Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='cheeky']At gs? Apparently you cant. According to the gm at my local store there is a chainwide moratorium on accepting them currently.[/QUOTE]
Gee. I wonder why THAT is.:evil:;)

[quote name='arsenal_fan']You think they'll give you the GC if you have no cover art? They can be fussy about the GC's[/QUOTE]

Well it's better than sending it with cover art and wrong UPC

People get away with sending disc only online.
I don't see why they'd reject case + disc + manual lol.
It's not like I'm hoarding cover art or anything though :p

So people have been having some luck getting rid of games without the manual huh? I tried to get rid of my Rock Band 2 a while back and couldn't, even for just $4, I have no need for it anyway, be nice to just get it off my shelf.

[quote name='BudzMcGee']So people have been having some luck getting rid of games without the manual huh? I tried to get rid of my Rock Band 2 a while back and couldn't, even for just $4, I have no need for it anyway, be nice to just get it off my shelf.[/QUOTE]

I've been keeping the manuals from all of my trade-ins to speed up the trade in process. So if you are getting blocked it's just a random CSR that doesn't know they can take them.

I've no idea what to do with the manuals. I feel like maybe the next time I do an online trade I'll use them as packing material and that way BB can have them if they want them :/

just putting my experience out there... I was at Best Buy trading some games in the other day and the employee that was helping me was training another employee and she mentioned that they don't require manuals anymore. Just original case and game.

I know people have said this before, but just wanted to add my experience as well!

[quote name='dgwillia006']Dunno, it seemed fairly streamlined when it was at Customer Service. And atleast the employee's up there were nice and attentive.

Hunting down a Best Buy employee out on the store floor is like a giant game of Where's Waldo. (Especially considering they tend to be huddled up in little groups gossiping with each other, as if that was thier job)

On a side note, i miss that topic

[quote name='BudzMcGee']So people have been having some luck getting rid of games without the manual huh? I tried to get rid of my Rock Band 2 a while back and couldn't, even for just $4, I have no need for it anyway, be nice to just get it off my shelf.[/QUOTE]

Even though it's acceptable, we should all try to trade in complete games where possible. At some point, we'll end up re-buying these used games and if Amazon gives a higher TIV, we'll NEED the manuals and cases that everybody kept/threw out.

Besides, it's just good courtesy to trade in a complete game. Whenever I buy a used game, I hate it when it comes incomplete. Should anybody actually buy our trade ins, it makes for a better used game business for Best Buy overall. My point is it comes full circle.

[quote name='Donut2922']Even though it's acceptable, we should all try to trade in complete games where possible. At some point, we'll end up re-buying these used games and if Amazon gives a higher TIV, we'll NEED the manuals and cases that everybody kept/threw out.

Besides, it's just good courtesy to trade in a complete game. Whenever I buy a used game, I hate it when it comes incomplete. Should anybody actually buy our trade ins, it makes for a better used game business for Best Buy overall. My point is it comes full circle.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100% with this. But you have some very selfish people on here.

[quote name='KrayzieKMF']Do they take games that aren't on their trade in value estimator? I am trying to look up gears of war 1 but can't find it.[/QUOTE]

According to the best buy app the tiv is $2

[quote name='Donut2922']Even though it's acceptable, we should all try to trade in complete games where possible. At some point, we'll end up re-buying these used games and if Amazon gives a higher TIV, we'll NEED the manuals and cases that everybody kept/threw out.

Besides, it's just good courtesy to trade in a complete game. Whenever I buy a used game, I hate it when it comes incomplete. Should anybody actually buy our trade ins, it makes for a better used game business for Best Buy overall. My point is it comes full circle.[/QUOTE]

I'm not talking about ditching manuals to save 4 or 5 minutes in the trade-in process. I just have 2-3 games that I bought used that unfortunately didn't have a manual and there were no other options if I wanted to get that game for that price (2 of them are for sure from a Blockbuster B1G1 sale). They aren't games I want forever so I'm just saying it'd be nice to be able to trade them in after all. Don't feel as bad either knowing that whoever buys them can always trade them back to Best Buy in the future.

You gotta do, what you gotta do...I guess. I only want complete stuff myself; therefore, you'll get out what you put in. Amen.

[quote name='BudzMcGee']I'm not talking about ditching manuals to save 4 or 5 minutes in the trade-in process. I just have 2-3 games that I bought used that unfortunately didn't have a manual and there were no other options if I wanted to get that game for that price (2 of them are for sure from a Blockbuster B1G1 sale). They aren't games I want forever so I'm just saying it'd be nice to be able to trade them in after all. Don't feel as bad either knowing that whoever buys them can always trade them back to Best Buy in the future.[/QUOTE]

If you don't have them you don't have them. And since Best Buy doesn't require them, then that's their issue. I wish they would but that's their call.

I'm talking about the people deliberately keeping manuals and artwork cause they're selfish dicks.

[quote name='atc250es']According to the best buy app the tiv is $2[/QUOTE]
Thanks. I'll have to get the app as it sounds like it's more complete then the site.

[quote name='BudzMcGee']I'm not talking about ditching manuals to save 4 or 5 minutes in the trade-in process. I just have 2-3 games that I bought used that unfortunately didn't have a manual and there were no other options if I wanted to get that game for that price (2 of them are for sure from a Blockbuster B1G1 sale). They aren't games I want forever so I'm just saying it'd be nice to be able to trade them in after all. Don't feel as bad either knowing that whoever buys them can always trade them back to Best Buy in the future.[/QUOTE]

Confoosious and I aren't calling you out specifically in this case. We're just making the point that whenever possible, it's better to just trade in games complete if we have the original manuals and cases.

Half of my trade-ins in the last month went directly to Amazon and the other half went to BB. Recently, I acquired most of my used games from BB's 50% coupon deal but instead of trading them back into BB, I had the option to trade in to Amazon because my used copies were complete. The option wouldn't have been there for me if the owner didn't include everything originally.

TIVs don't seem quite as strong as they used to. Dang.

Trying to find some games I have that I could flip towards the Xbox 360 deal they have going right now, and not finding much that seems worth it.

Has anyone here recently sent in a game with no cover art? I just got a hold of a couple Dead space 2 copies and I locked in the wrong UPC.
I'm guessing the best thing to do is pop off the cover art.

I just realized the manual has the same UPC as the cover art
So I guess I'm going to have to trade them in disc + case only.

EDIT: I think I may have locked in the right UPC for DS2
Any way to check what UPC I locked in?

Does Best Buy take in DSi hardware? I don't see any mention of consoles or handhelds being traded in with this program. Looking to see the TIV for a DSi.

[quote name='confoosious']If you don't have them you don't have them. And since Best Buy doesn't require them, then that's their issue. I wish they would but that's their call.

I'm talking about the people deliberately keeping manuals and artwork cause they're selfish dicks.[/QUOTE]

I bet some of them are the same people that will complain when they buy used copies from sites like Gamestop.com and they're missing the manuals/covers yet when they trade in games they purposely keep those materials.

[quote name='nflsonic']Does Best Buy take in DSi hardware? I don't see any mention of consoles or handhelds being traded in with this program. Looking to see the TIV for a DSi.[/QUOTE]

not in store but you can do it online. Right now it is $60

[quote name='Mr Blitzkrieg']Not sure if it's been asked, but when does this 30% bonus promo end?[/QUOTE]

It has been asked. July 2 was the response I was given.

I traded in 3 games today at BB, picked up a $50 Kindle Amazon gift card with it and added it to my account. All is good. :D

[quote name='Rozz']According to Amazon: "Amazon.com physical gift cards are not available for sale in Arkansas, Florida, Illinois, or Louisiana."[/QUOTE]

Ohhh fuck..
Seriously >_<
I have to live in FL :whistle2:#

[quote name='scarhawk']Any way to check what UPC I locked in?[/QUOTE]

Anyone? >_>
I guess I'll just trade in disc + case only because that's all they require. I'm not sure if I locked in the right UPC D:

[quote name='nflsonic']Does Best Buy take in DSi hardware? I don't see any mention of consoles or handhelds being traded in with this program. Looking to see the TIV for a DSi.[/QUOTE]

As of June 19th Best Buy Stores can take in the Nintendo DS Systems. The news that came through was that we can take the DS Lite, DSI, and DSI XL but I have had success helping people trade in the original DS Fat and 3DS as well.

Can you check on the online trade site to see if maybe you could click on the individual games in the order? That'd be the only way I would think you would be able to check. Either that or if you had to print up a manifest to send in with the games, it might be on that someplace.

[quote name='GoVols']Will do. Thanks for your politeness. I just saw someone metioned it a couple of posts above mine and thought they knew because it is advertised at BB as $50 for DS Lite, $75 for DSi, and $100 for DSXL but no fat daddy DS mentioned. I checked and here is the link for anyone else who wants to check hand helds TIV's: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculator.cfm?level=1&value=190 . A fat DS is worth $25.[/QUOTE]

Yep, beat me to it.

Question... Is it possible to trade multiple copies of the same game? If not in the same transaction, how about on separate days?

My brother was asking me about trading in games and I've never done it at BB in the states.

[quote name='scarhawk']Anyone? >_>
I guess I'll just trade in disc + case only because that's all they require. I'm not sure if I locked in the right UPC D:[/QUOTE]

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Can you check on the online trade site to see if maybe you could click on the individual games in the order? That'd be the only way I would think you would be able to check. Either that or if you had to print up a manifest to send in with the games, it might be on that someplace.[/QUOTE]

Hmm I tried finding it yesterday but I couldnt find it too. I had locked in 1 Blops and 3 Halo Reach games for $120 but didn't know the UPC for which I locked in. Called BB and had a hard time getting them to understand my question. The lady kept telling me your trade-in requests were successful and I felt sorry for her since she had no clue what I was talking about. I could have sent them in without the cover art but I agree with a lot of people here when I say I don't really prefer to do that since I recently received a Bioshock PS3 used game without the cover art and manual. So, instead of sending them in without the cover and waiting for a month to receive the $120 GC I went to a BB store and traded in the complete games for $113. That way atleast someone who is buying a used game wont feel cheated.

[quote name='SkankButta']Question... Is it possible to trade multiple copies of the same game? If not in the same transaction, how about on separate days?

My brother was asking me about trading in games and I've never done it at BB in the states.[/QUOTE]

Upto 3 copies of the same game at BB. I traded in 3 of the same game today in the same transaction. Only 2 at Amazon.

[quote name='arsenal_fan']Hmm I tried finding it yesterday but I couldnt find it too. I had locked in 1 Blops and 3 Halo Reach games for $120 but didn't know the UPC for which I locked in. Called BB and had a hard time getting them to understand my question. The lady kept telling me your trade-in requests were successful and I felt sorry for her since she had no clue what I was talking about. I could have sent them in without the cover art but I agree with a lot of people here when I say I don't really prefer to do that since I recently received a Bioshock PS3 used game without the cover art and manual. So, instead of sending them in without the cover and waiting for a month to receive the $120 GC I went to a BB store and traded in the complete games for $113. That way atleast someone who is buying a used game wont feel cheated.[/QUOTE]

I would gladly trade it in store if my BB did no receipt trade ins. I called them up and they said they didn't.
So I'm pretty much forced to send it in w/o cover art and manual (manual has the UPC too). And yeah I clicked the individual trade in, and nothing about the UPC, not even on the mainifest.

[quote name='ironman206']Traded in Black ops and Dead space 2 for a total of $60. Did anyone get the 30% bonus on top of the 2/$60 trade in?[/QUOTE]
how did u get the 2/$60 deal? It has expired. The current deal is 30% Bonus.

[quote name='ironman206']Traded in Black ops and Dead space 2 for a total of $60. Did anyone get the 30% bonus on top of the 2/$60 trade in?[/QUOTE]

You didnt get 2/$60 lol, you got +30% it just ended up being 30 bucks a game

Yeah 19 + 24= 43 (current TIVs)
43 * .3 = 12.9
12.90 + 43 = 56.90

Don't see how he got 60. Maybe TIVs changed or something. Either that or he's rounding up.

[quote name='cheeky']You didnt get 2/$60 lol, you got +30% it just ended up being 30 bucks a game[/QUOTE]

If he got the 30% bonus, it would have been less than $60. He just got lucky and must have found an employee that didn't know what he was doing.

[quote name='dino88']If he got the 30% bonus, it would have been less than $60. He just got lucky and must have found an employee that didn't know what he was doing.[/QUOTE]

They had the 2/$60 flyer at the trade-in desk. BB employee said the were running the promo. I don't know what he was doing in the system, but it took awhile... he did mention that since this was my first trade it would take longer. Sounds like I only got 4 more bucks than I should have.

Traded in some more games today since had a dcent experience and trade in value last time.

This time the manager (I assume seemed a little bit more picky about the cases the games came in) said they might not accept xbox games without the green cases. Since the games i brought were complete..she let it slide. So not sure what the actually "company policy" is on this matter.

Used the giftcards to get some amazon kindle GC's and loaded easily to my amazon account.

BB will probably be my trade in place for now since I like that you can use the CG's to get amazon GC's and TIV's seems to comparable to amazon and GS..

Anyone know when the extra 30% expires? asked the associate but they didnt know when it expires also...

[quote name='jpm804']Anyone know when the extra 30% expires? asked the associate but they didnt know when it expires also...[/QUOTE]
July 2.

Traded 9 games yesterday, most of them older. Went smooth and without issue. Have to say I like the dedicated desk in video games. Girl had her shit together, kind of cute too. Intend to play and trade several more. I have a $25 gamestop giftcard and I wish I could find some titles that trade for next to even price at BB just so I could turn it into BB credit...

[quote name='jpm804']Traded in some more games today since had a dcent experience and trade in value last time.

This time the manager (I assume seemed a little bit more picky about the cases the games came in) said they might not accept xbox games without the green cases. Since the games i brought were complete..she let it slide. So not sure what the actually "company policy" is on this matter.

Used the giftcards to get some amazon kindle GC's and loaded easily to my amazon account.

BB will probably be my trade in place for now since I like that you can use the CG's to get amazon GC's and TIV's seems to comparable to amazon and GS..

Anyone know when the extra 30% expires? asked the associate but they didnt know when it expires also...[/QUOTE]
Isn't company policy to accept disc only games?

Stupid question..

Is the value shown for games with the online estimator what I'll get at the store ? Plus 30% ?

The store is a long drive and I don't want to waste time and gas only to find out I won't get what I expect to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back