Best Buy YMMV Thread

mikeshinobi

CAGiversary!
Can we have a thread where we share deals we find at our local Best Buys? Of course they're always YMMV but it would give us ideas of what to look out for.

I have two local best buys and each of them had different deals:

Best Buy #1:

• Dragon Quest Builders 2 (NSW): $15.99
Best Buy #2:

• Disgaea 4 (NSW): $15.99
  • Dead Cells (NSW): $10.99
  • Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology (3DS): $12.99 (didn't get this, very sad)
  • Some other 3DS title I was extremely sad I missed out on (3DS): $10.99
There were some others but these were the ones that stood out the most that I can remember.

Also for anyone who doesn't know, if your Best Buy has a price placard out for a game but they're sold out, you can ask an employee to order it for you from their website and they will match their in-store price! Of course they have to have stock on the website though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Select video game steelbooks are on sale at Best Buy for $4.99 each. As of my posting this, all are still available for shipping.

Cyberpunk 2077

DOOM Eternal

Borderlands 3

Yakuza Like a Dragon

Battlefield V

Fallout 76
I have been waiting for the Shenmue 3 steelbook case to drop in price. I wonder why it was not part of this sale. This is definitely a major vary but I found an Anthem, Crackdown 3, and a Mass Effect: Andromeda steelbooks for $1.99 a piece, plus a copy of Blood & Truth (PS4-PSVR) for $10.99 on clearance at my local Best Buy.

I have been waiting for the Shenmue 3 steelbook case to drop in price. I wonder why it was not part of this sale. This is definitely a major vary but I found an Anthem, Crackdown 3, and a Mass Effect: Andromeda steelbooks for $1.99 a piece, plus a copy of Blood & Truth (PS4-PSVR) for $10.99 on clearance at my local Best Buy.
best buy just had shenmue 3 on sale for $10 with the steelbook for free at the end of march

You missed a few sales on Shenmue 3, with the steelbook. Not sure if Best Buy is going to do another one given they've probably burned through much of its inventory at this point. Just make sure to save the item into your account and keep an eye on it.

My mom got a text from this number 19292087015
saying thanks for shopping at bestbuy in 2020. And claiming a contest for ps5. Course she clicks and says she wins, just pay 2$ and enter info. Bungabungaprize redirect. This has to be fake right? I told her probably ignore.

My mom got a text from this number 19292087015
saying thanks for shopping at bestbuy in 2020. And claiming a contest for ps5. Course she clicks and says she wins, just pay 2$ and enter info. Bungabungaprize redirect. This has to be fake right? I told her probably ignore.
My mom falls for text scams that are just as obvious as this one.

Picked up World of Final Fantasy Maxima (XB1) for $8.49 in store.  Its also the same price on the website currently.

Also picked up the following in store:

My Time At Portia (PS4) - $10.99

Assetto Corsa Competizione (XB1) - $10.99

Went to BB last night. The shelves in the game section were barren. Asked for Animal Crossing. Guy said let me get it from the back. Asked about Game Garage Builder. Guy said let me get it from the back. Uh, why don't you place the stuff on the shelves?

Went to BB last night. The shelves in the game section were barren. Asked for Animal Crossing. Guy said let me get it from the back. Asked about Game Garage Builder. Guy said let me get it from the back. Uh, why don't you place the stuff on the shelves?
Same story at most of the Best Buys around here. Sparsely populated shelves every time I stop in to look at Switch games or it looks like a tornado hit them (or both). And the thing is I'm sure many people will come in looking to pick up a game, don't see it on the shelves, and then just assume that they are out of stock and walk out and they end up losing out on a sale over such a simple thing. From what I have seen there's only one location near here that actually seems to keep it well-stocked and organized. I was quite surprised when I saw it. It's rather sad when that is the reaction because of it being an exception.

I placed an order for an open box Dualshock 5 Red controller. Unfortunately it was canceled. How's everyone's experience with open box? I bought an open box Samsung qi charger and it was in good condition. I believe that the previous person had tried it out and then returned it.

For some stores it's pure laziness but others just don't want to risk losing the product.
If risk is the reason, why not a sign that says 'In stock. Ask an employee to get it for you'? Like the other guy said, most people aren't going to bother after glancing at the empty shelves.

For some stores it's pure laziness but others just don't want to risk losing the product.
That's what security cases are for. And if you want to take it step further beyond that then you make placeholders for display purposes. It's a simple thing. But apparently most can't be bothered. Sorry but I just can't accept that as an excuse for what is ultimately just laziness and complacency on BB's part.

A game showed in stock at the store and I couldn't find it so I asked an employee to check in the back and he said he would. After about 20 minutes passed he never came back so I went up and saw him and he said that he forgot about me and then went back and said they had plenty back there if I wanted it... The shelves were mostly barren which makes me wonder if most of their inventory is literally just sitting in the back because they don't feel like putting it out. Wasn't like the store was busy or anything. Also, for whatever strange reason they also keep many games in front by the registers where only employees can access them. Makes no sense, I'm assuming it's just that the employees don't feel like putting the games. The guy was hitting on and flirting with one of the hot female employees and acted annoyed that I interrupted him so I'm sure it's important reasons like that as to why they can't put the games out.

If risk is the reason, why not a sign that says 'In stock. Ask an employee to get it for you'? Like the other guy said, most people aren't going to bother after glancing at the empty shelves.
Some stores known to have high theft do get cards to put out for big releases but it's simply not feasible to do that with everything. My store has 600 skus in stock at the moment.

That's what security cases are for. And if you want to take it step further beyond that then you make placeholders for display purposes. It's a simple thing. But apparently most can't be bothered. Sorry but I just can't accept that as an excuse for what is ultimately just laziness and complacency on BB's part.
Unfortunately the security cases just don't stop some people. There's a reason why Best Buy is the only store that has games you can actually take to the checkout yourself. Walmart and Target would rather lose the $10 they would make selling game if you can't find someone to open the locked case than lose $50 if it was out for someone to steal it.

I do agree on the laziness part though. Stores that don't have them out are of course going to sell less but Best Buy corporate isn't going to force stores to put them out except where the placement is paid for. They would probably be fine if 100% of games were sold via store pickup or ship from store.

My local BB has 679 PS4 games for pickup but only has 50 games face up on one shelf in the plastic individual cases. Of course there's a sign saying grab the slip to get the game even though there are no slips. In the aisle there is a display with the spine showing about another 50 games. I left without buying anything only to go online to do the instore pickup. All associates couldn't be bothered to help me.

Who actually goes to stores to buy games now without first just ordering or checking online?  And in all honesty, if you don't see it, it takes less than a minute to open your phone and check the inventory on the store to see if they have it.

I sincerely doubt Best Buy is losing any material number of sales due to not stocking the shelves.  The vast majority of its customers are tech savvy enough to order/preview online and check its online inventory.  Best Buy, IMHO, has one of the best online retailer sites around from an inventory standpoint (it updates frequently during the day unlike Target or Gamestop).  I buy frequently from them for pick-up/curbside/delivery - and on the off chance it's not on shelf, just check the phone, and if they have it, they bring it to me.

If you're too lazy or not tech savvy enough to do that simple check online, you're actually more than likely not even a customer Best Buy cares much about.  I mean no ill will.  All I'm saying is that  by the retail behavior talked about by some folks here, they probably are just better suited for going to retailers like Walmart or Target.

I'm a grown man who likes to look around and pick stuff out.  

I go there sometimes to browse toys, or pick up new PC/Tablet/Phone parts.  If I'm there, I'll check out the video game isles for interesting titles that I don't see at other stores.  Maybe buy something as an impulse purchase. 

I do agree that their in-store pickup system works better than most of their competition, and I guess if putting more games out ruins that system, it's not really worth it.

Who actually goes to stores to buy games now without first just ordering or checking online? And in all honesty, if you don't see it, it takes less than a minute to open your phone and check the inventory on the store to see if they have it.

I sincerely doubt Best Buy is losing any material number of sales due to not stocking the shelves. The vast majority of its customers are tech savvy enough to order/preview online and check its online inventory. Best Buy, IMHO, has one of the best online retailer sites around from an inventory standpoint (it updates frequently during the day unlike Target or Gamestop). I buy frequently from them for pick-up/curbside/delivery - and on the off chance it's not on shelf, just check the phone, and if they have it, they bring it to me.

If you're too lazy or not tech savvy enough to do that simple check online, you're actually more than likely not even a customer Best Buy cares much about. I mean no ill will. All I'm saying is that by the retail behavior talked about by some folks here, they probably are just better suited for going to retailers like Walmart or Target.
So many times I have been at various BB locations rummaging through the aisle of Switch games where the shelves are either half-empty (or more) and/or the games are largely mixed up and out of place -- and then had other various people come through browsing as well but then they either don't find anything interesting or what they are looking for and then seemingly abandon their shopping endeavor because of it. Many times I've overheard others looking for something and then tried to be helpful by informing them, much to their surprise and unbeknownst to them, that Best Buy has (hides) more games behind the service desk up front for example. Seriously, I've lost count of the number of times that that has happened in the limited amount of time that I have been there. You may be a more informed individual but if my experiences have shown me anything it's that many are not.

Who actually goes to stores to buy games now without first just ordering or checking online?  And in all honesty, if you don't see it, it takes less than a minute to open your phone and check the inventory on the store to see if they have it.

I sincerely doubt Best Buy is losing any material number of sales due to not stocking the shelves.  The vast majority of its customers are tech savvy enough to order/preview online and check its online inventory.  Best Buy, IMHO, has one of the best online retailer sites around from an inventory standpoint (it updates frequently during the day unlike Target or Gamestop).  I buy frequently from them for pick-up/curbside/delivery - and on the off chance it's not on shelf, just check the phone, and if they have it, they bring it to me.

If you're too lazy or not tech savvy enough to do that simple check online, you're actually more than likely not even a customer Best Buy cares much about.  I mean no ill will.  All I'm saying is that  by the retail behavior talked about by some folks here, they probably are just better suited for going to retailers like Walmart or Target.
Come on man. You know that BB (and other stores) don't like informed or tech savvy customers because then they can't take advantage of them by selling overpriced HDMI cables, warranties that don't actually cover what they say they do, and just lying about the products in general so they can get a sale. The majority of customers I see in BB stores don't look that tech savvy or informed or even know anything about technology so they go the store to ask questions and get help and then get taken advantage of by predatory managers and employees. I highly doubt that BB is not putting out stock for this reason. Most likely if it's not inventory they can get commission on then they simply don't care to put it out. Not to mention if an item shows in stock and a lazy employee refuses to check or pretends to check and then just says they don't have it without looking then it doesn't help. The only advantage of this is for us is that it helps keep inventory in stock for online purchases that they ship to stores that otherwise would have been bought by B&M customers.

With Covid19 BB had to pivot hard with foot traffic down so much in their stores.  Moving to being more of a fulfillment center for website has probably saved a lot of jobs.   YES they should do something about the game section in the stores to make it functional for traditional shoppers.  Maybe a kiosk for seeing what's in stock and ordering a game for in store pickup.. or checkout at the register.   This would give the store a way to advertise local specials if they even have those anymore... while still being efficient at pulling copies of games without having to go out to the regular store shelves.

Whatever the case, BB as a shopping experience has been a shell of what it has been for a long time.  Covid just expedited the change.  I'm just glad they adapted and didn't go under.  They've been critical these last two years in me finding some more niche games without having to overpay on ebay.  And forget about Amazon with their mixing of different region games in with their stock due to the third party sellers.   It's too much of a gamble ordering anything that's not new release or near new release.

But yeah, I'm also someone that likes to go in stores and see displays of games.   I'm buying more of what I love and not picking up as many games anymore just because they are cheap and look interesting... but on rare occasions I'll find something I forgot about that I would like to own that's cheaper than anywhere online.  Walmart may have glass cases but you can see most of what's in them and they still (at least every store I've been in) will have a separate open shelf with some individually security cased up games.  Mostly clearance stuff but also some of the $20 bargain games.  I haven't been in a target in ages... last one I was in had all the games locked up with a display copy visible... but then they still had a separate area with bargain games that wasn't in a giant case.

"Walmart may have glass cases but you can see most of what's in them"
Most being the key word here. Anything like the clearance games months ago were irritating to find. Many users have commented on the games being either not facing with the spine out on the bottom of the case or they aren't there at all or locked in the cabinet behind the electronics register.

As for best buy their online ordering isn't super reliable and in my experience with an order they messed up. I had one order where they not only had the wrong game but 3 copies of said wrong game. did a return and they were out of stock for the game I ordered. Ended up having to buy it off eBay though I had a promo code for 15 off so that helped.

But yeah the least that they could have done was offer me a raincheck of some sort or call around to see if they can fulfill the order from another store \ send it to me when they restocked.

Next time I will just keep my mouth shut and resell the wrong games if they are worth it.

Who actually goes to stores to buy games now without first just ordering or checking online? And in all honesty, if you don't see it, it takes less than a minute to open your phone and check the inventory on the store to see if they have it.

I sincerely doubt Best Buy is losing any material number of sales due to not stocking the shelves. The vast majority of its customers are tech savvy enough to order/preview online and check its online inventory. Best Buy, IMHO, has one of the best online retailer sites around from an inventory standpoint (it updates frequently during the day unlike Target or Gamestop). I buy frequently from them for pick-up/curbside/delivery - and on the off chance it's not on shelf, just check the phone, and if they have it, they bring it to me.

If you're too lazy or not tech savvy enough to do that simple check online, you're actually more than likely not even a customer Best Buy cares much about. I mean no ill will. All I'm saying is that by the retail behavior talked about by some folks here, they probably are just better suited for going to retailers like Walmart or Target.
I assume given this website is for video game deals, that some people go to a physical store to buy games in the off chance of scoring a deal. Some stores have lower prices or even clearance prices for games than even the website. It's how I got Call of Cthulhu for 10 bucks two years ago when it was still full price everywhere even at BestBuy.

In terms of products of shelves. I was given the excuse that it was because of COVID and stores not wanting random people touching their merchandise and potentially spreading COVID that way which is why the shelves were barren and now  I'm seeing shelves slowly getting refilled with games and shit.

In terms of products of shelves. I was given the excuse that it was because of COVID and stores not wanting random people touching their merchandise and potentially spreading COVID that way which is why the shelves were barren and now I'm seeing shelves slowly getting refilled with games and shit.
Well it's been that way for years around here, so in this area at least attributing it to COVID would be totally false as it was going on well before then.

I assume given this website is for video game deals, that some people go to a physical store to buy games in the off chance of scoring a deal. Some stores have lower prices or even clearance prices for games than even the website. It's how I got Call of Cthulhu for 10 bucks two years ago when it was still full price everywhere even at BestBuy.
Yep, in particular Best Buy as they often have in-store pricing that is cheaper than what is shown online on clearance items.

In terms of products of shelves. I was given the excuse that it was because of COVID and stores not wanting random people touching their merchandise and potentially spreading COVID that way which is why the shelves were barren and now I'm seeing shelves slowly getting refilled with games and shit.
Best Buy never told stores not to put product out because people might touch it. Putting sanitizer and wipes everywhere is much cheaper then the loss in sales for stuff not being out for grab and go purchases. The empty shelves were purely because they couldn't get the product in but if you go in now and they are pretty well stocked.

The only thing Covid changed product wise was the elimination of temporary cardboard displays (shippers). It was thought that social distancing would be harder if stores were littered with them. It's possible they make a comeback at some point.

My takeaway from all this is it's laziness. Employees want to run to the pile in the back for in store pickup instead of hunting on the shelves for the product that a customer might have misplaced.

Am I the only one who has problems with any type of "special" editions from best buy? Not necessarily collectors editions, but anything that comes in one of those bigger boxes with the cardboard sleeve.

I grabbed the Aladdin & Lion King retro edition that came in the special box earlier this week when it was clearanced and it was shipped in a bubble mailer and got completely destroyed. During BF last year, I ordered the Ori special edition for the XB1 that was also shipped in a bubble mailer and came damaged beyond anything I've ever seen video game wise. Neither I've been able to exchange since they both have become OOS when they were delivered.

Has anyone else had any problems with this? No idea why the employees aren't using boxes for these items.

Am I the only one who has problems with any type of "special" editions from best buy? Not necessarily collectors editions, but anything that comes in one of those bigger boxes with the cardboard sleeve.

I grabbed the Aladdin & Lion King retro edition that came in the special box earlier this week when it was clearanced and it was shipped in a bubble mailer and got completely destroyed. During BF last year, I ordered the Ori special edition for the XB1 that was also shipped in a bubble mailer and came damaged beyond anything I've ever seen video game wise. Neither I've been able to exchange since they both have become OOS when they were delivered.

Has anyone else had any problems with this? No idea why the employees aren't using boxes for these items.
I got the Doom 64 Classic Edition for Switch that was delivered in a Bubble Mailer, Beat up which was annoying since it was sold out, talk to Best Buy Customer Chat about the fact it was sent in a bubble mailer and they apparently were able to send a replacement even though it said sold out on the site

Replacement was sent in the same Bubble Mailer................................................ it was in a better condition.. but I want all my stuff to be in near perfect condition

Prettymuch the only way to get anything shipped in a box is ordering more than one game (3 seems to be the number in my experience) and or getting stuff like eshop/psn cards or a micro sd card.  As THEY LOVE to find the biggest  fuck ing box for those.  And then it slides under the flap at the bottom of the box. Or at least that has been my experience with every retailer. Probably ymmv. 

Prettymuch the only way to get anything shipped in a box is ordering more than one game (3 seems to be the number in my experience) and or getting stuff like eshop/psn cards or a micro sd card. As THEY LOVE to find the biggest fuck ing box for those. And then it slides under the flap at the bottom of the box. Or at least that has been my experience with every retailer. Probably ymmv.
Buddy of mine ordered LOTR and Hobbit steelbook set, one store fulfilled this order and decided to use a giant bubble mailer for both of them. He paid full retail for these btw, over $200 and they can't spare a cardboard box.
cc2eb7a3251d0a56b9b15c4c6cda8aa7.jpg

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

Stores can pretty much do whatever they want when shipping things so anything and everything that can fit in a bubble mailer usually will end up in one. There's no prompt on the screen that tells you to use a box over a certain dollar amount or number of items. If you got a box when ordering a number of games then it's probably because no store had those exact titles and it came from a distribution center instead.

If you're really picky about condition you should buy it from a B&M store so you can inspect it yourself, really. I never expect anything to come perfect in the mail.

Stores can pretty much do whatever they want when shipping things so anything and everything that can fit in a bubble mailer usually will end up in one. There's no prompt on the screen that tells you to use a box over a certain dollar amount or number of items. If you got a box when ordering a number of games then it's probably because no store had those exact titles and it came from a distribution center instead.
New business opportunity not just for BB. Charge extra for guaranteed box mailer.

If you're really picky about condition you should buy it from a B&M store so you can inspect it yourself, really. I never expect anything to come perfect in the mail.
What an absurd comment. Please tell me what B&M store I could have acquired a Scarlet Nexus steel book from. Heck, please tell me which store I should go to on release day so I can get a copy of a game that is already past the point of being sold out of preorders (eg Metroid Dread).

How about the Skyward Sword Joycons that came out today: Tyrok said each BB is getting 12, so I could drive to a BB and check. Website still says it’s sold out and not available at my closest store.

What an absurd comment. Please tell me what B&M store I could have acquired a Scarlet Nexus steel book from. Heck, please tell me which store I should go to on release day so I can get a copy of a game that is already past the point of being sold out of preorders (eg Metroid Dread).

How about the Skyward Sword Joycons that came out today: Tyrok said each BB is getting 12, so I could drive to a BB and check. Website still says it’s sold out and not available at my closest store.
These are not essential items. If you can't get it at a B&M store and inspect it yourself then your only solution is to either miss out on it (not a big deal) or order it online with the expectation that the box won't be 100% perfect and may have a few scratches or dents on it. I personally will be opening my Skyward Sword joycons and throwing out the box so I don't care if it has a tiny dent here or there. It's just a regular joycon set with a new paint job that looks cooler.

But in my experience even B&M items aren't perfect because employees and customers touch them and whatnot. The problem is expecting perfection with everything. Shipping an item in a box won't automatically fix this because sometimes USPS/UPS, etc. drops or damages the boxes, too.

Alt account occasionally (surprisingly) makes good points, but plenty of bad points as well. I'm rooting for yah, but this one was a miss for me.

They made them available for pickup at 1am so I doubt many stores had any left to put on the shelves.

A game showed in stock at the store and I couldn't find it so I asked an employee to check in the back and he said he would. After about 20 minutes passed he never came back so I went up and saw him and he said that he forgot about me and then went back and said they had plenty back there if I wanted it... The shelves were mostly barren which makes me wonder if most of their inventory is literally just sitting in the back because they don't feel like putting it out. Wasn't like the store was busy or anything. Also, for whatever strange reason they also keep many games in front by the registers where only employees can access them. Makes no sense, I'm assuming it's just that the employees don't feel like putting the games. The guy was hitting on and flirting with one of the hot female employees and acted annoyed that I interrupted him so I'm sure it's important reasons like that as to why they can't put the games out.
You should've started hitting on her too to really make him mad.

bread's done
Back