Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='HakurenKyo06']You can cancel it np, you only have to put 5 down on the pre-order and then can go back and cancel it later.[/QUOTE]

Good to know. Don't want Madden but can't pass on that bonus. I might just find 10+ games to dump with that kind of bonus.

[quote name='Velo214']cancel is easy. and an easy flip from gs -> bb is sports champs. buy for 6.40 filp for 8 base. 11.20 or 12 w promo preorder[/QUOTE]

My local store had this sale going on since last Friday. Which allowed me to use the B2G1 SOTW from a few weeks ago. It didn't have a cap on the B2G1 and my local store, yes just 1 of the 8 nearby, had 78 on hand for the upcoming sale week (2 stores combined as one was being remodeled). Needless to say getting them for $4.19 was too much to pass up. Netting a 166% profit.

Hopefully I didn't push the envelope to much and get banned from trading into BB. I tried to spread it out to the 4 nearest me, but it was still over the cap at each store. It was also low amounts of money instead of walking out with a few hundred I only walked out with 30ish per trip.

[quote name='Jimmienoman']My local store had this sale going on since last Friday. Which allowed me to use the B2G1 SOTW from a few weeks ago. It didn't have a cap on the B2G1 and my local store, yes just 1 of the 8 nearby, had 78 on hand for the upcoming sale week (2 stores combined as one was being remodeled). Needless to say getting them for $4.19 was too much to pass up. Netting a 166% profit.

Hopefully I didn't push the envelope to much and get banned from trading into BB. I tried to spread it out to the 4 nearest me, but it was still over the cap at each store. It was also low amounts of money instead of walking out with a few hundred I only walked out with 30ish per trip.[/QUOTE]

Please tell me you bought all 78... And said they were "gifts"

Crap, I traded in MvC3 with the Madden 50% promo, but I completely forgot to bring Sports Champion. There's no way to get the 50% again, is there?

[quote name='BmBoWnZ']Please tell me you bought all 78... And said they were "gifts"[/QUOTE]

No I bought plenty of them though. When she asked what I was going to do I took the advice of a fellow CAG and told her it was for an experiment. She gave me one hell of a weird look, then laughed. Then said "whatever it's your money".

With Gamestops having promos every weekend to compete with Best Buy, I think I may be trading back into GS more often. Best Buy is annoying me more and more every time I go in. Denied two price matches within a week, and my store is "sold out" of Kindle cards.

[quote name='Jimmienoman']No I bought plenty of them though. When she asked what I was going to do I took the advice of a fellow CAG and told her it was for an experiment. She gave me one hell of a weird look, then laughed. Then said "whatever it's your money".[/QUOTE]

since you're new at this, you oughtta be aware there's a chance you'll get banned from BB.

Getting banned for Sports Champion is one helluva way to risk losing a trade in option.

[quote name='xskaxninjax']and my store is "sold out" of Kindle cards.[/QUOTE]

You could always get Visa gift cards there. There is a $5.95 charge, but if you trade enough its not that big of deal. I usually save up to $200 then buy 1. Thats the max allowed on the card. Then spend it on anything.

I found about 20 games sitting there collecting dust that have a TIV of $5 or more. Gonna dump them all tomorrow. By my count, i will be at or over $300 with the bonus. This is going to be epic lol.

[quote name='Donut2922']since you're new at this, you oughtta be aware there's a chance you'll get banned from BB.

Getting banned for Sports Champion is one helluva way to risk losing a trade in option.[/QUOTE]

I know right? lol

[quote name='Dranakin']Crap, I traded in MvC3 with the Madden 50% promo, but I completely forgot to bring Sports Champion. There's no way to get the 50% again, is there?[/QUOTE]

YMMV on that. I went in to a BB I normally trade in with and the sales person asked the manager if I could still get the trade in bonus because I had pre-ordered multiple games before. Got the green light, but I don't think that's how it works everywhere.

damn i just got almost 150 in credit due to the 40% and now they offer a 50%? do they price match guarantee on trade ins? im guessing not, but that sucks, but 10 bucks is 10 bucks.

[quote name='the_ENEMY_']damn i just got almost 150 in credit due to the 40% and now they offer a 50%? do they price match guarantee on trade ins? im guessing not, but that sucks, but 10 bucks is 10 bucks.[/QUOTE]

Definitely not.

[quote name='Dranakin']Crap, I traded in MvC3 with the Madden 50% promo, but I completely forgot to bring Sports Champion. There's no way to get the 50% again, is there?[/QUOTE]

Just pre-order Madden again.

[quote name='Jimmienoman']No I bought plenty of them though. When she asked what I was going to do I took the advice of a fellow CAG and told her it was for an experiment. She gave me one hell of a weird look, then laughed. Then said "whatever it's your money".[/QUOTE]

The old science experiment trick works every time ;)

can anyone tell me if the online trade in prices are the same as the local stores? i might go in to trade a few games but i dont want to waste my time if the prices are different.

[quote name='aznhero913']Actual purchase if I'm.not mistaking[/QUOTE]
Crap!! I figured they would pull this and actually make it a pre order instead of a purchase after i unloaded all my games last week during the 40% promo..

[quote name='newbslice']I called my bb and they are only doing the 40% what gives?[/QUOTE]

i'm not sure how everyones gettting the "50% trade in" for madden, when it clearly doesnt show on bestbuy.com?

is this promo ymmv?

Figured I'd ask here.

The best buy I pre-ordered Deus Ex at doesn't have it but all my other BBs do. Can I use my pre-order slip and pick it up at a different BB?

[quote name='seanr1221']Figured I'd ask here.

The best buy I pre-ordered Deus Ex at doesn't have it but all my other BBs do. Can I use my pre-order slip and pick it up at a different BB?[/QUOTE]
no

Site trade-in values match in-store. I believe they are updated every Sunday. My brother and I are taking in 10 games today, should get around $190.50.

I took in 3 games yesterday and got $90. Some guy infront of me brought in like 40 DS games.

[quote name='sasuke543']Anyone know if you could trade in game accessories? Such as the ps move?[/QUOTE]

Only at stores that take hardware. You can check on the BB trade in site to find a store that accepts hardware (ifthere are any near you that is)

just a couple question,
1. when i go to BB, do i do my pre-order first then go trade the game in? or do it all together?
2. Any CAG from KY knows whats requires to trade game in? ID? BB receipt?

[quote name='leung19']just a couple question,
1. when i go to BB, do i do my pre-order first then go trade the game in? or do it all together?
2. Any CAG from KY knows whats requires to trade game in? ID? BB receipt?[/QUOTE]

The pre-order kiosk is right next to the trade-in desk, so either your clerk can do it, or as he's scanning games, you can do it yourself and just give him the pre-order slip.

You'll always need ID to trade a game in. For whether or not you need the original receipt, check your store by using this link: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Electro...In/pcmcat133600050011.c?id=pcmcat133600050011

Traded in Mortal Kombat 9, Blazblue: Continuum Shift and Virtua Fighter 5 today for around $45 after Bonus/$5 Madden Pre-Order.

Picked up Deus Ex: Human Revolution shortly after for $20.XX out of my own pocket. Way happy :)

I've only traded in to BB through the mail, and the local one is a fair ways away (but I sometimes make it out there).

A couple questions (and yes, I did read back several pages):

1: Anyone know if NC is one of the states where the laws are semi-strict and/or BB is uptight with trade-ins? (receipts, pictures, etc) -- I didn't see anything with a quick search online.

2: Is it possible to pre-order Madden, get the 50% bonus, and go back over to cancel said preorder in the same visit? There's no way I'd keep a pre-order with BB, and would rather not make a separate trip just to cancel it. Or, has anyone gotten away with asking them for the bonus without preordering?

at my BB, the trade in counter is completely separate from the customer service one. the girl helping me said i could cancel any pre-order at customer service as it's a completely different process. so i would assume yes.

[quote name='Rhett']I've only traded in to BB through the mail, and the local one is a fair ways away (but I sometimes make it out there).

A couple questions (and yes, I did read back several pages):

1: Anyone know if NC is one of the states where the laws are semi-strict and/or BB is uptight with trade-ins? (receipts, pictures, etc) -- I didn't see anything with a quick search online.

2: Is it possible to pre-order Madden, get the 50% bonus, and go back over to cancel said preorder in the same visit? There's no way I'd keep a pre-order with BB, and would rather not make a separate trip just to cancel it. Or, has anyone gotten away with asking them for the bonus without preordering?[/QUOTE]

NC is not strict, I live in Gastonia and do tons of trade ins at mine, I usually say if I dont want to keep the pre-order, print out the receipt, tell them I want to look around, they add the bonus, and I dont pre-order it as I leave.

'you shouldn't have issues'- yeah, but dont you think it might raise eyebrows if you went in and preordered the game and canceled a few minutes later? i would give it a few days at least so you can say you found a better deal or something. whatev tho

[quote name='buster90']What does Best Buy do with these games after they are traded in? I hardly see any used games for sale on the floor.[/QUOTE]

Most have a 30 day hold period. So in a month you will see floods of w.e was the popular traded game. That or they sell to other used game companties

[quote name='Velo214']'you shouldn't have issues'- yeah, but dont you think it might raise eyebrows if you went in and preordered the game and canceled a few minutes later? i would give it a few days at least so you can say you found a better deal or something. whatev tho[/QUOTE]

Why? You have every right as a customer to cancel your pre-order as it's part of their policy.

I did my first in store trade in today. Took forever as the system was slow first, then she had to fill in so many questions, plus get my thumbprint and sig. Also, stupid system wont allow them to do a game and hardware trade at the same time. DOH!

In the end I was happy to get $49 for my wife's old DS lite that she never uses. They took only $1 off for not having the stylus (wife lost it long ago), which I thought was a good deal.

I know this might've been answered before, but since it isn't on the first post: does trading in a handheld such as a DS Lite apply to the additional 50% for pre-ordering madden? Or do the bonuses only apply to games. Thanks.

[quote name='MasterSun1']Why? You have every right as a customer to cancel your pre-order as it's part of their policy.[/QUOTE]
It's people like you that will ruin this. I think you'd be better off on slick deals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back