even when it was new. If deal is good enough, I can just get Epic Mickey for the $15, plus a $5 rewards coupon...should take me down to about $9 or so with my discount.[/QUOTE]
Enter the game name in the trade value look up tool on the site linked below to find your trade values.

http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm

[quote name='Trace17']When I checked Monday, :ps3: Star Wars Force Unleashed II CE had a TIV of $9, but it's back up to $25 now, along with the regular edition (which isn't listed in the actual 2 for $50). Bought mine on clearance for $20 two weeks ago, played it this weekend, took it in to BB today. So I got paid $5 to rent it for two weeks. Sweet deal.[/QUOTE]

Great. How complete does the game have to be? Do you have to have the thumb drive too or are they just worried about the case, manual, and game?

[quote name='Sniper33']thanks, it comes up as $25 each. So migt as well do it, dont really see myself wanting to play Sims 3 again...and $10 for epic mickey is aa good deal.[/QUOTE]
You're quite welcome. If you decide you want Epic Mickey back right after trading it in, you could always go to TRU before the end of business today and use the Gamer mag $10 off coupon to get it back for $14.99.;)
[quote name='thetruth1983']Great. How complete does the game have to be? Do you have to have the thumb drive too or are they just worried about the case, manual, and game?[/QUOTE]
Seeing as how the steelbook doesn't have a UPC on it, I'd say you'll need the outer plastic sleeve that wraps around the game and thumb drive.

As to whether or not they'll check for the thumb drive, that's YMMV, but I'd bring it in with me if I were you. Besides which, that Mimobot drive is an ugly pos.:whistle2:#

Looks like they finally got my game, it now says "Verified". Now the dreaded wait for them to ship the GC.

I finally got around to shipping my games out at the beginning of this week (Monday). They received them on Thursday and verified them today. Not too bad. And it looks like they accepted the unopened ones I had no problem (I knew Amazon didn't care about unopened games or not, but I wasn't sure about Best Buy). I just hope it doesn't really take two weeks to get that gift card, though.

Anyone have any luck sending games without manuals to the online center? The quote makes no mention of the manual being needed, just case and artwork. But it seems like to trade them in-store you do need it.

2 of the mario galaxy I ordered from gohastings came manual-less(what a surprise), just wondering if I should even attempt to send them.

[quote name='Abeja']Anyone see this trade 3 for 60 gift card list?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Video-G...es/pcmcat232900050010.c?id=pcmcat232900050010

God of War 3, FF13, GoW collection are a few that ive had recently and traded away to Gamestop. Get 20 for each would have been sweet. But again the estimator has FF13 at 7 and the GoW games at 7-8.[/QUOTE]

it sometimes takes a day to update the site (i don't suggest going to the store before the site updates) with the higher TIVs. That happened to RE5 Gold.

Very tempted to trade in my GOWs.

[quote name='Abeja']Anyone see this trade 3 for 60 gift card list?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Video-G...es/pcmcat232900050010.c?id=pcmcat232900050010

God of War 3, FF13, GoW collection are a few that ive had recently and traded away to Gamestop. Get 20 for each would have been sweet. But again the estimator has FF13 at 7 and the GoW games at 7-8.[/QUOTE]

How does this promotion work since the value estimator value is much lower? Should we just print the page and bring it to Bestbuy?

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store? Or is the lock-in only for shipping your games to BB?

traded in 6 $25 games and picked up 3 $50 amazon gift cards with no problem. the process was quick & easy. just as easy as GS.

[quote name='confoosious']it sometimes takes a day to update the site (i don't suggest going to the store before the site updates) with the higher TIVs. That happened to RE5 Gold.

Very tempted to trade in my GOWs.[/QUOTE]

Isnt it 9.99 at BBV? Its new for 19.99 on Amazon, so I dont see why you wouldnt want to get rid of them. I wish I still had mine. Same with Uncharted 2. I traded that into Best Buy for 16 last month.

The promo no longer makes sense...

There are two links now. One is "3 for $60." The other is "2 for $60." Look up the games in either list, but they do not add up to $20 or $30 each. Epic Mickey for example is still $25 even though you're supposed to be able to trade two of those for $60. (All of that Toys R' Us flipping still hasn't dropped the value, more amazingly.)

What is going on? I suppose you could try to take this list to Best Buy, but they seem like such newbs at doing this trade-in thing, I think they'll have to turn you away because they don't know what they're doing.

all that is going on is that the promo is subject to change. And what they'll tell you if you try to go and try to get $30 for epic mickey.

The price on the website is always what they're gonna give you at the time you walk in the door because they use the same system. Arguing with them is a waste of time.

[quote name='edson13']Anyone have any luck sending games without manuals to the online center? The quote makes no mention of the manual being needed, just case and artwork. But it seems like to trade them in-store you do need it.

2 of the mario galaxy I ordered from gohastings came manual-less(what a surprise), just wondering if I should even attempt to send them.[/QUOTE]

Best Buy takes them without the manual.

yeah, im an asshole. i take the manuals out of games i trade in to bestbuy, and i literally give them the game in a plastic baggy disc only if it's gamestop, lol. not even ziplock.
i need my cases and extra manuals! lol sorry to those that get my copies, but hey, they are great condition disks, lol.

[quote name='cawthor']Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store? Or is the lock-in only for shipping your games to BB?[/QUOTE]

No. Locking TIV is only good for online trades.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn, just traded Medal of Honor to GS yesterday and got $12.xx after the promo applied and could have gotten $20 at BB today. Oh well, only paid $13 for it thanks to the GameFly sale.

The $20 trade list is pretty decent. Definitely need to finally beat KZ2 this week and get rid of that. And Sports Champions for $20?!

Is this list new or old? I know the computer prices haven't updated but wasn't sure if the have yet to update or if they have dropped since the list was put up.

Wierd, i just look up call of duty black ops for wii and WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2011 for ps3 and both are worth 25 instead of the promised 60.

For god's sake! They got me on the epic mickey. I must have traded one in like 20 minutes before they changed it back to 30 bucks.

[quote name='confoosious']are you looking at an old list? EM is stil $25 on the website.[/QUOTE]

I don't know, it's in the 2 for 60 list, but if you look it up it's still just at 25 dollars, so I guess that's why I only got 25 bucks when I traded it in, but I have no idea how you'd get "2 for 60" then.

I guess the question I posted earlier would answer both Xellos2099 and DerClaw's questions:

[quote name='Brenex']Is this list new or old? I know the computer prices haven't updated but wasn't sure if the have yet to update or if they have dropped since the list was put up.[/QUOTE]

Ok, I am gonna answer this once and for all:

If a list is old, then check the website and you'll see the latest prices.

If the list is brand spankin new (or recently edited by the BB folks), and the website price is lower, then check back later because it's probably that Best Buy marketing put together the new list and Dealtree has not updated their db yet.

Yup like confoosious said.

I put up a FAQ in the first page because these same questions are coming up everyday.

The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually released first on Sunday, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

[quote name='bh47']Yup like confoosious said.

I put up a FAQ in the first page because these same questions are coming up everyday.

The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually released first on Sunday, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.[/QUOTE]

I check that site a lot, so it would seem to me that they updated that list and posted it tonight, and haven't changed their system yet. Obviously, this site is pretty random though, so who knows!

[quote name='DerClaw']I check that site a lot, so it would seem to me that they updated that list and posted it tonight![/QUOTE]

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back