Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the topic of overpriced used games... saw Brink pre-owned for $39.99 today when it sells for $29.99 new on the other side of the aisle, oh and of course there is the $20 off coupon making it $10.

Best Buy really has their shit together in terms of trade-ins but they need to get it together in terms of used game sales.

Anyone know if you participate in these trade in promos, would bb still pricematch some of these gift card promos? Or would they consider a promo to be already applied?

Looking to trade in games with 40% and want to pricematch a 20 gc from gears 3 at kmart.

[quote name='BudzMcGee']Best Buy really has their shit together in terms of trade-ins but they need to get it together in terms of used game sales.[/QUOTE]
The used prices change pretty frequently but most stores only check prices tags on Sunday before the store opens. Also I thinking having a 3rd party handle the pre-owned games probably causes a bigger lapse in time for price adjustments.

Give it time people. The trade-in process appears to be getting smoother for most and I'm sure as more and more used games hit the shelves that will become smoother as well.

[quote name='shosh']Anyone know if you participate in these trade in promos, would bb still pricematch some of these gift card promos? Or would they consider a promo to be already applied?

Looking to trade in games with 40% and want to pricematch a 20 gc from gears 3 at kmart.[/QUOTE]

Price Matching gift card deals is very YMMV these days. It seems that the official corporate policy has changed, although it isn't explicitly clear (it doesn't outline gift cards, simply "free gifts" with purchase offers) and some managers will accept it some won't.

The trade in and purchase are two separate deals though. So while a little shady, you could always do the trade in and when you go to purchase say that you would like to price match said deal (helps to have an ad with you) and go from there. If they deny you the price match you can always turn down the purchase of the game, they might say something to the extent of the trade-in promo, blah blah blah, but you had every intent of purchasing the game with the price match when you traded in the games and they aren't going to force you to give back the gift card so they can deduct the 40% bonus (worse case you could always just do a pre-order of something else instead to make up for it, but only if they are making a really big scene about it). Just make sure you talk to a manager about the Gift Card price match, some store employees will shoot you down (and in my case last week, make up blatant lies) without ever even asking the manager. Many cases the manager is likely to do the match because they'd rather get the sale than have you walk out empty handed.

Wait, so are these trade in gift cards not locked into the price of whatever preordered game? Say I got a bf3 preordered, I can use it on gow3? Or even amazon gcs?

[quote name='shosh']Wait, so are these trade in gift cards not locked into the price of whatever preordered game? Say I got a bf3 preordered, I can use it on gow3? Or even amazon gcs?[/QUOTE]

Trade-ins yield regular Best Buy gift cards. Period. I bought $150 worth of Amazon Kindle gift cards with the BB gift card just the other day.

[quote name='Dalerax']Trade-ins yield regular Best Buy gift cards. Period. I bought $150 worth of Amazon Kindle gift cards with the BB gift card just the other day.[/QUOTE]

I'm talking about getting that extra 40 with preorder promo. Cant someone just lie to get 40% extra?

[quote name='shosh']I'm talking about getting that extra 40 with preorder promo. Cant someone just lie to get 40% extra?[/QUOTE]

That's what I'm talking about too. I pre-ordered Gears for the 50% bonus, then cancelled it a few days later. They are done on two separate transactions: one pre-order, then one trade-in with a percentage markup. The pre-order is it's own entity, while the trade-in produces a generic BB gift card.

[quote name='shosh']Anyone know if you participate in these trade in promos, would bb still pricematch some of these gift card promos? Or would they consider a promo to be already applied?

Looking to trade in games with 40% and want to pricematch a 20 gc from gears 3 at kmart.[/QUOTE]
They don't usually price match gift card or bundle promos or at least that's what they always tell me.:bomb:

I'm gonna get there at 12:30 or so, AFTER the madness! my best buy is a 5-6 minute walk, rather get it today than snag it in the morning, go ahead and get it outta the way!..hope they have some extra beanies for me!

Officially no, bestbuy does not match gift card/coupon/free item promos offered by competitor retailers.

There is always the YMMV factor though. I have a local bestbuy that tells me they will pricematch amazon....but they only do so selectively based on the amount of discount i show them.

[quote name='tightclaws']I am just hoping I can walk in, pick up my Gears and leave. Everything at Best Buy is a hassle.[/QUOTE]
You don't like how long they take on trade-ins, you don't like being hassled, yet you're still willing to shop there.:lol:

That sounds like my former situation with Gamestop. When I was trading shit in there still I'd bitch about their shitty trade values, crap condition merchandise and being hassled to pre-order again and again, yet I'd still be there with bells on when they had a B2G1 or halfway decent promo to exploit with those shitty tiv's.

[quote name='kouleefoh']Never been to any midnight release. What to do and what to expect?[/QUOTE]

Awesomeness. Free swag usually cheap food if not free. Tournaments gamers having a good time.

Just came back from Best Buy and traded in Red Dead Redemption and Call Of Duty Black Ops

Red Dead = $13
Call Of Duty = $23
----------------------
$36

+ 40% trade in bonus = $50.40

Red Dead was with No game case or manual and Call Of Duty was my favorite game, but it's time to move on.....

[quote name='Dalerax']That's what I'm talking about too. I pre-ordered Gears for the 50% bonus, then cancelled it a few days later. They are done on two separate transactions: one pre-order, then one trade-in with a percentage markup. The pre-order is it's own entity, while the trade-in produces a generic BB gift card.[/QUOTE]
how do you go about canceling the preorder? is it like 5 bucks down and you get it refunded?

sorry, i dont do preorders so i don't know what it entails.

Is it safe to assume the values I get offered online are the same values Id get in store? Then just add 40% since Ill be preordering something?

They kill amazon TIV on a lot of older games even before the 40% is added.

EDIT

Do they take regular old xbox 1 games? I got a bunch still that I never got rid of.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had an odd thing happen today while trading. Was trading a third copy of Trackmania Wii and before I could let the guy know to just look it up in their system he decided to scan it. Not sure what it found from that but it popped up a message saying something along the lines of "Cannot accept more than three copies of a game per system per year." I was also trading some disk only PS2 games that I know were over that limit but he said the message was only popping up for Trackmania. He then searched manually for the game and used the UPC in the system; everything worked fine at that point and the message did not pop up again. Weird.

Quick question, I'm planning on heading to BB after class and just wanted to make sure that I could trade as many ganes towards the gow3 40% bonus even if the amount surpasses the $60 retail price of the game? And would I be abke to use that additional trade in amount towards the $40 Live membership? Thanks!

[quote name='yoneek']Quick question, I'm planning on heading to BB after class and just wanted to make sure that I could trade as many ganes towards the gow3 40% bonus even if the amount surpasses the $60 retail price of the game? And would I be abke to use that additional trade in amount towards the $40 Live membership? Thanks![/QUOTE]
Yes ans Yes.

[quote name='yoneek']Quick question, I'm planning on heading to BB after class and just wanted to make sure that I could trade as many ganes towards the gow3 40% bonus even if the amount surpasses the $60 retail price of the game? And would I be abke to use that additional trade in amount towards the $40 Live membership? Thanks![/QUOTE]
You do your trade and they'll ask if you want to get one of the promos. So in your case for buying Gears 3 +40% is automatically added to your total and it's all thrown on a gift card so you can do with it whatever you want (after buying Gears 3 of course).

whatever your credit amount is, it does not have to go towards the purchase of gears. You can spend it on anything.

Received my Gears of War 3 DLC today from BB. It's the Mechanic Baird one. I didn't even pick the game up, I just pre-ordered Gears due to the 50% trade-in bonus.

[quote name='skateraXVIII']Received my Gears of War 3 DLC today from BB. It's the Mechanic Baird one. I didn't even pick the game up, I just pre-ordered Gears due to the 50% trade-in bonus.[/QUOTE]

Haha, same thing happened to me. Now im wondering what to do with this code.

[quote name='DCpinoy']Haha, same thing happened to me. Now im wondering what to do with this code.[/QUOTE]

apply it to your account for when we can get gears for $10 in 6 months

[quote name='tightclaws']No Sell it on Ebay for 25 or 30!!![/QUOTE]

Seriously. Strike while the iron is hot. I paid for gears by selling my bb and amazon codes.

[quote name='mgford11']Seriously. Strike while the iron is hot. I paid for gears by selling my bb and amazon codes.[/QUOTE]

ditto that. just sold my DLC code for $30 on ebay. and I thought I'd be lucky to get 3 bucks for it...

[quote name='confoosious']trust no one.[/QUOTE]

If they have a decent marketplace rating and/or rep on the site for being trustworthy, I don't see the problem.

[quote name='tepro']I'm surprise these codes go for this much, regretting trashing my madden 12 code, wondered how much they went for?[/QUOTE]

$5-10 for the rookie/soph team one

Didn't get my code, but i also didn't pick up my copy yet either. So some of you haven't picked up nor paid it in full, and still got the code?

Messed up because I'm still waiting for the R3 code. Something must be wrong with my preorder process...

Sold mine for like $19 but the fees made it $18. The one I got from Best Buy probably should of sold it sooner to get the $25-30.

Had to call to get my code last night, and still don't have unlocked on my account, spent 20 mins with a BB guy who tried to resolve it, he ended up asking me to wait a few more days, and gave me 500 points (10$) for my patience.

[quote name='tightclaws']No Sell it on Ebay for 25 or 30!!![/QUOTE]

It's crazy how much somebody is willing to pay for something as simple as a character skin. It used to be that the developers would just include that kind of stuff in a game as an unlock but now they charge for it... and to think they're getting upset about people reselling used copies of games since they make no profit.:roll:

When you pre-order a game and want to get the free DLC, can't you just print out a pre-order tag in games section, then take it to cashier, make sure they have your name adress and e-mail correct, then pay $5. The code comes to you in e-mail on release day. i don't think you even have to scan your rewards zone to get DLC. Just make sure e-mail is in system. Correct????

[quote name='GoVols']When you pre-order a game and want to get the free DLC, can't you just print out a pre-order tag in games section, then take it to cashier, make sure they have your name adress and e-mail correct, then pay $5. The code comes to you in e-mail on release day. i don't think you even have to scan your rewards zone to get DLC. Just make sure e-mail is in system. Correct????[/QUOTE]
Correct protocol, however the system still seems to be having issues.

I haven't gotten my code yet and the dude called me the other day telling me my preorder is ready to pickup. All I want is the code, I was just going to pay for it then return it, same with Wal Mart, I ordered a copy at WalMart yesterday since they were still doing the DLC bonus, it says it wont be fulfilled for like a week and a half lol.

What are the odds BB does another 50% extra trade in towards something like Rage or BF3 soon? Or was the 50% towards Gears an error since it's now 40%?

[quote name='hustletron']What are the odds BB does another 50% extra trade in towards something like Rage or BF3 soon? Or was the 50% towards Gears an error since it's now 40%?[/QUOTE]
Wasn't an error but was only last week. Dropped down to 40% on Sunday.

I'd say there's a good chance for MW3 but not to sure about BF3 yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back