Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='person123']Was able to get Black Ops & WaW PM (TRU) at BestBuy walked out with both + $30 GC for 59.98 + tax at the register. Good deal, thx cag![/QUOTE]

I think I'm off to best buy to get me the same thing and keep them both this time, I kind of like the zombie modes.

[quote name='Enuf']There's coupons I received as a silver member that'll generate a giftcard but it's in code so there's no way to know why I got it. That's why I always do it in 2 transactions. Plus my local BB makes alot of exceptions probably b/c I shop & price match there so much, they've said numerous times "your gonna spend it here anyways" and THEIR RIGHT! customer loyality at it's finest.[/QUOTE]
If I tried that at my closest two BB stores, they'd be dousing me with holy water and screaming 'get out evil demon' cuz I'm the epitome of a devil customer.:evil: I buy penny guides and price match items with huge price differences(ala those Pokemon games TRU had on sale last week for $5 each) and that's ALL I ever buy from them anymore.:D:booty:

Think it'd be easier to buy the games and get the card from Best Buy then try to get them to adjust it to TRU's price? Maybe they'll ignore the gift card?

Yeah, I know it's YMMV and not their policy to give you deals on top of a price match, but we all like getting the best deal possible!

[quote name='imacgod']Think it'd be easier to buy the games and get the card from Best Buy then try to get them to adjust it to TRU's price? Maybe they'll ignore the gift card?

Yeah, I know it's YMMV and not their policy to give you deals on top of a price match, but we all like getting the best deal possible![/QUOTE]

im trying this tomorrow.
will post my results.

[quote name='xx1jpt5xx']How are you guys price matching at best buy? Are you showing them a printout or just telling them to go to the kmart/tru website?[/QUOTE]

I pulled up the kmart website on my phone showing the price.

[quote name='DudeImGodly']im trying this tomorrow.
will post my results.[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking this might work better or at least it gives you some room to barter.

You can probably say you'd like to just return these games and card instead if they can't price match it. Maybe it'll coax them into price matching and letting you keep the card instead of losing the sale. Might try it later this week myself when I got some time.

But good luck!

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']If I tried that at my closest two BB stores, they'd be dousing me with holy water and screaming 'get out evil demon' cuz I'm the epitome of a devil customer.:evil: I but penny guides and price match items with huge price differences(ala those Pokemon games TRU had on sale last week for $5 each) and that's ALL I ever buy from them anymore.:D:booty:[/QUOTE]

dont you use your BB credit on amazon cards...

thats what I do too

went to store. traded in my ancient Killzone 2 for $20. along with pokemon soul silver. Got Kindle giftcard. Got Amazon credit.
:D

[quote name='nakanenui']dont you use your BB credit on amazon cards...

thats what I do too[/QUOTE]
Usually.;) But they don't sell $5-10 Amazon cards or I'd have used up the last $10-20 in BB credit I had on those.:D

Does anybody know if Best Buy take games labeled not for resale, the ones without a UPC code? I'm planning on trading in Sport's Champion from the Move bundle? TIA!

[quote name='kalel603']Does anybody know if Best Buy take games labeled not for resale, the ones without a UPC code? I'm planning on trading in Sport's Champion from the Move bundle? TIA![/QUOTE]

That is going to be YMMV, I have been turned down from trading in Halo Reach from my legendary edition set because the UPC was different.

[quote name='kalel603']Does anybody know if Best Buy take games labeled not for resale, the ones without a UPC code? I'm planning on trading in Sport's Champion from the Move bundle? TIA![/QUOTE]
that's seriously depends on the person who's taking your trade in's. this one person was about to take my GOW collection that came with the dualshock but refused after his manager started to hover around him while he was doing the trade in's. But the policy is no, no resale games for trade in's.

[quote name='Stimes']Just got back they price matched TRU for Black Ops and WaW. Also gave me the $30 GC without hesitation.[/QUOTE]

Do you do the PM at the cash register or do you have to take it to the service desk? How do do you get them to do the PM, I've never done it at BB.

[quote name='Donutkid2222']that's seriously depends on the person who's taking your trade in's. this one person was about to take my GOW collection that came with the dualshock but refused after his manager started to hover around him while he was doing the trade in's. But the policy is no, no resale games for trade in's.[/QUOTE]

If you can figure out if there is a BB near you that doesn't have a scanner for doing trade ins, then it is probably more likely. The ones that just scan the UPC code might not work, but there is one BB near me that doesn't have a scanner on the one register that they do trade-ins on, so maybe look around for something like that.

As of today, the CoD exploit works as described. Show the cashier the website, they change the price, they give you a GC, then you trade in 3 -X360 copies & 3 - PS3 copies.

WOW I'm really glad I locked in SSB: Brawl for 30. Now that the news broke it will be a players choice for 19.99 the TIV is down to 11.

Thanks to whoever got the word out early!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='URABAHN']As of today, the CoD exploit works as described. Show the cashier the website, they change the price, they give you a GC, then you trade in 3 -X360 copies & 3 - PS3 copies.[/QUOTE]

Except, do you get one GC or 3? If only one then your doing it wrong...

Just got back from BB. I wanted to get W@W and Black Ops. Since both are on sale at TRU I tried to have BB PM it, but no go on the Black Ops. When the guy helping me called TRU they said it's showing up as $60. I'll go back tomorrow with an official ad from TRU.

BTW, do you guys know if I can trade in 6 of the same game? For instance if I have 6 FF XIII can I trade in 3 in PS3 format, and 3 in XBOX 360 format?

[quote name='ceve2001']Just got back from BB. I wanted to get W@W and Black Ops. Since both are on sale at TRU I tried to have BB PM it, but no go on the Black Ops. When the guy helping me called TRU they said it's showing up as $60. I'll go back tomorrow with an official ad from TRU.

BTW, do you guys know if I can trade in 6 of the same game? For instance if I have 6 FF XIII can I trade in 3 in PS3 format, and 3 in XBOX 360 format?[/QUOTE]

It's YMMV, as all of this BB stuff is -- but they are supposed to take 3 copies of a game, per platform. Some blueshirts will give you the run around about it being the "same game" though.

[quote name='DerClaw']It's YMMV, as all of this BB stuff is -- but they are supposed to take 3 copies of a game, per platform. Some blueshirts will give you the run around about it being the "same game" though.[/QUOTE]

What if I trade in 3 at the store, and 3 online? Will that work? I don't want to raise any red flags at my current BB. I love that store for always letting me trade in with no problems. The next BB is 20 miles away.

[quote name='ceve2001']What if I trade in 3 at the store, and 3 online? Will that work? I don't want to raise any red flags at my current BB. I love that store for always letting me trade in with no problems. The next BB is 20 miles away.[/QUOTE]

I don't think we ever got clarification on this point in the past. The only information we have that is related is that someone (I think confoosius) said that the online portion may know about the trades done in store because he got an email from them thanking him for his recent trade in or something along those lines. I have never gotten this email before so I can't verify that. I plan on testing this out the probably in the next week by trading in three to the store and then sending a lone copy in the mail and see if they credit the mail copy. To be honest I think they would but I can't be sure.

@dabamus 1st stop, I picked up 4 games on the same ticket & got 2 - $30 GC. 2nd stop, grabbed 2 more, got another $30 GC. 6 x $20 + $90 in credit.

[quote name='URABAHN']@dabamus 1st stop, I picked up 4 games on the same ticket & got 2 - $30 GC. 2nd stop, grabbed 2 more, got another $30 GC. 6 x $20 + $90 in credit.[/QUOTE]

Looks like I might be making a trip back to Best Buy tomorrow. Hm

[quote name='Brenex']I don't think we ever got clarification on this point in the past. The only information we have that is related is that someone (I think confoosius) said that the online portion may know about the trades done in store because he got an email from them thanking him for his recent trade in or something along those lines. I have never gotten this email before so I can't verify that. I plan on testing this out the probably in the next week by trading in three to the store and then sending a lone copy in the mail and see if they credit the mail copy. To be honest I think they would but I can't be sure.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they sent me an email thanking me for trading in a game and said I'd get my gift card soon. Then they sent me another email saying "oops, you were given that gift card in store, you will not be sent a gift card."

I don't remember giving my email in store but I think they do require a phone number right? (at least the first time you trade in?)

[quote name='URABAHN']@dabamus 1st stop, I picked up 4 games on the same ticket & got 2 - $30 GC. 2nd stop, grabbed 2 more, got another $30 GC. 6 x $20 + $90 in credit.[/QUOTE]

Damn. I may just have to do that then. :p

[quote name='confoosious']Yeah, they sent me an email thanking me for trading in a game and said I'd get my gift card soon. Then they sent me another email saying "oops, you were given that gift card in store, you will not be sent a gift card."

I don't remember giving my email in store but I think they do require a phone number right? (at least the first time you trade in?)[/QUOTE]

They have always asked me for my phone number but today was the first time they asked me for my email. I hesitated but gave it anyways. I'm just not going to give my email address in the future, just in case.

[quote name='Brenex']They have always asked me for my phone number but today was the first time they asked me for my email. I hesitated but gave it anyways. I'm just not going to give my email address in the future, just in case.[/QUOTE]

If you have a RZ card, they already have your email anyways when you give them your phone number.

I am assuming this would work but just to clarify.

I have about 45 dollars in BB Gift Cards, could I have them Price Match 2 copies of W@W, buy them for $40 and change, get $30 GC, then trade in both copies of W@W and get $40 back?

[quote name='dabamus']If you have a RZ card, they already have your email anyways when you give them your phone number.[/QUOTE]

That makes sense but I wonder why they asked for my email address after my phone number today then.

[quote name='jskatt21']I am assuming this would work but just to clarify.

I have about 45 dollars in BB Gift Cards, could I have them Price Match 2 copies of W@W, buy them for $40 and change, get $30 GC, then trade in both copies of W@W and get $40 back?[/QUOTE]

I'll know tomorrow... I'll have to run by TRU to get a few ads for PM purposes...

Edit:
OK, I'm a fucking tard. Who has the WaW for $20 and what are you guys showing them - a print ad or a website???

Did you even check good sir?

0f1198bed5b36e75aece2865c7351e3a.png

[quote name='confoosious']Yeah, they sent me an email thanking me for trading in a game and said I'd get my gift card soon. Then they sent me another email saying "oops, you were given that gift card in store, you will not be sent a gift card."

I don't remember giving my email in store but I think they do require a phone number right? (at least the first time you trade in?)[/QUOTE]

Uh oh. They definitely asked for ID so I'm guessing they have some information on you. So I guess they keep a record of you in database somewhere. And they made me sign something about my trade and I think it had my name and/or address on it.

Guess I'm sticking to the 3 per limit...

[quote name='imacgod']Uh oh. They definitely asked for ID so I'm guessing they have some information on you. So I guess they keep a record of you in database somewhere. And they made me sign something about my trade and I think it had my name and/or address on it.

Guess I'm sticking to the 3 per limit...[/QUOTE]

So? They are gonna call the cops if you trade in more than three and have you arrested or something? :/

[quote name='dabamus']So? They are gonna call the cops if you trade in more than three and have you arrested or something? :/[/QUOTE]

Well if they're not going to accept more than 3 of any game, no point in trying to make the trade and waste my money on trade fodder. :booty:

[quote name='cheeky']Blech! Ghosts of Sparta dropped to 10 bucks.[/QUOTE]

That's unfortunate. But the Toys R' Us deal seems dead-ish. The website only shows the $39.99 version. Still, I would like a copy for myself. Hopefully one will still be in existence come Friday.

[quote name='cheesebu']Will BB take sealed games? I'd rather not open the COD games in case they won't take them for trade at mine.[/QUOTE]

YMMV.

Part of the risk of trying to flip.

[quote name='cheesebu']Will BB take sealed games? I'd rather not open the COD games in case they won't take them for trade at mine.[/QUOTE]
They took my sealed games without any problem

[quote name='sillygal']They took my sealed games without any problem[/QUOTE]

Your BB must be more lax on the video game trade ins.

Well then, I guess it's YMMV whether your BB will take sealed games in.

If you're definitely planning on trading them into best buy anyay, why keep them sealed? Open them up, take the DLC to sell on ebay/craigslist, and take the games to Best Buy. That's what I did with Ghost of Sparta yesterday.

[quote name='sandaz93']I plan on trading in Killzone 2 online for $20, but I don't have the manual. Should I cancel it or send it in?[/QUOTE]

its appears that as of two days ago, they accept disc online trade ins online. So might as well send it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back