Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bgame2']Yes, the preorder 40% bonus is still going on. I just did a trade a few minutes ago.

Also, if Best Buy were inviting people to trade up to 3 copies of game, and had a system which was somehow automatically notifying police that a theft had occurred, I'm pretty sure my legal colleagues would agree that Best Buy would be subjecting themselves to some serious legal (civil) liability. :)[/QUOTE]

Not only that, most of the police in any given area would get very upset very quickly at baseless accusations being sent to them by the store. Wouldn't be surprised if a couple of them would tell BB to stop and if they didn't would likely fine them in the long run; obstructing justice would fit (wasting resources having to respond to the baseless notifications).

I have not had a single problem with trading in anything to BB, and I have only traded in 3 copies of a game, per system on three occasions since it started. Three Darksiders for PS3, three Star Wars Force Unleashed II for Xbox and three more FUII's for PS3. All within the bounds of their stated limitations; and I was even notified of it when I traded in the six FUII's. Notified politely I should add. I've actually talked to several of the girls who work the gaming counter, made pseudo friends with them.

[quote name='DudeImGodly']Heads up to the flippers who do three games on more than one occasion, beat buys systems will automatically notify the police for theft f you trade in over three. I personally can't say if its true, but one of the people I know who work there told me as I was trading in 3x bulletstorm/brink[/QUOTE]

From my experience each best buy only allows up to 3 of the same game per system at one time.

[quote name='flipflop711']Since I'm a cheap ass gamer rookie, what does YMMV mean? And you are correct about being put on hold if you call them. What annoyed me the most about my BB store visit was 1. The 1st guy said yes that he will accept the trade-in with my Target receipts. 2. When I went to the so called "customer service" area, then there were it went to heck, i.e,. hey claimed they couldn't find the 40% deal on the website, BB receipts were required,etc... 4. The 1-888-Best-Buy number said the Rockville store would accept the trade-ins with my Target receipts. 5.The most annoying thing is that I would made "money" on 2 of 3 trade-ins with that 40% vs TOYSrUS .[/QUOTE]

YMMV = "Your Mileage May Vary" Meaning, what worked at one store, or what worked for one person, may not work for all.

The receipt stuff does vary from store to store, trust me, stores are scorecarded on how many trade-ins they do, if they could trade them in they would, but some local laws don't let them without a receipt.

Has anyone got charged with tax when purchasing with the Best Buy Trade In card? I know Gamestop doesnt do that because they use a seperate identifable card that works, but the Best buy trade in card is also identifable but here in TX it still charges the tax. I have contacted the State Comptroller for clarification.

[quote name='Zygote']Has anyone got charged with tax when purchasing with the Best Buy Trade In card? I know Gamestop doesnt do that because they use a seperate identifable card that works, but the Best buy trade in card is also identifable but here in TX it still charges the tax. I have contacted the State Comptroller for clarification.[/QUOTE]

You are charged tax on your purchase because BB puts your trade in credit on a gift card. With Gamestop, if they put it on your PUR card (formerly Edge) it is treated as store credit and not taxed. If your trade in credit was put on a Gamestop giftcard, you would end up getting taxed on your purchases.

Nooooooo!!!!!!! I was gonna trade in Hunted Demon's Forge yesterday for 28, but the game glitched on me and I can't get the plat cuz I had all crystals but it wasn't giving me the trophy. I kept it and ran through the whole game again last night following a walk through. Got every crystal and no trophy/plat. Wake up this morning and the tiv went from 20 to 13! ARGH! so 28 vs 18, damn, im out $10 and didn't even get the freaking glitched plat. /fail

[quote name='Velo214']Nooooooo!!!!!!! I was gonna trade in Hunted Demon's Forge yesterday for 28, but the game glitched on me and I can't get the plat cuz I had all crystals but it wasn't giving me the trophy. I kept it and ran through the whole game again last night following a walk through. Got every crystal and no trophy/plat. Wake up this morning and the tiv went from 20 to 13! ARGH! so 28 vs 18, damn, im out $10 and didn't even get the freaking glitched plat. /fail[/QUOTE]

LOl, you are such a plat whore!!

I am! But i was deprived of it due to glitchiness! I totally knew the tiv could fall, but i was so close to a plat i thought it would be worth it, but here I go, playing through the whole terrible game again in one evening and it still didn't ping. fuck that shia. oh wellz. at least i got my 100% kz 3 + dlc before i flipped that back in.
im contemplating portal2/edf from amazon for 58 and flipping back for 53, but i bet the tivs will fall by then and i know portal 2 and edf will be 20 new someday soon. i gotta work on my backlog anyway...
---also for being such a trophy whore i play CoD games more than anything, and those don't give you any trophies for playing online ;)

[quote name='Velo214']I am! But i was deprived of it due to glitchiness! I totally knew the tiv could fall, but i was so close to a plat i thought it would be worth it, but here I go, playing through the whole terrible game again in one evening and it still didn't ping. fuck that shia. oh wellz. at least i got my 100% kz 3 + dlc before i flipped that back in.
im contemplating portal2/edf from amazon for 58 and flipping back for 53, but i bet the tivs will fall by then and i know portal 2 and edf will be 20 new someday soon. i gotta work on my backlog anyway...
---also for being such a trophy whore i play CoD games more than anything, and those don't give you any trophies for playing online ;)[/QUOTE]

Portal 2 is already rather close to 25 and is an extremely quick platinum. I had a free rental and got that, but it was only for 1 night... so I got EVERY trophy, but the 4 portal one and perfecting area 4 co op (I did all the area's, but not in 1 go like I had to). If I can get it in close to 2 days then I'm sure you can finish it in around 2 - 3 no problem. (I would have finished it btw, but that was when the PSN went down and no one was here to co op Y_Y)

idk, thats why i keep contemplating it. i guess i could get two copies of portal 2 for 54 @ amazon n then flip at bestbuy if it holds for 56 after I plat it. Im just sore now over Hunted, lol, i dont want to get 2 and then it drops to 15 or 13 tomorrow and im out $12 or something, lol. and EDF was amazon deal for 35seconds @ $20, so i dont wanna bite for it more than that...

[quote name='Velo214']idk, thats why i keep contemplating it. i guess i could get two copies of portal 2 for 54 @ amazon n then flip at bestbuy if it holds for 56 after I plat it. Im just sore now over Hunted, lol, i dont want to get 2 and then it drops to 15 or 13 tomorrow and im out $12 or something, lol. and EDF was amazon deal for 35seconds @ $20, so i dont wanna bite for it more than that...[/QUOTE]

Portal has held a pretty solid price since its release.

yeah, i have problems. i got portal 2 on release day through amazon for 35, then ended up trading it in for like 36 cuz i had too many games and knew the value would just go down. same with LA Noire, MK, LBP2, etc, haha. iv bought too many games n then just traded them to break even cuz i knew i wouldnt get to them in time. i ended up just getting edf and portal 2 for 56 total. even if the tiv tanks, both games are worth keeping at 28ish, so no big loss.

[quote name='Velo214']yeah, i have problems. i got portal 2 on release day through amazon for 35, then ended up trading it in for like 36 cuz i had too many games and knew the value would just go down. same with LA Noire, MK, LBP2, etc, haha. iv bought too many games n then just traded them to break even cuz i knew i wouldnt get to them in time. i ended up just getting edf and portal 2 for 56 total. even if the tiv tanks, both games are worth keeping at 28ish, so no big loss.[/QUOTE]
If it's PS3 you do get a Steam copy of Portal 2 as well for PC. So if you have a PC that can run Portal 2, you have a copy of Portal 2 even after you flip it to BB.

[quote name='sixspeednissan']If I trade in for a 40% pre order bonus and have left over credit do I get it back on a gift card, or does all the credit have to be applied to pre orders?[/QUOTE]
You get leftover credit on a giftcard. The last time they did this I came out with about $86 dollars with the preorder credit in place so I preordered a game and got the rest on a giftcard. In fact, I believe you only need to put $5 down on a game to get the deal.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']You get leftover credit on a giftcard. The last time they did this I came out with about $86 dollars with the preorder credit in place so I preordered a game and got the rest on a giftcard. In fact, I believe you only need to put $5 down on a game to get the deal.[/QUOTE]
That is correct. You only need to plunk down $5 on a game pre-order to get the full credit. That's what I did($5 down on Catherine) in order to get all the credit I did.

But if you're expecting BB to get the same kinda pre-order goodies/bonuses like GS at this point you're sadly mistaken. I went in day of launch to pick up Catherine, fully intending to keep my pre-order there with them. But not only did they not have the pre-order bonus soundtrack cd/artbook, but they also only had the "PG"/alternate cover available.:whistle2:#

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']That is correct. You only need to plunk down $5 on a game pre-order to get the full credit. That's what I did($5 down on Catherine) in order to get all the credit I did.

But if you're expecting BB to get the same kinda pre-order goodies/bonuses like GS at this point you're sadly mistaken. I went in day of launch to pick up Catherine, fully intending to keep my pre-order there with them. But not only did they not have the pre-order bonus soundtrack cd/artbook, but they also only had the "PG"/alternate cover available.:whistle2:#[/QUOTE]
Thats extremely weird! When Demon Souls came out they had TONS of copies with these stickers that said "Artbook/OST included".

I traded 2 games yesterday at BB. Mentioned the current GS promo for the $99 3DS. Associate told me that they take systems in-store now: paying $75 for DS Lite, $100 for DSi XL. Can anyone else confirm?

[quote name='whymustiregister']I traded 2 games yesterday at BB. Mentioned the current GS promo for the $99 3DS. Associate told me that they take systems in-store now: paying $75 for DS Lite, $100 for DSi XL. Can anyone else confirm?[/QUOTE]

I can confirm that BB takes systems in-store. Traded a DSi in for 75.00 yesterday. They give the same values as bestbuytradein.com, so just check that before you go in.

[quote name='jacknicklson']My best buy said only handhelds in store for trade in[/QUOTE]

As a BB employee I can confirm this. My store currently takes DSes of all kinds and PSPs of all kinds, but no other systems/consoles.

So yeah, everytime I've gone in to get the 40% bonus my store has made me make a new pre-order (not as lucky as those of you who only have to show a past pre-order receipt). If I keep getting a refund for these pre-orders will I eventually get red flagged for making too many returns? Only one game this fall that I might pick up from them at full price (Arkham City and that only depends on what K-mart or Amazon's final deals will be).

cmon guys, you have been here a long time. read the op!
but really, you keep credit even if you cancel preorder and no, of course the % promos don't stack.

[quote name='isofan1']if i return the preorder i'll get credit right? i already preordered all my games on newegg[/QUOTE]

I just going to say this, they will eventually make pre-orders unreturnable.

I lost my preorder receipt before, and wanted to put it down for Batman instead. Thankfully BB also had another 40% extra trade in, so it all worked out in the end.

[quote name='HyundaiJVX']I just going to say this, they will eventually make pre-orders unreturnable.[/QUOTE]

If GS never did it, I doubt BB will ... but either way, as long as you are not getting a preorder each time you go trade in a 7.50 game, paying 5 dollars in credit to get 40% -- even if the 5 dollars was lost -- will usually be a good idea.

Of course Brink dropped $3 overnight on the day I brought it in. Happens to me EVERY TIME I trade to Best Buy. Still making me pre-order a new game every time I trade in. Still canceling every one of them. Best Buy is annoying me now, especially after the price match fiasco I went through today with Toys R Us. Shame I just flipped a lot of GS credit there. Oh well, I can always just move it to Amazon :)

yeah, i just move it to amazon. i just keep some on bestbuy gc's for when they have deals. like heads up midnite deal tuesday nite, usually good for flip material if they actually have it in stock.

[quote name='admiralvic']Thats extremely weird! When Demon Souls came out they had TONS of copies with these stickers that said "Artbook/OST included".[/QUOTE]
Well they certainly didn't do that with Catherine as the copies out on the shelf were just vanilla copies without the artbook/OST. That's why I did the return of the pre-order, which the employees were completely understanding about.

i want to play catherine and shadows of the damned but im hoping they drop in price first. I hope they don't become rare like hyperdimension neptunia or ar tonilico, i could get them for 45 each, but waiting for 30 or less...

[quote name='Velo214']i want to play catherine and shadows of the damned but im hoping they drop in price first. I hope they don't become rare like hyperdimension neptunia or ar tonilico, i could get them for 45 each, but waiting for 30 or less...[/QUOTE]

I was waiting for those for 30 or less as well but decided to rent Shadows of the Damned from Gamefly...glad I did because it was quite a short game (and easy achievements). But it was such a fun game! I don't see Catherine dropping soon but I want to hold out for 30 for this one because I plan to keep it.

Do you know if pre-orders can be picked up from any store? I'm going to be moving to Indiana here in a couple weeks and all the games I'd like to preorder don't come out until at least mid-September

How reliable is the estimator online? I have a stack of old games that come up as $3, but I'm afraid of going in and them telling me $.50 each. Dumping them all with the 40% bonus would get me a good amount of credit there.

the estimator is 100% reliable. that is what they give you when you trade them in.
and yeah bestbuy tiv +% is the best to dump gamecube/ps2 games. gamestop would give you .35/each, they give like $1-2 ;)

[quote name='sixspeednissan']How reliable is the estimator online? I have a stack of old games that come up as $3, but I'm afraid of going in and them telling me $.50 each. Dumping them all with the 40% bonus would get me a good amount of credit there.[/QUOTE]

FYI- Some best buy stores require a receipt and that the games had to be from Best buy. (they can look it up by your phone #/reward program)
They wouldnt allow me.

[quote name='Byakurai']Do you know if pre-orders can be picked up from any store? I'm going to be moving to Indiana here in a couple weeks and all the games I'd like to preorder don't come out until at least mid-September[/QUOTE]

You have to pick up and/or cancel in the store in which it was preordered. I just asked about this today.

[quote name='Velo214']the estimator is 100% reliable. that is what they give you when you trade them in.
and yeah bestbuy tiv +% is the best to dump gamecube/ps2 games. gamestop would give you .35/each, they give like $1-2 ;)[/QUOTE]

Didn't even think about the Cube. I have a stack of those too. I'll check the prices for those too.

Just a heads up. If you have multiple games (more than 30) in one transaction and the employees take too long to check the discs while the system is idle, the webpage may time out and wipe out the transaction. If you're lucky they can hit the back button the forward button and refresh the screen, which is not guaranteed to work. There is a way to get to the history; however, it will not add the 40% or any promos.

[quote name='Velo214']yeah, i can't justify more than 30 for catherine. the gameplay doesnt interest me at all, so it's all story for me.[/QUOTE]

I'm definitely waiting for a black friday sale.

[quote name='Velo214']the estimator is 100% reliable. that is what they give you when you trade them in.
and yeah bestbuy tiv +% is the best to dump gamecube/ps2 games. gamestop would give you .35/each, they give like $1-2 ;)[/QUOTE]

the best buy trade in center online doesn't show gamecube games.
http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm

are you sure they accept it?? o.0

do we have to go in store and they check prices for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back