Best Buy [Unlocked] $20 RZ Cert. Pre-order Promo (Splinter Cell: Blacklist, GTA V, South Park: The Stick of Truth)

Status
Not open for further replies.

htz

CAGiversary!
Staff member
Feedback
4 (100%)
*READ THE FAQ & THIS WHOLE POST BEFORE POSTING A QUESTION*

https://myrewardzone.bestbuy.com/offers/offersandpromotions/info/0900a76f8009c50a

Game pickup deadlines

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='cancerman1120']I love how adhering to the rules of a corporate policy is now "abuse". Get off your high horse.

I personally do not believe this rumor. The 60 day window has only been in effect 6 months. So are they reducing it to 15 days also? It was 45 days before that. I find it hard to believe that a company thinks it will increase business by decreasing its price matching while every other competitor has been increasing its price match options.[/QUOTE]

cag-employees have been reliable in the past so i don't see why it would change now. I know we want to wait until we hear from more sources but already this would affect cags like me that were planning to preorder games like Crysis 3 or even MG:R. If the policy is retroactive, that would make these two titles even less enticing to preorder for Day 1.

[quote name='Donut2922']cag-employees have been reliable in the past so i don't see why it would change now. I know we want to wait until we hear from more sources but already this would affect cags like me that were planning to preorder games like Crysis 3 or even MG:R. If the policy is retroactive, that would make these two titles even less enticing to preorder for Day 1.[/QUOTE]

Well if it is true I would think it would not be retroactive. I could see a split policy rather than 15 day return window. I could see them maintaining the return period while decreasing the price match period. I also find it strange they are waiting one extra month to reduce the Silver return period. The rumor might very well be true but I still think BBY ends up losing more than it gains by doing it. It makes Amazon a lot more attractive to me for sure.

I am not going to complain if they do it though. The $20 RZ cert + price match has been a too good to be true deal. All it means to me is less day one sales going forward. I would most likely wait on Tomb Raider but my other two spring games (Infinite and Last of Us) are must buys no matter what.

[quote name='bojay1997']There's a difference between adhering to the rules and manipulating those rules so you can run a no-risk small business. Regardless, now all of us have to deal with the aftermath, just like we did when Amazon got rid of their post-sale price protection.[/QUOTE]

I agree I guess with that sentiment. The thing is why are they going whole hog with this if it is only video games they are having issues with. Why not just change the video game price match policy. It seems to me it is either a widespread store issue or just a general business direction they have decided to try. I just do not see the $20 RZ cert deals + Pming to be the reason to change an entire store policy they just made more flexible in the last 6 months.

[quote name='bojay1997']There's a difference between adhering to the rules and manipulating those rules so you can run a no-risk small business. Regardless, now all of us have to deal with the aftermath, just like we did when Amazon got rid of their post-sale price protection.[/QUOTE]

I agree I guess with that sentiment. The thing is why are they going whole hog with this if it is only video games they are having issues with. Why not just change the video game price match policy. It seems to me it is either a widespread store issue or just a general business direction they have decided to try. I just do not see the $20 RZ cert deals + Pming to be the reason to change and entire store policy they just made more flexible in the last 6 months.

I know about a month or so ago I was on the phone with CS and the guy mentioned that there was talk about lower the return/pm window to 45 days. So maybe the rumor is true and the 45 days will be for Silver members (which makes sense as that is still 30 days more than everyone else, just like it is now). But 15 days for everyone is just ridiculous.

[quote name='aircobra']I know about a month or so ago I was on the phone with CS and the guy mentioned that there was talk about lower the return/pm window to 45 days. So maybe the rumor is true and the 45 days will be for Silver members (which makes sense as that is still 30 days more than everyone else, just like it is now). But 15 days for everyone is just ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

You could be right, or maybe they go 15 for general customers and 30 for Silver. The fact that they will only PM BB.com and store pricing after purchase is the more problematic point, but also where they were probably losing the most revenue. It seemed like every week during the last few months of 2012, a new post was popping up here about how a new opportunity to PM a prior purchase under the GZ $20 offer was available. It really got annoying when people were demanding differences of literally a dollar or two despite having PM'd once or twice before already on the same title. I personally don't understand anyone really needing more than a week or two to decide whether or not to return something unless it literally breaks in which case the 15 days will be a concern.

http://gizmodo.com/5973222/best-buy...rying-to-price-match-walmarts-iphone-discount

I didn't expect the price match policy to last forever, it doesn't make any business sense to me considering the amount of overhead a brick and mortar retailer incurs compared to an online retailer's warehouse. Considering technology is moving at such a rapid pace, giving a 30-60 days price match/return period is kind of crazy.
It's a losing game to try to be the lowest price option for every product from every retailer online and in the store.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324352004578130792723656824.html

[quote name='TooPoor']So this is where CAG stands :D:

-----------------FACTION 1: Blame it on the "abusers"-----------------

-----------------FACTION 2: I don't believe it-----------------

-----------------FACTION 3: Sad to see this go-----------------

-----------------FACTION 4: Stop bitching about your agony to see this go-----------------[/QUOTE]

FACTION 5 (me): fuck this shit, I'm buying from Amazon.

The only time I see a real issue with returns past 15 days that do not involve what CAGs are doing is in the case of buying gifts. They do a good job of handling that during Xmas but during the rest of the year you will have to buy gifts no more than a week prior to giving it to be sure if the person does not like it you can do a return.

[quote name='bojay1997']The fact that they will only PM BB.com and store pricing after purchase is the more problematic point, but also where they were probably losing the most revenue.[/QUOTE]

This here is what I'm most concerned about....

[quote name='htz']http://gizmodo.com/5973222/best-buy...rying-to-price-match-walmarts-iphone-discount

I didn't expect the price match policy to last forever, it doesn't make any business sense to me considering the amount of overhead a brick and mortar retailer incurs compared to an online retailer's warehouse. Considering technology is moving at such a rapid pace, giving a 30-60 days price match/return period is kind of crazy.[/QUOTE]

ok that is fine but...

Best Buy Co., Inc. (NYSE: BBY) today announced revenue of $12.8 billion for the nine weeks ended January 5, 2013 compared to $12.9 billion for the nine weeks ended December 31, 2011.

$65,000 is chump change even if it was one day. It represents 0.00051% of their entire holiday sales. I am not saying they do not have a right to change their policies to be profitable but this is not an issue with policy but rather the enforcement. IF the phone was out of stock at Wal-mart then BBY should have not priced matched anything. That is their policy as it is written today. Don't say the policy does not work when you do not follow it right. Plus would they not get the 2 year commission on the contracts?

[quote name='htz']http://gizmodo.com/5973222/best-buy...rying-to-price-match-walmarts-iphone-discount

I didn't expect the price match policy to last forever, it doesn't make any business sense to me considering the amount of overhead a brick and mortar retailer incurs compared to an online retailer's warehouse. Considering technology is moving at such a rapid pace, giving a 30-60 days price match/return period is kind of crazy.[/QUOTE]

Funny how the first user posted about hating BB more. It's the other way around for me. Everytime i step into a Walmart i feel like i'm a poor dude living off of welfare. It feels dirty to be in there with the rest of that crowd.

If Best Buy keeps offering the $20 RZ cert with new games then changing the PM policy will have little impact on me. I'm perfectly happy to keep the chain going even if I have to pay $60+tax here and there. As long as I get that $20 return at some point on a brand new game, I'm satisfied.

[quote name='Donut2922']Funny how the first user posted about hating BB more. It's the other way around for me. Everytime i step into a Walmart i feel like i'm a poor dude living off of welfare. It feels dirty to be in there with the rest of that crowd.[/QUOTE]

hahahaha, I get the opposite feeling. Compared to walmart people, I'm a 1%er!

(But even so, I only go there when I absolutely have to.)

I know there must be some shitty Best Buys out there but the two I frequent are really nice and I'd hate for them to go out of business.

so in regards to metal gear rising, do you guys think it's worth the preorder? i'm on the fence for this but don't really know much of the game. I have yet to play the demo (finals week)

I have mgs4 for ps3 and hd collection for 360 (which i'm looking to swap for the ps3 version)
sadly these are backlogged and have been collecting dust. i am a fan of the series but haven't been following this particular game.

worth 60?

[quote name='cancerman1120']ok that is fine but...

Best Buy Co., Inc. (NYSE: BBY) today announced revenue of $12.8 billion for the nine weeks ended January 5, 2013 compared to $12.9 billion for the nine weeks ended December 31, 2011.

$65,000 is chump change even if it was one day. It represents 0.00051% of their entire holiday sales. I am not saying they do not have a right to change their policies to be profitable but this is not an issue with policy but rather the enforcement. IF the phone was out of stock at Wal-mart then BBY should have not priced matched anything. That is their policy as it is written today. Don't say the policy does not work when you do not follow it right. Plus would they not get the 2 year commission on the contracts?[/QUOTE]
That is just one example of how price matching is hurting Best Buy's business. Price matching leads to lower profit and cash flow. Best Buy can go bankrupt because of a shortage of cash even while profitable. Have you ever asked yourself, how does best buy turn a profit on all those day 1 launch games that we have been PMing during the 30-60day pm period along with the $20 RZ cert promo? If you bought black ops 2 on launch and pmed to the $39.99 price during the week before Christmas at Target, you essentially paid only $20 which I doubt leaves any room for profit.

[quote name='htz']That is just one example of how price matching is hurting Best Buy's business. Price matching leads to lower profit and cash flow. Best Buy can go bankrupt because of a shortage of cash even while profitable. Have you ever asked yourself, how does best buy turn a profit on all those day 1 launch games that we have been PMing during the 30-60day pm period along with the $20 RZ cert promo? If you bought black ops 2 on launch and pmed to the $39.99 price during the week before Christmas at Target, you essentially paid only $20 which I doubt leaves any room for profit.[/QUOTE]

I am not going to pretend to know what BBY makes on games they sell for $60 but they also put their games on sale for $39.99 so that lost $20 from the price match at Target is a moot point. So what we are talking about here is the $20 cert which is money that goes right back to BBY. So from a cash perspective I give them $40 cash and they give me a coupon for $20 off something else in store. They are not selling me that game for $20. What I do with the $20 cert will determine part of the profitability of the sale.

Still getting a 20 RZ will be fine by me but the number of preorders I get will decrease. Hopefully we get can find out soon.

[quote name='tokyostomp']so in regards to metal gear rising, do you guys think it's worth the preorder? i'm on the fence for this but don't really know much of the game. I have yet to play the demo (finals week)

I have mgs4 for ps3 and hd collection for 360 (which i'm looking to swap for the ps3 version)
sadly these are backlogged and have been collecting dust. i am a fan of the series but haven't been following this particular game.

worth 60?[/QUOTE]

I am considering buying it day one for the $20 RZ bonus, and because I have put in a little dent in my backlog. My two cents is wait for a price drop unless you want the $20 bonus and you are going to play it right away.

[quote name='cancerman1120']I am not going to pretend to know what BBY makes on games they sell for $60 but they also put their games on sale for $39.99 so that lost $20 from the price match at Target is a moot point. So what we are talking about here is the $20 cert which is money that goes right back to BBY. So from a cash perspective I give them $40 cash and they give me a coupon for $20 off something else in store. They are not selling me that game for $20. What I do with the $20 cert will determine part of the profitability of the sale.[/QUOTE]
Even if Best Buy were to offer the game at $39.99, it doesn't excuse the fact that price matching is squeezing out Best Buy's profit margin. It wouldn't surprise me to see them revise the price match policy next month is what I'm trying to point out. The current price match policy is only helping them in the short term, Amazon will just sit there watching Best Buy bleed dry trying to compete with them.

[quote name='htz']Even if Best Buy were to offer the game at $39.99, it doesn't excuse the fact that price matching is squeezing out Best Buy's profit margin. It wouldn't surprise me to see them revise the price match policy next month is what I'm trying to point out. The current price match policy is only helping them in the short term, Amazon will just sit there watching Best Buy bleed dry trying to compete with them.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I am not sure how they combat this. That is why I think all this has more to do with a store wide issue and nothing to do with the $20 RZ + price matching because the solutions to that problem are way more simple than a store wide change. I do agree though that the price match + $20 RZ is a loser for BBY.

I do wonder how this will help them long term though. With declining sales already I cannot imagine how reducing the price match is going to help drive sales. Someone must have convinced management that the money lost from price matching is greater than the money lost from decreased sales due to the reduced price match window.

[quote name='cancerman1120']I am not going to pretend to know what BBY makes on games they sell for $60 but they also put their games on sale for $39.99 so that lost $20 from the price match at Target is a moot point. So what we are talking about here is the $20 cert which is money that goes right back to BBY. So from a cash perspective I give them $40 cash and they give me a coupon for $20 off something else in store. They are not selling me that game for $20. What I do with the $20 cert will determine part of the profitability of the sale.[/QUOTE]

Stop. You're looking at this completely wrong because you're looking at it from YOUR perspective.

(Removing tax from the equation.)

Best Buy understands already what a $20 certificate is worth. It's obviously not $20 cash. Say it's $15 cash or $10 cash or whatever.

Best Buy asks EA to subsidize a preorder. EA agrees to "pay" $15 (or $10 or whatever) for the promotion. Best Buy gives you the $20 GC. Best Buy is net 0 on the preorder deal.

Now, Target does a deal with EA too but it's just a straight $10 off promo two weeks following release.

When BB PMs that Target price, without a subsidy from EA, they are in effect losing that $10. (I wonder if they call it a marketing expense.)

Or if they put the game on sale for $40 a month later, that's because of a different subsidy from EA for $20. EA is not going to stack two subsidies for them.

That's why the PM policy loses money, especially when it's stretched over a long period of time and increases the chances of a promotion elsewhere.

This is completely different from your straight 50% retail markup items where if you PM, you're just making less margin. e.g. Amazon sells a $10 widget for $18 and Best Buy sells it for $20. By PMing amazon on the widget, BB only makes $8 instead of $10. Now, BB has higher overhead but at least they're not losing money straight off the top.

I suspect that price matching Amazon on already low margin products is killing them because they have so much overhead. Mentally looking through a best buy store, I gotta think most of their merchandise is really low margin stuff.

short version: price matching is killing BB. It's not like they want to get rid of it just for shits and giggles.

[quote name='tokyostomp']so in regards to metal gear rising, do you guys think it's worth the preorder? i'm on the fence for this but don't really know much of the game. I have yet to play the demo (finals week)

worth 60?[/QUOTE]
well, if gearbox can outright charge $60 for alien colonial marines, and $99.99 for the collector edition of the game, which is an abomination. why isn't metal gear rising worth more than $60. LOL

Just got a text from my girlfriend who also happens to work at a Best Buy (I won't say where, obviously) but she was letting know about the policy change. She's looking into the Silver option, but I don't think she'll be able to find out anything concrete.

This is somewhat sad, but it was fun while it lasted. I'll be more selective with my choices here on out.

[quote name='advanced']Just got a text from my girlfriend who also happens to work at a Best Buy (I won't say where, obviously) but she was letting know about the policy change. She's looking into the Silver option, but I don't think she'll be able to find out anything concrete.

This is somewhat sad, but it was fun while it lasted. I'll be more selective with my choices here on out.[/QUOTE]

So she confirmed what Biggy said about the policy changes too? :(

[quote name='Donut2922']So she confirmed what Biggy said about the policy changes too? :([/QUOTE]

Yeah. Her text said, and I quote, "Price match 1day. Return 15days. New policy starts in March". She loved me getting cheaper games as much as I did, so there is no reason she'd fib about any of that. She's also a CS/SO girl at her store, so she'd definitely be in the know.

[quote name='advanced']Yeah. Her text said, and I quote, "Price match 1day. Return 15days. New policy starts in March". She loved me getting cheaper games as much as I did, so there is no reason she'd fib about any of that. She's also a CS/SO girl at her store, so she'd definitely be in the know.[/QUOTE]
thanks for confirming it, now ppl can stop posting "I won't believe till i see it" ,LOL. why would any1 lie about something like this

[quote name='YBX87']thanks for confirming it, now ppl can stop posting "I won't believe till i see it" ,LOL. why would any1 lie about something like this[/QUOTE]

Just doing my part. CAG has saved me a lot of money of the years, trying to pay it forward.

[quote name='confoosious']Stop. You're looking at this completely wrong because you're looking at it from YOUR perspective.

(Removing tax from the equation.)

Best Buy understands already what a $20 certificate is worth. It's obviously not $20 cash. Say it's $15 cash or $10 cash or whatever.

Best Buy asks EA to subsidize a preorder. EA agrees to "pay" $15 (or $10 or whatever) for the promotion. Best Buy gives you the $20 GC. Best Buy is net 0 on the preorder deal.

Now, Target does a deal with EA too but it's just a straight $10 off promo two weeks following release.

When BB PMs that Target price, without a subsidy from EA, they are in effect losing that $10. (I wonder if they call it a marketing expense.)

Or if they put the game on sale for $40 a month later, that's because of a different subsidy from EA for $20. EA is not going to stack two subsidies for them.

That's why the PM policy loses money, especially when it's stretched over a long period of time and increases the chances of a promotion elsewhere.

This is completely different from your straight 50% retail markup items where if you PM, you're just making less margin. e.g. Amazon sells a $10 widget for $18 and Best Buy sells it for $20. By PMing amazon on the widget, BB only makes $8 instead of $10. Now, BB has higher overhead but at least they're not losing money straight off the top.

I suspect that price matching Amazon on already low margin products is killing them because they have so much overhead. Mentally looking through a best buy store, I gotta think most of their merchandise is really low margin stuff.

short version: price matching is killing BB. It's not like they want to get rid of it just for shits and giggles.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I always appreciate information rather than a shout down (not that you or anyone else did on this). I definitely want BBY around so if that means an end to the $20 cert and PM so be it. It will change the way I buy but that is the way it goes.

How is a text from a girlfriend confirming? Is this posted anywhere else? Blu-ray fourms or other places? I'm sure their has to be a document somewhere that has leaked...

Amazingly nothing turns up with a quick google search. Just references the 30 change that started on Feb 28 2012.. So this 30 on everything would have lasted 1 year to the day

[quote name='joshnorm']How is a text from a girlfriend confirming? Is this posted anywhere else? Blu-ray fourms or other places? I'm sure their has to be a document somewhere that has leaked...

Amazingly nothing turns up with a quick google search. Just references the 30 change that started on Feb 28 2012.. So this 30 on everything would have lasted 1 year to the day[/QUOTE]

Believe what you want to believe, man. I'll be going forward expecting it to change and if it doesn't, I'll be an extremely happy CAG.

[quote name='advanced']Believe what you want to believe, man. I'll be going forward expecting it to change and if it doesn't, I'll be an extremely happy CAG.[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying your wrong I know AT&T changed the 30 day to 14 day recently due to the returns hurting the bottom line. But in an age of camera phones and leaked documents until something that's not hearsay comes out its just hearsay

I am a big Best Buy spender but if true, it will significantly impact my spending. The main reason I shop at Best Buy is I have 60 days of insurance on pricing.

1. I am hoping there are different rules for Silver.

2. I have zero problem with the return policy being 15 days.

3. I hope people understand that there are always consequences when a system is abused.

OK I spoke with a friend of mine, known him for...4 years or so now. He is a Back Office Lead at one of the biggest Best Buy's in New York.

He said he has not heard of any such thing. That does not make it untrue, just that he hasn't heard any such thing. He does find some things very strange though.

1. This info was found out, let's say on Sunday, start of this week. Which would be just under a month till the new policy is in effect. BUT not every store is aware of this, because he knows his isn't. So if we say it is not known even on a store level nationwide that means Best Buy is planning on heavily changing their policy with at MOST 3 weeks notice. When they changed it from 45 days to 60 days stores knew months in advance

2. Best Buy extended their return/price match policy less than a year ago. It cost them a good amount to do this. To throw it out the window so soon makes little sense.

3. He said his store sees very little price matching in comparison to the overall return/purchase volume. So for them to restrict the PM window so heavily also doesn't add up.

This does not mean it's not true, just that this isn't widely known if true. I can see them reducing it, but to basically kill it and with such a little window of time makes very little sense.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']OK I spoke with a friend of mine, known him for...4 years or so now. He is a Back Office Lead at one of the biggest Best Buy's in New York.

He said he has not heard of any such thing. That does not make it untrue, just that he hasn't heard any such thing. He does find some things very strange though.

1. This info was found out, let's say on Sunday, start of this week. Which would be just under a month till the new policy is in effect. BUT not every store is aware of this, because he knows his isn't. So if we say it is not known even on a store level nationwide that means Best Buy is planning on heavily changing their policy with at MOST 3 weeks notice. When they changed it from 45 days to 60 days stores knew months in advance

2. Best Buy extended their return/price match policy less than a year ago. It cost them a good amount to do this. To throw it out the window so soon makes little sense.

3. He said his store sees very little price matching in comparison to the overall return/purchase volume. So for them to restrict the PM window so heavily also doesn't add up.

This does not mean it's not true, just that this isn't widely known if true. I can see them reducing it, but to basically kill it and with such a little window of time makes very little sense.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. I was thinking about Point #2 earlier today which made me doubt the validity of this PM change although I guess it is still plausible. Hopefully we get confirmation one way or the other soon.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']OK I spoke with a friend of mine, known him for...4 years or so now. He is a Back Office Lead at one of the biggest Best Buy's in New York.

This does not mean it's not true, just that this isn't widely known if true. I can see them reducing it, but to basically kill it and with such a little window of time makes very little sense.[/QUOTE]

3 is also noteworthy. I have shopped my entire life at two very high volume Best Buys and the customer service managers always tell me that very few actually ever pricematch.

Returns are the killer...free rentals, scams, etc....

[quote name='BiggyP2P']I'm gonna preface this by saying that I won't disclose the store I work for but some major changes are in the works. Beginning around the beginning of March (3rd I believe) the company is changing their return policy to 15 days. The price match policy is changing to 15 days as well. The wording in the learning states that a competitor price match is valid only at the time of initial purchase. Any matches done after purchase only apply to in store or bestbuy.com price changes. The wording makes it seem like competitor price matches will not be allowed after day one purchase.

Summary: 15 day return/PM window is coming in March. Silver members are also losing the 60 day window in April.

The employees at this store aren't happy at the moment.[/QUOTE]

It was fun while it lasted, sure saved me a lot of loot though. But Best Buy is still number one on my book. If i pre-order all 12 games with $20 back from each game im getting $240 back 4 games are paying for themselves GS never in a million years

I do not PM all too often so Im still completely satisfied with just the $20 certificate on the few games I was going to get day 1. Which is only DS3, Infinite, and Riptide. This Sunday will actually be my first price match after purchase, and what seems to be my last which is fine.

Well if this does end up being true I won't be preordering as many as I was going to. I'll only preorder games I truly want (Tomb Raider, Bioshock, Metal Gear, Gtav) and not games I'll be on the fence about (Crysis 3, South Park, Gears of War and Splinter Cell).

I preordered and picked up Dead Space 3 and the normal points from the purchase are pending on my account, but I don't see anything about the 1,000 points from the GCU promo.

[quote name='Vap']Well if this does end up being true I won't be preordering as many as I was going to. I'll only preorder games I truly want (Tomb Raider, Bioshock, Metal Gear, Gtav) and not games I'll be on the fence about (Crysis 3, South Park, Gears of War and Splinter Cell).[/QUOTE]

I just preorder everything anyway. If I decide that I don't want the game I can always get my money back without losing the possiblity of getting a $20 certificate.

[quote name='Dev518']I preordered and picked up Dead Space 3 and the normal points from the purchase are pending on my account, but I don't see anything about the 1,000 points from the GCU promo.[/QUOTE]

It's pending on my account too. Don't worry about the 1000 points, they will come soon.

[quote name='Zolor23']It's pending on my account too. Don't worry about the 1000 points, they will come soon.[/QUOTE]

Will it eventually say 1,000 points pending or will they just appear in my current balance?

[quote name='Dev518']I just preorder everything anyway. If I decide that I don't want the game I can always get my money back without losing the $20 certificate.[/QUOTE]
How...?

[quote name='TooPoor']How...?[/QUOTE]

I meant without losing the possibility of getting the certificate, because you would have seven days to decide if you wanted to pick the game up or just get a refund for the preorder.

There is going to be a change in BB's return policy. Our CS associates are taking training regarding the change. What the change actually entails; I am not sure. I will check tomorrow.

[quote name='pnarkiew']Last of Us release day has been pushed back. Not updated above.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the reminder.

P.S. Does anybody notice the June 14 date is on a Friday?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back