Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jer7583']Higher volume gamestop stores have all the below $5 games in drawers behind the counter. A few of the stores I went to simply removed the drawers and let me dig through them. They even printed out a list of all their PS2 inventory so I could see which were at 0.99.
[/QUOTE]

Well, one store I went to just had all the discs in sleeves out on the floor so you could look through them to your heart's content. But I didn't want to deal with disc-only stuff. I still can't beileve Best Buy takes those and knowing my luck they would refuse. So today I found a store that actually had some cases and found those 4 complete $0.99 games. It's really not worth the trouble, but I felt like I was left out so I just had to try the 4. I'm not sure when I'll make it into Best Buy to trade these, but there you go ;).

[quote name='Jonbo298']I didn't do the GS to BB flip as badly as others but I helped clean out a fair chunk of 99 cent PS2 games at the closest GS's to me. I noticed the Gamestop's in a mall had FAR more games than a standalone strip mall style one.

Between 3 GS's and 3 BB's, I made about $350 in profit that I put them all on Visa cards because of the Droid BIONIC coming out today and it was the perfect timing for me. I did have a card from trade credit in the past (maybe over $120 or so?) and used a friend's PUR for the games. Felt sorry for the guys but they were cool about it and struck up nice conversations.

The best part at Gamestop was during my second run, I got about 70-75% of games I got in the first run and the GS guy said "This is the longest receipt I've ever printed" and was going to take a picture. So I told him I have an even worse one in my car. Brought in the receipt from my first major haul and I just watched his eyes seemingly glaze over for a moment and he took a picture of both. :lol: :lol:

Ironically the Best Buy guys were happy to take the trades because they admitted it was basically taking a break for upwards of an hour or longer. I decided to stop doing the flipping after 3 major rounds because the last one had 12 that BB wouldn't accept due to disc condition so I went to Gamers, NE/IA region store for old games (Really old even) and received a fair cash value for them in return since I know they use a professional buffer before reselling.

Thanks CAG! Reading this really saved me a ton of money and let me use GS credit that I had no real need to buy anything at GS for months but now I have an awesome new phone (time to sell the VZW iPhone) and a much much happier man.[/QUOTE]

Awesome story. While I have around $150 in giftcards, I won't get a new phone for a while. My full upgrade isn't until next year so who knows ernst phones will be out by then...

[quote name='Ramandur']lego star wars 3[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Abeja']Yeah it is. 18 base at Best Buy, 18.99 used at gamestop.

I just wish I had my B2G1 coupon.[/QUOTE]

Lego SW III is down to $12 base at Best Buy

[quote name='kouleefoh']Out of curiosity, why the hell is HomeFront not popping up on Bestbuy Trade in Estimator? I tried everything "Home" then "Front" then "home front" and finally "homefront". lol weird.[/QUOTE]
Click the "video games estimator" link on the left side of the webpage. Sometimes games just won't show up on the regular trade in page.

[quote name='io']

For one thing, how the hell do you guys find 100+ old PS2 sports discs that are in any kind of tradeable condition? The 4 I got are near total crap, but I thought I'd give it a shot since everyone else is.
[/QUOTE]

My local stores are (or, were, until I and other CAGs in my area cleaned 'em out) filled with those crappy $0.99 disc only sports games in the sleeves by counter. I just look through the condition of each one before purchasing. A lot of them in the bins were in horrible condition but I managed to find at least 40+ per store that were in tradeable or good condition. Now multiply that store by store and you have hundreds of disc only games good to go for Best Buy.

[quote name='Gamer SDP']I'd also like a confirm about the 50% trade-in towards Gears 3. Planned on trading in Madden 12 for $30*1.4=$42 but guess I'll wait.[/QUOTE]

Starts on Sunday? I'll hold onto my games then. Thanks.

I have a question regarding the current sale. I'm taking up a LOT of my old games after work. Most of them are games that I got at crazy deals, either Blockbuster or Toys R Us clearances. Judging from the online trade in value, I should get a pretty good haul. (Around 500.)

My question is, I know that if I trade them in regularly, I'll get an extra 30%. If I throw in a token pre-order, will that pump ALL the titles up to 40% TIV? Because if that's the case, pre-ordering something like UMvC3 will essentially pay for itself.

[quote name='diceknight']I have a question regarding the current sale. I'm taking up a LOT of my old games after work. Most of them are games that I got at crazy deals, either Blockbuster or Toys R Us clearances. Judging from the online trade in value, I should get a pretty good haul. (Around 500.)

My question is, I know that if I trade them in regularly, I'll get an extra 30%. If I throw in a token pre-order, will that pump ALL the titles up to 40% TIV? Because if that's the case, pre-ordering something like UMvC3 will essentially pay for itself.[/QUOTE]

Yes, you put $5 down and it applies 40% to everything.

[quote name='io']For one thing, how the hell do you guys find 100+ old PS2 sports discs that are in any kind of tradeable condition? The 4 I got are near total crap, but I thought I'd give it a shot since everyone else is.[/QUOTE]
You know the funny part is, I didn't even bother checking them when I was buying them. I just took them straight into BB after buying them regardless of the condition of them.:lol:;)

Although according to the guys from GS they weren't in that bad of a shape, even for being $1 sports titles. Now I just have to figure out what to spend the remaining $3 n change on at GS, since they don't sell a $10 PSN card and I don't feel like paying for a $20 card just to burn up the remaining gc credit.
[quote name='DudeImGodly']No offense, but the DROID Bionic seems just like the Photon 4G, but on a more expensive network, that makes you wait two full years before you upgrade, and costs $200 more on the "subsidized" price.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='Jonbo298']and the Photon 4G is like the Atrix, so what? I get 26% off per month with my corporate discount so it helps on the cost. I get what I pay for and I have no reason to switch. I don't hate Sprint (just at&t). I didn't have to wait 2 full years. Yes, I paid retail but I chose to. I also chose to take advantage of the flipping to help on the cost because I had other things fall into place.

I don't know if you were trying to convince me to switch companies or just put me down (I am aware you said no offense but then you go into this paragraph long negative train....) but it's not going to work. I like the phone. You like yours, if you have a Photon.

Every phone, Every company, Every manufacturer has their own things that people like/dislike. My intention is not to turn this thread into off topic banter over a freaking cell phone(s). All I did was feel like explaining what I did with my profit and thanking the CAG community for letting me get something I wanted.[/QUOTE]
You know the sad part is that probably ALL of those phones are made in China or Mexico for $.50 each and everyone buying them just to have the latest toy is just way overpaying. But if it's what you like, then you shouldn't be dissuaded or offended if someone thinks your choice isn't the best.

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone...o-s-making-money-from-your-smartphone--992247

"In the US, operators try to bring the price down to $100 or $200" Michael Morgan of analysts ABI told us, "and the average selling price to the operator is $400 but you sign a two year contract. Essentially it takes that first year of your contract with them to pay off the subsidy and they start making money in the second year."

lol what? Smartphones are sold at a loss to the carrier with the idea that they make up for it in your monthly fees.

That's why the early termination fees are so high - most of them are taking about a 150% loss on selling a modern smartphone for $200.

Try to buy an iphone 4 or modern android phone off contract for less than $500-600.

If you don't think smartphones are of personal value to you that's one thing but calling them fifty cent toys made in china or mexico is a little bit ignorant.

Just called my best buy, they said they give you less credit if you trade disk only, does this apply with 99 cent games? Or do they never give less than 99 cents?

[quote name='KtMack23']Just called my best buy, they said they give you less credit if you trade disk only, does this apply with 99 cent games? Or do they never give less than 99 cents?[/QUOTE]

Call BS on them. BB either accepts it or doesn't. There is no refurb or hidden fee for games. For hardware yes, but for games no.

And yes they have any right to deny your trade for any reason, but they cannot tack on any fees or lessen the TiV. I would call corporate and complain about the store or specific manager that told you that.

especially if you called and got the customer service desk, they don't know wtf they're talking about with the game trade program.

[quote name='jer7583']especially if you called and got the customer service desk, they don't know wtf they're talking about with the game trade program.[/QUOTE]

Ya I got customer service, I was about to go buy 50+ ps2 games and flip em, but now I'm worried it won't work :/

[quote name='KtMack23']Just called my best buy, they said they give you less credit if you trade disk only, does this apply with 99 cent games? Or do they never give less than 99 cents?[/QUOTE]

Now why would you do that? Looks like you just dug yourself a whole there
it's been stated countless times that BB accepts disc only. What's the difference between a 99c PS2 game and a 1c Xbox 360 game?

[quote name='iRandom']Now why would you do that? Looks like you just dug yourself a whole there
it's been stated countless times that BB accepts disc only. What's the difference between a 99c PS2 game and a 1c Xbox 360 game?[/QUOTE]

How is that digging a whole? Making sure I don't waste $25 some dollars in credit on useless games is digging a whole? Everyone says "BB never goes below 99c on their games" so I thought maybe they'll take off on more expensive games, but not below 99c. Sorry :/

[quote name='KtMack23']How is that digging a whole? Making sure I don't waste $25 some dollars in credit on useless games is digging a whole? Everyone says "BB never goes below 99c on their games" so I thought maybe they'll take off on more expensive games, but not below 99c. Sorry :/[/QUOTE]

BB accepts disc only. Lowest TIV I've seen is $1. Most PS2 games are $1 complete or disc only. Whatever value is reflected on the TIV estimator is the value you'll receive for your games.
Calling them may change their policy of "we also accept disc only" for you at least.

Ya I got customer service, I was about to go buy 50+ ps2 games and flip em, but now I'm worried it won't work :/
It'll work as long as you keep in mind the 3x per game per console

[quote name='iRandom']BB accepts disc only. Lowest TIV I've seen is $1. Most PS2 games are $1 complete or disc only. Whatever value is reflected on the TIV estimator is the value you'll receive for your games.
Calling them may change their policy of "we also accept disc only" for you at least.

It'll work as long as you keep in mind the 3x per game per console[/QUOTE]

Well I just talked to cs, I don't think they'll walk in back and be like "Hey video game guys make sure to screw the guy bringing in the disk only ps2 games". I have another BB like 20 minutes away so I'll go there.

[quote name='KtMack23']How is that digging a whole? Making sure I don't waste $25 some dollars in credit on useless games is digging a whole? Everyone says "BB never goes below 99c on their games" so I thought maybe they'll take off on more expensive games, but not below 99c. Sorry :/[/QUOTE]

well just go buy like, 10 of them.

Gamestop will still do the refund if best buy is a dick about it.

[quote name='KtMack23']Well I just talked to cs, I don't think they'll walk in back and be like "Hey video game guys make sure to screw the guy bringing in the disk only ps2 games". I have another BB like 20 minutes away so I'll go there.[/QUOTE]

I think what he was trying to say is that store managers sometime care if their store is getting taken advantage of. In this case you are playing by their rules, but you are working their system against them.

Most of the people that take your trade ins could care less if you were making out like a bandit. The problem you is when you tip off the store manager (I.e. Asking about 0.99 games and disc only in the same convo) if the CSR has to ask then most likely one of the managers are usually back there and overhear it. I think managers are starting to catch on to the ps2 titles losing money and want to enforce their own law to "save their store". And yes I have dealt with these managers before... And they are major pains.

He was just trying to help in his own words.

yeah i'm done buying those PS2 titles. I'd rather stay in good graces with best buy in case of future flip opportunities.

[quote name='The Punisher']is the 50% trade in offer for gears 3 start next week?[/QUOTE]

Not really 100% confirmed but most likely starts on Sunday. I held off trading in games today for the 50% so hopefully we will get more news.

Just came back from my local BB. I was just told the 50% Gears offer starts on Sunday. Values may or may not drop between these two days, but if you guys think you should risk it, go for it.

I can only assume it'll go on for two weeks. Pre-order and release weeks.

[quote name='Interfeci']Just came back from my local BB. I was just told the 50% Gears offer starts on Sunday. Values may or may not drop between these two days, but if you guys think you should risk it, go for it.

I can only assume it'll go on for two weeks. Pre-order and release weeks.[/QUOTE]

Good to know. May try to go back and snag some more $1 PS2 games for trade-in to round up enough money for the Buy 5 / $100 GC deal.

wow just lost some money on some ssf4 flips. got for 13 on awd, was gonna flip 13 plus bonus, dropped to 8. ugh. i might have to sit out flippn for a bit, go back to buying games just to play ;)

does anyone know if stores' trade-in policies (mainly whether disc only is accepted) are written somewhere in store?

I'd say most employees don't fully know the policies (or difference between their store or company). one time I tried to get a price adjustment on a laptop but the guy said you have to PM when buying. I explained to him I have 14 days (happened to be day 14) to pm/price adjust AND it was from another BB too (never used the 10% extra if found price lower at competitors after BB purchase but doubt 1 third knew of that).

hope to find cheap ps2 games at gs and would like to try my luck. if they say must be complete I'd like for them to point to their trade in terms.

Just a heads up. The BB gaming smartphone app is not always updated on TIVs. Found this out the hard way yesterday. I traded a few copies of Lego Star Wars 3 on Wii and Xbox. The app says $18 for Wii and $17 for Xbox. I was surprised that the computer and the website gave $12 for both. Even until now, the app still says $18 and $17.

Seriously the search function.
Please use it.
It seems like every damn page there are 2-3 people asking the same question with all of them being answered.

BEST BUY DOES ACCEPT DISK ONLY GAMES.

[quote name='DudeImGodly']Seriously the search function.
Please use it.
It seems like every damn page there are 2-3 people asking the same question with all of them being answered.

BEST BUY DOES ACCEPT DISK ONLY GAMES.[/QUOTE]

BAH!!!! That burns my eyes! :lol:

[quote name='Gamer SDP']does anyone know if stores' trade-in policies (mainly whether disc only is accepted) are written somewhere in store?

I'd say most employees don't fully know the policies (or difference between their store or company). one time I tried to get a price adjustment on a laptop but the guy said you have to PM when buying. I explained to him I have 14 days (happened to be day 14) to pm/price adjust AND it was from another BB too (never used the 10% extra if found price lower at competitors after BB purchase but doubt 1 third knew of that).

hope to find cheap ps2 games at gs and would like to try my luck. if they say must be complete I'd like for them to point to their trade in terms.[/QUOTE]

Yes it has been stated multiple times throughout this thread, the gaming app blows. If you have a smart phone make sure you go to the website.

Just got back from BB with a $60 gc, a pre order For BB AC, and 6 ps2 games ima trade in tomorrow. And all I spent was $7 on 4 HDMI cables. So if your BB cs says they don't give full credit for disk only, they're bs-ing you.

[quote name='DudeImGodly']Seriously the search function.
Please use it.

BEST BUY DOES ACCEPT DISK ONLY GAMES.[/QUOTE]

Throw that in the OP.

Seems like the same damn questions get asked every page. And get answered every page.

GS related:
Thanks for the hint to ask if they have more :ps2: games behind the counter. I never thought to ask. I tried 3 stores thus far, and the first store (stand alone store) had a whole bin/table set up with random priced games, the second store (in a mall) had no :ps2: or :gc: stock whatsoever, and the third store (strip mall) had a smaller selection of :ps2: games than the first store.

I am waiting on 36 games to trade on monday to take advantage of the new BB paid membership 10% bump, and the GoW3 50% bump. I hope to visit another store (#4 stand alone) Sunday to see what they might have available. After this 36 bunch, I would have traded close to 90 games. Wish I could have found more so I could burn through the credit I have at GS.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='nakanenui']Throw that in the OP.

Seems like the same damn questions get asked every page. And get answered every page.

GS related:
Thanks for the hint to ask if they have more :ps2: games behind the counter. I never thought to ask. I tried 3 stores thus far, and the first store (stand alone store) had a whole bin/table set up with random priced games, the second store (in a mall) had no :ps2: or :gc: stock whatsoever, and the third store (strip mall) had a smaller selection of :ps2: games than the first store.

I am waiting on 36 games to trade on monday to take advantage of the new BB paid membership 10% bump, and the GoW3 50% bump. I hope to visit another store (#4 stand alone) Sunday to see what they might have available. After this 36 bunch, I would have traded close to 90 games. Wish I could have found more so I could burn through the credit I have at GS.[/QUOTE]

I forgot about the 10% bump...and what is the deal with the GOW3 bump..I preordered like a month ago...will all of that still apply to me?

Fyi my bb does not accept disc only games even though dealtree sent me an email stating that they do. I saw some disc only games for sale at the one across town tho, and they do accept them.

[quote name='DudeImGodly']the gow3 bump has not been verified just a rumor[/QUOTE]
My Saturday paper has the Sunday ads in them (not really sure why but whatever). Gears extra 50% does start tomorrow.

Damn so If I went in there Monday with some games I could get a 60% bonus with this Rewards Zone card.

Gotta say guys, I hated Best Buy like a few months ago, but they have really impressed me with their tradein, promos, and now this EDGE card thing. Also had some great deals on games.

[quote name='JediJames2']My Saturday paper has the Sunday ads in them (not really sure why but whatever). Gears extra 50% does start tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

People who have posted the ad haven't said anything about it though?

[quote name='iRandom']Care to let us in on this Edge card? Is it something new or have I missed out on something cool?[/QUOTE]

It's called Gamers Club Unlocked and it is basically the exact same thing as the PUR EDGE program. $14.99 a Year (or those that are subscribed to @gamer right now get a year for free)

10% bonus credit/ 10% off used games
Special Events/Promotions
The @ gamer magazine 10 times a year

http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Reward-Zone-Gamer-s-Club/Gamers-Club-Changes-Coming-9-12-11/td-p/320180

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back