Best Buy [Unlocked] $20 RZ Cert. Pre-order Promo (Splinter Cell: Blacklist, GTA V, South Park: The Stick of Truth)

Status
Not open for further replies.

htz

CAGiversary!
Staff member
Feedback
4 (100%)
*READ THE FAQ & THIS WHOLE POST BEFORE POSTING A QUESTION*

https://myrewardzone.bestbuy.com/offers/offersandpromotions/info/0900a76f8009c50a

Game pickup deadlines

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Lord Hamm']Typical Best Buy

Treat loyal paying customers like devilish scum trying to take you.[/QUOTE]

Yeah they are such assholes for trying to stay solvent. The nerve.

Hmm, in store pick up for MGRR or shipping? PS3 or 360? Hard to say, really don't want to spend the gas. Closest BB to me is like 40 minutes away without traffic.

[quote name='TheCollegeGamer']Hmm, in store pick up for MGRR or shipping? PS3 or 360? Hard to say, really don't want to spend the gas. Closest BB to me is like 40 minutes away without traffic.[/QUOTE]

Unless you need to have it day one, free shipping should be a no-brainer.

can a best buy insider clear this up or confirm?:
i recently spent a hour on the phone with RZpremier customer service and asked for more details on the tradein + $20 promo
to sum up the call, she said that "for example" if i ordered 5 black ops i would only get 1 $20 cert. but if i ordered 5 black ops [ 1-360 2-ps3 3-wii 4-wiiU 5-psvita ] for different platforms i WILL get $20 for each one, netting me $100 for the set of 5, this includes limted/collector editions BUT will count toward the platform [ so NO 360 +360 collectors , you end up with 1 $20 cert.]
the lady also said as to trade ins the store credits you on the points earned BUT the gift card you recieve will not earn RZ points when redeemed regardless of what you buy. i argued that i should earn points on trade as well as my purchases but she ended up telling my that reward zone "does not honor" gift cards as payment , so i asked, "what if its a merchandise credit?" and she couldnt give me an answer and asked me to call back later ........
Any blue shirt able to confirm both ?

Yeah, my friend messaged me earlier, it is changing to what has been reported....I feel Best Buy is going to lose a lot of customers AFTER they piss them off when they deny a simple return. Limiting it is one thing, but they are essentially taking it from 100 down to 10.

[quote name='guidecenter']can a best buy insider clear this up or confirm?:
i recently spent a hour on the phone with RZpremier customer service and asked for more details on the tradein + $20 promo
to sum up the call, she said that "for example" if i ordered 5 black ops i would only get 1 $20 cert. but if i ordered 5 black ops [ 1-360 2-ps3 3-wii 4-wiiU 5-psvita ] for different platforms i WILL get $20 for each one, netting me $100 for the set of 5, this includes limted/collector editions BUT will count toward the platform [ so NO 360 +360 collectors , you end up with 1 $20 cert.]
the lady also said as to trade ins the store credits you on the points earned BUT the gift card you recieve will not earn RZ points when redeemed regardless of what you buy. i argued that i should earn points on trade as well as my purchases but she ended up telling my that reward zone "does not honor" gift cards as payment , so i asked, "what if its a merchandise credit?" and she couldnt give me an answer and asked me to call back later ........
Any blue shirt able to confirm both ?[/QUOTE]

I am not a blue shirt, but I know the answers.

1. You only get one certificate per select title regardless of platform.
2. Gift cards do NOT earn you points, pure and simple

[quote name='Saix_XIII']Yeah, my friend messaged me earlier, it is changing to what has been reported....I feel Best Buy is going to lose a lot of customers AFTER they piss them off when they deny a simple return. Limiting it is one thing, but they are essentially taking it from 100 down to 10.[/QUOTE]

What is the word on Silver though?

[quote name='cancerman1120']What is the word on Silver though?[/QUOTE]

He didn't give me much detail besides "It is changing" I then said "to that" and he said "yeah". Not sure on anything beyond that.

They really should have done one other the other though, either make the PM window 15 days and still be allowed to price match other stores or keep it at 30 and only allow you to PM Best Buy sales.

Doing both just seems pretty stupid.

Well my Dead Space 3 purchase posted but it is really screwed up. First off I have 2 different purchases that posted. One has my GCU attached and the other does not so I have no idea if either are attached to my pre-order. I knew things were going to be messed up when the CS rep could not use my RZ cert and then did a "loyalty adjustment" to refund my AMEX to use the RZ cert. Well I guess I will still PM to Kmart on Sunday to $44.99 and then hope the 1000 posts eventually.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']He didn't give me much detail besides "It is changing" I then said "to that" and he said "yeah". Not sure on anything beyond that.[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

Yeah it seems like keeping it under wraps is not a good idea. People are not going to be happy either way but at least a warning to people.

I heard they can up to 7 days after shipping but if you do it to much they might ban your account?

I don't get why switch to Amazon. At most they will give you the EXACT same deal as Best Buy.

[quote name='Deader2818']I heard they can up to 7 days after shipping but if you do it to much they might ban your account?

I don't get why switch to Amazon. At most they will give you the EXACT same deal as Best Buy.[/QUOTE]Yeah, and unless they add more titles, they won't have a $20 credit with most of the titles that BBY is including.

I'm just going to be way more picky about preorders now; while I might have considered Tomb Raider at one point, I've decided to wait that one out and (for now at least) just get Bioshock Infinite and The Last of Us on day one (if the Survival Edition ever gets on BBY.com...otherwise I may go with Amazon :bomb:).

[quote name='Deader2818']I heard they can up to 7 days after shipping but if you do it to much they might ban your account?

I don't get why switch to Amazon. At most they will give you the EXACT same deal as Best Buy.[/QUOTE]
The lucky ones still enjoy no tax.

[quote name='Mako1215']So what exactly is the policy for regular and silver changing to?[/QUOTE]

Well it appears that regular is going to be PM local competitor on day of purchase and up to 15 days after purchase at BBY and BBY.com (no more PM of competitor after purchase). Silver has not been confirmed on anything other than it won't happen until April I guess.

[quote name='dino88']Unless you need to have it day one, free shipping should be a no-brainer.[/QUOTE]

Yeah went with Free Shipping. Hoping President's Day doesn't throw it off enough that it takes over a week to get here.

Need to decide between 360 and PS3 now though before locking the order in and waiting. Leaning toward PS3 for the VR missions. I'm not sure how post-Bayonetta Platinum games have been on PS3 though and I did play the demo on 360.

EDIT: It's saying I'm a Silver member, but there's no way I came close to hitting Silver. I know other people had this problem. Has it still not been resolved or am I really Silver?

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']I dont price match either, it seems everyone just looks at me like I am an idiot for price matching something under a $5 savings :(

ashamed[/QUOTE]
You need more CAG in you.

Been away from this thread a few days so am only now hearing about this new PM policy. My question is, can't you pretty easily work around the no PM'ing from other retailers after purchase by buying another copy and returning using your old receipt? Do they have any way of preventing you from doing this?

[quote name='mpaullin']Been away from this thread a few days so am only now hearing about this new PM policy. My question is, can't you pretty easily work around the no PM'ing from other retailers after purchase by buying another copy and returning using your old receipt? Do they have any way of preventing you from doing this?[/QUOTE]

No because it's 15 day return/pm period. Come the 16th day, you're stuck with whatever you have at the price you paid.

So now that this has basically been confirmed, the only remaining question is if this is retroactive. I have most of these promo games already preordered online.

[quote name='mpaullin']Been away from this thread a few days so am only now hearing about this new PM policy. My question is, can't you pretty easily work around the no PM'ing from other retailers after purchase by buying another copy and returning using your old receipt? Do they have any way of preventing you from doing this?[/QUOTE]If you do that for a game that has the $20 in RZ points, then you would forfeit those points because of the return. :whistle2:|

[quote name='panda911']No because it's 15 day return/pm period. Come the 16th day, you're stuck with whatever you have at the price you paid.

So now that this has basically been confirmed, the only remaining question is if this is retroactive. I have most of these promo games already preordered online.[/QUOTE]

Even if you pre-order before the change, the return window doesnt start till you pick up the game.

[quote name='panda911']So now that this has basically been confirmed, the only remaining question is if this is retroactive. I have most of these promo games already preordered online.[/QUOTE]

The are pre-ordered, not ordered. If the ship date is after the change then yes they fall under the new policy, kind of a no-brainer if you ask me.

The real question is, if I buy a game, say Metal Gear Rising, it says I have 60 days (silver) to return/price match. But that takes me into the new policy window. Would I have to follow the new policy even if I bought it during the old one?

[quote name='panda911']No because it's 15 day return/pm period. Come the 16th day, you're stuck with whatever you have at the price you paid.

So now that this has basically been confirmed, the only remaining question is if this is retroactive. I have most of these promo games already preordered online.[/QUOTE]

I'm talking about PM'ing from another store within the 15 day window, which is presumably not allowed under this new policy.

[quote name='Vigilante']If you do that for a game that has the $20 in RZ points, then you would forfeit those points because of the return. :whistle2:|[/QUOTE]

True, but it is still a viable work around for things that aren't in this promo.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']The are pre-ordered, not ordered. If the ship date is after the change then yes they fall under the new policy, kind of a no-brainer if you ask me.

The real question is, if I buy a game, say Metal Gear Rising, it says I have 60 days (silver) to return/price match. But that takes me into the new policy window. Would I have to follow the new policy even if I bought it during the old one?[/QUOTE]

I can't see how they could limit the PM window on purchases made before the policy change. I'm no lawyer or anything, but it seems to me like this shouldn't be allowed.

[quote name='mpaullin']I can't see how they could limit the PM window on purchases made before the policy change. I'm no lawyer or anything, but it seems to me like this shouldn't be allowed.[/QUOTE]

These types of policies usually say "Policy subject to change without notice" Not sure if Best Buy says that on the receipt/website though.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']These types of policies usually say "Policy subject to change without notice" Not sure if Best Buy says that on the receipt/website though.[/QUOTE]

Which really doesn't have anything to do with what he is talking about. They'll most likely have to honor the current policy for purchases made before the new one goes into effect. But it is Best Buy, so I am sure they will find a way around that and make a lot of customers unhappy.

[quote name='mpaullin']I'm talking about PM'ing from another store within the 15 day window, which is presumably not allowed under this new policy.
[/QUOTE]

Misunderstood. Yeh that sounds like a viable work-around to me. The funny thing is that it will only use up more of the already swamped cs' time. Best Buy!

[quote name='mpaullin']I can't see how they could limit the PM window on purchases made before the policy change. I'm no lawyer or anything, but it seems to me like this shouldn't be allowed.[/QUOTE]

I'm a law student and they absolutely can. A policy is not a contract, it can be changed at any time.

What they may run afoul with is something called deceptive consumer practices if there was not enough notice to consumers who purchased something in good faith believing the PM policy would cover their purchases.

But that theory is a big stretch since there likely won't be any fallout from this change except a few angry customers.

In all honesty, I haven't PM'd a single game and I've been part of the BB unlocked promos since they started. Why not? Because I didn't know about the policy and it seemed like a big hassle.

I think I will PM DS3 this Sunday but that's it. Don't expect any other sweet PM opportunities after this change. Because quite honestly, you don't deserve them, at least not for 60 days that policy was silly.

[quote name='panda911']Misunderstood. Yeh that sounds like a viable work-around to me. The funny thing is that it will only use up more of the already swamped cs' time. Best Buy![/QUOTE]

The only difference here is you will be wasting the time of someone at checkout when you buy the 2nd item and then the time of the customer service person when doing the return.

This is really a radical change. If the whole point of this was to prevent things like the Wal-mart iphone deal this still does not do that. Yes it stops the $20 RZ cert deal but that could have been handled differently than the proposed change. Even just making them GC instead of certs would have solved the problem. Now their return window is less than any other retailer which will be a major drawback for customers. I mean Wal-mart has a 90 day return window.

[quote name='atlantis']I'm a law student and they absolutely can. A policy is not a contract, it can be changed at any time.

What they may run afoul with is something called deceptive consumer practices if there was not enough notice to consumers who purchased something in good faith believing the PM policy would cover their purchases.

But that theory is a big stretch since there likely won't be any fallout from this change except a few angry customers.

In all honesty, I haven't PM'd a single game and I've been part of the BB unlocked promos since they started. Why not? Because I didn't know about the policy and it seemed like a big hassle.

I think I will PM DS3 this Sunday but that's it. Don't expect any other sweet PM opportunities after this change. Because quite honestly, you don't deserve them, at least not for 60 days that policy was silly.[/QUOTE]

It says right on the receipt you have 60 days to return the item. I doubt they are going to void any previous transactions after updating the policy. Just like they did not extend the return period for purchases made before the increase from 45 to 60 days.

Edit: Who the fuck cares if you think anyone "deserves" them.

okay so the policy will change, but doesn't that mean PM just become YMMV? You might still be able to find a cool manager that may allow it pass the 15 days anyways right?
Just wishful thinking

[quote name='kouleefoh']okay so the policy will change, but doesn't that mean PM just become YMMV? You might still be able to find a cool manager that may allow it pass the 15 days anyways right?
Just wishful thinking[/QUOTE]

of cuz, when it comes to pricematching at bestbuy. it is always ymmv

[quote name='atlantis']I'm a law student and they absolutely can. A policy is not a contract, it can be changed at any time.

I think I will PM DS3 this Sunday but that's it. Don't expect any other sweet PM opportunities after this change. Because quite honestly, you don't deserve them, at least not for 60 days that policy was silly.[/QUOTE]

Tell me how a receipt isn't a contract? If it says 60 on it they can't magically change it to 15..

I have been thinking about this, as I sure most of you all have and I have come to the following conclusions.

Best Buy's customers fall into a few different categories. Customers who shop on impulse/need, people who shop when they are bored, and people who shop smart.

If we break those down in terms of returns and price matching I would think it breaks down a little further.

1. People who buy things to try em out but with the intent on returning them, this new policy is aimed at them, but others are hit in the cross fire.
2. People who buy stuff without really thinking it through and end up regretting/disliking the product.
3. People who price match to save money.

Best Buy is reducing their overall return period to the lowest in the retail market, 15 days, just over 2 weeks.

As such the people who are #1 will just shop at Wal-Mart or Target who still have bigger windows, so Best Buy will be pushing those people away, I doubt Best Buy really cares about those people.

Then we have #2, those people return very few items, maybe 5-10% of all their purchases. Normal customers do this mainly because they either really like what they buy or just don't want to bother with the work involved in going back to the store and returning it and rather just suck it up and learn from it.

The people who buy something, find they just don't like it for whatever reason will go in to return the item. They will be denied due to the new stricter policy and more than likely will either stop shopping there all together or only buy what they know they will keep. Either way it will reduce the amount of income Best Buy gets from that demographic.

CAGs will just shop a lot smarter, instead of picking up a brand new game with the hope of getting it cheaper, I know I will not be doing that and will instead wait for a store to have it for the price I want and then go and buy it. Basically solving nothing except lowering their overall sales for an initial products release window leaving Best Buy with more product on the shelf and will then need to lower the price themselves to move it.

Again this is just my thoughts/theory on the matter. I just think it is going to back fire on them. I can understand where they are coming from, but why not just back it 30 day return and 15 day price match (all retailers) for normal customers. And then 30 days return and 30 day price match (all retailers) for Silver members.

Makes more sense to me on both sides, but I am not a business savvy person, I am just a CAG who wants companies to survive that deserve to survive *cough* unlike GameStop *cough* and the customer to get good deals.

[quote name='cancerman1120']

Edit: Who the fuck cares if you think anyone "deserves" them.[/QUOTE]

LOL, exactly what I was thinking.

[quote name='Mako1215']Tell me how a receipt isn't a contract? If it says 60 on it they can't magically change it to 15..[/QUOTE]

Um yes they can. The receipt says to go online for more information and details. As of right now here is what the policy says:

Return & Exchange Period
30 days for all products
60 days for eligible products for Reward Zone® program Premier Silver members
Best Buy reserves the right to deny any return or exchange.

The policy changes, they deny the return/exchange because it's past 15 days, simple as that.

I'm not currently a BB unlocked member. If I go in store and join with $15 will I instantly be able to preorder a game and get $20 reward cert?

Instead of shrinking the return window, why can't they add a 5% -10%restocking fee for any opened products. This will prevent scammers to get free rentals of electronic products.

Did they take down the Crysis 1 download for preorders? I don't see it on the Crysis 3 page anymore. I'm worried about the fulfillment.

Despite the changes, I still would preorder day one releases from time to time but obviously not on those titles I am just slightly interested in. I still have a good amount of BB credit from all those trades-ins so Best Buy is still the way to go for me.

If there was any doubt left, Comsumerist is reporting this is true complete with non-answer from Best Buy Corporate. RIP KmartGamer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back